Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

How much experience do 50k denar swords give when you let your troops eat them?

I looked last time I played and it was only 300xp, so I would bet it's capped at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Shear Modulus posted:

How much experience do 50k denar swords give when you let your troops eat them?

About the same as 5000 denar swords assuming they're both tier 6, XP gain is dependant on item tier not value and it's like 300xp for a tier 6 item

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I looked last time I played and it was only 300xp, so I would bet it's capped at that.

Yeah, it seems like the minimum is 75 and max is 300. Better to trade the fancy sword for a bunch of lovely armor

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

IIRC it did convert denars directly into XP when they first added the perk, which lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BMan posted:

IIRC it did convert denars directly into XP when they first added the perk, which lol

Help, my vlandian levy crossbowmen looted some smithed javelins, and now they can levitate and speak in all the tongues of men

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else find themselves just playing M&B merchant for no apparent reason? I have so many games, so many books, so many TV shows. But sometimes I just spend three hours riding around the world map trading goods and filling smithing orders while my money count goes up. Sure, I'll raid the occasional hideout on the way, but that's not the point.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Are there any mods that get more combat use out of the town map sets? Some of the castles and towns have such dope maps but you barely ever see more than the walls/outskirts in combat.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

causticBeet posted:

Are there any mods that get more combat use out of the town map sets? Some of the castles and towns have such dope maps but you barely ever see more than the walls/outskirts in combat.
You can do town fights if you beat up the gangs that hanga round the town maps.
If you run the Serve as Soldier mod, occasionally the notables will hire you to beat up on some rival gangs when the lord you're serving enters a settlement, and sometimes they'll have you lead some of their gangers which nets you some tactics XP. I think the Fouberie mod also has more gang fights in settlements as well.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I go with the weapon xp donation perk because later in the game I literally can't keep up with smelting all the trash weapons I loot from battles. I have better things to do than spending all my time turning these 800 iron bars into weapons, especially when I'm already rich.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Going with both just saves a lot of clicking after battles. That's my only reason for it. :shrug:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Help! I'm a big, stupid baby and have no idea how to siege. Can someone please explain the basics in a way that a big, stupid baby can understand? I don't need the advanced strategies or exploits, just something more than Start siege->Press auto deploy->Watch elite troops get slaughtered by ballistas and catapults->Wait until enough meat has climbed up the ladders->Win.

I understand that I can build sige equipment, but have no idea what I should build or (more importantly) how to actually use them. All my sieges are just troops standing about and occasionally climbing up ladders.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

It's easy. You spam build catapults and hope they hit the opponents machines enough to get you the upper hand. Frequently they don't and you waste a shitload of time on hoping the rng goes your way. Then eventually you give up on ever contesting machines because it sucks and doesn't work properly and you mostly focus on shooting catapult operators yourself.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I had one nice siege defence in my campaign, which I saved and replayed several times. It was interesting seeing how differently each playthrough went- big losses, big wins, everything in between!

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Brandfarlig posted:

It's easy. You spam build catapults and hope they hit the opponents machines enough to get you the upper hand. Frequently they don't and you waste a shitload of time on hoping the rng goes your way. Then eventually you give up on ever contesting machines because it sucks and doesn't work properly and you mostly focus on shooting catapult operators yourself.

But doesn't catapults destroy walls? That seems bad if I want to keep the city for myself later. Also, do I have to assign troops to the catapults, or is that handled automatically?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Freudian slippers posted:

But doesn't catapults destroy walls? That seems bad if I want to keep the city for myself later. Also, do I have to assign troops to the catapults, or is that handled automatically?

I think the wall magically repairs itself between sieges. Your machines automatically target other machines and then walls, no soldier micro required. Ballistas are faster to build and decent at destroying machines but can't touch walls.

This is what I mean by the system not working. If a city has a full set of ballistas you're not outbuilding and outgunning them unless you have good siege skills yourself and spend a shitload of time. Because building your siege weapons outside of the opponents range is stupid, apparently.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 2, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Build rams and siege towers. Catapults and ballistae will get destroyed by counter-battery fire and ladder assaults are a good way to get a lot of soldiers killed.

Siege towers are your best bet at getting on to the walls in a position to contest the defenders.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Someone mentioned this before, but if you click on a fully built piece of siege equipment it’ll give you an option to hide it. So you can build all 4, hiding each on completion, then unleash 4 trebs at the same time.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Someone mentioned this before, but if you click on a fully built piece of siege equipment it’ll give you an option to hide it. So you can build all 4, hiding each on completion, then unleash 4 trebs at the same time.

Yes, this is the kludge for building out of range and then moving them forward. I take a lot of walls by just building 4 trebuchets and creating a breach. I also rarely lose any engines because 4 trebuchets wipe out built engines so quickly.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Build and hide until 4 trebs, unleash at once, use them to destroy walls in the campaign map. Once this happens going in battle map there are 2 large breaches where the ladder entries supposed to be.

Or If you dont have time for that, siege towers and ram, and 4 catapults you unleash at once hoping you can wreck the enemy ballistas/cats in campaign map part.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Thanks for the tips guys! Time to channel my inner Ghenghis :black101:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Valtonen posted:

Build and hide until 4 trebs, unleash at once, use them to destroy walls in the campaign map. Once this happens going in battle map there are 2 large breaches where the ladder entries supposed to be.

Or If you dont have time for that, siege towers and ram, and 4 catapults you unleash at once hoping you can wreck the enemy ballistas/cats in campaign map part.

I'm not sure about everyone else but while this does work eventually I find that it takes a very long time even with four trebs going off on the walls/killing new counterbatteries. So if you are in hostile lands, especially if you aren't part of a doomstack army, then it's probably going to be far safer to just go for rams and ladders.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
If you are sufficiently lucky/ninja-like you can get up a ladder and down to the main gate and open it from the inside.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not sure about everyone else but while this does work eventually I find that it takes a very long time even with four trebs going off on the walls/killing new counterbatteries. So if you are in hostile lands, especially if you aren't part of a doomstack army, then it's probably going to be far safer to just go for rams and ladders.

Yes; it is a lengthy siege style- usually 10-15 days minimum to breach walls. Its a compromise between long wait-less casualties and fast assault-more casualties. Depending on the city map and defender civ some maps are nearly impossible to take without breach.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

If you are sufficiently lucky/ninja-like you can get up a ladder and down to the main gate and open it from the inside.
I have never not seen a gate with 30+ defenders crowding it. Neat.

And yeah, breaching is only the best way if you feel confident you can hang around on the map long enough to take it that way. You'll take very few casualties though, so there is that. Rams and towers are faster and will get you more casualties. I usually build rams and towers as well as trebs so if there is an army large enough that I can't flee or fight, I can try to rush the walls and get inside before the enemy army gets to me.

But also if you've got a decent army sitting around forcing map battles by seiging is a fantastic way to get cash and prisoners.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ravenfood posted:

I have never not seen a gate with 30+ defenders crowding it. Neat.

The trick is to blitz the ladders in order to get to the gate before the melee soldiers move in. For some reason the AI never spawns melee at the gate, so if you can rush the ladders then all you'll find are lovely militia archers guarding the walls and no one at the gate.

If you are lucky and the spawn limit line for the fort is right next to the wall then you can just rush your melee soldiers up the ladders into undefended archers, it's hilarious

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Honestly so long as the enemy walls don't have catapults i'm all good, those things loving murder your troops.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmjT7fuFdfo

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I am a big proponent of retreating your besieging army once you've set it up and pressed the ready button, wait until their castle unloads all their melee infantry because the Balance of Power has swung their way, and they think they're going to catch you on horse back. They'll leave the gate open so you can ride past them, through the open archway and close the door behind you. The enemy archers will stay within the castle but clump up ( they won't hunt you down unless you get up right in their grill ) so you can hide in a tower with an arrow bucket and shoot heads until they're all dead. The guys outside the walls will be waiting near the gate where you can drop boulders on them until you run out, shoot arrows at them ( but that's tedious as they'll have their shields up ). You can open the gate, wait as they'll come in a few at a time, they'll often close the gate behind them conveniently locking their comrades out, and they'll often try to run past you to go up onto the walls, or they'll try to retreat to the keep so you can freely swing ( I like a big 2 hand axe ) at them as they go. The defensive AI is dumb as gently caress.

The only thing stopping you from doing this the moment you start a new game is that if you besiege a castle without having a decent army stack, the defenders will sally out, and you aren't soloing the 500 defenders in a regular battlefield engagement.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 3, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That sounds like one of those situations where Bannerlord becomes an accidental zombie survival game...

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Vlandian Survivor.

I’ve just uninstalled again after my best run yet. Played as an Imperial specced for Charm and Tactics, merc’d around until I could join a nation then joined the Vlandians and started conquering western Empire. After a little while I owned Lageta, Ortysia, the surrounding Imperial castles and a couple of Battanian castles and was pulling in like 5k/day after paying for parties and garrisons.

Then Derthert died and made me king, so I spent a period turning Vlandia into an absolute monarchy and laughing at the barons’ pathetic attempts to reverse centralisation before quitting because the thought of slogging through the endgame was too depressing.

It’s weird though, if you’re king you can’t just unveil the dragon banner on yourself. You have to step down and let someone else have it, or quit and start your own kingdom with blackjack and hookers.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Tree Bucket posted:

That sounds like one of those situations where Bannerlord becomes an accidental zombie survival game...

I don't know how else you explain where these looters keep coming from

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I feel like this got nerfed recently? I usually only squash 3-4 at a time with rocks.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Godlessdonut posted:

I feel like this got nerfed recently? I usually only squash 3-4 at a time with rocks.
I think it's all about angles, heights and target density. If I'm not squishing 7-11 guys a throw it's generally because I'm aiming low, if you're aiming higher so the apex of the parabolic arc is above your head so you're getting that extra gravity assist ( or at least I'm assuming that's what's going on ) you should be getting more than 3-4 kills. Also make sure you're using the murderhole rocks from the gatehouse, I can only get mangonel/onager rocks to reliably kill 1 at a time. Defenders will rarely politely wait under ballista, but it's nice when they oblige ( too bad you can't throw the ballista bolts ). When you're down to the last 30 or so, rocks are definitely less effective but you've probably ran out by then, and that's when you clean up any exposing their backs ( the blob will break up, trying to clip through the wall so they can escape to the keep ), and open the gate so you introduce them to your axe.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 3, 2022

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Something happened to my game yesterday and now I can only equip my shield together with my polearm, and not with my usual sword or mace. Makes sieges a bit of a chore. Anybody else experience this?

E: By which I mean I can either equip a one handed weapon and no shield, or shield and no weapon. No amount of scrolling up or down seem to yield the combination one handed weapon AND shield.

Welp, never mind, I'm a moron. My one handed weapons were actually two handed.

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 5, 2022

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Haven't played in about 9 months now. What are the recommended mods these days?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

is there a mod to restore the old unit assignment method yet lol

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
It would be awesome if this game didn't spawn enemy reinforcements on top of my archers.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, raiding Steppe Bandit bases is literally the most unfun thing to do in this game.

Sherbert Hoover posted:

It would be awesome if this game didn't spawn enemy reinforcements on top of my archers.

I do know that the Realistic Battles Mod AI module makes reinforcements spawn at the map edge.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Haven't played in about 9 months now. What are the recommended mods these days?

Highly subjective topic, but I think the Raise your Banner, Raise your Torch and Perfect Fire Arrows are no brainers. They improve the immersion of the game and while I think you can tweak Raise your Banner to have some gameplay implications they just look good.
I really like Serve as Soldier ( based off the Warband and then Bannerlord Freelancer mod but still being updated ) as way of starting your game, it gives you an opportunity to establish relations, build a little nest egg, gain skill XP in some of the harder to level in early game skills, try out different roles in battle and has become a staple for each of my new game starts. The Training with Troops can give you extra points in Endurance, Control and Vigor as well as additional focus points in a weapon skill but you really have to grind to get them, and you can also occasionally get free focus points based on the Assignment you've got currently selected. As you level up in your lords army you'll get access to higher tier equipment ( based on the faction you've joined ) and you can opt to retire when your contract expires and keep the gear you've equipped or serve another contract for a 25k denar bonus and an offer of Vasselage later on down the track. I don't think there's anything game breaking but does set you up a lot stronger once you have finished out your contract.
I run Kaoses Tweaks Updated so I can speed up XP gains and a focus point every level but it does a lot more than that that I haven't really looked into, I also use some of the Smithing tweaks including the one that unlocks all the previously unknown parts specific to the weapon you've smelted. You smelt a Glaive for the first time and you'll unlock the Glaive head without having to rely on the RNG. It means that I'm looking at buying weapons from settlements that I think may have parts I haven't already collected.
I'm also running the I dont Care - Log Fliter to cut down on some of the message spam, Bandit Militias which adds a whole bunch of Bandit Militia parties to the map, gives you someone to beat up on between blobs of looters and the lesser clans ( but also seems to create massive wanderer spam so I should probably turn it off, every settlement ends up with a couple of dozen wanderers that other lords will actually occasionally hire into their armies that I hadn't seen without the Bandit Militias mod ), and True Battle Loot because I like to have a better chance at looting something off a lord that isn't trash, but can upset the money balance when you loot a 30k helmet and 100k Tabard off some noble. To be honest money really isn't a huge issue so I don't feel like I'm cheating too hard, but sometimes I want to wear a nice fancy hat without having to pay the exorbitant store prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Babe Magnet posted:

is there a mod to restore the old unit assignment method yet lol

Just realized this is kind of what the "give preference to" menu for each group of troops is meant for. It's not as precise a control as previously, but when you divide a formation, using this dropdown menu controls what kinds of troops go to the second formation or remain in the first formation. It is a far from optimal alternative, but it exists.

What I thought it was was instructions to formations on what targets to focus on. This would be useful, though, to pick off an opposing force's archers or tie up harassing cavalry. This would be a great feature if they continue to develop the tactics system.