Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Add Hoyer to the list of infected members of Congress:

quote:

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) disclosed Tuesday that he tested positive for COVID-19, becoming the latest member of Congress to contract the virus despite being vaccinated.

Hoyer, the second-ranking House Democrat, said in a statement that he is experiencing mild symptoms. He added that he will work and cast votes remotely while the House is in session this week.

“This afternoon, I tested positive for COVID-19, and I am experiencing mild symptoms. Thankfully, I am fully vaccinated and already received my booster shot," Hoyer said.

Hoyer is the second member of House Democratic leadership in the past several weeks to test positive for the virus amid the surge in cases from the omicron variant, although caseloads in the Washington, D.C., region have begun declining in recent days.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) also tested positive in December.

At least 54 House members, including Hoyer, have contracted breakthrough cases of COVID-19, along with 12 senators.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/592377-hoyer-tests-positive-for-covid-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good day to remember their insurance is great and yours probably isn't.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/SenatorShaheen/status/1488657698061230080?s=20&t=rtj5aOPWU1NYOStArqCVFQ

They're still wasting time on this Havana Syndrome bullshit. Didn't the CIA just come out and say that it didn't exist?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Tesla recalls are up to over half a million cars in the last month. That's over 55% of every car they sold last year.

In a genius move, Tesla intentionally programmed its self-driving feature to roll through stop signs instead of stopping at them because they thought people would want to use the self-driving feature, but also not have to stop at signs if it didn't seem like anyone else was crossing the intersection at the same time.

The entire logic seems to have been "it's illegal to not stop at stop signs, but people do it all the time and this will simulate how they really drive and not annoy people by stopping at every stop sign" and they were surprised that this got flagged by the NHSTA.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1488678635628285959

quote:

Tesla will recall all 53,822 vehicles with its "full self-driving" driver-assist feature after it was intentionally programmed to slowly roll through stop signs in some scenarios.

The recall will impact Model S, X, 3 and Y vehicles that have its beta version of the "full self-driving" software enabled. "Full self-driving" is a controversial driver-assist feature that aims to one day allow cars to drive themselves.
The technology sometimes steers Tesla vehicles smoothly and obeys traffic rules like stopping for red lights. But in other cases it has proved inconsistent, according to accounts from alarmed drivers using the software. Telsa says that "full self-driving" requires an attentive driver who is ready to take full control of the car at any time.

"Full self-driving" has been capable of rolling through stop signs since the release of the first version in October 2020. Tesla decided to disable the function following meetings this month with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which regulates motor vehicles.

"The Vehicle Safety Act prohibits manufacturers from selling vehicles with defects posing unreasonable risks to safety, including intentional design choices that are unsafe. If the information shows that a safety risk may exist, NHTSA will act immediately," the administration said in a statement.

Tesla will disable the function as soon as this month in an updated version of "full self-driving" software that's released over the internet, according to a document the automaker filed. Drivers won't need to take their vehicles to be serviced.

Tesla did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The recalled feature, called "rolling stop," allowed vehicles to travel through all-way stop intersections at up to 5.6 mph under certain conditions. Drivers had to set their vehicle to a "full self-driving" style that included the feature. The vehicle's "chill" setting, the setting a user can select that drives the most conservatively of the options Tesla gives drivers, is not described as including the feature. The other settings, "average" and "assertive," include the feature.

The "rolling stop" function also required that no relevant moving cars or pedestrian or bicyclists were detected near the intersection. The function wouldn't activate without sufficient visibility, and all roads entering the intersection need to have a speed limit of no more than 30 mph.

"If all the above conditions are met, only then will the vehicle travel through the all-way-stop intersection at a speed from 0.1 mph up to 5.6 mph without first coming to a complete stop," the recall document states.
Tesla said that it is not aware of any collisions, injuries or fatalities related to the feature.

The US government has been more proactive of late in taking action on new car features that may introduce safety risks. Tesla said in December that it would no longer allow people to play video games on the touchscreens of its vehicles while they are in motion, following a NHTSA investigation.

The US government does not currently have any performance standards for driver-assist features like Tesla's "full self-driving." It launched an investigation last year into Teslas rear-ending emergency vehicles while using the automaker's more rudimentary driver-assist software, Autopilot.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2022

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tesla recalls are up to over half a million cars in the last month. That's over 55% of every car they sold last year.

In a genius move, Tesla intentionally programmed its self-driving feature to roll through stop signs instead of stopping at them because they thought people would want to use the self-driving feature, but also not have to stop at signs if it didn't seem like anyone else was crossing the intersection at the same time.

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1488678635628285959

Aren't a lot of those recalls just "bring the car to the dealership for a software update" though?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Republicans posted:

Aren't a lot of those recalls just "bring the car to the dealership for a software update" though?

Some of them are.

But, the "Tesla Model S Hood can fly up while driving," the "Tesla Heat Pump stops working when it is below 15 degrees," the "Tesla charging cable can break off and prevent you from ever charging the car again," and the "Tesla rear-view camera will break if you open the trunk too many times" recalls all require they service or replace your car and those combined are about 425k out of the total 550k recalled.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Republicans posted:

Not even, it's an internet update. Wild that they had a feature that just blatantly broke traffic rules though.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Gumball Gumption posted:

Not even, it's an internet update. Wild that they had a feature that just blatantly broke traffic rules though.

It'll be more wild when their internet connected car gets malware and jettisons the wheels at 60mph

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bishyaler posted:

It'll be more wild when their internet connected car gets malware and jettisons the wheels at 60mph

Drive by code injections will be fun

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

Drive by code injections will be fun

You don't even need to drive by.

There have been exploits that let people remotely kill the engine and take control of the AC/Heating/Radio in a Jeep since 2015.

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

Wired did a video demonstrating it and how crazy they can get. They can disable brakes, transmission, and other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs

Those have been largely fixed and you could only do it in a small amount of scenarios back then, but it has been possible for a while.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 2, 2022

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I really just want to stock pile a bunch of 98 Grand Marquis as this rate.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Happy black history month!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/howard-university-issues-shelter-place-order-bomb-threat-rcna14332

quote:

More than a dozen historically Black colleges and universities received bomb threats on Tuesday, the first day of Black History Month.

Howard University was among the first to issue a shelter-in-place order early Tuesday — just a day after the school and several other historically Black colleges and universities received similar threats.

“A bomb threat against the university is being investigated," an alert from Howard University said, according to NBC Washington. "All persons on campus are advised to shelter in place until more information is available."

The emergency alert was timestamped at 3:29 a.m. Tuesday, the first day of Black History Month.

An all-clear was later issued for Howard following a probe. The university did not immediately respond to a request for comment from NBC News.

I bet you can't talk about this in some schools because making white people feel bad critical race theory is banned

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
For the Tesla thing, I am pretty sure the "recall" involves simply sending the cars an over-the-air software update, not taking the vehicles in for service.

It's more a "mandatory urgent patch" than a classic recall.

It remains entirely hosed, however, that apparently Tesla deliberately programmed the cars to break the law and in all likelihood nobody will face any real consequences for it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

New Mexico Democratic Senator Ben Ray Luján has had a stroke and has been taken to UNM Hospital in Albuquerque.

Edit: He is undergoing decompressive surgery to treat the stroke and needs to be hospitalized for a while, but is expected to survive and recover.

https://twitter.com/DanBoydNM/status/1488620432181788673

If he’s undergoing decompressive surgery at best he’ll be out of commission for months.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/SenatorShaheen/status/1488657698061230080?s=20&t=rtj5aOPWU1NYOStArqCVFQ

They're still wasting time on this Havana Syndrome bullshit. Didn't the CIA just come out and say that it didn't exist?
It says right there in the tweet that it is mandated by law that the position be created. The law was presumably passed before Havana Syndrome was completely debunked, or maybe it was included for other dumb reasons. But this isn't worth Biden pulling a "I decide not to follow this law because I have deemed it moot and unnecessary".

Though Senator Shaheen going on about it still is ridiculous.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wish I had a job where I could get excellent healthcare by going to work hungover and blaming it on cuban headache rays.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inferior Third Season posted:

But this isn't worth Biden pulling a "I decide not to follow this law because I have deemed it moot and unnecessary".

Why not? What are the consequences of him saying "based on the latest available evidence, this legislation is no longer relevant"? It's the truth, after all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why not? What are the consequences of him saying "based on the latest available evidence, this legislation is no longer relevant"? It's the truth, after all.

They just gave the title to an already existing NSC employee.

The person is supposed to just oversee who the State Department, Defense Department, and CIA are giving waivers to get reimbursed for medical care or paid medical leave and collect information to see if it there are any commonalities.

The CIA said they can rule out any coordinated energy weapon attack, but there are several people who had brain damage that showed up on CT scans and people who complained about all the other symptoms and they still want to collect information on all of the incidents to see if they can find anything because they said that a few of them are likely related to foreign governments, but they aren't coordinated and the rest of them don't have definitive answers for what caused them. This person is just in charge of putting all the information from different agencies in one place.

Srice posted:

I wish I had a job where I could get excellent healthcare by going to work hungover and blaming it on cuban headache rays.

Get a job at the DMV. Or be a pilot in the 60's.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

They just gave the title to an already existing NSC employee.

The person is supposed to just oversee who the State Department, Defense Department, and CIA are giving waivers to get reimbursed for medical care or paid medical leave and collect information to see if it there are any commonalities.

Finding out why a psychosomatic illness is widespread in government agents is one thing, but framing it as some longstanding issue afflicting the American people is farcical. Even worse, she shamelessly claims this is done in the pursuit of equitable care. It's just so insulting.

quote:

The CIA said they can rule out any coordinated energy weapon attack, but there are several people who had brain damage that showed up on CT scans and people who complained about all the other symptoms and they still want to collect information on all of the incidents to see if they can find anything because they said that a few of them are likely related to foreign governments, but they aren't coordinated and the rest of them don't have definitive answers for what caused them. This person is just in charge of putting all the information from different agencies in one place.

"brain damage" that showed up on scans doesn't prove anything unless they have baseline imaging from before onset of symptoms. Even if they could show it was a new presentation, it doesn't prove anything. It being the work of foreign governments is just about the least likely explanation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Finding out why a psychosomatic illness is widespread in government agents is one thing, but framing it as some longstanding issue afflicting the American people is farcical. Even worse, she shamelessly claims this is done in the pursuit of equitable care. It's just so insulting.

"brain damage" that showed up on scans doesn't prove anything unless they have baseline imaging from before onset of symptoms. Even if they could show it was a new presentation, it doesn't prove anything. It being the work of foreign governments is just about the least likely explanation.

Shaheen is dumb and most likely trying to save face, but that is what the designation is supposed to do. They just gave the assignment to someone who was already working at the NSC to be the point of contact who everyone emails their medical files to.

The CIA agrees with your assessment. The gist of what they found was:

- Roughly 12 out of the ~250 cases they looked at were "likely" the intentional result of a hostile entity.
- Another 12 were "possible," intentional acts.
- That means between 4.5% and 9% of people (most likely closer to 4.5%) who had symptoms were the result of some intentional act.
- Somewhere between 91% and 95.5% were not.
- There was no large-scale coordinated campaign. Some of the incidents were related, but nothing connected the vast majority of them.
- About half of the incidents have "likely and plausible" alternative explanations. Another ~40% have "possible" alternative explanations or have causes that are completely unknown.

Shaheen seems to realize that her information is out of date given that she follows up her tweet where she claims to know the source with this one that notes that they don't know:

https://twitter.com/SenatorShaheen/status/1488657699915112448

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 2, 2022

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Directed energy sounds like being hit by a Hadoken. I could see it taking some off your life bar, but brain damage seems like a stretch.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

For the Tesla thing, I am pretty sure the "recall" involves simply sending the cars an over-the-air software update, not taking the vehicles in for service.

It's more a "mandatory urgent patch" than a classic recall.

It remains entirely hosed, however, that apparently Tesla deliberately programmed the cars to break the law and in all likelihood nobody will face any real consequences for it.

For this specific recall of ~50k cars with the autodrive feature, yes. They say that in the article.

This is just the latest in a string of Tesla recalls, though. The others did require them to replace, refund, or service the vehicle. Those represent about 3/4 of the total recalled cars in the last few months.

Although, I doubt those hurt Tesla too much. I don't know how many people will bother to go take advantage of the recall if their rear-view camera hasn't already broken from opening the trunk too many times or if it rarely gets below 15 degrees where they lives. I don't know if Tesla has given any update on how many people actually took them up on the previous recalls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Directed energy sounds like being hit by a Hadoken. I could see it taking some off your life bar, but brain damage seems like a stretch.

Have you seen how people launch then hit the ground after? I'm surprised we don't see it more often in street fights

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Brain damage gives you the ability to use directed energy attacks. Ken/Ryu have minimal levels of pro-boxer tier brain damage while, say, Goku fell down the side of a ravine and beat the hell out of his brain as a result

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Honestly, after spending over two years as "The Washington Football Team," they should have just stuck with that.

It is a lot funnier and more memorable than "The Commanders," which is a super generic name and has nothing specific to do with Washington, D.C. Hard to believe they needed two years to come up with that.

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1488870383340204043

They should have renamed themselves the Washington Football Agency (WFA) or The D.C. Department of Touchdowns.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 2, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Washington Commanders sounds like one of those fake names they use in movies that just sound off

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Washington Commanders sounds like one of those fake names they use in movies that just sound off

That is the perfect way to describe it.

It's the naming equivalent of having a character give out their phone number as "555-5555."

The "Washington Presidents" and "Washington Red Hogs" were both finalists that I am very sad did not get picked.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Honestly, after spending over two years as "The Washington Football Team," they should have just stuck with that.

It is a lot funnier and more memorable than "The Commanders," which is a super generic name and has nothing specific to do with Washington, D.C. Hard to believe they needed two years to come up with that.

They should have renamed themselves the Washington Football Agency (WFA) or The D.C. Department of Touchdowns.

Washington [REDACTED]. Mascot's just a dude in a trench coat who tries to pass people plain manila envelopes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

IRS Burger

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Looks like there may be yet another Tesla recall on the horizon.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1488883203070955522

quote:

Tesla drivers report a surge in ‘phantom braking’

SAN FRANCISCO — Teslas are unexpectedly slamming on their brakes in response to imagined hazards — such as oncoming traffic on two-lane roads — which has prompted their terrified owners to lodge a surge of complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over the past three months, according to a Washington Post analysis of federal auto safety data.

quote:

NHTSA spokeswoman Lucia Sanchez said the agency is engaging in a dialogue with Tesla over the phantom braking reports. “NHTSA is aware of complaints received about forward collision avoidance and is reviewing them through our risk-based evaluation process,” she said. “This process includes discussions with the manufacturer, as well as reviewing additional data sources, including Early Warning Reporting data. If the data show that a risk may exist, NHTSA will act immediately.”

quote:

NHTSA opened a safety investigation in August over about a dozen reports of crashes with parked emergency vehicles while Autopilot was activated.

quote:

Some drivers recalled instances of phantom braking even when they were not using Autopilot. Other owners said in complaints to NHTSA that they were shaken by the incidents and feared being rear-ended.

“These events are hair raising for me and passengers, let alone for a driver behind me,” one owner wrote in a report to the agency. “If he/she does not pay attention at that very moment, the result could even be disastrous. I would never have expected such a serious safety issue with a Tesla.”

Owners also said they experienced the phenomenon one or multiple times while on extended trips. Some said their road trip experiences were marred by the brakes suddenly triggering or the frequency jolts made by their cars.

quote:

“My wife has requested that I don’t use cruise control or autopilot while she’s in the car, as we experienced an unwarranted, aggressive automatic braking episode which caused great pressure against her pregnant belly on a previous road trip,” one owner said in a report.

Owners’ comments reflected apparent exasperation with the recurrence of the problem and a seeming inability to get it fixed.

“[These] things are happening with NOTHING present in front of my vehicle, and sometimes with nothing around me at all,” one wrote.

Luis Fernandez, who drives a 2022 Tesla Model Y, said he was at Taylor Street and Pine Street in San Francisco recently when his car spotted a plastic bag several feet in front of him. The bag didn’t pose a hazard and was soon out of his view, said Fernandez, who uses the vehicle to drive for Uber.

But his car jolted him from 25 mph to 15 mph before he could intervene.

“Suddenly the car kind of locked, but it immediately released because the plastic bag moved away. . . . The car just completely took precaution,” he said. “Automatically, it braked.”

quote:

He recalled an instance when his wife was driving at highway speeds of 55 to 60 mph and “it slammed on the brakes hard, sending our children’s booster seats slamming into the front seats.”

Thankfully, he said, the children weren’t in the car.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Edit: Double posted.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Looks like there may be yet another Tesla recall on the horizon.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1488883203070955522
"Maximum Overdrive becoming reality" wasn't a thing I had on my 2022 bingo card, but let's go for it and see what happens.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keep it as Washington Football Team but change their colors to lowercase black letters on yellow IMO

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Honestly they could have renamed themselves the Washington Skins and probably avoided all of this

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

DeathChicken posted:

Honestly they could have renamed themselves the Washington Skins and probably avoided all of this
Would be a bit of a :stonk: logo, though.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The Washington George's would have been the optimal choice

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Hail to the Commies! Fight the bourgeoisie!

DeathChicken posted:

nah, Washington Ruskins

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Washington Columbians

selec
Sep 6, 2003

https://twitter.com/secdef/status/1488687828661907459?s=21

More war, that’s what we need. Those rascally Houthis, won’t someone think of the slavemaster oligarchs we prop up??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Washington NFT's: Non Functioning Team