Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Pull the tail off. Peel off one or two segments of tail carapace from the big side. Pinch the small end. Pull or suck out the meat. Should take you 5 seconds tops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
This is my way:

1) Twist the tail off between the first and second joint (rather than the base)
2) Pinch down hard on the very tip of the meaty section of the tail
3) Bite and pull

If the meat consistently tears in step 1 I will do it Phil's way because it's a little more tolerant of overcooked meat. If it's really overcooked though you will have problems regardless of technique. Unfortunately that's really common.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

IT'S CRAWDAD SEASON YALL :getin:

News has been reporting that crawfish are gonna be plentiful and relatively cheap this year compared to years past. I'm thinking about picking up a whole bunch throughout the season either to make stuff with or eat by themselves as part of a high-protein meal.

Since I don't normally buy crawfish live, I'm wondering about how many lbs of meat do you normally get per lb of crawfish?

Also what's considered a good price for live crawfish in the gulf states? I went to a place earlier today that told me they'd just sold 20 lbs to someone for like $3.50 or $3.99 a lb; I didn't get a price on any smaller amounts but I'm guessing something like 3 to 5 lbs might only be around $2 or $3 higher than that.

**DESIRE TO BE IN LOUISIANA INTENSIFYING**

I got a bunch of live crawfish shipped to Missouri a few years ago and had a grand ol time. Cost a boatload but worth it. How long does crawfish season run?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

User Error posted:

I got a bunch of live crawfish shipped to Missouri a few years ago and had a grand ol time. Cost a boatload but worth it. How long does crawfish season run?

Generally speaking, beginning of/early February through late April/early May. That's in Houston, anyway, you can get them live outside of that season but they're generally small/expensive.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

User Error posted:

We have them here, just grab a bucket and head to your local riverbank :chef:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Any particular pastalaya recipe you guys like?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

The_Doctor posted:

Any particular pastalaya recipe you guys like?

I would love this too.

Anyone got a good gumbo z'herbes recipe?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need to make gumbo. I just found a place in town that'll sell me head-on shrimp.

Speaking of which, remind me again if I can make stock using already-boiled crawfish shells? I got like 2 lbs of shells from when I ate whole crawfish at a restaurant the other day cuz I wasn't sure if I could still use 'em for something or not.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm not sure I would make shellfish stock (or shellfish anything) out of something from "the other day." That poo poo goes south fast.

The worst food poisoning I ever had was some crawfish my brother brought home from a boil. Same day. That's a mistake you only make once. Ever send vomit flying clear across a room?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
I've successfully made crawfish stock out of shells I froze a few hours past boiling time but yeah, I would be wary/careful.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

They've been sitting in my freezer for several weeks, but I think they spent a grand total of about 3 hours out of the boiler before they went in there.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

MAN’S SAUCE COMING SOON

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I. M. Gei posted:

They've been sitting in my freezer for several weeks, but I think they spent a grand total of about 3 hours out of the boiler before they went in there.

Yeah I would have no problem with making stock out of those guys.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

MAN’S SAUCE COMING SOON

Subtle, they are not. :shobon:

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Ragin' Cajun in Houston has disappointing crawfish (did Adam Ragusa make a video about seasoning your crawfish but not your boil?) but their in-house hot sauce is pretty good. It's got strong black pepper notes which is neat.

Only tangentially thread related because it's not very "Cajun" and is made in Texas, but the alligator dick brought it to mind. :justpost:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

MAN’S SAUCE COMING SOON

I just noticed "Pecker Power" is spelled with condoms

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It’s coming on your table too, not to it.

I’ve made stock with crawfish shells and heads plenty of times, but I always either use them the day of or freeze them immediately. It works just fine, makes a pretty potent brew that’s excellent for seafood gumbo or crawfish étouffée.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I’m gonna be in New Orleans this March for a couple days. What are folks absolute must have recs? Both for food and tourism?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

For food, I think you can’t go wrong with Pêche, Cochon, or Paladar. If you’re venturing away from downtown, try a po boy at Parkway Tavern and if you’re here the weekend of the 26th, go to the fairgrounds for the Louisiana Derby.

For a great breakfast I always liked Elizabeth’s but I haven’t been since before COVID. Best beer is at Courtyard Brewery, but Zony Mash is also good and fun for music. Touristy stuff I would say check out the WWII museum, walk down Royal Street in the quarter for the shopping and galleries and a generally more interesting vibe than Bourbon Street. Get drinks at the Napoleon House, the Carousel Bar at the Monteleone, and Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop. Watch some music at Fritzel’s or the Spotted Cat. Don’t get too drunk and use common sense when out at night. If you can ride the streetcar uptown, take a walk in Audubon Park or the Fly by the river and the zoo, and have a beer at Cooter Brown’s. If the weather’s nice, check out the Garden District—they do tours of the neighborhood’s really cool mansions.

And keeping in tune with the thread as of late you should be able to get some good boiled crawfish at any of a few spots. Bevi is a good one and so is Clesi’s if they’re open.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 22, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I just remembered Bacchanal too—very cool outdoor spot to watch music and drink wine if the weather is decent.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The Avenue is also great, a really charming place to try an insane beer selection and sit on the rooftop balcony in the afternoon and watch St. Charles.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'vee been gone too long to be much good on dining recommendations. I was going to say you should get a muffaletta from Central Grocery, but they're closed for repairs. Get a Parkway Tavern poboy if you've never had a proper one (or if you really like poboys).

Catch a show at Preservation Hall.

For museums, check out the Cabildo, the Historic New Orleans Collection, the Ogden, and the National WWII Museum. Not sure about visiting Mardi Gras world this time of year.

The zoo and aquarium are both pretty great, if you're into that kind of thing. Maybe it's just nostalgia from all the times I visited them growing up, but I've visited much "bigger name" zoos/aquariums and been less impressed. Both have lots of local wildlife.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Hello springtime, look forward to enjoying you for the next two weeks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I should not read this thread (or this subforum) when I am hungry at 3 AM.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I found this in a cupboard at home, which I forgot I bought a few months ago, so that’ll be fun to try.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Post a trip report. I haven't seen one of those in years, kinda curious to see how it stacks up to a standard jambalaya.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I should not read this thread (or this subforum) when I am hungry at 3 AM.
I basically keep a bankroll of threads here for when my lunch is nourishing but a bit plain. The dinner thread is obviously king but you can't go too wrong.

The Gunge
Aug 20, 2011
We did a little Up North Mardi Gras with my folks a few weeks ago. My gf and I usually try to get back to Louisiana around this time to get together with college friends but traveling across the country is still not happening for us for a while. So we made do! Which as I understand it is kind of the whole thing with cajun cooking.

Here's what we had:
- Fried shrimp poboys - I fried the shrimp, she made the bread the day before. It was my first time frying shrimp and I was real happy with how they came out. it was kind of a last minute decision to make the bread but that came out great too. Nothing like a well composed sandwich

- Fried okra - kind of a last minute thing too. saw they had fresh okra at the asian market and figured we'd be frying poo poo anyway so what the hell, why not. Not bad, fried it in just cornmeal and Tony's. Probably would do bigger chunks next time since they came out kind of dry.

-Crawfish - tried to do a version of crawfish boil staples but this honestly didn't work. You mostly can only get pre-boiled, pre-seasoned frozen whole crawfish (or just frozen tails) where I am in New England. Also you can't get boil. So we tried to do a homemade boil liquid, cooked the corn, garlic and potatoes in that, then threw the crawfish in at the end to come to temperature basically. They just dont get enough flavor from the boil this way, would not recommend.

- King cake - fuuuuuck yeah. My gf has done this the last few years now and is really good at it, it was fabulous. Only thing was the dough ruptured while baking so the sour cream kind of leeched into the cake rather than being a swirl inside. Still moist and delicious. Also the baby we ordered was way too big lol.

We didn't get great pictures of everything but you can get the gist here:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Dude that’s pretty impressive for living in yankee town!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That's awesome

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Good afternoon friends

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have acquired 5 lbs of shell-on shrimp (without heads sadly but whatever), 1 1/2 lbs of crawfish tail meat, and all other necessary seafood gumbo ingredients.

I will make my roux with butter instead of lard this time around, and possibly add a tablespoon or two of tomato paste to see if it zests up the flavor.

Normally I use Fuckabees's ratio of flour to fat (2:1.5) to make gumbo roux, although I'm thinking about trying equal amounts of both this time around. Is this a bad idea?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I do mine 1:1 and like how it turns out

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

1:1 is literally textbook, i think

you can go way more unbalanced and still have fine results, 2:1 flour:fat has given me some perfectly good gumbos

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 28, 2022

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Might want to clarify if you're talking about 1:1 by weight or by volume. Flour has a density of about 0.77 g/ml and oil/butter has a density of about 0.92 g/ml so measuring by weight or volume do result in appreciably different ratios, though they're close enough to cause confusion. I usually go by weight, as I try to do for as many recipes as possible

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm going by volume, so 2 cups of each.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Butter is gonna burn bro

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Also how much stock are you using? I hope it’s like 10 quarts with that much roux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Good afternoon friends

Hell yeah. Last time I did crawfish they were on ice but started waking up and getting mad/pinchy by the time I was about 3/4 through cleaning and sorting them. Good times.