Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I can't tell if I'm agreeing with Mike Lester about a factually true statement (the Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race) or if he's trying to illustrate the 'absurdity' of the statement... By pointing to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, which also wasn't about race either.

Edit: oh, this is about Whoopi Goldberg equating Nazis and Jews as two sides of a conflict. What a weird way to illustrate that point?

Edit edit: no, actually people are mad about Goldberg about saying it wasn't about race because Nazi ideology is actually racist, but I'm still confused about what the Hatfields Mccoys have to do with this??

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Tibalt posted:

I can't tell if I'm agreeing with Mike Lester about a factually true statement (the Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race) or if he's trying to illustrate the 'absurdity' of the statement... By pointing to the Hatfield-McCoy feud, which also wasn't about race either.

Edit: oh, this is about Whoopi Goldberg equating Nazis and Jews as two sides of a conflict. What a weird way to illustrate that point?

Edit edit: no, actually people are mad about Goldberg about saying it wasn't about race because Nazi ideology is actually racist, but I'm still confused about what the Hatfields Mccoys have to do with this??

They're both white is the only takeaway I can find.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

weird how unqualified people getting appointed to positions they don't deserve for political reasons only ever happens when the people in question are minorities, and is a fair assumption whenever you see a minority with authority over you

sure wasn't the case with any of the stooges trump appointed and the GOP expressly prevented from being vetted, did you see how white they are? champions of men

also doesn't apply to chip bok, political cartoonist who doesn't understand metaphor or basic logic and can't even draw good; he is paid for his skill at his craft and certainly not for any nebulous political reasons

I mean "You should recuse yourself because this issue affects you is basically a meaningless argument at this point. There's still conservatives out there saying that Obgerfell doesn't actually apply, because two of the justices that ruled in favour had performed gay marriage ceremonies, and thus couldn't be impartial. Never mind the fact that by their logic gay marriage is a threat to the sanctity of marriage, and thus no Supreme Court justice should get to decide on it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Even by political cartoon standards this one is incomprehensible.

Someone Somewhere: It's hosed up that a school board is censoring a book about the holocaust.

Ted Rall: Oh so what you're trying to say here is I'M not important!? HOW DARE YOU IGNORE MY SUFFERING!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Still going

https://twitter.com/TedRall/status/1488889758701035523?t=oZla-jUOPkyKfFVHSJCh_w&s=19

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That is...wh...is he...

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

I assumed a bunch of people would be dunking on him, but nope. No engagement.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cat Puke posted:

I assumed a bunch of people would be dunking on him, but nope. No engagement.

The vast majority of people in America who give a poo poo about Ted Rall post in this thread.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tibalt posted:

I can't tell if I'm agreeing with Mike Lester about a factually true statement (the Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race)

That is a wildly bizarre statement. What, exactly, do you think the Nürnberger Rassengesetze were about?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tibalt posted:

"Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race" seems like the dumbest loving hill to die on considering that the nazi sure did believe that is was about race:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:lmao:Ted Rall

how can he keep digging further and further because he feels slighted by a man who hasn't engaged him in decades

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Alhazred posted:

"Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race" seems like the dumbest loving hill to die on considering that the nazi sure did believe that is was about race

Those guys had a bunch of weird opinions, you shouldn't listen to them. Me personally, I'm going to figure this out for myself.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

We have not dismantled Capitalism until every library has every book known to humanity.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

He didn't say library, I think he's trying to say unless every building has every book ever, books have never been banned.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you can't reach out your hand and pick up a copy of a book, it's been banned.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson, the Sue Gray report and the Conservative party – The prime minister is facing backlash from angry Tory MPs over the parties scandal"

Telegraph:

Boris Johnson warns Russia of swift sanctions as soon as 'first toe cap' crosses into Ukraine

Matt:

Michael Gove’s 12 commandments for levelling up Britain to be set in stone

Independent:

Times:

Wordle: New York Times buys viral game for seven-figure sum

Evening Standard:

Evening Standard Comment: Don’t let levelling up hit London’s recovery

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The clear solution is an all-Ted-Rall-based school curriculum.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Mr. Squishy posted:

If you can't reach out your hand and pick up a copy of a book, it's been banned.
That scp that flooded a world with potatoes or something but instead it's books

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe:

I'm not certain who that is but given the context of the glasses and "small target" I'd guess opposition leader Anthony Albanese. Labor to support $600m Kurri Kurri power plant but only if it runs on green hydrogen by 2030 (Guardian).

Knight:

2021 Australian of the Year Grace Tame on the left, former NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian on the right. Prime Minister brushes off reported text exchange between Berejiklian and minister, saying it comes with the job (ABC). "An alleged conversation between a "senior Liberal cabinet minister" and former NSW premier Gladys Berejiklian was relayed live on air by Channel Ten's political editor Peter Van Onselen yesterday. Ms Berejiklian reportedly described the Prime Minister as a "horrible, horrible person", with the minister responding he was a "complete psycho"."

Wilcox:

Dyson:

Warren Brown:

Those were the three items Scott Morrison was asked to price when asked if he was out of touch with ordinary Australians (and Morrison refused to answer).

Leak, Son of Leak:

The National Press Club is where Scott Morrison was giving his address and asked questions like the price of loaf of bread, litre of petrol and a rapid antigen test.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
???

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

IT’S GROUNDHOG DAY, AGAIN.

Punxsutawney Joe popped out of his hole in Delaware and saw his shadow. But it wasn’t HIS shadow. The shadow of President Donald Trump is looming over the crumbling Joe Biden regime, darkening any chance of the Democrats holding the House and Senate in the midterms. Trump continues to hold rallies and he’s popping up everywhere giving interviews and endorsing candidates. Meanwhile Joe stumbles around in a White House set before he takes a nap.

A new Gallup poll just released says only 17% percent of Americans approve of the country’s direction. Seventeen percent. That has to be a record low. Take away ten points and you will have the real number.

Average Americans are much worse off under the Biden regime due to inflation, and it does not look like it will slow down anytime soon. Inflation is crushing hard-working Americans with skyrocketing food and gas prices. Gas was a $1.87 under the Trump administration and the country was energy independent. Biden immediately canceled the Keystone Pipeline and pursued a Green New Deal. We are all seeing the consequences of his disastrous energy polices.

No President has been more damaging to America than Open Borders Biden. More and more Americans are waking up and realizing this.

Democrats bring misery and malaise to our country.

It’s time for Joe Biden to crawl back into his hole.

— Tina

No one cares about Groundhog Day more than political cartoonists.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Bill Murry stans.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raised By Birds posted:

Trump's gonna gently caress the gopher

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man i hope trump dies before biden's term is up just so the GOP can't run him

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cowcaster posted:

man i hope trump dies before biden's term is up just so the GOP can't run him

I hope the GOP runs Trump in 24, and he dies a week before any early voting can start.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

yeah i guess i'll take him being dead whenever's convenient to prevent him from taking office again

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I hope neither party runs loving 80 year olds

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
So...Lester is defending Goldberg, by equating the Shoah with the feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys?

There's a couple levels to this. The obvious one is, you know, all of the people murdered by the Nazis weren't in a feud with Germany. That is, literally, the Nazi narrative. It's (one of the) rationalisations used by Nazis to "justify" their crimes. And this is of course bullshit victim blaming. So gently caress that.

But it's also worth noting that one of the proximate causes of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys was that William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield was the leader of a pro-Confederate guerrilla group after the Civil War, and he took credit for the ambush and murder of Asa Harmon McCoy after he returned home from serving the Union Army during the war.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I went into my local deli and asked for a copy of My War With Brian and they said they didn't have books, can't believe my deli is a bunch of loving fascists banning books like that. - things Ted Rall literally believes

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SubG posted:

So...Lester is defending Goldberg, by equating the Shoah with the feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys?

There's a couple levels to this. The obvious one is, you know, all of the people murdered by the Nazis weren't in a feud with Germany. That is, literally, the Nazi narrative. It's (one of the) rationalisations used by Nazis to "justify" their crimes. And this is of course bullshit victim blaming. So gently caress that.

But it's also worth noting that one of the proximate causes of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys was that William Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield was the leader of a pro-Confederate guerrilla group after the Civil War, and he took credit for the ambush and murder of Asa Harmon McCoy after he returned home from serving the Union Army during the war.
Lester would never take the side of someone using the phrase "white people" in a dismissive way. It's just your bog standard conservative getting rock hard when their think a black celebrity is being racist.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

fool of sound posted:

im always blown away when i remember that branco's website is called comicallyincorrect and he doesn't seem to understand why this is actually funny

Lol.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

That is one of the most galaxy brained takes I've ever seen, and if it weren't Ted Rall I'd be certain it was a joke.

Unfortunately, Ted Rall doesn't know what a joke is.

Raised By Birds posted:

Trump's shoes are so big they stretch past his shadow knees, and teddy bear Biden is popping out of uncomfortable places.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

Lester would never take the side of someone using the phrase "white people" in a dismissive way. It's just your bog standard conservative getting rock hard when their think a black celebrity is being racist.
So walk me through what the comic is supposed to mean.

This isn't a zinger or anything, I'm actually trying to figure out what the gently caress Lester is trying to say.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I almost want to touch the poop to ask him, because the only thing I can pull out of it is either "Black people == real racists" or "The media making a mountain out of a molehill", which are, in this case, entirely contradictory points

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That Lester seems to be the prime candidate to be nominated for most incomprehensible for 2022.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Raised By Birds posted:

He's literally not seeing his shadow

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

SubG posted:

So walk me through what the comic is supposed to mean.

This isn't a zinger or anything, I'm actually trying to figure out what the gently caress Lester is trying to say.
Goldberg originally said the Holocaust wasn't about race. When asked for clarification on the Late Show she said it couldn't be about race because Jews were white by her definition. Her definition of race and framing of these things have been rightly pointed out as harmful.

Lester being a reactionary doesn't really care about any of that context. He hears a liberal celebrity said the phrase "white people" in a way he sees as dismissive. This gets him extremely angry. So the comic is supposed to condemn Whoopi Goldberg for being too dismissive of white people dying. For this purpose Lester is also considering Jewish people white so that he may be offended on their behalf.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Raised By Birds posted:

Not that it matters, but 17% is not a record low. It was 11% last January, in fact. Record low was 7% in October 2008 for some reason.

It is interesting that the satisfaction rate has only once cracked 40 since it looks like 2005, which is an unprecedented streak.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1669/general-mood-country.aspx

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

Lemming posted:

He's literally not seeing his shadow

No, you see, he's seeing Trump's shadow, which definitely still works within the metaphor of Groundhog's Day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

Goldberg originally said the Holocaust wasn't about race. When asked for clarification on the Late Show she said it couldn't be about race because Jews were white by her definition. Her definition of race and framing of these things have been rightly pointed out as harmful.

Lester being a reactionary doesn't really care about any of that context. He hears a liberal celebrity said the phrase "white people" in a way he sees as dismissive. This gets him extremely angry. So the comic is supposed to condemn Whoopi Goldberg for being too dismissive of white people dying. For this purpose Lester is also considering Jewish people white so that he may be offended on their behalf.
I understand everything you just said and don't disagree with it, but I can't turn it into an interpretation of the comic. And again, I'm not trying to do a bit here or anything. I just can't follow the line of thought. Lester thinks Goldberg is being dismissive, okay. I'm with you. But I'm not sure how the Hatfields and McCoys represent or illustrate or contradict or whatever that dismissiveness.