Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

lobster shirt posted:

one of the funniest example of car brain is someone on reddit posting in some history-related subreddit: where did the romans park all their chariots and carts? just inconceivable that people might walk lol

everyone just carting around ancient rome, honking at plebs to gtfo the way in the forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polo-Rican posted:

are you implying that this isn't what the cultural center of a town should look like

Dead malls are at least kinda interesting. These things are wretched and outnumber them 1000 to one

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Lastgirl posted:

everyone just carting around ancient rome, honking at plebs to gtfo the way in the forum
Not sure how accurate this is, but I've seen somewhere that ancient Rome banned chariots on the city's streets except for the last two daylight hours.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dead malls are at least kinda interesting. These things are wretched and outnumber them 1000 to one

Another weird thing to me is how they make these sprawled out shopping areas that are a cluster of big box stores, each with their own parking lot. There's one in Yuma, AZ and I can't figure out why it's not an regular shopping mall. You'd think that when it gets 120*F you'd want to be inside walking from store to store instead of constantly going in and out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mystes posted:

The problem is that in the US we've gotten ourselves stuck so far in an incredibly bad local maximum where everything is completely oriented around cars that it's impossible for people to even imagine the alternative, and whenever there's a problem the solution is always to buy bigger cars and try to make thing even more completely oriented around cars.

People can't even understand that it would be nicer to be able to walk across the street to pick up one or two items whenever they need them rather than having to drive 30 minutes each way to the supermarket.

We can't make things better for walking/biking because everyone drives, so driving is the only serious mode of transportation, because we've made everything suck for walking/biking.

imo nothing will change until the fossil fuel economy fully collapses, preferably in a very sudden way

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

mystes posted:

The problem is that in the US we've gotten ourselves stuck so far in an incredibly bad local maximum where everything is completely oriented around cars that it's impossible for people to even imagine the alternative, and whenever there's a problem the solution is always to buy bigger cars and try to make thing even more completely oriented around cars.

People can't even understand that it would be nicer to be able to walk across the street to pick up one or two items whenever they need them rather than having to drive 30 minutes each way to the supermarket.

We need them to realize that a big part of what they love about vacation is not being car dependent. It's been said before, but college plants the seed in a lot of peoples' minds. But these experiences stay compartmentalized because no one can imagine anything better for their home communities.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lastgirl posted:

Rome as an anomaly (why are there 2 a's in anomaly?) in the empire because that city grew organically. The typical Roman city was very orderly with a main thoroughfare for carts and wagons. Pompeii is an example, the side walks were elevated from the cart tracks to allow you to walk without stepping in all the sewage.

you can see the spaces for wagon wheels on the little bridges crossing the road in this photo:

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Feb 2, 2022

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

imo nothing will change until the fossil fuel economy fully collapses, preferably in a very sudden way

Don’t worry they are going to be pushing electric cars no matter what, car culture is going no where.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nomad2020 posted:

Water bottles have been declared weapons by my local police, so this checks out.

yeah ive literally had a cop try to break my left knee several times because someone somewhere out of my frame of view allegedly threw a water bottle (i didn’t see the bottle myself)

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

yeah it's very funny that people spend tens of thousands of dollars buying vehicles with functions they don't need or hardly ever need (like towing or massive cargo space) when it would be far cheaper to just have a small car as your daily driver and just rent a truck when you need it.

well of course it would be best if they didnt need to own a car at all but as it stands people get way more vehicle than they need. people have tried to talk me into getting a big van or suv because i have a kid now, like... the car seat fits just fine in my car thanks.

Yeah but sometimes people ask to borrow my truck so everyone needs to own a truck actually

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PeterCat posted:

Another weird thing to me is how they make these sprawled out shopping areas that are a cluster of big box stores, each with their own parking lot. There's one in Yuma, AZ and I can't figure out why it's not an regular shopping mall. You'd think that when it gets 120*F you'd want to be inside walking from store to store instead of constantly going in and out.

found your problem

mystes
May 31, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

This is not going to happen

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
You are suppose to be circling the parking lot for 10-15 minutes until a spot opens up that is both close to the entrance and will fit your pick up/SUV.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Not sure how accurate this is, but I've seen somewhere that ancient Rome banned chariots on the city's streets except for the last two daylight hours.

they had a lot of things ordered around superstition and tradition, such as forbidding swords to cross the pomerium so im sure there were some regulations to where carts went, but no super lot and horn honking with cart traffic jams

PeterCat posted:

Rome as an anomaly (why are there 2 a's in anomaly?) in the empire because that city grew organically. The typical Roman city was very orderly with a main thoroughfare for carts and wagons. Pompeii is an example, the side walks were elevated from the cart tracks to allow you to walk without stepping in all the sewage.

you can see the spaces for wagon wheels on the little bridges crossing the road in this photo:

ya im sure there are niche examples for throughfares, urban design really proliferated as a thing under the romans after the greek polis

i just think its funny to think someone who was born in a world with only cars, so carbrained, thinking that roman history was full of horse traffic jams and new yorker accented romans screaming that they're walking over here.

work with the material here~

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

thinking that roman history was full of horse traffic jams and new yorker accented romans screaming that they're walking over here.
Someone should do a tv show set in ancient rome like this rather than the usual british accents

Edit: actually just do curb your enthusiasm but in ancient rome

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

someone posted a video of themselves cycling to the grocery store in germany in the fuckcars subreddit and it immediately drew out all the most carbrained defenses of living in a lovely suburban sprawl. i particularly like all the people who are like "who goes to the store every day" or "what if i need to buy three couches and a dozen watermelons"

people are broken

see I always have the same thought when I see this, that that bike would be a huge theft target, especially since it appears to be electric

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

he had the gun out before he heard the bang, watch the video. he was prepared to shoot that guy from the moment he brake checked him

And he was leaning back in his seat just waiting for the other driver to come alongside so he can get a good shot, and then continued firing to his front, indicating the other driver was fleeing, which is a big no-no in any "self defense" situation not involving someone with a badge.

withak posted:

If I ever need to murder someone I am going to do it in broad daylight at an intersection with my car then immediately turn myself in and act sad about it. I expect to be home in time for dinner.

It's a freebie, you probably don't even have to turn yourself in. As long as you wasted someone that wasn't sympathetic and there weren't any cameras, you're home free. If it's someone on a bike, you can even steal the bike and nobody will care, double freebie.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

mystes posted:

We can't make things better for walking/biking because everyone drives, so driving is the only serious mode of transportation, because we've made everything suck for walking/biking.

It's like my dad's family, where all of life consists of driving to places where you can Engage in Consumerism, and there's just nothing in that mindset to suggest any kind of alternative. "going out" means driving to a store or restaurant, and nothing else.

PeterCat posted:

my hometown gets insanely hot but same, we built all these absurd asphalt-dominated shopping complexes that are a nightmare to navigate on foot even in hospitable weather:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shopping center design in the southwest seems to assume you will get back into your car and drive between stores in the same gigantic parking lot :d2a:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Clark Nova posted:

shopping center design in the southwest seems to assume you will get back into your car and drive between stores in the same gigantic parking lot :d2a:

normal country in normal times

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
which you typically do because it's 110 loving degrees outside and the asphalt is getting squishy

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

making mental images of every car that's ever been poo poo on by a bird, meticulously developing an extensive catalogue in my mind palace, and silently celebrating a victory for each

i also have libraries of cars being keyed by angry ex's but that's a separate directory of course~ :chord:

mega murder putting in work in my neighborhood

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's like my dad's family, where all of life consists of driving to places where you can Engage in Consumerism, and there's just nothing in that mindset to suggest any kind of alternative. "going out" means driving to a store or restaurant, and nothing else.

my hometown gets insanely hot but same, we built all these absurd asphalt-dominated shopping complexes that are a nightmare to navigate on foot even in hospitable weather:

It's depressing, these aren't places to live in. I feel like they should put those glyphs to warn future people of radiation on the entrances to these places.

"This is not a place of honor."

I mean, this is what we do with our cities and land. Make a huge parking lot for a big box store so we can buy poorly made cheap crap. When my 90 year old grandma was a teenager living on a farm in the midwest, she said she's walk a mile or two to town, hope the train to Sioux City. Do her shopping in the downtown area near the train station, take the train back to the town, then walk home.

People today wouldn't know how to process such an idea.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

PeterCat posted:

It's depressing, these aren't places to live in. I feel like they should put those glyphs to warn future people of radiation on the entrances to these places.

"This is not a place of honor."

I mean, this is what we do with our cities and land. Make a huge parking lot for a big box store so we can buy poorly made cheap crap. When my 90 year old grandma was a teenager living on a farm in the midwest, she said she's walk a mile or two to town, hope the train to Sioux City. Do her shopping in the downtown area near the train station, take the train back to the town, then walk home.

People today wouldn't know how to process such an idea.

idk why but it finally clicked for me the other day that the reason Americans express distance as a measure of time (ie "it's about two hours away") is because the method of transportation is always assumed to be car. if you are traveling anywhere, it is assumed you will be traveling there the same way everyone else will - by car.

BECAUSE WHY WALK WHEN IT'S JUST A FIVE MINUTE DRIVE, JUST TAKE FIVE MINUTES AND POP DOWN THERE AND A QUICK FIVE MINUTES BACK

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those poor trees

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Clark Nova posted:

this is everywhere not just the southwest! if you parked in front of this staples, walking to the dollar tree in the background and back would take a long-rear end time

the only reason to build these in a straight line is to make the storefronts all equally visible to cars driving by, but then your "shopping center" becomes unusable to actual shoppers

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
yeah i imagine a big part of the impetus for these kinds of stores was that they basically function as huge billboards. going to a mall means parking and then walking around the mall looking for the store you want. big parking lot store place good because see sign and drive to for buy!!!

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

Don’t worry they are going to be pushing electric cars no matter what, car culture is going no where.
once the oil is gone widespread car use is not going to be possible because we literally cannot support the infrastructure necessary to allow everyone to have a car without oil

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dolphin posted:

once the oil is gone widespread car use is not going to be possible because we literally cannot support the infrastructure necessary to allow everyone to have a car without oil

We're gonna try. Might have to go to war though

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
The impacts of oil are going to destroy us long before we get a chance to extract the last of it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Dolphin posted:

Isn't the issue we're going to run out of climate before we run out of oil?

Amounts to the same basic problem though. Electric cars aren't a solution.

edit: ^^^^ what that guy said

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Cat Puke posted:

The impacts of oil are going to destroy us long before we get a chance to extract the last of it.

why the gently caress is there so much oil anyways? how many "fossils" are there making all this "fossil fuel?" i refuse to believe this much poo poo has died... doesn't make any sense

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Polo-Rican posted:

why the gently caress is there so much oil anyways? how many "fossils" are there making all this "fossil fuel?" i refuse to believe this much poo poo has died... doesn't make any sense

Diatoms and plankton, as well as terrestrial plant matter that didn't get eaten by decayers, because there was a time on Earth where organisms that break down dead plants hadn't evolved yet. These get buried overs the eons and you have oil.

Of course you can't do this again on any time scale, because lignin and cellulose have plenty of things around to eat it now.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
phytoplankton and poo poo grows really fast and has grown nonstop for a really really long time

or yeah, what they said

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

actionjackson posted:

see I always have the same thought when I see this, that that bike would be a huge theft target, especially since it appears to be electric

Europe isn't a utopia but many countries there do relatively more to prevent people falling into abject desperation than the USA and so there is less of a culture of guarding your possessions at all costs as a result

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Dolphin posted:

phytoplankton and poo poo grows really fast and has grown nonstop for a really really long time

someone needs to invent a time machine and shoot Baby Plankton before all of this comes to pass

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nocturtle posted:

Isn't the issue we're going to run out of climate before we run out of oil?

Amounts to the same basic problem though. Electric cars aren't a solution.

edit: ^^^^ what that guy said
i mean yeah, that's one of the reasons electric cars don't fix a goddamn thing, you still need the roads and parking lots and infinitely stretched out suburbs and whatever

if you mention this online you'll get people telling you you're a moron and electric cars actually solve everything because global warming is only caused by honda accords

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Nocturtle posted:

Truly hate cars and have gone most of my adult life without owning or needing one. Currently planning a move from an awesome downtown apartment out to some blighted car dependent suburb, with the mandatory hateful car purchase, because US society decided to let a dangerous airborne virus spread out of control. Good news though, there's nowhere to go anymore so won't need to drive much.

Anyway have been looking at Zillow for a few days and car dependent development is just so irredeemably ugly. Even worse when you can infer from the surroundings all the perfectly good nature that was replaced with asphalt and squat houses.

edit: the point of this post is that I hate cars and society making me get a car

this is suicidal ideation and a cry for help.

there's as much (or more) death and disease in the suburbs because it turns out toxic individualism is strongly correlated with refusal to wear a mask.

build a corsi cube and save your short-and-long-term health.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

idk why but it finally clicked for me the other day that the reason Americans express distance as a measure of time (ie "it's about two hours away") is because the method of transportation is always assumed to be car. if you are traveling anywhere, it is assumed you will be traveling there the same way everyone else will - by car.

BECAUSE WHY WALK WHEN IT'S JUST A FIVE MINUTE DRIVE, JUST TAKE FIVE MINUTES AND POP DOWN THERE AND A QUICK FIVE MINUTES BACK

I see you’ve stumbled upon the freedom argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Harik posted:

this is suicidal ideation and a cry for help.

there's as much (or more) death and disease in the suburbs because it turns out toxic individualism is strongly correlated with refusal to wear a mask.

build a corsi cube and save your short-and-long-term health.

Patient refused treatment