Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

zuck and gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i would think about purchasing a few acres in the country as a covid retreat, but I know everyone would hate my guts as soon as they saw a mask on my face, so it doesn’t seem worth it

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I had Covid.

I healed up.

I have some linger stuff.

like my chest kind of hurts, still can’t get a full lung of air, some infrequent lil pangs.

overall it unironically seems like “mild” persistent symptoms but definitely worse than being healthy.

should I bother going to a PCP?

i was otherwise healthy: not overweight, did cardio, clean diet, no smoking or drinking, etc

Have been thinking there should be a separate long COVID questions and discussion thread, to avoid saturating this one with what are likely going to be extremely common issues in the near future.

Regarding asking your PCP, my thinking post-infection is to be a big baby and ask about anything that comes up. Tried my best to avoid COVID, paid for the insurance already and the social contract's broken so no reason to be selfless now. Also these urgent care telehealth doctors seem to be living the lucrative WFH life I desperately want, so no guilt about asking them about trivial stuff. Feel differently asking my family doctor though, they're all masked up in the clinic every day.

That said it seems like in many cases there's not much that can easily be done for long term impacts, even in principle. Doesn't hurt to ask if the co-pays not an issue.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

they'll refer you to a pulmonologist where they'll perform some lung function tests and give you some asthma meds.

kk this will be fun

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

maybe a small percentage do but that's certainly not the norm for attending physicians. Also he's not a hospitalist but a family medicine PCP, and he was in residency at the time.

It's very unlikely to me that he faked it, he "talks the talk" and hasn't slipped up that I can recall. As Dr Ghandi et al have demonstrated plenty of docs are dumb outside their field of expertise (and often within it too).

I 100% think he faked it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nocturtle posted:

Have been thinking there should be a separate long COVID questions and discussion thread, to avoid saturating this one with what are likely going to be extremely common issues in the near future.

Regarding asking your PCP, my thinking post-infection is to be a big baby and ask about anything that comes up. Tried my best to avoid COVID, paid for the insurance already and the social contract's broken so no reason to be selfless now. Also these urgent care telehealth doctors seem to be living the lucrative WFH life I desperately want, so no guilt about asking them about trivial stuff. Feel differently asking my family doctor though, they're all masked up in the clinic every day.

That said it seems like in many cases there's not much that can easily be done for long term impacts, even in principle. Doesn't hurt to ask if the co-pays not an issue.

appreciate the perspective

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gio posted:

oh theres definitely some degree of fiction lol. he’s a very weird, self-absorbed dude and those god-awfully written narratives were definitely partly or wholly fiction.

my other fav post to lol at is, “how DARE cspam besmirch a DOCTOR. the depths of their depravity!!!”

the underlying message never changed: “how dare CSPAM question their betters”

also preemptive free Gio

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Durf posted:

once you factor in the usual occupations of these people it's really funny to imagine their perfect red state economy where the only jobs are cop, finance, real estate agent, and landlord.

sprinkle in some fake doctors (dentists, chiropractors, fitness trainers) for fun. i'm sure they can cure the brave nomads' gaping wounds and rotating plagues.

Rona's Gultch

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

maybe a small percentage do but that's certainly not the norm for attending physicians. Also he's not a hospitalist but a family medicine PCP, and he was in residency at the time.

It's very unlikely to me that he faked it, he "talks the talk" and hasn't slipped up that I can recall. As Dr Ghandi et al have demonstrated plenty of docs are dumb outside their field of expertise (and often within it too).

It's just really funny to say he's not a doctor because saying he's not a doctor makes him very mad.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

That's why you reduce your trust circle to people who actually don't give a poo poo about the things that are too risky, so they're not "holding out."

I'm honestly fine with not sitting down at a restaurant anymore. There are restaurants I like so I will if and when it's safe. If that isn't safe to do again, oh well. Being a true caver is probably not sustainable, but there are plenty of people out there who have figured out how to live their lives without risking literal endless exposure. These are the people that the media messaging is really screaming at, because they're out there and choosing to consume less in a way that's actually sustainable.

I miss movie theaters a whole fuckton - so I am going to go, I'm going to rent out a local theater for $100 if I can get enough people I trust to go and justify that cost.

In terms of going out to eat, I will order takeout because im a fattie who eats like a toddler, but I have no need to ever go out to eat again. I don't drink and I have sensory issues that make concerts and loud bars drive me loving batty, but I do miss going over to friends to watch football or wrestling (even if i dont enjoy either - being around people is good sometimes)

Haircuts, curbside grocery pickup, holiday shopping online......all of these things make life easier, but its probably not that simple for a large part of the population.

I also REALLY hate wearing a mask (glasses always fogged up).

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
if you haven't had covid, bug your PCP at your next physical to do a blood panel and lipid profile so you have a baseline to compare major organ function against if you do get covid

Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

It's just really funny to say he's not a doctor because saying he's not a doctor makes him very mad.

He graduated from the prestigious Kelvinator School of Medicine

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

genericnick posted:

Imagine losing your sense of smell for 9 months in exchange for 4.5k £. Very cool. Very ethical.

Well at my job right now I'm liable to get covid for $0 extra and I don't get monoclonals immediately if I start to get really sick

The Art of the Deal

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pillowpants posted:

January was the third deadliest month of COVID in the US.

January 2021: 96,654
December 2020: 80,927
January 2022: 66,220
Feb 2021: 65,786
April 2020: 60,795

i do not understand how the death toll is still officially under 1m if this is what's happening month over month.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Durf posted:

once you factor in the usual occupations of these people it's really funny to imagine their perfect red state economy where the only jobs are cop, finance, real estate agent, and landlord.

sprinkle in some fake doctors (dentists, chiropractors, fitness trainers) for fun. i'm sure they can cure the brave nomads' gaping wounds and rotating plagues.

Rub some ivermectin on it and walk it off, son

Apr 7, 2003

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i do not understand how the death toll is still officially under 1m if this is what's happening month over month.

because they're lying op

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

yeah idk why I'm defending his honor.

My armchair psychologist take: he's a family medicine PCP, the least competitive specialty with the lowest compensation facing the greatest threat from mid-level providers. As a resident, he never got the respect & adulation he expected would come w an MD until covid hit and he had hundreds of goons eating up his every word. For someone who is clearly insecure and a bit of a narcissist (the guy never failed to take the bait when getting trolled and would go to some lengths to prove his superiority over us), it was like a drug.

There have been other physicians posting itt--some real rockstars like emerg med, anaesthesiology, cardiac anes, etc--but they are low key about it and downplay their positions. Draw your own conclusions as to why they don't feel the need to write flowery vignettes about their last shift

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
It's more like 2m now if you include the excess mortalities. Which is the number a friend of mine predicted back in March 2020, and he was roasted mercilessly in our group. oh ah ah ah ah

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm really getting tired of people whining about "cancel culture." 90% of the time it's some ancient comedian complaining that he can't make homophobic/sexist/racist jokes anymore.

Yeah for whatever reason, the entertainers who are mad about cancel culture all made $150 million from 1985-2000 off of jokes where they push their temples back and speak in a fake Asian accent

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Re: alternative alphabets to use once we run out of greek letters, I like the hebrew alphabet and I can definitely see myself dying to Variant Aleph but I'm also pretty sure it would become an antisemitism thing, like, immediately.

Apr 7, 2003

yeah idk why I'm defending his honor.

My armchair psychologist take: he's a family medicine PCP, the least competitive specialty with the lowest compensation facing the greatest threat from mid-level providers. He never got the respect & adulation he expected would come w an MD until covid hit and he had hundreds of goons eating up his every word. For someone who is clearly insecure and a bit of a narcissist (the guy never failed to take the bait when getting trolled and would go to some lengths to prove his superiority over us), it was like a drug.

There have been other physicians posting itt--some real rockstars like emerg med, anaesthesiology, cardiac anes, etc--but they are low key about it and downplay their positions. Draw your own conclusions as to why they don't feel the need to write flowery vignettes about their last shift

I'm 100% convinced that he fabricated every one of those stories because the physicians I know who worked through this told horror stories if they talked about it at all.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Remember when a guy who had a puppet of a dead terrorist that would shout Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad and a jalapeno on a stick was considered one of the biggest names in comedy for like 10 years?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

All the Netflix stand-ups will be "cancelled" instead of "triggered"

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Business Gorillas posted:

Remember when a guy who had a puppet of a dead terrorist that would shout Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad was considered one of the biggest names in comedy for like 10 years?

He still is if you go to Branson MO for whatever reason.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Lacrosse posted:

What good is that gonna do when Omicron immunity is only 3-6 weeks? Monthly boosters?

put it in the water, like fluoride!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Remember when a guy who had a puppet of a dead terrorist that would shout Durka Durka Mohammed Jihad and a jalapeno on a stick was considered one of the biggest names in comedy for like 10 years?

Buddy, I don't even remember Sailor.

Apr 7, 2003

*yachtishly* sailor takes me away

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Clumsy racism like this makes me laugh bc it's so loving stupid. Arabic doesnt sound like durka durka, who tf came up with it

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

gotta be frustrating to be president and not be able to invade/nuke the place that the virus that is absolutely owning your constituents and administration was first discovered

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Joementum posted:

if you haven't had covid, bug your PCP at your next physical to do a blood panel and lipid profile so you have a baseline to compare major organ function against if you do get covid

thank you to my doctor for making me do this annually just to renew a prescription

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
How?!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Found it

quote:

The Dutch government has said it will ease its Covid-19 restrictions, among Europe's toughest, from Wednesday.

Dutch hospitality settings, including bars, restaurants and museums, have been shut since 18 December in a bid to curb the spread of the Omicron variant.

But despite the restrictions, Covid-19 cases have continued to increase, with some 60,000 now recorded per day.

Prime Minister Mark Rutte told a news conference that the country was "taking a risk" in easing the restrictions.

Mr Rutte, who has faced growing calls for a relaxation of restrictions in recent weeks amid falling deaths and admissions to intensive care, added that the new rules will be effective until 8 March.

Cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to open until 10pm, though to gain entry patrons will be required to show a negative test result, prove they are vaccinated or have recently recovered from a coronavirus infection.

* That's over 100k/day now loll

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Jan-21 96654
Dec-20 80927
Jan-22 66220
Feb-21 65786
Apr-20 60795
Sep-21 58706
Oct-21 47793
Dec-21 46038
May-20 41520
Nov-20 39312
Mar-21 37263
Nov-21 34219
Aug-20 29555
Aug-21 27917
Jul-20 26463
Oct-20 24635
Apr-21 23893
Sep-20 23497
Jun-20 19691
May-21 18371
Jun-21 10530
Jul-21 8710
Mar-20 5358

Lol, 18 of the 23 pandemic months have been worse than the 2019-2020 flu season.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
One of my cousins reached out to tell me her oldest kid (6) popped positive at school on Monday, two days later my cousin, her husband and their youngest have it too. Obviously got it from school oh and my cousin is boosted but severely overweight sadly. As far as I know there’s only 3 individual households in my extended family that haven’t gotten COVID yet. Such a smart move to keep the schools open and get everyone sick! This was the plan all along so we can move in from COVID and learn to live with it etc.

Oh and my dad’s hvac guy is most likely gonna die. They can’t stabilize him for a trach and he has a bacterial infection. Sounds like they’re most likely going to have to decide when to pull the plug (again he was unvaccinated chud).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I went to a pulmonologist and did testing for my lungs, the result was 'hmm, those are weird numbers, oh well, you'll get your bill in the mail bye."

Apr 7, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Oh and my dad’s hvac guy is most likely gonna die. They can’t stabilize him for a trach and he has a bacterial infection. Sounds like they’re most likely going to have to decide when to pull the plug (again he was unvaccinated chud).

Sounds like they just need to run some new ductwork back to the air handler and he'll be as good as new

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

i just broke down to my therapist yesterday about all my worries about COVID, lessening immunity, collapse of society, everything. Her response was to disclose she herself was immunocompromised, had COVID twice but "it felt like a cold" and I should "not let this stop me from living my best life".

Now what?

Apr 7, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

i just broke down to my therapist yesterday about all my worries about COVID, lessening immunity, collapse of society, everything. Her response was to disclose she herself was immunocompromised, had COVID twice but "it felt like a cold" and I should "not let this stop me from living my best life".

Now what?

Make her aware that covid isn't the reason you're not living your best life.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

When I went to a pulmonologist and did testing for my lungs, the result was 'hmm, those are weird numbers, oh well, you'll get your bill in the mail bye."

yes this is always a possibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Now what?

i'd say get another therapist but your track record in every thread ever means i should preemptively respond to your next post with "then you get another therapist if that one doesn't work out"