Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 1, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 1, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 1, 1990)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Birdi

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/1/02

Brenda Starr 2/2-4/48

Smokey Stover 12/16/45/

Everyday Movies 10/20/34

"I'm sick and tired of washing, Mrs. Green. Why, if I had the figger I had ten years ago -- or even five -- I'd join them Noodists so quick it'd make your head swim."

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

I missed yesterday due to Reasons, we will be back on-schedule tomorrow!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 31, 1949)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Axa should stay with the alien. If he treated her half as well as she does mark the robot, be an improvement over all the assholes she's been with.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 31, 1949)

All in all, we're just another Pict in the Wall

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

The motherfucker hasn't even apologized yet, you wretched old witch

edit: seriously, it's like Mary has a bet that Estelle's going to marry Wilbur. "Haha yeah he's such an rear end I agree but you are still gonna forgive him right??"

"Ugh, I can't believe Wilbur threatened to run over my niece if he ever caught her on my property ever again, then fired at her with his concealed handgun!"
"Sometimes we love someone so much we just get carried away, you know. Anyways here's an engagement ring - no need to worry, he's already got the other one. You can thank me later!"

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Axa should stay with the alien. If he treated her half as well as she does mark the robot, be an improvement over all the assholes she's been with.

:hai:

Classic Kevin & Kell in: moving out, moving in (August 29 - September 4, 2005)

Destroy all HOAs.

Modern Kevin & Kell

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Come on Estelle, it's not like he's shot your cat. Yet.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "9 - Jucika at the Cinema"

"10 - Jucika and the Easter Sprinkling"

"This is a reference to the Hungarian tradition of symbolically "watering" women on Easter as if they were flowers, most often with perfume. These men would be rewarded with Easter eggs and pastries."

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

loving Quit! Leave! Hit Da Bricks!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Leap! Thud! Sprint... trip.

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Safety and friendship for poor old Jason, thank goodness. I’m sure that whoever that broad-hatted wanderer is is VERY VERY NICE.

This page reminds me of the end of the first issue of Steeple, when Rev. Penrose tripped on a rock while fighting the eyeball monster and had to be saved by Billie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Thank you for the input re. my concerns, btw - if i feel something is a bit suspect, I'll use timgs in the future. On that note, in today's Blueberry: The sheriff of Mimbres has a papal bull declared against them, or Well, it's a good thing that Blueberry made such a good impression with Vigo!, or Abe gets upset with his co-workers

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Murdstone posted:

gently caress you, Mary Worth!

gently caress no!

https://youtu.be/elipyQvLoDg

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Murdstone posted:

Or we could, I dunno, not put up with Wilbur's poo poo and all be a lot happier.

Except Mary. She needs that sweet, sweet bullshit to feel truly alive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Mary Worth is straight up a gaslighter

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's basically a domestic terrorist.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Mary Worth owns.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

lol timely indeed

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sort-of relevant to the thread: Italian actress Monica Vitti died today; she played Modesty Blaise in the 1966 movie of the same name, adapted from the comic strip.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mikl posted:

Sort-of relevant to the thread: Italian actress Monica Vitti died today; she played Modesty Blaise in the 1966 movie of the same name, adapted from the comic strip.

Yeah, but I saw a clip from a Modesty Blaise movie and it was terrible, so no biggie

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

While not a good movie, that's mostly due to them not being able to decide if they want a farce or a serious movie and splitting the difference by alternating between takes.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I like Daddy Daze.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

somepartsareme posted:

I like Daddy Daze.

eat my ba

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "9 - Jucika at the Cinema"

:3: that's one solution

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

~Coxy posted:

Foxy Grandpa

This honestly fits very well into the Foxy Grandpa canon.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What a disgusting sentence, life with Wilbur. No one in that table has to have a life with Wilbur, not even his daughter who lives out of state and could probably just :sever:. This is a seriously bad story arc and message that Moy is writing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It was always obvious that this Mary Worth arc was going to end with Wilbur being forgiven for everything because Estelle loves him for nebulous reasons. What's surprising was how many times it doubled down on what a lovely person he was before returning there.

It might not even be over! It's not the first time Mary has convinced Estelle to give Wilbur a hundredth chance in this arc alone - that's why they were on the cruise.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
This is like, what, his fourth chance now? Fifth? The guy is unstable and capricious with thinner skin than an onion and more sensitive than a jug of nitroglycerin.
DO NOT DATE

jfc Mary

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Murdstone posted:

Just name the loving comic Life With Wilbur and get it the gently caress over with already, christ.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wait is the Mark Trail arc over? Did anything happen?

Vater und Sohn: The book of magic (50/1936)
(also the title of the book shown so I can save on translating)

The poem I mentioned with the last page was Das Gewitter (The Thunderstorm) by Gustav Schwab and you can read it here in the original German if you'd like.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 2, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait is the Mark Trail arc over? Did anything happen?

Mark and Diane went to a river and got photos of zebra mussels on a DDG boat. The DDG boat deployed anti-piracy hoses which total strangers yeeted themselves into the line of fire to endure a soaking on Mark's behalf, giving Mark 'Nam flashbacks for his PTSD. It turns out the strangers are a club of boating veterans who help Mark. DDG sends Boffo, a man who can punch people, to punch Mark and physically take his laptop and camera. Boffo is whacked with a shovel, Mark publishes the article, Mark and the vets try to blockade the river to symbolically stop DDG but they get arrested for it. Mark is now doing a victory lap for raising awareness, though maybe the next few strips will have DDG get in trouble.

There was also a Cherry storyline, a vesitigial redundant rider to Cherry's storyline and a vestigial third side story about Bee Sharp quitting the NFT business. DDG actually did their part(Colonel Sanders expressed frustration about having done so before dispatching his Literal Hit-Man) to try to keep zebra mussels off their boats so I'm still hoping there's some mustache twirling eco-psycho who planted them or something.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I've been away from this thread for some time. When did Mark Trail get hip?
I do appreciate there's still a 'random animal closeup' panel.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

"Poppy" is a brand-name-avoiding reference to a drink called "Hoppy," which is a non-alcoholic beer-ish malt beverage that's served mixed with the cheapest alcohol available as an inexpensive beer substitute.

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

This one needs some explanation. Foxes, in Japanese mythology, are generally-malevolent trickster spirits with, among other things, the ability to possess people. Also, a fox's favorite food is fried tofu (the surest way to expose a fox is to let it smell fried tofu, so it loses its concentration and lets its tail show), and as a result noodles with fried tofu as a topping are called "fox-style noodles". So, today's comic is: Q-Rais sees what he thinks is an ordinary bowl of noodles, then notices it's topped with fried tofu and making fox sounds, and so realizes it's not an ordinary bowl of noodles, but is rather fox noodles, in this case not only just fox-style noodles, but literally noodles possessed by a fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake