Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Alctel posted:

* citation needed

From everything I've read about him he seems like a million times better** than the usual mega-chud police chiefs

** while still being a police chief and therefore, a bastard

Well what we've seen is that he's had his force basically run protection for a bunch of fascists while they terrorize several neighborhoods for 5 days straight. What you heard about him counts for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

jettisonedstuff posted:

Well what we've seen is that he's had his force basically run protection for a bunch of fascists while they terrorize several neighborhoods for 5 days straight. What you heard about him counts for nothing.

Yes. We have a word for someone who doesn't believe in Nazism in their heart of hearts, but supports and defends Nazis anyway. That word is "Nazi."

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Alctel posted:

* citation needed

From everything I've read about him he seems like a million times better** than the usual mega-chud police chiefs

** while still being a police chief and therefore, a bastard

A million times 0 is still 0.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
cops and klan go hand in hand

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In non-truck news, the hospital here is loving hosed

Last week, somebody died in the emergency room waiting for care while there was a 14 hour wait. I've waited 4 hours there with chest pains while there was a 1 hour wait listed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-emergency-room-wait-times-increase-1.6326871

Now they're diverting all but "life and limb" emergency surgeries to Edmonton or Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-hospital-diverting-patients-1.6335988

I had to go in today for a blood test and they've moved lab collections to a small ~8x12 office.

The UCP gave all community lab services to DynaLife. I've waited outside of their building here for an hour with an appointment and over a week for results.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/researcher-advocacy-groups-concerned-about-dynalife-takeover-of-alberta-community-lab-testing-1.5761559

Here's some nice juxtaposition

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1488889721593864192
https://twitter.com/UnitedNurses/status/1488913990348468225

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

In non-truck news, the hospital here is loving hosed

Last week, somebody died in the emergency room waiting for care while there was a 14 hour wait. I've waited 4 hours there with chest pains while there was a 1 hour wait listed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-emergency-room-wait-times-increase-1.6326871

Now they're diverting all but "life and limb" emergency surgeries to Edmonton or Calgary.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/red-deer-hospital-diverting-patients-1.6335988

I had to go in today for a blood test and they've moved lab collections to a small ~8x12 office.

The UCP gave all community lab services to DynaLife. I've waited outside of their building here for an hour with an appointment and over a week for results.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/researcher-advocacy-groups-concerned-about-dynalife-takeover-of-alberta-community-lab-testing-1.5761559

Here's some nice juxtaposition

https://twitter.com/jkenney/status/1488889721593864192
https://twitter.com/UnitedNurses/status/1488913990348468225

It's all to appease the chucklefucks at the border and the sisterfuckers in La Crete so he can survive his leadership review.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

It's all to appease the chucklefucks at the border and the sisterfuckers in La Crete so he can survive his leadership review.

Ending all restrictions is polling above 50% now so expect COVID to be "over" very quickly in every province soon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

enki42 posted:

Ending all restrictions is polling above 50% now so expect COVID to be "over" very quickly in every province soon.

Kenney's leadership review is also April 9th so he has those crazies to appease too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

The thing is that Alberta has basically no restrictions for the vaccinated as it is. There's nothing you can't do here. So this is all about letting the loving anti-vaxx pieces of poo poo back into society to spread disease, and it should not happen. They should be even more restricted than they are.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And I'm pretty sure the small town rural areas are just open and not bothering with checks anyway, so if you're out in true Tory Territory there's not even that do deal with.

The protesters are people upset at the idea of someone telling them what to do.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/btaplatt/status/1488933144489254912?s=20&t=qBiuCukPaGLf8O_e2hmVUQ

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Now is Poilievre's time to shine!

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Doug Ford your time is nigh

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Get hosed Erin.

But also, you weren't homophobic or xenophobic enough to be a conservative leader.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:rubby:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Erin Out'oole

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Er-out O'tossed

I laughed when Patrick BRown was ousted from the PCPO and look where that got me, so I'm lukewarm on this

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Feldegast42 posted:

if this guy is aiding and abetting nazis and the current situation it doesn't matter how many puppies he pets off hours, hes a nazi

He isn't.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Bolded the answer for ya.

So I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't find "all cops are Nazis because I say so" to be logically coherent or useful.

Fidelitious posted:

Also, why are people in this thread going to bat for Sloly? Yes, he is probably better than the majority of police chiefs, but he is currently overseeing a complete tolerance of anything these chuds feel like doing. The OPS straight-up said that they were too scared of what they might do to enforce any kind of order on the protest. But apparently this is only a factor when it's right-wing white people that are the problem.
He has cleared a very low bar of quality with his words, but the police actions during this protest are of tolerance if not outright support.

Mostly because people are screaming that he's a Nazi, which is problematic in that it trivializes actual Nazis, and kinda gross to be saying about a black man.

But to actually talk about the situation in Ottawa, what are they supposed to do that isn't going to end in a bloodbath? De-escalation and restraint from using violence is actually what we want from the police, and I'm willing to at least give them credit for the fact that there have been no deaths or injuries so far. And before everyone jumps in with "but the cops and the occupiers aren't human so their deaths don't matter", bear in mind that a full-blown street battle in downtown Ottawa would have collateral damage.

Also there's this:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/truck-convoy-protesters-vow-to-stay-as-long-as-it-takes-claim-tens-of-thousands-remain

quote:

Describing the situation in Centretown as lawless, Somerset Coun. Catherine McKenney called on the RCMP to take operational control of convoy protesters near Parliament Hill on Wednesday so Ottawa police can “restore peace” in residential neighbourhoods.

“We really have two fronts — what is happening on the Hill and surrounding streets and what is happening in our residential neighbourhoods,” McKenney said. Because their resources are largely tied up with the situation around Parliament Hill, McKenney said there is virtually no police presence in the neighbourhoods throughout Centretown and the ByWard Market.

“In Centretown, we have people who are exhibiting very dangerous behaviours — harassing people, threatening violence, driving erratically, driving on sidewalks — and because our entire police force is on the Hill, it is absolute lawlessness in Centretown.

“There is no police presence at a time when there is a presence of very dangerous people.”

By all reports there are far more occupiers than Ottawa Police officers, and the immediate solution is to bring in the provincial RCMP. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

PT6A posted:

The thing is that Alberta has basically no restrictions for the vaccinated as it is. There's nothing you can't do here. So this is all about letting the loving anti-vaxx pieces of poo poo back into society to spread disease, and it should not happen. They should be even more restricted than they are.

you have to learn to live with people coughing on you. enough is enough.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Lead out in cuffs posted:

By all reports there are far more occupiers than Ottawa Police officers, and the immediate solution is to bring in the provincial RCMP. I'm not sure why that hasn't happened yet?

:eng101: Ontario has its own provincial police. They're here in Ottawa right now, in ones and twos from the looks of things. They could suppress this violently, but I'm not sure the mayor's office would allow it, and the premier's... well, Ford.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

MNIMWA posted:

Er-out O'tossed

I laughed when Patrick BRown was ousted from the PCPO and look where that got me, so I'm lukewarm on this

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the replacement is going to be far worse. And given the MAGAfication of North America, potentially more successful than O'Toole was.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

you have to learn to live with people coughing on you. enough is enough.

EDIT: It's too hard to tell what's sarcastic these days. Oops!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 2, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why are there still cop defenders logging on. Cops have no problem brutalizing any other group in Canada when we have legitimate grievances but ohhhh noooo they just can't figure out how to handle some loving Nazis when they try to occupy they loving capitol? "A bloo bloo it might start a riot!" When the gently caress else have they ever cared about that?

Nobody cares if someone is a Nazi or just a collaborator because the result is the same in the end. gently caress.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

PT6A posted:

gently caress off. We're still in the middle of a pandemic, more people are hospitalized for COVID in Alberta than ever before, my job is taking a beating because students and staff are too ill to come in regardless of isolation requirements, the immunocompromised are being thrown under the bus by the rest of society, people can't get necessary surgeries. You pro-COVID pieces of poo poo sicken me.

Sorry, I should have made the sarcasm more obvious I guess. You definitely don't to learn to live with people coughing on you.

I'm one of those 'getting thrown under the bus' folks, and just found out yesterday that I can't even take Paxlovid if I do get COVID.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

73, lmao

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
What's the game plan for the Tories, other than replacing O'Toole with someone less likely to pick up marginal seats?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

tagesschau posted:

What's the game plan for the Tories, other than replacing O'Toole with someone less likely to pick up marginal seats?

step 1: out Bernier Bernier
step 2: Everyone else in Canada votes for the liberals, but at least they have the 5% of chuds locked down (they probably still clean sweep alberta somehow)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

enki42 posted:

Sorry, I should have made the sarcasm more obvious I guess. You definitely don't to learn to live with people coughing on you.

I'm one of those 'getting thrown under the bus' folks, and just found out yesterday that I can't even take Paxlovid if I do get COVID.

Ah, gotcha! Yeah, we cannot normalize this, but I've heard exactly what you said basically said with all sincerity, and it's just... incomprehensible to me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

enki42 posted:

step 1: out Bernier Bernier
step 2: Everyone else in Canada votes for the liberals, but at least they have the 5% of chuds locked down (they probably still clean sweep alberta somehow)

Step 3: constantly talk about how Trudeau did blackface 30 years ago as if anybody actually wants Trudeau and aren't holding their nose and voting to keep the Cons from killing us all.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

One positive thing is the longer the protesters hang around being total dickheads, the more they turn public sentiment against them

There is a very definite change in general mood from even a couple of days ago

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Powershift posted:

Step 3: constantly talk about how Trudeau did blackface 30 years ago as if anybody actually wants Trudeau and aren't holding their nose and voting to keep the Cons from killing us all.

Step 4: Lose a bunch of seats to the PPC anyways

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

tagesschau posted:

Hope that Trudeau quits and the Libs pick Freeland, and that enough men will refuse to vote for a female PM and vote for whatever bland white guy the CPC has picked.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slotducks posted:

Doug Ford your time is nigh

IMO he could actually win it all

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

He isn't.

So I seem to be in the minority here, but I don't find "all cops are Nazis because I say so" to be logically coherent or useful.

Mostly because people are screaming that he's a Nazi, which is problematic in that it trivializes actual Nazis, and kinda gross to be saying about a black man.

But to actually talk about the situation in Ottawa, what are they supposed to do that isn't going to end in a bloodbath? De-escalation and restraint from using violence is actually what we want from the police, and I'm willing to at least give them credit for the fact that there have been no deaths or injuries so far. And before everyone jumps in with "but the cops and the occupiers aren't human so their deaths don't matter", bear in mind that a full-blown street battle in downtown Ottawa would have collateral damage.

lol, if there's nothing they can do about this there is no reason to have a police force. They literally just sign papers for insurance companies when your poo poo gets stolen. It's almost as if the sole purpose of the police is to enforce the current social hierarchy and crush any dissent from organized groups of marginalized people.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Any premier abandoning their province during a wave to run for federal leadership is just going to get slaughtered from the left for abandoning and slaughtered from the right for putting in any restrictions at all.

It's a non-starter.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Why are there still cop defenders logging on. Cops have no problem brutalizing any other group in Canada when we have legitimate grievances but ohhhh noooo they just can't figure out how to handle some loving Nazis when they try to occupy they loving capitol? "A bloo bloo it might start a riot!" When the gently caress else have they ever cared about that?

Nobody cares if someone is a Nazi or just a collaborator because the result is the same in the end. gently caress.

Nazis are more likely to fight back, they got trucks to run over cops or smash barricades, and they could always have guns. Its a rare occasion where the usage of violence presents an unacceptable amount of risk of police injury.

It's also basically just a big signal to say "if you want to protest, just make sure the cops feel sufficiently threatened"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
If leftist protestors armed themselves the same way it would be an absolute bloodbath

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Nazis are more likely to fight back, they got trucks to run over cops or smash barricades, and they could always have guns. Its a rare occasion where the usage of violence presents an unacceptable amount of risk of police injury.

It's also basically just a big signal to say "if you want to protest, just make sure the cops feel sufficiently threatened"

Nah, it's that the mayor and police agree with the protestors about restrictions, the police are mostly violent reactionaries and neither see the people living in the centre of the city as their constituents.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Any premier abandoning their province during a wave to run for federal leadership is just going to get slaughtered from the left for abandoning and slaughtered from the right for putting in any restrictions at all.

It's a non-starter.

Jason Kenney: "So there's a chance?"

Is there any law that says someone can't be Prime Minister and a Provincial Premier at the same time? or even can't be an MLA/MPP and MP at the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

They could, I don't know, do their loving jobs and arrest the people committing crimes. And standing around doing nothing besides posing for photos with Nazis isn't de-escalation. De-escalation would be getting the protestors to gently caress off and stop harassing/assaulting passersby, blaring their horns, pissing on the street while waving around swastikas and confederate flags, etc.

And before someone thinks of replying 'but what about other protestors', there are notable differences between the flu trux klan/Coutts blockaders and G20/indigenous protests.