Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/1488895702767972352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I know Stingley has some injury concerns but it seems like a classic case of overthinking a stud corner I'd he does indeed drop

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

I know Stingley has some injury concerns but it seems like a classic case of overthinking a stud corner I'd he does indeed drop

His tape from the last two years is bizarrely bad. If he's drafted high it's on the strength of tape from 3 years ago when he was a freshman.

I mean at some point the tape is the tape. He 's also bad at tackling and has seeming effort and willingness issues in that sphere. In the NFL you can't play corner and not tackle aggressively.

Still a chance he could be good, of course, but if he's so good how did he put such mediocre play on tape for two years?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Play posted:

His tape from the last two years is bizarrely bad. If he's drafted high it's on the strength of tape from 3 years ago when he was a freshman.

I mean at some point the tape is the tape. He 's also bad at tackling and has seeming effort and willingness issues in that sphere. In the NFL you can't play corner and not tackle aggressively.

Still a chance he could be good, of course, but if he's so good how did he put such mediocre play on tape for two years?

I mean, corners can look abysmal on tape when the fundamental problem is that the structure of the defense doesn't work. Tends to happen when you go from playing in a competent scheme to whatever the hell Pelini was calling and then fight injuries. They went away from rugby tackling when Aranda left, and it shows throughout the defense too since it kept putting him in bad situations compared to '19. Aranda used him like a pure coverage piece who occasionally needed to tackle in screens and generally only ever doing like Press/Bail combos as a changeup where you take advantage of his ability to keep leverage while staying close. Pelini's idea of a changeup was...country cover 3 and spot-drop where he's going to tackle from a position of incredibly cushy leverage where the receiver potentially has stability or force moving forward. When you're already hurt, having to play a bunch of "drop, run, separate" isn't going to make you look good, and he might be slightly limited tackling, but you really don't draft/use a guy with his coverage and ball skills with the intent that he's going to be a tackling zone corner anyways.

Factor in too that the first thing corners stop doing when they get hurt is tackling high, and I'm not going to fuss too much about it. His worst tape was against Devonta Smith in 2020, but so was everyone's that year, especially when he had no help on defense. He absolutely locked his matchup down against Bama the year prior and destroyed George Pickens and Demetris Robertson in the SECCG when he got a chance. If you want to say he was low effort or willingness the last two seasons, I'll counter that's on the coaching staff given everything we saw out of him in '19 versus what we've been told what the issues with that staff in '20 and '21. Guy's proven he can do it before. The tape is the tape, but a guy who can do that at 18 at corner doesn't suddenly lose the ability.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

TheGreyGhost posted:

I mean, corners can look abysmal on tape when the fundamental problem is that the structure of the defense doesn't work. Tends to happen when you go from playing in a competent scheme to whatever the hell Pelini was calling and then fight injuries. They went away from rugby tackling when Aranda left, and it shows throughout the defense too since it kept putting him in bad situations compared to '19. Aranda used him like a pure coverage piece who occasionally needed to tackle in screens and generally only ever doing like Press/Bail combos as a changeup where you take advantage of his ability to keep leverage while staying close. Pelini's idea of a changeup was...country cover 3 and spot-drop where he's going to tackle from a position of incredibly cushy leverage where the receiver potentially has stability or force moving forward. When you're already hurt, having to play a bunch of "drop, run, separate" isn't going to make you look good, and he might be slightly limited tackling, but you really don't draft/use a guy with his coverage and ball skills with the intent that he's going to be a tackling zone corner anyways.

Factor in too that the first thing corners stop doing when they get hurt is tackling high, and I'm not going to fuss too much about it. His worst tape was against Devonta Smith in 2020, but so was everyone's that year, especially when he had no help on defense. He absolutely locked his matchup down against Bama the year prior and destroyed George Pickens and Demetris Robertson in the SECCG when he got a chance. If you want to say he was low effort or willingness the last two seasons, I'll counter that's on the coaching staff given everything we saw out of him in '19 versus what we've been told what the issues with that staff in '20 and '21. Guy's proven he can do it before. The tape is the tape, but a guy who can do that at 18 at corner doesn't suddenly lose the ability.

Yea, 2020 under Pelini was completely hosed up and everybody on the defense looked incompetent. Then 2021 was mostly trying to undo the damage and the defense finally started to round into form in the latter part of the season but by then Stingley was beat up and checked out.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The Kenny Picket Tiny Hands narrative is going to keep chugging.
https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/1488952483988844548

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sounds like a team would be stupid to pick him before, say, the middle of the second round

Play
Apr 25, 2006

none of these quarterbacks deserve to get picked in the first round imo. but they will be regardless

interesting about your guys' opinion on Stingley. Definitely can acknowledge that there are ameliorating circumstances, but it's still a lot you are taking on faith as an NFL team looking to draft him early in the first round.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm enjoying the ringer writeup because it gives me exactly what I want

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.175418914.1804895029.1643753065-1742170047.1628825877

Straight up madden perks

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yes, you CAN actually encapsulate an entire human through the use of 3-4 small icons. the ringer has just proved that

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

none of these quarterbacks deserve to get picked in the first round imo. but they will be regardless

interesting about your guys' opinion on Stingley. Definitely can acknowledge that there are ameliorating circumstances, but it's still a lot you are taking on faith as an NFL team looking to draft him early in the first round.

I think Pickett would be a first rounder in most classes, just not a high one in any of the last three or four. He very much looks like one of those guys who would normally go in the 20-40 pick range and be fine. I still have a gutfeel he's going to be a Panther if he's there at 8 and the better OT prospects are gone.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

who is the best OT prospect this time around? The Giants are picking at 5 and I can't imagine they'll pass up on one of those guys

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Kalli posted:

I'm enjoying the ringer writeup because it gives me exactly what I want

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/?_ga=2.175418914.1804895029.1643753065-1742170047.1628825877

Straight up madden perks

Really like these comps.

"All Pro Player but impossibly better".

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Play posted:

yes, you CAN actually encapsulate an entire human through the use of 3-4 small icons. the ringer has just proved that

But I’m so confused, the guy with 4 icons is ranked below the guy with 3.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Carlosologist posted:

who is the best OT prospect this time around? The Giants are picking at 5 and I can't imagine they'll pass up on one of those guys

Depends on what you want but I think the best fit for Daboll's offense, or at least the one we saw in Buffalo, is probably Ekownu or Green. Big move guys that fit a bunch of positions. Giant's main problem is no RT, Hernandez being a stiff, and tons of injuries. They kind of went into this year assuming the surprising starters from the season before were going to be around and then they got devastated. Like people think the Ravens were bad last year but the Giants had as many games lost to injury among personnel and more to starters. If the rumors of Mara meddling in draft picks are true I can definitely see not only one oline but a few getting picked up this year. Looking at Kinnard or Penning in the second or Donovan West/Sean Rhyan later. They have two third round and two fifth round picks this year and no cap space so they're bound to be looking at depth somewhere.

I'd still rather d-line or a luxury pick with Hamilton/Stingley with the 5th though. The defense definitely needs help there way more and some guys coming back might help the o-line enough to warrant later picks there.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
There was a ton of hype around Penning at the Senior Bowl today, it seemed like. Some seemed to think he wouldn't make it to the 2nd.

Speaking of Senior Bowl hype, apparently Jermaine Johnson is dominating. I feel like he is going to go Top 20 if he tests well at the Combine.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Doltos posted:

I'd still rather d-line or a luxury pick with Hamilton/Stingley with the 5th though. The defense definitely needs help there way more and some guys coming back might help the o-line enough to warrant later picks there.

Do you mean pass rushers when you say D-line? Seems the consensus isn't very high on the interior guys this year. Shame if true.
Ravens landing a Vita Vea at 14 would be pretty perfect.

Feeling more and more that the Ravens are going to be just out of range of any falling blue chip player and are unlikely to get a favorable trade to move back due to back half depth.

Just have to cross your fingers and hope for the desperate team looking for a QB I guess.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really like these comps.

Every player this draft is like an above average player in the league but better, apparently. The first draft with no busts.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Pain of Mind posted:

Every player this draft is like an above average player in the league but better, apparently. The first draft with no busts.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

What does this even mean

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Corral is like the love child of Mayfield and Mariota where the functional athleticism and gunslinger mentality make him just always stir the pot for better or worse. He’s not quite as physically limited as baker or as accurate as either, but his successes look similar to those two, if that makes sense. Which also means he could be Jake Locker.

Ridder and Jones isn’t completely insane? They both operate fairly similar offenses out of 2 TE sets with heavy motion and out break/fade routes to take advantage of the occasional large body receivers they had around. Ridder has a much better physical profile and a much shittier release. He’s probably slightly faster, but Jones has run some in the pros too. They’re both fairly smart guys from the responsibilities given too.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Pain of Mind posted:

Usually happens every year due to testing averages constantly going up and people needing to hype their draft guides. Average person is more receptive to positivity than negativity.

This is a pretty weak class overall with a lot of average to bad players getting into the top 100. The top 10 has two converted guards, a CB that didn't try for two years, probably one unwarranted QB when alls said and done, and a bunch of meh DEs getting overhyped because they're big. The only positions that seem to be particularly deep are OT and WR. Talking heads can't say poo poo like that because click bait doesn't work that great if you think all the players suck.

Of course everyone can be wrong and this could be a great year but last time a similar draft to this one happened was 2013.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

So is the IDL class as good as it's looking at the senior bowl practices? Because I keep seeing clips and talk of guys projected as like third and fourth rounders cooking first round tackle and guard prospects

Also I need to know everything there is about Travis Jones and devonte Wyatt. And also Thomas Booker, Brett kollman has me interested in that guy

Chucktesla fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 3, 2022

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/BenGlassmireNFL/status/1489086228494311432?t=sqDNjFV20NqzV1aMazdRAg&s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

loving woof Faalele. Did he have any good reps at the senior bowl or just get plowed by guys 150lbs lighter the whole time?

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1489071140798550022?s=20&t=xSb626cPZGXsantC4Xhblg

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Steelers sniffing around Willis seems to be a recurring thing this week.
https://twitter.com/uSTADIUM/status/1489346571846266884

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Why are most linebackers described as "off-ball" and what would an "on-ball" LB be?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why are most linebackers described as "off-ball" and what would an "on-ball" LB be?

The big fuckers that take on blockers head on while the offball middle linebacker is the clean up guy. Offball then is usually the three down guy since they are better in coverage as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm gonna say it: I like Malik Willis. And I think he is the best QB in the class. Which isn't saying much but he reminds me of some good players.

It's meant literally, an on ball linebacker is an outside linebacker ON the ball (the line of scrimmage) and usually rushing the passer. Off ball is literally off the ball, set back off the line of scrimmage like a middle linebacker.

It's confusing because they are really completely different positions as far how they've evolved to the present day. On ball linebackers mainly rush the passer from the LOS, off ball is coverage and gap filling like the linebacker position most people think of. Whether you call someone an on ball OLB or a DE is related to whether it's a 4/3 or 3/4 defense primarily, but it's also a relic of previous ways to describe positions kind of.

Play fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 3, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I'm gonna say it: I like Malik Willis. And I think he is the best QB in the class. Which isn't saying much but he reminds me of some good players.

It's meant literally, an on ball linebacker is an outside linebacker ON the ball (the line of scrimmage) and usually rushing the passer. Off ball is literally off the ball, set back off the line of scrimmage like a middle linebacker.

It's confusing because they are really completely different positions as far how they've evolved to the present day. On ball linebackers mainly rush the passer from the LOS, off ball is coverage and gap filling like the linebacker position most people think of. Whether you call someone an on ball OLB or a DE is related to whether it's a 4/3 or 3/4 defense primarily, but it's also a relic of previous ways to describe positions kind of.

Malik Willis seems like this year's trey lance in terms of fast rising status. There's been a number of fluff pieces from a lot of mouth piece writers for teams, including the Panthers and Lions today. I'm thinking while he's less pro ready than Pickett teams are falling in love with his feet and his upside. I'm starting to think he won't get out of the top 10.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

BlindSite posted:

I'm starting to think he won't get out of the top 10.
You’re probably right. Teams will fall in love with QBs this draft.
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1489360339640672256

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

You’re probably right. Teams will fall in love with QBs this draft.
https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1489360339640672256

Looking through the list there's a fair few teams who would be more than willing to take a shot on a QB even if you had to sit them for a year.

Carolina
Detroit
Washington
Atlanta
New Orleans
Minnesota

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

loving woof Faalele. Did he have any good reps at the senior bowl or just get plowed by guys 150lbs lighter the whole time?

https://twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1489071140798550022?s=20&t=xSb626cPZGXsantC4Xhblg

Don't underestimate Luketa's Canadian tenacity

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Play has it pretty well described, but here's a diagram:

#50 and #94 are off the ball, #93 and #92 are on the ball.

The guys on the line of scrimmage are often going to be trying to turn runs back inside, playing more like DEs, etc. The guys off the line of scrimmage have a more complicated set of reads highly dependent on the specific run defense. They often have specialized builds and skill-sets to where they're largely one or the other.

It isn't super rare to see what you'd traditionally call off-the-ball linebackers playing on the line of scrimmage some of the time. The other way around is less common, the run responsibilities and coverage stuff tends to be a little bit more complicated and specialized.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 4, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think that's also why you're seeing some guys listed now as "Edge" defenders rather than "Defensive End". 15 to 20 years ago your defensive end was your Michael Strahan type big dude, always lined up in the C gap (on the outside shoulder of the tackle) whereas now they're a lot leaner and lighter and play more of a hybridised role. Some plays you'll see them in the traditional role in the C gap, other times they'll line up in the D gap (tight ends outside shoulder) or even the E gap. It comes down to run fit and pass rush situation.

Von Miller is listed as an outside linebacker but he's really an "edge" defender and that's how he'd be listed if he was coming out today. Him and Brian Burns do almost the exact same thing but ones technically a LB the others a DE.

On the ball linebackers - TJ Watt, Von Miller, Shaq Barrett

Off the ball linebackers - Jaylon Smith, Lavonte David

But they'll also change that up for whatever reason - personnel, run fit, scheme whatever on some plays. For instance Hamhandler showed Shoebert in as an on the ball linebacker and he's an inside linebacker traditionally iirc.

Teams have also started defending the run a little differently over the last few years. Time was when everything was about fullbacks and blocking tight ends who occasionally broke out into a route the defensive end had to keep the run inside and allow the linebackers to fill those holes to make the tackles. Now days teams have schemes designed for what they call "spill and kill" where the idea of the run is to just clog the middle and the run fit is designed to allow the running back to bump it outside where they have a free tackler. I guess that's in response to more teams using option runs and pitches and designed end arounds etc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, and if you want the definition to get exceptionally confusing on any given play, motion a TE to the backfield and watch how the linebackers probably shift

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
And then factor in deceptive pressures where on ball linebackers fall back into coverage.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Really like these comps.

i'm here for it. now is the time for impossible expectations

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have realized the last five drafts or so that I am widely obsessed with wide receivers.

In every mock draft it is all I care about, and far and away the most I read about. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the obsession of missing out on guys like DK Metcalf or Tee Higgins that drives me crazy.

Anyway would appreciate a deep dive, has one been posted in the thread that I missed? Phone scrolling and didn't see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

TheGreyGhost posted:

All the details

kiimo posted:

I have realized the last five drafts or so that I am widely obsessed with wide receivers.

In every mock draft it is all I care about, and far and away the most I read about. I'm not sure why, maybe it's the obsession of missing out on guys like DK Metcalf or Tee Higgins that drives me crazy.

Anyway would appreciate a deep dive, has one been posted in the thread that I missed? Phone scrolling and didn't see it.