Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skrode
May 9, 2018

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

we're conditioned for this optimism

THIS is the election that will change things!
THIS is the job where i can be promoted!
THIS is the miracle drug!
THIS is the post that everyone will quote

etc
Quoting for optimism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Glimm posted:

eh there will be omicron specific vaccines eventually, and we'll get faster at producing / providing vaccines over the next 20 years of this pandemic

What good is that gonna do when Omicron immunity is only 3-6 weeks? Monthly boosters?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol amazing

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LionArcher posted:

fake fridge doctor is in the other thread and if you call him fake there you get probed.

D&D and GBS love the sort of overwrought bigpeeler poo poo like he writes

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
syndemic of covid and cancel culture

Skrode
May 9, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

For sale: titers, never maxxed

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
If I get sick I'm going to blame the fridge doctor.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

are you loving kidding me

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lacrosse posted:

What good is that gonna do when Omicron immunity is only 3-6 weeks? Monthly boosters?

Don't think we really know anything yet, but it kind of looks like a mild infection only leads to mild immunity.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Gio posted:

wooks wike a fucky wucky to me!!!

touching on this again…

a couple of things i’m hoping someone smarter than my dumb rear end can clarify.

okay, so obviously you have two groups: vaxxed and unvaxxed. vaxxed are, as a group, older and more vulnerable to severe disease. unvaxxed younger and healthier. the fact that the younger healthier group still represents the majority of hospitalizations even tho theyre a (large) minority is reassuring wrt to vaxx efficacy.

but a couple confounding variables im trying to reason with—

generally we shouldn’t expect all groups to have equivalent levels of exposure/risk of infection. you would expect older people to be more cautious than young, vaxxed to be more cautious than unvaxxed. this plays out with case rates—the oldest have the lowest rates of infection, vaxxed still lower rates than unvaxxed.

(similarly, you’d expect boosted to be more cautious than double vaxxed, more cautious than single dose or j&j’ers. i’d also assume the more slut juice you’ve had, the higher boosted are more vulnerable than double-vaxxed are more vulnerable than single-dosers.)

i guess what im getting at is—how much does individual behavior distort this data?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Challenge trial data came out. Throat swab is proven superior and 5 day isolation leaves a whole lot of infectiousness left.

despite this being obviously true and thread consensus for months, I'm sure armed with this formal data, the driven by science recommendations of the CDC will rapidly be updated

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blatman posted:

i've never heard the phrase before but reading "get some young mouth" makes me feel unclean

I’ve been on the internet for a long time, and I’ve seen a lot of poo poo

but that’s still one of the most cursed phrases I’ve ever read. I literally shudder irl every time. :smithicide:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

quote:

Scientists deliberately gave people COVID — here’s what they learnt]The first participants received a very low dose — roughly equivalent to the amount of virus in a single respiratory droplet — of a virus strain that circulated in the United Kingdom in early 2020. Researchers anticipated a higher dose would be needed to infect a majority of participants, says hVIVO chief scientific officer Andrew Catchpole. But the starting dose successfully infected more than half of participants.
lmao

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

LionArcher posted:

fake fridge doctor is in the other thread and if you call him fake there you get probed.

he’s probably a real doctor but its funny to make fun of him for posting a degree posted on his fridge

the d&d defenses of this are pretty funny too, namely, “as a doctor this resonates with me so much!!!”

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Insanite posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/DrLeanaWen/status/1488650947907792901

this was probably already posted but i'm just so, so tired.

who are these people?

why are they okay being this evil? does any part of them feel shame?

i just wish that my blood-disorder-having dad could go to his doctor's appointments without risking death at this point.

Just gonna go walk down the street firing a gun in random directions. Anyone who doesn't want to get dead is free to wear a bullet proof vest! I gotta live my life, ya know?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

euphronius posted:

it’s not mild !!!

literally going crazy lmao

going mildly crazy :sludgepal:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fosborb posted:

lol amazing

I like shorts with that sort of twist ending

Apr 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1488890382024912896

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

he’s probably a real doctor but its funny to make fun of him for posting a degree posted on his fridge

the d&d defenses of this are pretty funny too, namely, “as a doctor this resonates with me so much!!!”

I don't think he's a physician for a minute, at least not a front line physician during the NYC covid surge. That poo poo was all 100% fiction.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pingui posted:

3600 people is barely even a single 911, once you account for inflation.

I did the numbers and this checks out. a 9/11 today is about 3489 (up from 2977)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't think he's a physician for a minute, at least not a front line physician during the NYC covid surge. That poo poo was all 100% fiction.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I had Covid.

I healed up.

I have some linger stuff.

like my chest kind of hurts, still can’t get a full lung of air, some infrequent lil pangs.

overall it unironically seems like “mild” persistent symptoms but definitely worse than being healthy.

should I bother going to a PCP?

i was otherwise healthy: not overweight, did cardio, clean diet, no smoking or drinking, etc

gregday
May 23, 2003

Andrew Catchpolio

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i was talking to a good friend on the phone yesterday about unrelated things, and she mentioned her covid case

'i hope you're still being careful, because it was awful. i don't know how i got it!'

we're close, so i could really dig in, and i asked "how careful exactly? Were you breathing any air without a mask, for even a moment, outside of the door to your apartment?"

'yeah, i'd take out my garbage, or grab the mail, but i could always see the hall was empty.'

oops

It's not fair to require people to live with such little margin for error to avoid serious airborne illness. Don't think you're arguing this at all, but your friend is not to blame for getting infected because they screwed up masking essentially inside their own home. That is squarely on failed political leadership and capital.

Sometimes I think the general public itself shares some blame for not demanding action from leaders and allowing itself to get manipulated into accepting profoundly dangerous conditions. Feel this is blaming the victim, it's just frustrating to see people getting tricked into ignoring germ theory and basic instincts for self preservation as they're pressed into accepting all this as normal.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
or like the latest covid fan-fiction in The Bad Thread of “no the current deaths are all delta. alllll 100% delta.”
“can I see the data that justifies that?”
“no.”

just feeding any posters dumb enough to believe them into the meatgrinder, for the lulz.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how even with 3-4k you know the media is going to continue to push the "Suck + gently caress" paradise narrative.

People need to get back into normal life!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I had Covid.

I healed up.

like my chest kind of hurts, still can’t get a full lung of air, some infrequent lil pangs.

overall it unironically seems like “mild” persistent symptoms but definitely worse than being healthy.

i was otherwise healthy: not overweight, did cardio, clean diet, no smoking or drinking, etc

At least, some kinds of respiratory therapy did help some people that had the lung symptoms afaik. Not completely, and not for any other likely symptoms, though. They're still working out how to dissolve covid microclots, so if those are causing your problems and blood thinners don't improve them you're SOL until they find something

Apr 7, 2003

hospitalists work 16+ hour shifts as a matter of course, during the initial covid surge they were working for days at a time and sleeping in offices and poo poo, no one actually caring for patients when this poo poo first hit would have had the time to sit down and write Grey's Anatomy scripts about their workday in the evening.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
He's a former doctor turned hospital admin!

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oh theres definitely some degree of fiction lol. he’s a very weird, self-absorbed dude and those god-awfully written narratives were definitely partly or wholly fiction.

my other fav post to lol at is, “how DARE cspam besmirch a DOCTOR. the depths of their depravity!!!”

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

zone posted:

At least, some kinds of respiratory therapy did help some people that had the lung symptoms afaik. Not completely, and not for any other likely symptoms, though. They're still working out how to dissolve covid microclots, so if those are causing your problems and blood thinners don't improve them you're SOL until they find something

that’s a good piece of info

my concern was that I’d show up to my pcp and they’d just be like “yeah poo poo sucks we can’t do anything, thanks for venturing into this Covid pit to pay me money”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

hospitalists work 16+ hour shifts as a matter of course, during the initial covid surge they were working for days at a time and sleeping in offices and poo poo, no one actually caring for patients when this poo poo first hit would have had the time to sit down and write Grey's Anatomy scripts about their workday in the evening.

I went on a hinge honey video date with a hospitalist and was pretty horrifying finding out her 16+ hr day work schedule.

I've done 12 hr shifts but even a few days of that on night shift was pretty much killer for me.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Louisgod posted:

conservatives: if you love communism so much maybe you should move to china!
also conservatives:

https://twitter.com/lindyqb5/status/1488824238177988608?s=20&t=9EjP4vz1_loWgp0ZhdWs6Q

once you factor in the usual occupations of these people it's really funny to imagine their perfect red state economy where the only jobs are cop, finance, real estate agent, and landlord.

sprinkle in some fake doctors (dentists, chiropractors, fitness trainers) for fun. i'm sure they can cure the brave nomads' gaping wounds and rotating plagues.

Durf fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2022

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Imagine losing your sense of smell for 9 months in exchange for 4.5k £. Very cool. Very ethical.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 2, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

McCracAttack posted:

There goes crazy ol' euphronius. It's awful what two years without all you can eat appetizers and bottomless margaritas can do to a person.

I haven’t had good wings for TWO YEARS

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Forseti posted:

Just gonna go walk down the street firing a gun in random directions. Anyone who doesn't want to get dead is free to wear a bullet proof vest! I gotta live my life, ya know?

no they have laws against wearing bullet proof vests
just like they do with masks lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I had Covid.

I healed up.

do you have cats ???

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fosborb posted:

syndemic of covid and cancel culture

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

hospitalists work 16+ hour shifts as a matter of course

maybe a small percentage do but that's certainly not the norm for attending physicians. Also he's not a hospitalist but a family medicine PCP, and he was in residency at the time.

It's very unlikely to me that he faked it, he "talks the talk" and hasn't slipped up that I can recall. As Dr Ghandi et al have demonstrated plenty of docs are dumb outside their field of expertise (and often within it too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

that’s a good piece of info

my concern was that I’d show up to my pcp and they’d just be like “yeah poo poo sucks we can’t do anything, thanks for venturing into this Covid pit to pay me money”

they'll refer you to a pulmonologist where they'll perform some lung function tests and give you some asthma meds.