Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

null_pointer posted:

I think I'm getting the hang of this:

That boule is so fluffy and round, it is almost like it is floating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Gift loaf for a friend

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

So this started out as a 68% hydration mix, but it won't hold shape and looks like this. This is just four, water, and salt. This is supposed to be a "tacky ball" lmao. What do I do with this

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
It just looks undermixed to me. There's (still?) a lot of lumpiness to it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah keep going. My last job we did very high hydration ciabatta and the mixing takes forever.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'll keep going. I've had the dough hook on it for about 16 minutes on and off with resting between. I'll scoop it out and beat on it some as well

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

you could try doing some stretch-and-folds with fifteen minutes rests between them, too. let the dough do the work for you

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

So this started out as a 68% hydration mix, but it won't hold shape and looks like this. This is just four, water, and salt. This is supposed to be a "tacky ball" lmao. What do I do with this

you are forgetting yeast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Keetron posted:

That boule is so fluffy and round, it is almost like it is floating.

I've always wondered what bread baked in zero gravity would look like

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I've been trying to make a good sandwich loaf. I think I'm getting close.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dacap posted:

Gift loaf for a friend

Wanna be friends?

:wiggle:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dacap posted:

Gift loaf for a friend

"The eye of Sourdough"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Link is broken?

I desperately want a combi oven, but can't afford the price for a full-size one. I'm sorely tempted by the Anova. As it happens, our countertop convection oven got broken in the move....

e: We moved in July, and we haven't found the kitchen scale or the beaters for the Kitchenaid yet. I may dieeeee.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Link is broken?
Yeah it was. Try:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I haven't understood a important component of the different types of starter/pre-start (biga, poolish, you name it) methods. A lot of the times that I see these recipes, they emphasize light mixing. I think I mix way too lightly to the point that nothing would really happen. Well, nothing does usually happen with them. I got some vibe from seeing some stuff on bulk fermentation that I should have these things double in volume before I start start the main recipe. The idea is to have that stuff rarin' to go when you're about to make some bread.

My impression now is the emphasis is to not go to the point that you're kneading a dough or anything, but you want it to be homogenous one way or another.

What got me thinking about it was the larger bubbles I got out of a loaf I made after my pizzas yesterday. The dough had cold fermented a little over a week since it was extra dough at the time. I think that extra effort got things moving better.

I also think my lame skills may suck but my more fundamental problem is that I don't form a good skin nor do I get the proper bake due to slower yeast performance.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
I bake a fair amount of bread, and since the kids usually leave the heels they often end up going stale before they are used. I found this recipe for a tomato-bread soup similar to something we had in Italy, and I really loved it. It’s super simple too. It uses tomatoes, onion, garlic, some hot pepper flakes and stale bread to make a thick stew, it’s perfect cold weather food.

I didn’t know if I would like it since soft bread can be a weird texture, but it really is it’s own thing and was very good. Pappa al Pomodoro, decent recipe HERE. Recommended for using up your old homemade loaf pieces!

And just some photos of last week's bread:

and turned into some avocado toast with basalmic tomatoes:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I’m a big fan of this recipe, it’s got a calculator to set the ingredients based on your pan size

https://foodgeek.dk/en/sourdough-sandwich-bread-recipe/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh you've got one of those pans with the slide-on top don't you?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Is there a benefit to them besides resulting in a pleasingly square loaf?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Presumably keeping the moisture in with the lid lets you get a better / crunchier crust, just like baking in a dutch oven or a cloche would.
I don't know how much you want that in a sandwich loaf though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The pan being square vs angling out a bit also helps the bread get a little bit taller.

Really, though, the main benefits are related to the consistency of loaf size and shape.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there a benefit to them besides resulting in a pleasingly square loaf?

That was the primary benefit. They were invented for the Pullman railroad company, so the loaves could be stacked on each other without falling over during rough sections of track.

EDIT: just in case it wasn't clear, those are called Pullman loaf pans

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Here I was thinking there had been two people named Pullman.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Made some sourdough (20% khorasan wheat) and the ear turned out to be the most ridiculous one I've ever made.

Stupid delicious either way.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Oh you've got one of those pans with the slide-on top don't you?

Yup, it’s really fun when I’ve let it proof too long and it grows through the cracks

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ishamael posted:

I bake a fair amount of bread, and since the kids usually leave the heels they often end up going stale before they are used.

I solve this issue by just eating the heels immediately when I go to slice a loaf and bag it for the freezer.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Chad Sexington posted:

I solve this issue by just eating the heels immediately when I go to slice a loaf and bag it for the freezer.

Also a good choice! But if you have some leftover bread, I recommend that pappa al pomodoro, I really loved it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

We save the heels in the freezer and make a French toast casserole thingie with them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The end (heel) of the bread is the best bit, when it's fresh, with just butter.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've made two loaves of bread in a row that I'm happy w/. Though I only recorded the second one for posterity

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've made two loaves of bread in a row that I'm happy w/. Though I only recorded the second one for posterity

That’s a beautiful bread

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My favourite general sandwich loaf is a slightly modified version of Hamelman's "toast bread". Here's my current half-loaf:

Crumb shot:

And lightly toasted in a BLT:

It's a basic 66% hydration dough with a couple additions. For a 10"/1.5# loaf pan:

1 pound bread flour
10.5 fl. oz. water, @~120 F
1 tsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp softened butter
1/4 tsp malt powder
1/2 Tbsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Mixing is ~3 minutes on first, ~3 minutes on second. Primary ferment is 2 hours, with a fold at the one hour mark. After primary ferment, dough goes on a work surface, rest for ~10 minutes, then shaped into cylinder and placed in the pan. Final ferment is 1 1/2 hours. Bake ~30 minutes @430 F. Remove from pan when done, thump on the bottom: if it makes a nice hollow sound, it's done, otherwise back in the oven for a couple more minutes.

The only real fiddly bit is the malt powder. You can omit it if you don't have any, although it does affect how the bread browns when lightly toasted. But it's definitely worth picking some up--it's only ever used in small quantities so a bag lasts a long time, so it's something that's easy to always have on hand, and it's a nice addition to a lot of baked goods (I always add some to the batter when I'm making waffles, for example).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
We have a snow storm moving through, so the store was out of any bread product, including bagels. I wanted bagels, but I haven't ever tried making them because all the recipes said you had to knead a 55% hydration dough by hand or use a Hobart, and I am not able to do that (or afford a Hobart).

But I was off work early, and I really wanted bagels, so I mashed together some recipes (Artisan Bread in 5's bagels, King Arthur's Water Bagels, and Jeff Mao's). I came up with a 20% whole wheat dough at 67% hydration. I had 4 hours until dinner. Would my guessing at stuff work?

Yes, yes it did! (I flipped over half of them so you can see they got that nice bottom pattern.) They've got a thin crisp crust and a nice chew. Next time I am going to use my sourdough starter, if I can remember to make the dough before bed. It took about an hour to shape, boil, and bake, so definitely doable on a weekend morning if I proof everything overnight.

Recipe:

Dough:

• 282g King Arthur Bread Flour
  • 70g King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1tsp yeast
  • 1tsp table salt
  • 235g water

Boiling supplies:

• Chopsticks for turning
  • slotted spatula for lifting bagels
  • 3qt pan filled with 2qts or so of water
  • a spoon of molasses to dissolve in the water as I don't have fancy malt powder

I mixed everything together, then did 15 stretch-and-folds every 30 minutes for 2 hours. I divided the dough by 6, shaped them with the ball method, let them rest while I got my pot of water and oven ready. Dropped them in by the pair, boiled for 30s each side, and set aside to wait for the rest to be done. Baked at 425F for 25 minutes, and then :yum:!

effika fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been meaning to make bagels since the pandemic started but could never find the malt stuff. You mentioned using molasses though and we've got tons of that poo poo. So I whipped up a batch with your recipie this morning :yum:

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Greatbacon posted:

I've been meaning to make bagels since the pandemic started but could never find the malt stuff. You mentioned using molasses though and we've got tons of that poo poo. So I whipped up a batch with your recipie this morning :yum:

Excellent bagels! I'm glad that worked out!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

They may be assuming a commercial mixer. I have an ancient Hobart 20-quart I bought off Craigslist over a decade ago because I kept destroying bread machines and mixers. It has three speeds, which I find pretty consistent among commercial mixers:

Speed 1: One revolution every two seconds. This is for initial stirring.
Speed 2: One revolution every second. I read in the manual this was the recommended setting for kneading dough. I believe this is the same rotation speed as a speed 2 on a regular household Kitchenaid, and also the one in their manual they recommend for kneading dough.
Speed 3: Two revolutions per second. This is for whipping and whisk work.

Fun fact: You'll find on the old ones that these speeds aren't in order on the transmission. There's a clutch internally that's changing the speed between two different gears. So speed one is just the clutch disengaged. Speed two has the clutch grabbing the lower gear, and speed three has the clutch grabbing the upper gear. This is a really robust design with one ceramic worm gear as a protector in case you accidentally try to tell the mixer to mix your forearm.

I figured out that I was underkneading at 4 minutes for most of my breads and pizza doughs and I should have been kneading more like 8 minutes this way. I just tried 10 minutes with some more kneading after a cold ferment for a high-hydration dough (nearly 90%). Increasing the knead time greatly improved the crust and skin but it's clear to me it could have been worked more. I have had to conclude that I don't think I can use it for small, single batches of high-hydration dough since I don't think there's enough volume to kick around. So I'll fall back to the Kitchenaid for those. I don't expect the KitchenAid will wear down doing wet doughs because it's basically stirring porridge. Single batches of less-hydration doughs come together and roll fine in the Hobart, and of course there's the eight pizzas I do sometimes.

I was watching some videos about mixer kneading recently and have something of a personal hypothesis: it's really head to overknead bread dough--especially high-hydration dough. However, it's easy to warm up the dough too much from the friction of mixing and cause problems that way. There's a reason those super-left-brain dough planning applications factor heat in to mixing. So I'm turning towards refrigerating my dough for a bit and then putting the reins to 'er.

I've been lead to believe for the wet doughs that you can tell you're getting there when the dough hook starts to pull the muck from around the sides of the bowl on its own. I never saw this with what I made and is one reason I'm not convinced I fully kneaded with the mixer yet

There's so much for this post a page or two back. I appreciate the detailed response! I referred to it earlier when baking.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I am envious of all of you who manage that rise with sourdough AND without a Dutch oven, tell me your secrets? Is it an oven stone / steel?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

a friend of mine hyped me up for making hong kong-style sausage rolls, which use milk bread:

they were SO SOFT, i gotta make these more often

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Keetron posted:

I am envious of all of you who manage that rise with sourdough AND without a Dutch oven, tell me your secrets? Is it an oven stone / steel?

Mine is barely decent compared to some of the amazing bread posted here, but I do mine on a pizza stone. I put a little cast iron pan in the oven when I preheat it, underneath and slightly in front of the pizza stone. Then when I put the bread in I dump some water in the pan and put an upside down Bigass Mixing Bowl over the loaf for the first 20 minutes. Then pull the bowl out and let the loaf brown.

I also form and bake it straight out of the fridge after a cold ferment, instead of letting it warm up first. The dough is much stiffer that way so it doesn't sag and flatten out on the pizza stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Happy Sunday!