Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Apparently Valve has also said you'll be able to change the TDP if you want. Its not clear if they mean within / near the 4-15w window or up to the 35w these parts nominally run at, but it'll be interesting to see what it can do on a higher power budget / before the cooling gives out.

Yeah this is really cool because it seems as though you can set up per game profiles. It’s doable on windows but it’s pretty clunky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Playstation buttons only have two letters on them which makes it even more confusing

Playstation buttons should be referred to using the number of lines on the icon: 1, 2, 3 and 4

This also proves that the correct control scheme is rightmost button to confirm and the bottom one to cancel

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

flavor.flv posted:

Playstation buttons should be referred to using the number of lines on the icon: 1, 2, 3 and 4

This also proves that the correct control scheme is rightmost button to confirm and the bottom one to cancel

circle is actually many lines otherwise the square and triangle would also be 1. feel stupid now????????????????????

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
if anything i think people are vastly underestimating the steam deck because of how much having a standardized hardware profile contributes to the ability to actually optimize games for the platform.

PC gaming has both the benefit of being very configurable and the downside of being very configurable. getting actual consistent performance out of hardware systems with similar specs is remarkably difficult because even minor variances in hardware, drivers, or whatever else your computer is running at the time heavily contributes to performance issues. it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the deck might outperform older GPUs in similar scenarios because it's comparing apples to oranges, or comparing a PC to a Nintendo Switch.

obviously it's not going to hit Modern PC levels of performance but like, if (and that's a fairly big if) the deck ends up taking off and developers create more tailored profiles to the deck (and not just tweaking already available settings) then you should expect a fairly performant device. obviously some of this goes out the window if you end up just installing windows on the device and is partially why I was never particularly convinced by other handheld PCs but hey, the option's there.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Well, if it winds up bombing, at least I might be able to score one for rock bottom prices later on, like the Steam Link.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

if anything i think people are vastly underestimating the steam deck because of how much having a standardized hardware profile contributes to the ability to actually optimize games for the platform.

PC gaming has both the benefit of being very configurable and the downside of being very configurable. getting actual consistent performance out of hardware systems with similar specs is remarkably difficult because even minor variances in hardware, drivers, or whatever else your computer is running at the time heavily contributes to performance issues. it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the deck might outperform older GPUs in similar scenarios because it's comparing apples to oranges, or comparing a PC to a Nintendo Switch.

obviously it's not going to hit Modern PC levels of performance but like, if (and that's a fairly big if) the deck ends up taking off and developers create more tailored profiles to the deck (and not just tweaking already available settings) then you should expect a fairly performant device. obviously some of this goes out the window if you end up just installing windows on the device and is partially why I was never particularly convinced by other handheld PCs but hey, the option's there.

"Vastly" underestimating? Really? Even if devs do start "optimizing" for the steam deck, what this will mean in practice most likely is that some games will get optimized settings. There's no secret hidden power lurking beneath the surface of the APU in this thing that devs will be able to tap into.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

FZeroRacer posted:

it shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the deck might outperform older GPUs in similar scenarios because it's comparing apples to oranges, or comparing a PC to a Nintendo Switch.

no it isnt, its comparing pc hardware to pc hardware. its actually an extremely easy comparison to make, because theyre the same thing. its just pc hardware running pc games, if it does not have the power required to outperform those older gpus thhen it simply will not.

quote:

obviously it's not going to hit Modern PC levels of performance but like, if (and that's a fairly big if) the deck ends up taking off and developers create more tailored profiles to the deck (and not just tweaking already available settings) then you should expect a fairly performant device.

what would these tailored profiles entail that arent tweaking settings and presumably arent further reductions or changes in image quality. are you imagining devs will be able to optimise games like its a console on your linux pc running games on steam.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

forest spirit posted:

fake edit: I just tried to find that specific youtuber but I couldn't, they didn't have a physical controller on-screen but one of those overlays so you can see what they're paying exactly and with how much force.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYI8ifruvIqVtAY3joqlpfw ?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The steam deck will use the exact same hardware architectures already present on the PC, utilizing the exact same APIs, and they will even likely use the same Radeon drivers. There is no super special optimizing to be done for the steam deck that isn't already being done for existing PC hardware.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

"Vastly" underestimating? Really? Even if devs do start "optimizing" for the steam deck, what this will mean in practice most likely is that some games will get optimized settings. There's no secret hidden power lurking beneath the surface of the APU in this thing that devs will be able to tap into.
yes and the Nintendo Switch is a disaster in terms of actual raw power but that didn't stop them from throwing Doom Eternal on it and running it at a stable 30fps through smart optimization. the switch has its own fair share of performance issues but because people know how it's gonna behave and it will behave generally the same among all users that lets you make more targeted optimizations. as i said this will depend on if the system takes off and if developers are willing to do that performance optimizations for the hardware.

comparing a typical off the shelf GPU to a customized APU and a system with a thin OS layer is silly because there's so many different aspects that go into the under the hood optimization and how games will run that it's almost pointless. and this is before even getting into windows vs linux and what that means for performance and compatibility due to either native ports or having to run through proton. the few benchmarks that we've seen so far have been fairly promising and that's with games that can have issues running well even on modern hardware but whether or not those hold up to scrutiny will depend once the deck is out in the wild.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

FZeroRacer posted:

yes and the Nintendo Switch is a disaster in terms of actual raw power but that didn't stop them from throwing Doom Eternal on it and running it at a stable 30fps through smart optimization. the switch has its own fair share of performance issues but because people know how it's gonna behave and it will behave generally the same among all users that lets you make more targeted optimizations. as i said this will depend on if the system takes off and if developers are willing to do that performance optimizations for the hardware.

comparing a typical off the shelf GPU to a customized APU and a system with a thin OS layer is silly because there's so many different aspects that go into the under the hood optimization and how games will run that it's almost pointless. and this is before even getting into windows vs linux and what that means for performance and compatibility due to either native ports or having to run through proton. the few benchmarks that we've seen so far have been fairly promising and that's with games that can have issues running well even on modern hardware but whether or not those hold up to scrutiny will depend once the deck is out in the wild.

bro. you have liteilrally no idea what youre talking about lmao its not a console. its a personal computer running linux. u probably shouldnt buy one if you are this misinformed about what you are buying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

Yeah I guess anything is possible if you just handwave away all the details and boil everything down to "lol they'll just optimize better"

guess we'll see how this will pan out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you seriously need to get your expectations in check, this is the kind of baffling pre-release hype that turns into people getting angry when they get their hands on a game and the puddle reflections were downgraded

everyone, it's a handheld PC with significant compromises being priced at half of what the aya neo costs. look up videos of the aya neo and you'll get an idea of what the steam deck can do. it will not match the 970, it will not run all Switch games at 120fps, it will not output horizon forbidden west at 4k. everyone just stop it. stop it stop it stop it. and if you can't stop it, then don't get all mad in a month when the steam deck doesn't live up to your ridiculous speculation

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Even if the steamdeck gets an install base big enough to warrant tuning your code for Valve's own branch of arch linux and a hardware configuration that will never exist outside of this one (Valve-produced) device, all of the standardization console optimization relies on goes out the window the minute someone tinkers with an options file.

E:

The 7th Guest posted:

get all mad in a month when the steam deck doesn't live up to your ridiculous speculation

please do do this though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

FZeroRacer posted:

yes and the Nintendo Switch is a disaster in terms of actual raw power but that didn't stop them from throwing Doom Eternal on it and running it at a stable 30fps through smart optimization.

To be fair, Doom Eternal is an iD game, who have always been known for their whizbang engines that do cool graphical poo poo very efficiently through clever rendering tricks and stuff. Not every game/engine is going to be as flexible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Arcsech posted:

To be fair, Doom Eternal is an iD game, who have always been known for their whizbang engines that do cool graphical poo poo very efficiently through clever rendering tricks and stuff. Not every game/engine is going to be as flexible.

its not game/engine. its platform. the switch is not a pc. [slamming your heads into the floor while yelling[ the steam deck. is a pc. its not ac onsole. its using high level api calls and the os is handling memory and cpu management.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

you seriously need to get your expectations in check, this is the kind of baffling pre-release hype that turns into people getting angry when they get their hands on a game and the puddle reflections were downgraded

everyone, it's a handheld PC with significant compromises being priced at half of what the aya neo costs. look up videos of the aya neo and you'll get an idea of what the steam deck can do. it will not match the 970, it will not run all Switch games at 120fps, it will not output horizon forbidden west at 4k. everyone just stop it. stop it stop it stop it. and if you can't stop it, then don't get all mad in a month when the steam deck doesn't live up to your ridiculous speculation
no one is expecting this, but i just find the comparisons to the 970 and other hardware profiles to be remarkably silly because it's an entirely separate beast and there's so many different factors that go into how a machine like this will run. hardware has gotten more efficient over the past 7 years, but the fact that this is a portable means power consumption is more of an issue than ever along with heating, linux vs windows etc etc. the aya neo is probably the closest comparison out there but even that isn't quite the best until we get SteamOS 3.0 out there and can see how little or how much Valve has tinkered with the underlying system.

i choose to be somewhat optimistic because the details we've seen so far with prerelease hardware have been fairly good. obviously no one should expect to run the latest games 60 fps on high but i do believe you can expect to run a lot of them on low 30fps solidly, and older games will likely fit in the range of low-medium for 60/30 respectively. especially as i'm comparing to my own personal experiences of using a 970 in these silly comparisons where i was running into performance issues.

Arcsech posted:

oh no I agree, ID is known for being absolutely insane about making everything run and render as fast as possible. i'm not expecting that outta people; but sometimes it can be things like 'turns out our rendering loop was making too many passes and we can improve it with (a lot of) effort' and normally unless you're porting to consoles or a system like the Switch you can generally expect a PC to just brute force it. that's where you can see games approach performance parity on weaker systems because porting the game to a weaker system creates a need for an optimization pass.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

FZeroRacer posted:

no one is expecting this, but i just find the comparisons to the 970 and other hardware profiles to be remarkably silly because it's an entirely separate beast

it isnt.its a pc. it is the same as any other pc.

FZeroRacer posted:

i choose to be somewhat optimistic because the details we've seen so far with prerelease hardware have been fairly good.

the prerlease leaks had the steam deck running shadow of the tomb raider at 36fps on high at 800p. a 970 runs it at at 50fps on highEST at 1080p you lunatic.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The leg up that the deck has (possibly) is the software side with community profiles for games which could tweak things for better battery life / performance.

Right now on windows it doesn’t really work like that.

Devs could (maybe lol) also throw out a game profile which all deck owners could use. They wouldn’t need to really modify their game for that.

That’s just for small tweaks though and it’s not going to do anything magical.

Like we could get a profile that puts the deck into 7w mode for Stardew or whatever and gives you 6 hours of battery life for that specific game.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
The other nice thing is, with a small screen the difference between high and medium settings is probably far less noticeable

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm going to play games on the Deck and nobody is going to stop me

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
But have you considered the hardware or the buttons?!?! I am very smart

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
im going to use my deck to exclusively play Stardew Valley, Vampire Survivors and World of Horror while laying down and im gonna like it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
would the people who bought this to play AAA games at 120fps let me know if they want to sell it to me, the enlightened visual novel player

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Heran Bago posted:

Same here! A relative had an old beater laptop that couldn't run it well, and it was a night-and-day difference after putting Ubuntu on the thing. We also tried swapping Java for OpenJDK but didn't notice a difference. Modpacks used to be complicated under Linux, but there are different launchers these days.

I'm mostly curious how it performs on the Deck's hardware specs with Linux.

You can configure the Java runtime environment, but the only time I’ve seen an actual jump in performance was from Java 8 to 16 (especially if you look at the ram consumption on the debug view) and they shipped 16 as the default in Minecraft 1.17 or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah I guess anything is possible if you just handwave away all the details and boil everything down to "lol they'll just optimize better"

guess we'll see how this will pan out

95% of these are windows native games run through their compatibility tooling. It’ll be a minor performance hit, but a hit nonetheless
Steam on my coffee-lake Linux laptop with an intel GPU is surprisingly okay

I’m concerned about the build quality of devices like the Aya Neo. My switch (with a pro controller) holds up great,, in a year’s time will I be listening to a buzzy fan, touch shiny creaky plastic and have a mostly dead battery in my Chinese branded whatchamacallit?

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 2, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm getting a Steam Deck because my Steam library is all old games and if like Borderlands 3 or Fallout 4 (IIRC the two newest games I have on Steam) don't run at 120 fps or whatever I'll live.

Also gonna emulate a lot on that thing. Like pick up a 512 gig SD and stick fuckin PS2 and GameCube games on it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is it possible to change your pre-order for a cheaper model?

I realized that I'm 99% gonna use the Deck for streaming games from my main PC. I ordered the fancy model for the screen but it's not worth the price difference.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I'm getting a Steam Deck because my Steam library is all old games and if like Borderlands 3 or Fallout 4 (IIRC the two newest games I have on Steam) don't run at 120 fps or whatever I'll live.

Also gonna emulate a lot on that thing. Like pick up a 512 gig SD and stick fuckin PS2 and GameCube games on it.

Hell yeah
Gonna play through all the FF pixel remasters

and maybe Shadow Hearts finally

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

anatomi posted:

I realized that I'm 99% gonna use the Deck for streaming games from my main PC. I ordered the fancy model for the screen but it's not worth the price difference.

I switched and went the opposite direction. You go to the back of the queue. But yes, you can change it by cancelling and reserving the other one. I did this in December and it just says after Q2 which I'm guessing means "gently caress if we know anything past June at this point"

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
The only real dev tweak the deck might cause would be as an example, the switch controls for diablo3 coming back to pc.

But yeah, I'm seeing myself sticking to more laid back games. I actually forgot about stardew valley in my original list and that would be up there. I rebought it for switch just because that game felt designed to be on a portable system. Others come to mind too. Like ori and the blind forest and hollow knight. Other fun metroidvanias should be enjoyable as well.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

anatomi posted:

You'd lose your place in the queue.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone who wants to trade up from a cheaper model after they've shipped, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m confused why everyone is treating 30 FPS and mid settings as a bad thing

That’s literally all I want

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://www.pcgamer.com/valves-steam-deck-now-comes-with-amd-fsr-upscaling-as-standard-on-any-game/

does this help any

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
What resolution is a game going to be running at that it's upscaling to 800p? I'd worry about text readability at that point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Streaming sucks and streaming over wifi particularly sucks so I wouldn't move myself to the back of the queue over that

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ooh, the FSR patches were merged into gamescope?

You can tell gamescope to sandbox an application in a virtual screen of arbitrary size and upscale or downscale to whatever you want. I've been using it for games that insist on changing my monitor resolution, a huge no-no on Linux OS'.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FZeroRacer posted:

it's an entirely separate beast and there's so many different factors that go into how a machine like this will run. hardware has gotten more efficient over the past 7 years, but the fact that this is a portable means power consumption is more of an issue than ever along with heating

the specs have always been public, it's all commodity hardware that already exists in some form in the real world, and the software is a linux distro that you can just download and play with

this is only mysterious to you because you have no idea what you're talking about. you could lurk and ask questions instead of these bold yet vague proclamations yknow

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why does no one ever post this way about the Aya Neo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NRVNQSR posted:

What resolution is a game going to be running at that it's upscaling to 800p? I'd worry about text readability at that point.

Depends on the game I think. People have been using FSR on switch emulators recently and it works great on low end systems going from 480p to 720p, but switch games are mostly designed to be legible on a 7" display to begin with. I wouldn't use it to play Disco Elysium, but you wouldn't need it for that anyway.