Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

time to get your second tank :getin:

I'm setting up an office and I'm thinking of putting a 40 breeder or something around that size in there, but that probably won't be for a while. I definitely have more plants in my 13 gallon than it really needs now that they're all growing like crazy. There's three or four java ferns in there each carrying 4 or 5 or 6 babies that I assume they're going to drop at some point and I ain't got nowhere to put them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wallet posted:

I'm setting up an office and I'm thinking of putting a 40 breeder or something around that size in there, but that probably won't be for a while. I definitely have more plants in my 13 gallon than it really needs now that they're all growing like crazy. There's three or four java ferns in there each carrying 4 or 5 or 6 babies that I assume they're going to drop at some point and I ain't got nowhere to put them.

If you don’t want to just do tanks you’ve got a lot of options for indoor container ponds.

A lot of people will set up temporary indoor ponds over winter and then move those plants outside/to a balcony or patio in the spring.

Plus, something like a tub means growing stuff like Sarracenia, lotus, mangrove, etc.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Wallet posted:

My nymphoides aquatica continue to be a problem. Whenever I see them in videos or photos or whatever in other people's tanks they have small reasonable leaves, but the largest leaves on mine are literally the size of my hand. They're covering the entire bottom of the tank where they are now. I may have to get another tank just so I have somewhere to put them :(.

Do aquatic plants respond alright to pruning? I may try snipping some off and seeing if they'll chill out now that they have floating leaves as well.

If you trim off the big stuff enough it'll eventually grow to get smaller.

I just fully planted a friend's new 90g with stuff from my 10g and 29g and I still have too many plants. Plants growing out of control means you are doing something right.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Plus, something like a tub means growing stuff like Sarracenia, lotus, mangrove, etc.

I mean, you could probably grow Sarracenia out the top of an aquarium if you had the right substrate for it. I'm not sure how they would handle how nutrient rich a good planted tank is, though.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I have been cycling a new 29 gallon tank. It has quite a few live plants in it but no livestock, I've just been adding small pinches of powdered ammonium chloride as my ammonia source. Today, my nitrite levels abruptly dropped to zero and my nitrate spiked to about 20ppm. My plants are showing good growth, and I'm getting decent but not excessive algae growth as well.

I think I'm ready to add fish, but unfortunately there's a winter storm rolling through right now, so I won't be able to for at least a week. Do I need to keep dosing the tank with ammonia until I actually put livestock in?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Yes, if there’s nothing to convert the bacteria you’ve grown can starve and die.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I just had to put down my 4-5 year old Blue Mickey Mouse Platy. :(

Been expecting this for months, she was ancient, but uggghhhhhhhhhhhh. I think she was my oldest fish. I'm going to turn on the light tomorrow and go to do my usual "How are you still loving alive?" check, and she won't be there. It was quick and painless and peaceful, she didn't even struggle when I pulled her out. I think she just knew in her tiny fish brain. Not how I wanted my Friday night to go. My whole world smells like clove oil now.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Apparently Seachem sends these to aquarium stores.

from a bit ago, but this is v cool

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

As I mentioned a little while ago I'm looking at setting up a larger tank in my office since I've been enjoying the 13 gallon I made and the little fellers in there have been doing well. I had a few questions though.

I was originally thinking of a 40 breeder, but the spot I have available could accommodate quite a bit larger. Is, say, a 55 a lot more work than a 40 or is it about the same just with a bit more room? As far as I can tell a standard 65 is the same footprint as a 40 breeder just with more vertical space which might be worth it for more plant options.

Also I'm still scouting local fish stores (I've been to all but 2 that are reasonably convenient and haven't been terribly impressed) but if I don't find a decent one, do people have any website recommendations for fish? I got the ones I have from AquaticArts and have no complaints, but I'd like to look around a few more places to get a better feel for what my options might be.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd go for a standard 75g over a 55g in pretty much every circumstance. The extra depth front to back really opens up a lot more possibilities for both fish and scaping.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd go for a standard 75g over a 55g in pretty much every circumstance. The extra depth front to back really opens up a lot more possibilities for both fish and scaping.

No matter what volume I end up with I'm definitely going for an 18" 'deep' (front to the back) tank vs something skinny like a standard 55, for sure. My little 13 gallon is 17" deep and that felt restrictive enough.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Aqueon just came out with a new 60g breeder tank that has pretty appealing dimensions too. Might be a good one to consider:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-rectangle-aquarium-60-breeder-tank

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Aqueon just came out with a new 60g breeder tank that has pretty appealing dimensions too. Might be a good one to consider:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/aqueon-rectangle-aquarium-60-breeder-tank

I don't need a new tank why are you doing this to me

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That would make a great river tank for loaches or plecos or a great tank for the smaller polys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How do people feel about using steel Husky benches as stands for large tanks?

They’re rated for 1000, 2300, 3000-lbs depending on model.

People like using the racks, so I’m sure the workbenches are solid too, right?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Ok Comboomer posted:

How do people feel about using steel Husky benches as stands for large tanks?

They’re rated for 1000, 2300, 3000-lbs depending on model.

People like using the racks, so I’m sure the workbenches are solid too, right?

I'm currently using one for a 29g and a 10 and 5. I like them a lot... but one of them freaks me out. I kept the wire shelves but added 1/2" plywood on top. I painted it so it wouldn't swell when I spilled, and all that is great... but the rack with the 29 likes to creak. I assume, as room temp changes etc little bits move here and there. It's been solid for months now, so I'm not really terrified of it coming down, but it scares the absolute poo poo out of me every time it makes a little noise. I'd take it apart to inspect and adjust, but taking apart a 29 gallon is a hassle.

Excuse the mess, I just finished some maintenance and I'm tryin to get back to gamin.

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been on the hunt for one of these for a while now... I must have one.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

That's super tempting, might pick one up.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Wallet posted:

As far as I can tell a standard 65 is the same footprint as a 40 breeder just with more vertical space which might be worth it for more plant options.

Keep in mind that vertical height and plants means you need brighter lights to penetrate deeper into the tank. If you want low plants this can mean very bright lights or maybe it's a use case for spotlights just on those deeper areas. As a smaller person with short arms I really regret buying some of my tanks without measuring from my armpit to the bottom of the tank, it can make maintenance very difficult (possibly not a problem for adult human sized people - I just stopped growing when I was 12).

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

Keep in mind that vertical height and plants means you need brighter lights to penetrate deeper into the tank. If you want low plants this can mean very bright lights or maybe it's a use case for spotlights just on those deeper areas. As a smaller person with short arms I really regret buying some of my tanks without measuring from my armpit to the bottom of the tank, it can make maintenance very difficult (possibly not a problem for adult human sized people - I just stopped growing when I was 12).

Apparently you get 15% off if you order for in store pickup from Petco and the one five minutes from me had some in stock so I have 60 breeder now. I guess I have to find a stand and a lid, but according to Aqueon anything for a standard 75 should fit so hopefully that's not too much of a pain. Aquarium stand options from my cursory googling do look pretty poo poo in general, though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Aquarium stand options from my cursory googling do look pretty poo poo in general, though.

This is why I asked about the Husky workbenches yesterday. You can get one that should comfortably hold your tank in white/red/blue, and they look way better in situ than your average composite board tank stand

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I think one of those workbenches should be just fine. And drat, 15% off online orders is tempting me to get a 60B myself...

I've currently got an oscar in a spare 55g because I had to find a temp spot for him. Not sure if a standard 75g for the extra height is necessary or if a 60b would be ok? (he's just over a foot long so the 55g is really too crowded at this point)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

This is why I asked about the Husky workbenches yesterday. You can get one that should comfortably hold your tank in white/red/blue, and they look way better in situ than your average composite board tank stand

Yeah—the local home depot usually has some assembled so I may go see how they actually look in person. Something with a drawer for fish food and poo poo would be nice. I guess if not I'll have to build one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah—the local home depot usually has some assembled so I may go see how they actually look in person. Something with a drawer for fish food and poo poo would be nice. I guess if not I'll have to build one.

I probably wouldn’t get the drawer (looks very workbench/garage), but you get lots of space below to put a chest of drawers or whatever.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

If you know any woodworkers you can get a super sturdy custom built stand made. Mine is designed to hold a 29g and a 10g, with the 29g set 6" higher than a normal stand. It's all 2x4's and 1/2" plywood, coated with 4 layers of matte black waterproof spray paint and 2 layers of clear waterproof sealant. It's about 15 years old now, and the paint has gotten a bit chipped up, but it's solid as hell, weighs a ton, and will probably outlast me. It was also cheaper than a normal stand, and looks better than using one of those workbenches. This is not the best pic but you get the general idea (please don't comment on my custom home made light reflection blocker on the 10g lol):

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I probably wouldn’t get the drawer (looks very workbench/garage), but you get lots of space below to put a chest of drawers or whatever.

If I were picking I'd probably go for something a few inches shorter but for $125 I really can't complain. Now I have to figure out a lid (probably just get one from Aqueon since it'll probably fit), and some lights, and a heater, and filtration, and then the really hard part which is what the gently caress I'm going to put in there.

I don't have any complaints about the AquaClear on my other tank so I'm likely to go that way, but is there any significant benefit in running like, two AQ 50s vs one 110 or something along those lines?

Desert Bus posted:

If you know any woodworkers you can get a super sturdy custom built stand made.

Probably not cheaper anymore with the price of lumber lately. I have plenty of 2x4s and so on in my shed but I just finished building a desk earlier this week and I don't really feel like taking on another project.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 12, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

If I were picking I'd probably go for something a few inches shorter but for $125 I really can't complain. Now I have to figure out a lid (probably just get one from Aqueon since it'll probably fit), and some lights, and a heater, and filtration, and then the really hard part which is what the gently caress I'm going to put in there.

So that’s one of the 1000lb-rated ones?

Your 60gal is probably in the 700-800lb range, maybe 850 depending on how much rock you want to put in there.

Might want to consider putting something under the feet to spread the weight a bit and protect the floor. Maybe not (I mean a couch with ppl on it is like 500-700lbs).

Wallet posted:

I don't have any complaints about the AquaClear on my other tank so I'm likely to go that way, but is there any significant benefit in running like, two AQ 50s vs one 110 or something along those lines?

It all depends on what you’re stocking it with, tbh. Figure that out then work backwards.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 12, 2022

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

I ran HOBs for a long long time and now believe the ideal filtration setup is an oversized canister and a sponge filter sized for a 10g.

So for your 60 I'd get the Eheim Classic 350 Canister which can handle 95g, the Eheim 6664 Prefilter to further reduce time between having to clean it, and a 10g sponge. The Eheim Classics are simple, sturdy, and quiet with easily available replacement parts. The sponge is there so you have a easily moved cycled filter that you can pull out and stuff into an emergency QT tank or bucket. The sponge you can run off an air pump or powerhead, but an air pump will help oxygenate better in the main tank, and won't cause a lot of current in a smaller space if you have to use it.

It's a lot less maintenance than one or two HOBs, more filtration is always good, and you have the peace of mind that comes from being able to quickly set up a QT tank.

I don't run any of the pads or whatnot in my canister, it's 100% full of ceramic bio-media. The prefilter sponges manage to stop the vast majority of solids from getting in (and also smaller fish/shrimp). With HOBs I was having to clean them constantly. With the bigass canister I just have to squeeze the prefilter sponges when I do WCs and ignore it until it starts making noise. I think? i'm cleaning it out about once every 6-8? months. When I finish breaking down my 10g and rearrange the 29g to fit the sponge filter from it i'm going to clean it when I do the prefilter sponges.

Squeezing a few sponges clean once every couple of weeks is easy compared to loving around with HOBs and you end up with fewer gaps in your lid that stuff can use to escape.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

Might want to consider putting something under the feet to spread the weight a bit and protect the floor. Maybe not (I mean a couch with ppl on it is like 500-700lbs).

It's one of the 1000 pound ones, I may reinforce it a little bit just to be on the safe side but it's probably not necessary. And yeah, I'm not wild about the feet and will likely replace them.

Desert Bus posted:

Squeezing a few sponges clean once every couple of weeks is easy compared to loving around with HOBs and you end up with fewer gaps in your lid that stuff can use to escape.

What else are you doing on an HoB really, though? Mines like 70% biological media, some coarse sponge, and a polishing pad (with another coarse sponge on the intake). Nothing seems to get in there for the most part.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just use sponges on all my tanks, even my 90, but they can be eyesores, and be prepared for a water change if you squeeze or drop one in the tank when messing with the airline or replacing the air stone.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

What else are you doing on an HoB really, though? Mines like 70% biological media, some coarse sponge, and a polishing pad (with another coarse sponge on the intake). Nothing seems to get in there for the most part.

HOBs need more upkeep than squeezing out a couple of prefilter sponges, and if they get too clogged they can overflow and get water on the floor. I was constantly finding shrimp and Nerite/Ramshorn snails in them. I also had a few fish manage to jump out through the hole in the lid because they wanted to swim upstream of the current. With a canister you just have two small holes you can cut to exactly tube size or a tiny bit bigger to fit airlines and power cords. I like my tanks as low maintenance and escape proof as possible and making the switch to a canister helped with that. The canister also makes less noise than the AquaClear HOBs I used to use.

When I started in this hobby like 35 years ago as a kid my dad and I used those air powered plastic box corner filters and undergravel filters. HOBs and sponge filters were definitely a step up from those. Moving away from HOBs to an overpowered canister was a similar feeling to me.

I know they still make and sell undergravel filters so someone has to still use them for something? I've got no clue who or why though. There are definitely worse options than HOBs and I happily used them for a very long time but I would never go back to them were I to set up another tank now that I know the joy of the canister.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Also canisters allow you to run inline heaters and UV if you want to, which keeps ugly equipment out of your tank. And I completely forgot about sumps, which also rule. Sumps add a lot of water volume and also allow you to hide your heater, but need an overflow box or you need to cut holes for bulkheads.

I also highly suggest painting the back black while it's empty. I did the sides too, but my tank is in a corner so I don't have viewing angles there anyway. It keeps light from the tank from splashing out everywhere, seems to make the fish happier than living in confusing clear box, and definitely makes the colors of the fish and plants pop more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
plus with a canister you can use these:

Metal Lily Pipe Surface Skimmer Stainless Steel Inflow Outflow with 2 Acrylic Holder for Aquarium Planted Tank, Inflow and Outflow Pipe Set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1L4HY8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_RGXTAY6FH8TKYS38RFHD

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Okay Goons, who else has been flooding the inboxes of senators about this Lacey Act amendment bullshit?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been half following it, it seems like such a strange and far too late change to make. It's not like here where biosecurity has been pretty tight, for a longer period of time - there's already an approved import list and a (very slow and bureaucratic) process for assessing new animals and adding them to the list. And fish like tilapia, gambusia, guppies, Betta, swordtails etc are still loose and doing damage in waterways. And there are people monitoring and maintaining those waterways in places too.

It makes sense to try to protect something fragile that can still be protected but you guys have had sewer alligators and apartment tigers and importing anything for so long, and I can't imagine they're going to employ more people to do the work to measure, monitor and maintain your waterways. It just seems punitive for the sake of making it seem like something is being done.

Is my impression of what's going on accurate? I tried looking up the wording of the thing myself but it's so buried that I couldn't find it.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Stoca Zola posted:

It makes sense to try to protect something fragile that can still be protected but you guys have had sewer alligators and apartment tigers and importing anything for so long, and I can't imagine they're going to employ more people to do the work to measure, monitor and maintain your waterways. It just seems punitive for the sake of making it seem like something is being done.

This is my impression as well. Security theatre.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

New feets! How exciting.

Desert Bus posted:

Also canisters allow you to run inline heaters and UV if you want to, which keeps ugly equipment out of your tank. And I completely forgot about sumps, which also rule. Sumps add a lot of water volume and also allow you to hide your heater, but need an overflow box or you need to cut holes for bulkheads.

I also highly suggest painting the back black while it's empty. I did the sides too, but my tank is in a corner so I don't have viewing angles there anyway. It keeps light from the tank from splashing out everywhere, seems to make the fish happier than living in confusing clear box, and definitely makes the colors of the fish and plants pop more.

But then I have to hide the canister. I might go that way, though. Any specific canister recommendations?

Probably going to use some dark static cling window film rather than paint in case I decide to swap it, but yeah, I already ordered some for it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

plus with a canister you can use these:

Metal Lily Pipe Surface Skimmer Stainless Steel Inflow Outflow with 2 Acrylic Holder for Aquarium Planted Tank, Inflow and Outflow Pipe Set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1L4HY8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_RGXTAY6FH8TKYS38RFHD

These look rad but there's a bunch of people complaining about them rusting :(

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay Goons, who else has been flooding the inboxes of senators about this Lacey Act amendment bullshit?

I haven't been following it that closely but it seems like how restrictive it actually is depends entirely on what they put on the list, no?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Wallet posted:

But then I have to hide the canister. I might go that way, though. Any specific canister recommendations?

Eheim Classic 350 Canister + the Eheim 6664 Prefilter. That will get you about 95g worth of filtration.

The Eheim Classics are simple, solid, quiet, and pretty cheap for a canister. A lot of people like Fluval canisters as well as SunSun brand canisters too. The Fluval ones apparently have good build quality but tend to be pricey. SunSun's are a nice cheap option, but I've heard some not so great things about build quality over the years.

You can get more fancy ones with like phone apps and LED screens and stuff, but that's just more stuff that can go wrong, imho.

There are lots of online reviews for all these options on YouTube and various fish sites, but personally I love my Eheim Classic and I loved the Eheim Classic I had before this one (upgraded cause I wanted more filtration, not because of any issues with it).

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Wallet posted:

New feets! How exciting.

Probably going to use some dark static cling window film rather than paint in case I decide to swap it, but yeah, I already ordered some for it.

These look rad but there's a bunch of people complaining about them rusting :(

I haven't been following it that closely but it seems like how restrictive it actually is depends entirely on what they put on the list, no?

from what I have read, what we have now is a blacklist, ie what you can't have, like freshwater stingrays in AZ (which is hilarious because common goldfish, oscars, and plecos are the most invasive fish in NA), but this is a whitelist, ie you need to prove animals won't be invasive.

Reptiles and fish that can survive in Florida won't survive in AZ, so this really needs to be a states' issue.

My new sink faucet has been doing great, but after a water change today, the white sink adapter now leaks at the top if I have the water pressure on too hard, when filling with the Python. I'm afraid to wrap any plumber's tape around it, any other ideas?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
My biggest issue with the eheim classic was just the fact it had to be basically fully disassembled when needing to do any real work on the sponges in the filter. I ended up switching to an oase biotherm. But I did have to modify it a bunch. The in/out were switched to the glass version of that metal lily pipe set with the combo surface and regular intake. Meanwhile internally, a bunch of the sponge compartments were swapped for more bio media. And finally swapped the prefilter sponge set for the coarse set as default they give you the middling coarse.

The upside for me was that the heater would be built into the filter itself. And the other being the prefilter being a fully removable part that doesn't require taking the entire unit apart to get to.

Edit: Also, I never used the eheim pre-filter so perhaps that would have changed my view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

My biggest issue with the eheim classic was just the fact it had to be basically fully disassembled when needing to do any real work on the sponges in the filter. I ended up switching to an oase biotherm. But I did have to modify it a bunch. The in/out were switched to the glass version of that metal lily pipe set with the combo surface and regular intake. Meanwhile internally, a bunch of the sponge compartments were swapped for more bio media. And finally swapped the prefilter sponge set for the coarse set as default they give you the middling coarse.

The upside for me was that the heater would be built into the filter itself. And the other being the prefilter being a fully removable part that doesn't require taking the entire unit apart to get to.

Edit: Also, I never used the eheim pre-filter so perhaps that would have changed my view.

I just throw away all the internal sponges and completely fill them with ceramic bio-media. The sponges in the prefilter do a great job of keeping it clean and working. Were I not running the prefilter it would be a lot more annoying, I think.