Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'm confused, peak oil (including shale from fracking) as already hit? I mean the oil companies are still making plenty of profit right? presumably they are making more than they are spending to extract it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

I'm confused, peak oil (including shale from fracking) as already hit? I mean the oil companies are still making plenty of profit right? presumably they are making more than they are spending to extract it.

government subsidy obfuscates everything

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-60220661

quote:

Climate change: UK plants now flowering a month earlier

Climate change is causing UK plants to flower almost a month earlier on average, according to a study.

Just as autumn leaf fall is being delayed by warmer weather, flowers are appearing earlier on trees and shrubs.

But while some might welcome these untimely blooms, scientists are warning of the risks.

They say if the trend continues, there are knock-on effects for birds, insects and whole ecosystems.

Ecological mismatch may kick in, which would have a dramatic effect "on the functioning and productivity" of nature and farming, said lead researcher, Prof Ulf Buntgen of the University of Cambridge.
Oi mate, got to get in me buds 'fore these other wankers, yeah? Roast me cockles lads, it's a sunny fockin feb so sod it, flowers out and about. Twats on a lorry. Lasses come round to smell em mate.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

actionjackson posted:

yes. it also doesn't preclude them making more profit than before, all peak oil was concerned with was total oil production for an area (originally texas oil fields and us oil fields, later the earth)

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

T-Paine posted:

Oi mate, got to get in me buds 'fore these other wankers, yeah? Roast me cockles lads, it's a sunny fockin feb so sod it, flowers out and about. Twats on a lorry. Lasses come round to smell em mate.

There are daffodils blooming in sac right now lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

T-Paine posted:

should really enjoy it before the amoc goes and britain becomes the literal embodiment of margaret thatcher: a cold, arid waste

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
remember when those UK pigs gunned down a golden stag?? idky it just crossed my mind

e; wrong? thread? sorta??

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Protagonist posted:

remember when those UK pigs gunned down a golden stag?? idky it just crossed my mind

e; wrong? thread? sorta??

September, 2021. A white (leucistic) stag was gunned down in Merseyside.

The pagans have made the most noise cause I guess Christians forgot the white stag is a symbol of Jesus.
Edit: Only for Catholics I think.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Feb 2, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

yes and no. a lot of it is financial wizardry on the part of the government and it's spooky apparatchiks to make it 'profitable' (for shareholders) but as a whole. this includes a whole lot of deregulation, not going after violations, not inspecting and requiring maintenance and rehab, this includes letting them just destroy the gently caress and dump byproducts and spills and let public clean it up, this includes extremely loose over-leveraged funding and 0% fed interest rates, this includes couping and telling latin america to gently caress off if they don't provide exploitable land, this includes pressuring opec to produce more instead of less-but-higher-prices, this includes automotive incentives and destruction of transit to get people to be more addicted to oil, and really going back again to just semi-unregulated and loose financial magic to keep the oil flowing as cheaply as possible

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The declining EROI of traditional fossil fuel energy sources and the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
the effect of that on the world economy are likely to result in a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
a myriad of consequences, most of which will not be perceived as good.
most of which will not be perceived as good.
will not be perceived as good.
perceived as good.
good.

Beautiful.

i like that the ending is about as close to "lol we're hosed" as you can have in a scientific paper:

quote:

If any resolution to these problems is possible it is probable that it would have to come at least as much from an adjustment of society's aspirations for increased material affluence and an increase in willingness to share as from technology. Unfortunately recent political events do not leave us with great optimism that such changes in societal values will be forthcoming.

e: i just realized this was published in 2014; that's even funnier

Deep Dish Fuckfest has issued a correction as of 19:05 on Feb 2, 2022

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i was shoveling snow and a mosquito came out. It's so loving warm there's already mosquitos in February. I have to shovel this poo poo because even though there's meltoff lakes forming everywhere and flooding the streets it's supposed to drop down to subzero again and freeze into a glacier that'll prob take until august to melt.

Malaria'll be coming back bigly, i bet. All this runoff is absolutely insanely polluted too, it reeks.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

The pagans have made the most noise cause I guess Christians forgot the white stag is a symbol of Jesus.

extraordinarily cursed af, UK is surely doomed. That whole "Lifeboat Britian" or whatever that insane climate change political policy is called -- it's going to doom them to sink into the sea.

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Lordshmee posted:

Rest assured, when there are live firefights in the streets as a matter of course we will still have to go to motherfucking work!

goons already did that

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

pissinthewind posted:

goons already did that

YAHTZEE

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

we're off the peak of US production, but it got all hosed up in 2020 when storage maxed out, prices went negative, and wells had to be shut down. conventional production peaked decades ago, right on time, and we're in the amphetamines phase now with fracking.

the current story is that oil companies are running relatively low on reserves (on a decade+ timeframe) and are underinvesting in exploration and development at the behest of investors, who want to maximize their immediate profits by keeping prices high and not increasing production. the trick is going to be keeping prices high enough to pay out maximum dividends while not tanking demand.

the other trick is apparently big-dicking russia out of fully cornering the euro natural gas market. natural gas use is climbing fast, and it's expected to overtake coal and eventually oil in the next 20 years or so.

it's such a loving crack ping thinking about all these fuckheads still plotting their business-as-usual great-game fossil-fuel world domination on a hundred-year-plus timeline. jesus christ. this is all so stupid. none a this matters.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i like that the ending is about as close to "lol we're hosed" as you can have in a scientific paper:

e: i just realized this was published in 2014; that's even funnier

lmaooo

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

...you fuckin' those fish?

They aren't gonna gently caress themselves!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hubbert posted:

don't worry everyone, i've had top goon minds over the years reassure me that peak oil isn't real, so don't worry about it :)

if you're some kind of demented doombrain, however, this is a good article abstract that gets right at the crux of the issue. this also ties into my earlier post / image on how economies actually work.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I believe that C.S. Lewis uses the white stag as a stand in for Christ at some point. The protestants don't have an excuse either.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:shobon:

It's still a topic very near and dear to my heart, and was effectively my gateway into energy, ecology and the collapse of complex societies ... 15 years ago.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

mawarannahr posted:

I can’t sleep bc I’m staring at the ceiling thinking about a river as acidic as grapefruit juice or vinegar

why stop there, make it flowing muriatic acid and then I can use it as a (terribly toxic) agent in a/b extractions of endangered rootbark that contains DMT

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

isn't this the plot of princess mononoke

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

actionjackson posted:

I will repeat this point: The "Shale Boom" :airquote: of the The U.S. shale industry has lost nearly a trillion dollars in the past decade producing oil and selling it for less than it cost to produce.

This was possible because despite the losses, investors kept giving the industry money. But now private investors appear to have grown tired of losing money on U.S. shale companies and new lending to the industry has dropped dramatically - queue the US Government desperately expanding direct subsidies and drilling licenses to maintain order and control.

quote:

The U.S. shale industry registered net negative free cash flows of $300 billion, impaired more than $450 billion of invested capital, and saw more than 190 bankruptcies since 2010.

Deloitte Shale Industry Report: 2021

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
What a top line headline on that report

:allbuttons:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloomberg wants to darken the skies now too.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Which genius gets credit for that grift?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Ronald (six)

Wilson (six)

Reagan (six)

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

:shobon:

It's still a topic very near and dear to my heart, and was effectively my gateway into energy, ecology and the collapse of complex societies ... 15 years ago.

Lol. You're not actually Hubbert are you?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Lol. You're not actually Hubbert are you?

Hubbert is dead, and everyone in this thread is dead and posting in hell, so clearly he is.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Basic Poster posted:

What a top line headline on that report

:allbuttons:

"Profit," "earnings," "revenue," etc. those are all words of the old orthodoxy. You don't need any of that poo poo anymore.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
this is almost a decade old but is a really good summary of EROEI doom:

https://www.tullettprebon.com/Documents/strategyinsights/TPSI_009_Perfect_Storm_009.pdf

part five specifically, from page 59

in summary

quote:

Where the surplus energy equation is concerned, one question remains – how will we know when the decline sets in?

The following are amongst the most obvious decline-markers:

- Energy price escalation. The inflation-adjusted market prices of energy (and, most importantly, of oil) move up sharply, albeit in a zig-zag fashion as price escalation chokes off economic growth and imposes short-term reverses in demand.

- Agricultural stress. This will be most obvious in more frequent spikes in food prices, combined with food shortfalls in the poorest countries.

- Energy sprawl. Investment in the energy infrastructure will absorb a steadily-rising proportion of global capital investment.

- Economic stagnation. As the decline in EROEIs accelerates, the world economy can be expected to become increasingly sluggish, and to fail to recover from setbacks as robustly as it has in the past.

- Inflation. A squeezed energy surplus can be expected to combine with an over-extended monetary economy to create escalating inflation.

With the exception (thus far) of inflation, each of these features has become firmly established in recent years, which suggests that the energy surplus economy has already reached its tipping-point.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^^^yes and no. there’s plenty of other sources of energy if we get desperate enough (nuclear!! we should all be using nuclear!!!) the issue is more of a problem of energy liquidity. a nuclear power plant can’t keep the US car fleet running without massive investment for in both electric cars and a totally new power grid. however, if you have a plentiful supply of other energy (coal, wind, whatever) you can transform it into compact, easy to transport oil at a loss.

Femur posted:

Which genius gets credit for that grift?

barack obama bailing out Wall Street with infinite low to zero percent interest loans! it made all sorts of risky investments seem workable.

in theory, the US could sustain increasingly poor shale oil output for a very long time. as long as we have a big enough supply of cash and another source of energy, since the oil alone would be a net loss. unless the US spends the time, money, and resources necessary to transition away from fossil fuels (and there’s no reason to believe we’ll start now), we could see some truly goofy poo poo like using wind/solar/nuclear/coal for the energy inputs to keep pumping up more shale oil. the natural gas that’s also prevalent in those same US deposits could also literally be used to supply the energy for more oil extraction, or as an oil substitute for certain purposes. shale production would still be a net cash and energy loss, but nevertheless it would be turning stuff the US government hates (non-fossil fuel energy, money for poor people) into stuff that it loves (sweet sweet oil).

in that sense, policies like the carbon dioxide credits in BBB are just more subsidies for net-negative shale oil. think of it as a gift of a few billion dollars for pumping CO2 underground (temporarily) to keep oil producers pumping. war is also a big win-win for those same ghouls, they could make money on arms sales while the US invades Venezuela or Syria to steal their easier to produce oil reserves. again, it’s just converting other resources (cash, human blood) into more oil.

peak oil is here?
no, more oil!

lobotomy molo has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Feb 3, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and of course when the dipshits in charge buy into that type of oil-forever plan (just, uhhh keep producing shale oil! somehow!) that means a guaranteed quick and violent collapse rather than a gradual transition away from oil. because god forbid those other energy sources have a temporary shortage, or a mismanaged supply chain fucks up, or not enough skilled labor to keep production up.

it’s like Germany trying to synthesize their own oil towards the end of WW2. is it possible? yeah sure. is it a feasible long-term plan? lmao nope

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
spoiler alert: the US is going to burn a shitload of coal

the government can already barely pretend to give a poo poo so when wars break out and famines happen and economies fail they are just going to quit pretending and burn the 350 year supply of coal we have to run everything

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

nomad2020 posted:

It’s funny because this morning I heard 4 clear gunshots, saw a few people running towards me but didn’t break step on my way to the bus stop.

when you see a man running toward you, cock flapping, you run with that man!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Rectal Death Adept posted:

spoiler alert: the US is going to burn a shitload of coal

the government can already barely pretend to give a poo poo so when wars break out and famines happen and economies fail they are just going to quit pretending and burn the 350 year supply of coal we have to run everything

i was gonna joke that they'll use some of that coal to power carbon capture plants to make up for it, but on second thought we live in a world that's stupid enough that i could see them doing it as pr and have it accepted by a good chunk of people who vote democrat

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I assume some company will pay billions to rebrand their "formula" into something else that isn't associated with coal.

The new Blue Obsidian burns twice as clean as Green Obsidian. Brought you by peabody.

Most democrats will nod sagely. Burning twice as clean is better than before!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I assume some company will pay billions to rebrand their "formula" into something else that isn't associated with coal.

The new Blue Obsidian burns twice as clean as Green Obsidian. Brought you by peabody.

Most democrats will nod sagely. Burning twice as clean is better than before!

black rocks

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

vanguard the place that invented mutual funds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

vanguard the place that invented mutual funds?
vanguard didn't invent mfs, they 'invented' (or rather, popularized) passive investing. that is, passive etfs/mfs that just buy a basket of stocks at some fixed % of their market cap (and/or 'field' i.e. vht) and puts money into each one. so there's no 'management' because it's algorithmic. i.e. we'll just allocate porportionally-equal money into every stock into the S&P 500 at whatever % they're listed as.

literally like most of american's retirement funds (if they have one lol) are all now in vanguard etfs/mfs because they have almost zero-percent expense ratio and perform better than a bunch of harvard ivy league mba dipshits running a managed fund promising 5000% returns to grannys by 'predicting the market'. to actively say 'we're going to exclude x stock' isn't their thing because it's not based on "smart guy MBA picks". ands since it's also the biggest brokerage now, it of course has the most money into everything. that really doesn't say much.

also to say it's an investor is wrong, it's not an actual investor. americans are the investors in this case, they're just routed through mfs that own a basket of equities/bonds into everything. blame americans, americans are fat and bad and stupid

Xaris has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Feb 3, 2022