Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY
Yo, interested to play a mmo with goons again, signed up on the discord for EU guild, if it happens.

watched this vid showcasing the different classes in action (spoilers for endgame raid bosses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnQCSAHAQQ4

I noticed that a few of them were sticking to the bosses behind like glue; I just got done with playing a monk in FF14 and I dont want to think about positional attacks ever again. unless its something like "all melee attacks are 15% better from behind" for all classes, and its just a general rule that all characters have to follow, then it doesn't matter but could someone point out which classes have no positional attacks or at least the minimum amount of position dependant attacks ?

PHOOsun fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
The general rule of thumb is that anything that qualifies as a melee attack probably has a general butt attack bonus. This is something ranged classes don't care about. However, the Deadeye should be noted as weird because they end up doing a bunch of melee range buttons.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Watching that video is kind of amusing because I know Striker and Wardancer are sort of gender-swapped counterparts (Striker was added to be a male version of Wardancer I think?), with some differences to justify being a different class, but drat Wardancer looks so much cooler in action than Striker. I'm not sure why but I can just tell by watching them that Wardancer seems a lot faster and more dynamic (at least aesthetically) despite being mostly the same class.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I'm much more annoyed that striker isn't a gender swapped scrapper because scrapper is the best punchy by far, but I just can't get past the Tera-esque female armor.

PHOOsun
Nov 18, 2010

3V3RYBODY STOP WH4T YOUR3 DO1NG 1MM3D14T3LY

PrinnySquad posted:

The general rule of thumb is that anything that qualifies as a melee attack probably has a general butt attack bonus. This is something ranged classes don't care about. However, the Deadeye should be noted as weird because they end up doing a bunch of melee range buttons.

ok, so I think I've narrowed it down to gunslinger and Sorc

Gunslinger has the more involved pistol / shotgun / rifle range to target switching going on, but that seems interesting and involved to me.

If fist punching all has back attacks built in then Soul Fist wins on raw Goku energy blasts

maybe Deathblade.

6 days left to ponder this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Harrow posted:

Watching that video is kind of amusing because I know Striker and Wardancer are sort of gender-swapped counterparts (Striker was added to be a male version of Wardancer I think?), with some differences to justify being a different class, but drat Wardancer looks so much cooler in action than Striker. I'm not sure why but I can just tell by watching them that Wardancer seems a lot faster and more dynamic (at least aesthetically) despite being mostly the same class.
I'm not sure but I think a lot of this comes down to whether the build you're watching pumps agility or not, because it affects attack and movement speed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sindai posted:

I'm not sure but I think a lot of this comes down to whether the build you're watching pumps agility or not, because it affects attack and movement speed.

That's another thing I was thinking about. The fact that Agility affects movement speed means I might end up finding it hard to play anything that doesn't pump Agility. I hate moving slow. Gotta go fast.

Do Paladins need Agility at all? I feel like probably not and as a result I might be one of those "starts as a Paladin and switches" people if it means I have to be a big, slow, lumbering glacier.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Do you think playing from europe on the U.S. east coast server with a ping of about 120/150 will make my gaming experience a nightmare?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Wait, Starfleet Dental isn’t a goon guild? :psyduck: Fond memories reading the STO thread on here where they just trolled the super srs erp people.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
I absolutely despise Youtube "guides/tutorial" videos, so I will try to share a few good text guides when I find them.

General guides:
https://lost-ark.maxroll.gg/
https://papunika.com/

End game prep:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19NIlKjBmG77KM74zc7uDQuJ5HPhSno6fLGqIsmFelb4/edit#gid=0

This is a "56k watch out huge" image, so I will use [timg], but it has a ton of info on it:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh wait I looked at a build guide and Paladins do use Agility :toot:

Wow, a holy knight class that isn't super slow and immobile, fancy that.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Pragmatica posted:

I absolutely despise Youtube "guides/tutorial" videos, so I will try to share a few good text guides when I find them.

I am glad I am not the only one, would much rather read than listen to some shmuck babble forever. Thanks!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think Youtube guides are nice when they show actual gameplay examples. It's helpful for me to see what they're talking about actually play out on the screen. But I hate the style of Youtube guide where it's just someone showing static images and text and talking for a half hour. In that case I would much, much rather just read it.

It's the worst when I see a build/class guide on Youtube and it's just someone with the character sheet/skill tree up rambling and pointing at things with their cursor for like 45 minutes. The worst.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pragmatica posted:

If you don't mind, i'm gonna go ahead and shove this guide into the OP for future reference.

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

I said come in! posted:

If you don't mind, i'm gonna go ahead and shove this guide into the OP for future reference.

Feel free, I will share some others if I run across them. Those main ones though cover a lot of beginner information.

I think it is also important to keep in mind that we still don't know exactly what is going to be in the full release (and even sometimes what the systems will be called as many names have changed), so give people a week or so to update their guides. Don't get frustrated because things don't match up yet or it seems confusing. Most guide writers played RU/KR, or only played in the beta, and are used to those systems and names. We also don't know how much T3 is actually being released or other details like that since quite a bit has changed since the open beta. It will take about a week for things to catch up officially.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Kyrosiris posted:

I've seen a lot of posts about the importance of having a bunch of alts - is that a hard and fast requirement? How behind/disadvantaged would someone be who doesn't really bother with more than like... maybe one alt tops? The repeated emphasis on "alts important" is one of the biggest things that's turned me off from further looking into the game, to be honest.

Just as a heads-up, from what I hear, the upcoming EU/NA Lost Ark release will have something called 'knowledge transfer' where as long as you have a max-level character, you can boost an alt to max-level with a bit of in-game gold. Certainly takes a big worry I had about this game off my shoulders: I love trying out tons of characters but hate doing multiple boring early-game/story runs to get them up, and now it sounds like we only have to do it once and can skip the others up.

https://forums.playlostark.com/t/mega-thread-knowledge-transfer-aka-boost-alts-to-lvl-50-with-gold/37788

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Here's the scoop with Alts, without them you'll fall behind. When you fall behind? I'm not really sure, but likely in T3 at some point. Alts aren't as daunting as one would think. Knowledge transfer will help with the leveling process of Alts. Then the rested system for Guardian raids/ chaos dungeons means that you aren't playing these alts all the time. You can set the alts to have their bifrost at your daily Una tasks. You then set your bind point near the Chaos Dungeons/ Guardian Raids.

The rested works like this if you don't do a chaos dungeon/ guardian raid you gain half a rested bar. If you don't do both for the day, you gain a full bar. 1 full bar gives you DOUBLE rewards the next time you run it. So for each alt, you could skip 2 days, then run your 2 daily dungeons/ raids on the third day for double LOOT. By doing this you lose 33% loot efficiency, you gain 66% in time efficiency. This is what a lot of people do, rather than 'playing' loads of alts. Additionally, if you want to take it a step further, you can pay for guardian carries, which is usually like 200 to be carried, and you make like 500 gold yourself. The carry will kill the boss in like 2 minutes. You generally park alts at certain item levels so they can smash the content below while being still eligible for rewards. Once their main is at a nice spot, then they level alts up to the next milestone so the alts can farm harder content with better rewards.

Alts are just being used to farm resources. Sometimes you might hear a content creator say first main, or second main. Those are characters that are actively played outside of funneling resources.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2022

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Oh snap I forgot about this game and I'm not really playing much else right now. I'll be a big tiddy goth sorceress gf since I always roll mages.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
For the Alts, would we need to create entirely new Steam accounts, or would it be something to do with the in-game menus? If it is the former, I am fine with playing casual and falling behind, but if it is the latter, I am fine with that approach so as long as the means of switching between accounts is seamless.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Flair posted:

For the Alts, would we need to create entirely new Steam accounts, or would it be something to do with the in-game menus? If it is the former, I am fine with playing casual and falling behind, but if it is the latter, I am fine with that approach so as long as the means of switching between accounts is seamless.

I believe you can have 6 characters per account.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can buy more character slots up to 12 or 18.

It's also worth noting that most forms of progress not gear or directly connected to gear are account-wide.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Zotix posted:

Here's the scoop with Alts, without them you'll fall behind.

To be clear to anyone else reading this, unless the thought of falling behind poopsockers will keep you up at night, do not actually worry about this.

Even on a single character, you are not going to have any problem making your way at whatever pace to all of the endgame content, and there will be plenty of people to play with even if you are not progressing at full throttle.

Make alts if you like having alts-- the game is unusually convenient for having alts. If you don't want to, it's not necessary at all unless you have a psychological compulsion to progress as fast as possible.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK didn’t they just fine tune the game so the most alts you’ll need is 6? This was done to counter gold inflation.

6 seems like a lot but with the passive training it wouldn’t be hard to get that many up and running.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK didn’t they just fine tune the game so the most alts you’ll need is 6? This was done to counter gold inflation.

6 seems like a lot but with the passive training it wouldn’t be hard to get that many up and running.

Did Smilegate make it so when you pick say Warrior, you can switch between like Paladin, Berserker, and Gunlancer? Cause that would be cool. Otherwise I was planning on making a new character for each class, for a total of 15 right now. :P

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar

MarcusSA posted:

From what I read you can only auto level 1 alt for each character you manually leveled. So if you want to auto level 3 Alta, you would need to manually level 3 characters.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Did Smilegate make it so when you pick say Warrior, you can switch between like Paladin, Berserker, and Gunlancer? Cause that would be cool. Otherwise I was planning on making a new character for each class, for a total of 15 right now. :P

When you pick a class from your archetype or whatever, you are locked in forever. Once BEEG sword, always BEEG sword.

MarcusSA posted:

It's not so much that you need 6, it's that after a certain point they changed the rewards you get for doing content because people were no life zerging with as many alts as they had time in the day. So after earning gold on 6 characters, your dailies and such earn something else instead.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 3, 2022

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am leveling all classes to cap. :blastu: even if I have to play on different servers.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're poopsocking you 100% need alts or you're just wasting your time, seeing as most of the progression once you're levelled is from dailies/weeklies.

If you're not poopsocking and are limited in how much time you can spend, the rested bonus basically means that if you have two alts + your main and rotate between them, you get twice as much from the dailies for the same amount of time spent compared to only using your main. Plus you get more weeklies, which are the actual fun part of the game for a lot of people.

It's a really good idea to at least get the one alt boosted with gold. Then you gotta decide how manually levelling a second one compares with using that time on your main hunting down account-wide collectathon stuff.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I am leveling all classes to cap. :blastu: even if I have to play on different servers.

You can buy additional character slots on a server, you have up to 4 pages of 6 characters, so you can have more characters than there are classes atm in a single home, sharing all those server bonuses.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

The only reason I see(not the only reason I'm sure), to have a second account is double the life skill resource. But even then, you'd get to a point where you'd probably be bringing a character to 50 because of Platinum fields.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I was thinking I’d play a paladin but apparently everyone is copying me so artillerist it is I guess

heroic ability: mortar

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

For me, US West is going to be the least bad server in terms of latency... at 170 ms.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Gunlancer and maybe Deadeye or Artillerist. This game looks good.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Any chance for a EU goon guild that will still be active after 4 weeks? Berserker or Sorc for me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PrinnySquad posted:

You can buy additional character slots on a server, you have up to 4 pages of 6 characters, so you can have more characters than there are classes atm in a single home, sharing all those server bonuses.

Thank you for the correction! Someone was saying earlier that the max cap was still lower than the number of classes available. Which seemed weird but I didnt bother to question it so that is on me.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The grimmest thing posted on this thread so far was “if you don’t have alts you’ll fall behind”.

Bitch, I will fall behind even with alts and I will let everyone I run into know it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rexicon1 posted:

The grimmest thing posted on this thread so far was “if you don’t have alts you’ll fall behind”.

Bitch, I will fall behind even with alts and I will let everyone I run into know it.

Playing too many alts is usually the reason I fall behind in other MMOs, so this will be a nice change.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Playing too many alts is usually the reason I fall behind in other MMOs, so this will be a nice change.

:same:

I similarly appreciate GW2's extreme alt-friendliness, where almost everything is account-wide so you're never really falling behind on your "main" by playing alts. The things they're gaining are useful to your whole account.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah, I'm really thinking people are wildly misunderstanding the use of alts here vs alts in a game like WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To make sure I'm understanding: there are daily and weekly tasks that are character-level instead of account-level, but the rewards from those can be shared to other characters on your account. So if you run multiple alts that lets you get daily and weekly rewards more often than if you're running just one character, right?

And it's not like "you need to keep all of these characters completely current and play them all equally," just "you can get more goodies by having some side characters you do dailies/weeklies on before spending most of your time on your main."