Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gripweed posted:

All superheroes' romantic partners should be petty criminals.

Especially those who are also in the business.

VVVV Mayor Fisk is about to fix this!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I mean, vigilantism is criminal, and most of them are in it for deeply personal and emotionally-fraught reasons, so yeah maybe like should just call to like?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gripweed posted:

I have good news for you, and it's called "aiding and abetting"

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm definitely pro Bat/Cat, that ship sails smooth no doubt about it. Black Cat is fun but in other roles, gotta roll with MJ for Pete. It's just proper. Anything less would be uncivilized. On MJ being a criminal, I say sure that's cool.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think the black Car Pete thing sailed long ago.

Ironically I think OMD solidified Peter/MJ more not less.

Basically the same thing the icons list controversy reinforced icons in Greek Christianity

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm definitely pro Bat/Cat, that ship sails smooth no doubt about it.

I used to like the Bruce Selina relationship, but then King came along, and now I understand why so many writers had them be interested in each other but maintain a certain amount of distance

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Reading on Unlimited, so way behind. drat I love Vulpes's Moon Knight. Tigra was a perfect add.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

OnimaruXLR posted:

I used to like the Bruce Selina relationship, but then King came along, and now I understand why so many writers had them be interested in each other but maintain a certain amount of distance

I'm not fond of King's Bat work myself (or Tynion), but I still think Bat/Cat would work well. Can't let it be just King's thing, hopefully somebody else does a good job with it in the future. Always seemed like a good idea to me. Plus a lot of these writers are just so morose with relationship stuff.

I know it's Batman we're talking about, but I think he could relax a little from time to time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Batman cat works specifically because she can go do her own thing for a bit so they don’t really need to do the will they won’t they when Selina can just go on a business trop if you want her out of a story that bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Reading on Unlimited, so way behind. drat I love Vulpes's Moon Knight. Tigra was a perfect add.

Right? Vulpes made an inspired choice.

I remember one of the funniest things a friend ever said 'Imagine if I described Tigra to you, you not knowing who she was and then dropped the bomb she was created way before the internet.'

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Right? Vulpes made an inspired choice.

I remember one of the funniest things a friend ever said 'Imagine if I described Tigra to you, you not knowing who she was and then dropped the bomb she was created way before the internet.'

I mean, there was Mink Minerva on Animaniacs before most people had the internet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Dawgstar posted:

When I was a kid I had a subscription to West Coast Avengers for a while, so I had a lot of comics with Tigra in them. It was weird to go back to her earliest appearances, like Marvel Team-Up, and see how comparatively no-nonsense she used to be.

There's an interesting four-issue mini from the early 2000s by Christina Z and Mike Deodato that splits the difference a bit, as well as digging up the old plot thread about Tigra's dead husband that nobody had touched for 30+ years. Deodato does a surprisingly good job going noir in that book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Deadato is probably a good pick for a Tigra mini because while he does do boob/butt poses for women, if they are supposed to be strong they still absolutely look like they could snap you in half.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

I mean, there was Mink Minerva on Animaniacs before most people had the internet.

how quickly they forget Omaha, the Cat Dancer

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So I'm just getting caught up on Avengers and I've got to ask, has Aaron ever written a kid character before? The Starbrand he's introduced is drawn like she's a 10-year-old but she speaks like an ... I dunno, sometimes like a grizzled old man, sort of?

I've been a fan of most of Aaron's run, and I think that puts me in the minority, but between the Dark Knights: Metal vibe of this current story and the fact that I'm not sure what happened to the Coulson/Mephisto/Atlantis meta-arc he's kinda losing me.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nilbop posted:

So I'm just getting caught up on Avengers and I've got to ask, has Aaron ever written a kid character before? The Starbrand he's introduced is drawn like she's a 10-year-old but she speaks like an ... I dunno, sometimes like a grizzled old man, sort of?

I mean she was raised by Rocket Raccoon, he's not known for his way with words or parenting skills. I do agree though in the general sense that having her suddenly go from literal baby to angry child to apparently now an adult which is in no way weird and I really don't want to address it but I feel like they will and someone will make a joke and god I am not looking forward to it.

And I do feel like this arc is... something alright. I mean it's weird because it feels like it's building up to a finale, all the elements of a finale are there like a big multiversal threat in the form of an all-star cast of Marvel villains only more hosed up (I totally didn't catch how similar that is to some Metal stuff and now I'm sad), but yeah it's not really dealing too much with some of the big stuff that Aaron's been toying with so we know it can't be the finale no matter how much it seems like it.

I still like Aaron (his Thor is gonna be the gold standard for Thor for a long time imo) but at this point I enjoy his Avengers the way I enjoy a lot of blockbuster action movies, which is to say I enjoy the action scenes but I know in the back of my mind that it most likely will not stick the landing and probably won't be looked back on fondly. But for now the ride's fine.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 2, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The multiverse stuff is extremely uninteresting to me but I have enjoyed the book overall.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Normally, people accusing a writer of just smashing action figures together, is a lazy criticism. In the case of Aaron’s Avengers, I consider it a valid compliment.

The 1,000,000 BC Avengers, and the Avengers Celestial base are both inspired. You can tell he probably prepared to write Avengers by reading Morrison’s JLA, and is just have a hell of a time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm guessing that the celestial base was something aaron came up with without the sparing the slightest thought for the eternals. then someone realized that oh right, eternals would be slightly displeased about such a thing. so, synergy. then the x-men are also there because they are real hot right now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't it recently come out on his substack that Aaron finally said the quiet part out loud that She-Hulk was the way she was in his run because he wanted Hulk but Immortal was happening right at that time?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't it recently come out on his substack that Aaron finally said the quiet part out loud that She-Hulk was the way she was in his run because he wanted Hulk but Immortal was happening right at that time?
No?

Jason Aaron posted:

It’s simple really. I just wanted a Hulk who looked like a Hulk.

When I was first putting together my Avengers roster, I asked for She-Hulk. I’d written the Bruce Banner Hulk before, and I wasn’t really interested in going back to him. But I was intrigued by Jen. And I already knew that the ever-awesome Ed McGuinness was coming on board as the main series artist. One of the all-time greats. Who I’d been lucky enough to work with before on AMAZING X-MEN, where we brought Nightcrawler back to life. And who is perhaps best known for his legendary run on HULK, in particular the Red Hulk storyline. Ed draws great loving Hulks. Giant muscle-bulging monstrosities with absolutely impossible physiology. Arms the size of tree trunks. Fists that are bigger than their own heads. That’s what a Hulk is to me. That’s what I wanted to see Ed draw. Meanwhile She-Hulk has most often been portrayed as a real-life shapely woman who’s simply been spray-painted green. And look, I love a good, gorgeous, John-Byrne-drawn She-Hulk swimsuit shot as much as the next nerd. But I was much more interested in Jen having Hulk fists the size of her Hulk head for a change. And in her solo series that was still going on when I started writing AVENGERS, Jen was already in a much darker and angrier place. So it all came together to create a version of She-Hulk who was more Hulked out than ever.
Unless he is lying here and buried deeper in the Substack is him no longer utilizing dog-whistle She-Hulk using

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I am skeptical of these claims, because you can have a giant musclebound monstrous looking She-Hulk who is still sassy and has her wits about her. Or if you want her to be pissed off all the time, have it be in a way that is somehow distinct from her cousin instead of having her basically be substitute Bruce

Hell, New Devil Hulk in Immortal definitively proved a Hulk who is 100% mad, but isn't flipping out all the time, is the scariest Hulk there is

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Xmen vs Eternals is gonna be interesting because only one side can keep coming back from the dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azubah posted:

Xmen vs Eternals is gonna be interesting because only one side can keep coming back from the dead.

Unless they dismantled or destroyed the machines, the Eternals will still resurrect right?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That depends on current leadership and if they're okay with a human dying for the resurrection.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Azubah posted:

That depends on current leadership and if they're okay with a human dying for the resurrection.

Thanos is the current leader of the Inhumans.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Thanos is the current leader of the Inhumans Eternals.

Fixed that for ya, though can't fault you for mixing up the obscure, Kirby ancient alien teams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah i was just stuck in the "yet another stupid factions at odds crossover" thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rip the moon

the lack of tidal lock might be a problem for a certain island

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Cyclops: "Who the gently caress blew up my palatial lunar gently caress estate"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wait what happened to the moon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it got blewed up in the reckoning war book today

Wanderer posted:

Cyclops: "Who the gently caress blew up my palatial lunar gently caress estate"

oh yeah, rip sex house too

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The mutant sex-house too?

It's a rare old Wednesday, I'll tell you what.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

just lol at the Reckoning War

"they blew up the moon! What will happen?"

"oh lots of planets don't have moons it's fine"

Slott you loving hack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I thought you guys were talking about that Moonfall flick.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Azubah posted:

I mean it used to be Deviants, it's entirely possible they could just set it to mutants and use aggressive suicide as an attack tactic.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Is it actually happening? I assumed all mentions of it were an ongoing joke

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Harold Fjord posted:

Is it actually happening? I assumed all mentions of it were an ongoing joke

Comics!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gonna assume it gets fixed somehow within the series, and no other comic even mentions it. This just seems way to dumb for other writer's to get on board with. Either that or Moon Knight is about to take a very unexpected turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Codependent Poster posted:

just lol at the Reckoning War

"they blew up the moon! What will happen?"

"oh lots of planets don't have moons it's fine"

Slott you loving hack.

seems like the tide is about to shift