Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Joe Lycett starting off making a good point about why the parties are cutting through, and then unfortunately melting into a big pile of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/joelycett/status/1487076326196535308?t=fNNpVZmMVUi8OyncswI18A&s=19

The one thing we absolutely desperately need to do as a culture is to stop centrist liberals describing themselves as 'lefty' when they are in fact nothing of the sort, they just don't think gay people should be put in jail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

That genuinely looks absolutely awful to drive through.

Agreed, and I am comfortable driving on narrow Cornish roads.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oops beaten but also that van has just got through it

I visited Cambridge a while ago and they had this exact set-up. So badly signposted and completely unexpected that I missed it and just drove through the buses only bit (luckily it wasn't enforced in any way).

I'm sure there's a right way for this kind of setup to be installed, but every time I hear about one it's always installed in a really stupid way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1488775856675766273

I'm loving all of this. On one hand it's helping to destroy the Tories, and on the other, it's helping to destroy Labour.

So only upsides?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Goddamnit, fell into the trap of spending ages digging up evidence for something to show a rightwing person that they've been misinformed, when they don't actually give a toss. :bahgawd:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bug Squash posted:

I visited Cambridge a while ago and they had this exact set-up. So badly signposted and completely unexpected that I missed it and just drove through the buses only bit (luckily it wasn't enforced in any way).

I'm sure there's a right way for this kind of setup to be installed, but every time I hear about one it's always installed in a really stupid way.
Down near my parents’ house there’s a main road of the sort that encourages people to race down it faster than they should. To solve this, they installed a series of those narrow chicanes that only let one lane of traffic through at a time.

What they did not do was install any signs indicating who has right of way. So now the chicanes actually incentivise driving faster because 1) the road’s an even more exciting racetrack, and 2) right of way goes to whoever gets to the chicane first :waycool:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My road has speed bumps, a narrowed section after which it's one way so people can't use that route to get out to the main road anyway, and there's cars crammed on both sides of the road, and still people blast down it at speed anyway. It's incredible how impatient people are, outside of traffic conditions it really doesn't make much of a difference to when you get there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
7-foot width restrictions are literally everywhere, the particular problem with this one is there's not enough space for the high, sloped kerbs they'd normally use, e.g. at this even narrower restriction at Rotherhithe Tunnel:

so they've just chucked bollards at the edge, meaning there's absolutely no margin for error and people who have until now been unknowingly driving over the kerb at other restrictions are hitting the bollards instead.

That restriction at the Rotherhithe is pretty funny because when I was a kid LGVs and even (single-decker, obviously) buses were allowed to use the tunnel, but because cars keep getting fatter and harder to see out of the amount of crashes (and near-misses for the extremely foolhardy few pedestrians and cyclists that use it) skyrocketed over the last couple of decades. Now they're also going to have to put in a harsh height restriction too because box vans, which overhang significantly and so can still get through the gap, are causing crashes.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
My name is Joe lycett and I find it stable and reassuring when one hundred and twenty thousand disabled people are put to death

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

StarkingBarfish posted:

'Saville row: Sir Keith mishandled suits'

I thought this was quite good.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Behold, the final boss battle of Britain: landlord vs fleg

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/feb/02/mod-given-ultimatum-to-drop-legal-action-against-firm-run-by-billionaire

quote:

MoD given ultimatum to drop legal action against firm run by billionaire

The landlord run by the billionaire Guy Hands’ private equity firm has issued the government a two-week ultimatum to drop legal action to take over 38,000 homes for military families and instead accept a one-off refurbishment payment of £105m.

The Ministry of Defence revealed last week it planned to bring the properties back under government control, 25 years after a privatisation deal that has been criticised by the National Audit Office, the government’s spending watchdog, as a waste of taxpayers’ money.

The landlord Annington’s offer would represent less than £2,800 per property, a figure that is thought to be unlikely to cover the costs of extensive repairs in some of the more dilapidated homes – and is lower than the MoD’s £140m spending on maintenance for a single year. It would also represent just over an eighth of what Annington paid out in a dividend to its parent company last year.

Lady Liddell, the Labour peer who chairs Annington, blamed the government’s Defence Infrastructure Organisation for failing to maintain the homes. She said her company, which owns 200-year leases on the properties, was “generously offering to put this right”.

In a letter sent on Tuesday evening to the defence secretary, Ben Wallace, and the defence procurement minister Jeremy Quin, Annington described the government’s attitude as “decidedly anti-business” and demanded the government accepted the deal and withdraw its legal action, or face a protracted court fight.

“It would be a shame to see money that could go to improving the houses being wasted on costly and lengthy legal action,” Liddell wrote.

quote:

The value of the properties has since surged to an estimated £7.6bn last year, leaving its private equity owners with an enormous paper profit. Yet the MoD is still paying about £180m a year in rent plus £140m in repairs and upgrades, despite taking back ownership of part of the portfolio. Annington insists it has offered to take on the maintenance, although it has not shared the financial terms of any offer.

The valuable income stream backed by the portfolio has helped Annington to raise billions of pounds from investors in bond issues. That included an £800m debt issue in October that allowed it to pay a dividend of £794m to its parent company.

The government is seeking to exercise “statutory leasehold enfranchisement rights”, Quin told parliament last week. The MoD has sought to take back only two houses at first as test cases to see whether Annington can be forced out. Annington claims the government has no right to do so.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Goddamnit, fell into the trap of spending ages digging up evidence for something to show a rightwing person that they've been misinformed, when they don't actually give a toss. :bahgawd:

Arguing with idiots often results in this outcome. :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oops beaten but also that van has just got through it

Anyone that can't drive through that shouldn't be on the road.

The accidents have happened because they aren't paying proper attention and/or going too fast.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

A labour peer accusing the tory government of being anti business. Lol and I guess technically they're sort of both landlords.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Arguing with idiots often results in this outcome. :(

whatever

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
hang on how wide are Teslas

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I want everyone involved in this to be melted down for slag

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

by the way, heres the same bit of road 11years earlier...

it hasn't changed. so why this is news now is I guess cos that person on the corner got a smart doorbell.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

hang on how wide are Teslas

If the bollards disembowel a Tesla they (and the curb underneath) won't be a problem anymore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean i'm not a driver, but is the problem not that the cars aren't slowing down enough?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean i'm not a driver, but is the problem not that the cars aren't slowing down enough?

objects remain the same size no matter their speed. except like i dunno concorde or whatever, so no it can't possibly be that

if anything they should be going faster to minimise their time in the narrow bit thus reducing the chance of collision.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
This all reminds me of one of my favourite youtube channels, about a bridge in Durham North Carolina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5kpgaFT2bw

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/1488890313448083458

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Those drivers should just go slower. No need to be any faster than 15mph in a built up residential area.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, the problem is they're slowing down much too quickly because they've just hit a bollard.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speed isn’t the root cause but it makes it exponentially worse as you have less time to make corrections and any potential impact damage is increased.

Lack of spatial awareness and a lack of understanding about one’s own vehicle size are the root cause. It’s also likely that the drivers involved are looking at the restriction rather than through it, so target fixation means they hit it instead.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

if anything they should be going faster to minimise their time in the narrow bit thus reducing the chance of collision.
just need to go fast enough to clip right through it, get the watford any% WR

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In theory yes, the space is wide enough for a car and should be navigable slowly, but in practice there are a bunch of factors that make it harder to do that. If you're going along at a normal speed and aren't expecting this random obstacle course that someone put in out of seemingly spite alone, then you might panic and if there's someone behind you you might be reluctant to slam the brakes on, traffic tends to proceed at a sort of average pace dictated by everyone on the road anyway, so a lot of road design should be done with the intent of generating the desired speed via the nature of the road itself. Stuff like poor sightlines, pedestrian traffic etc, can help with this because if drivers feel generally unsafe they tend to slow down. The trick is creating the illusion of unsafety without actually making it unsafe, and if people keep hitting the bollards then it demonstrably is unsafe. People will slow right down for a blind corner but they won't just for a stop sign if they think they can see where they're going.

As I said you could probably achieve the same effect just with the kerb, because you will know if you hit the kerb, especially if it's a higher than average one, and once you do something like that once it sticks in your mind and you don't do it again. You don't have to total the car to achieve the desired effect and having crashed cars in the road isn't going to help with the usability of the road any.

Also like I said, normally my response to that sort of gap is just not to drive through it, which is entirely sensible driving, you don't get extra points for squeezing your car through the most awkward spaces, so if there's someone parked on the side of the road and a car oncoming I just stop and let the other car past first rather than trying to squeeze both of us through, or if I know there is a narrow single track lane I am generally driving with one foot on the brake and expecting to have to avoid oncoming traffic, or I just avoid narrow roads altogether if there are wider, easier roads available, but if you've come up to that obstacle you literally don't have a choice, there's no legal way to avoid it once you're at it and there's nothing to indicate it's going to be there, the rest of the road isn't like that, and unless the intent is to have everyone slow to a couple of miles an hour to get through it (it is presumably a busy through road if they are trying to stop HGV traffic) then there are plenty of in-practice incentives that push people to try and do it quickly.

Driving is poo poo and you are under constant pressure from other road users to do everything as fast as perfectly as possible, and when this inevitably leads to some people loving it up they just go "well technically this is your fault" which to me seems to ignore the actual reality which is that driving constantly pits a bunch of the rules against the general reality of driving, you should, ideally, stick to the rules at all times but people just... don't? Not all of them and not all the time, people aren't perfect robots (and the robots aren't much better at it either) and there are a bunch of perverse incentives to either drive too fast or to try difficult maneuvers because of pressure from other road users, so the real argument is that nobody should drive because driving is bad, but if you are going to have people driving it is necessary to engineer solutions to problems that work rather than ones that demonstrably do not such as putting surprise inescapable car demolishing obstacles in the road.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 2, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

if only there was a way for the car to drive itself through it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Would it have to be on fire at the same time?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Speed isn’t the root cause but it makes it exponentially worse as you have less time to make corrections and any potential impact damage is increased.

Lack of spatial awareness and a lack of understanding about one’s own vehicle size are the root cause. It’s also likely that the drivers involved are looking at the restriction rather than through it, so target fixation means they hit it instead.

My driving instructor told me to just ignore the passenger side and focus on getting the driver side mirror as close to the obstacle as possible without touching it. As long as your vehicle isn't actually too wide for the restriction, the passenger side takes care of itself.

I still instinctively take a couple glances to the other side but it's worked well for me so far.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

Would it have to be on fire at the same time?
Not necessarily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iaedikt9MNA

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Driving is poo poo and you are under constant pressure from other road users to do everything as fast as perfectly as possible, and when this inevitably leads to some people loving it up they just go "well technically this is your fault" which to me seems to ignore the actual reality which is that driving constantly pits a bunch of the rules against the general reality of driving, you should, ideally, stick to the rules at all times but people just... don't?
No that makes perfect sense. It's like the motorway speed limit, or the weird rules over roundabouts & junctions that all the locals know, but then someone who's not from the area goes through it in the normal, legal way and everyone pitches a fit.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1488874426682781697?s=21

Kieths face is amazing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1488549874211737605

Every woman who has had children is a TERF *asks mam* Every woman who has had children except her is a TERF

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Isn't the point of these things to force drivers to slow down?

Designing a self driving car that can navigate these things with maximum efficiency is like designing a car that can jump over speedbumps to avoid slowing sown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

My driving instructor told me to just ignore the passenger side and focus on getting the driver side mirror as close to the obstacle as possible without touching it. As long as your vehicle isn't actually too wide for the restriction, the passenger side takes care of itself.

I still instinctively take a couple glances to the other side but it's worked well for me so far.

Works fine for fixed width restrictions but jesus take the passenger side is less advisible for anything with dynamic obstacles such as other cars, street furniture, or people.

Mr Phillby posted:

Designing a self driving car that can navigate these things with maximum efficiency is like designing a car that can jump over speedbumps to avoid slowing sown.

If only there were a form of car desgined to perfectly navigate entirely restricted routes via mechanical feedback, you could string dozens of them together and make them really big and heavy.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That specific bollard setup has shown up on World Bollard Association's twitter a few times by now. Bollards are great, if the signage there isn't up to snuff put in some rumble strips or something. If they get taken down I hope lorries keep them up all night ripping up their roads with all the extra weight

Conflict of interest report - I like to take long walks and live in a US city so my relationship to motor vehicles is basically that it's warfare and bollards are one of the few comrades I have

Mr Phillby posted:

Tesla is literally programming their self-driving systems to break laws in exactly this way lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said I think you could achieve a better result with just a kerb, put some bigger, brighter painted bollards a bit further from the road (why are they painted the same colour as the road anyway???) and let people who do it too fast bang their head on the roof and lose their alloys. I don't know that totalling cars is very good for the people who live there or the drivers.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

That specific bollard setup has shown up on World Bollard Association's

Do they have a newsletter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Tesla is literally programming their self-driving systems to break laws in exactly this way lol.

lmao