Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't think it's good enough for modern when you have access to DRC, Swiftspear, SSM and Monkieboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think Reinforced Ronin will actually fit in pretty well in Obosh midrange builds. Pitchable to Fury, helps enable delirium since it's two types and can be grabbed with Chandra Dressed to Kill

Is DtK played in Obosh?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

:dafuq:

remember the white march? good times.

if theres anything imperial customs strictly forbid, its knowing important names--especially kaitos friend, the future empress

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Chakan posted:

Would you post a decklist, just to give us an idea?

Sure.

white deck:
4x mother of runes
4x swords to plowshares
4x disenchant
2x glorious anthem
3x pariah
2x warrior en-kor
4x white knight
1x paladin en-vec
4x empyrial armor
2x soltari priest
2x serra angel
2x silver knight
2x soltari champion
4x longbow archer
1x mishra's factory
19x plains

green deck:
1x regrowth
4x rancor
4x rabit wombat
4x ancestral mask
4x gaea's embrace
2x titania's chosen
3x elvish lyrist
1x whirling dervish
2x priest of titania
4x fyndhorn elves
2x predatory hunger
2x yavimaya enchantress
1x sylvan safekeeper
3x treetop rangers
2x lanowar elves
2x blanchwood armor
1x yavimaya hollow
18x forest

blue deck:
2x opposition
4x propaganda
4x prodigal sorcerer
4x voldilian illusionist
4x force of will
4x fog bank
2x dismiss
4x counterspell
1x archivist
2x millstone
1x thran foundry
3x curiosity
4x arcane denial
1x air elemental
20x island

black deck:
4x terror
2x coercion
3x crypt sliver
4x pestilence
4x hymn to tourach
3x fog of gnats
4x rain of tears
1x icequake
3x urza's armor
4x eradicate
1x demonic tutor
1x persecute
2x corrupt
4x choking sands
1x mortavore
1x strip mine
19x swamp

red deck:
2x icy manipulator
3x nevinyrral's disk
3x shivan dragon
4x incinerate
4x pyrokinesis
2x shattering pulse
4x lightning bolt
2x spitting earth
4x shock
2x wake of destruction
4x kindle
2x disintegrate
4x aether flash
3x ghitu encampment
17x mountain

joke deck:
4x zephyr falcon
4x cloud of fairies
2x rishadan airship
3x sunken city
2x escape artist
3x horseshoe crab
3x thalakos seer
3x hermetic study
4x metathran soldier
4x unstable mutation
1x control magic
4x sigil of sleep
2x clone
1x bribery
20x island

Now everyone can see how terrible I am at making decks. Hell, I should just play some random people and see what happens. Maybe they kick my rear end, maybe my old crap blows them away. No way to know until I try right?

Antillie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sickening posted:

No. Goblin guide doesn’t need to tie up red mana every turn.

ah true

what the gently caress hahaha

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Someone's an Adele fan.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Fucker posted:

if theres anything imperial customs strictly forbid, its knowing important names--especially kaitos friend, the future empress

Clearly they knew that she will eventually become a mysterious traveller where someone knowing her name would be uncool.
At the end of her storyline she will travel back to old kamigawa with teferi's help, and establish those customs.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

< not <= is gonna get some folks, though I guess otherwise this is absurd with Dryad Arbor.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

ilmucche posted:

ah true

what the gently caress hahaha

forests and lands still aren't green cards right?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Is DtK played in Obosh?

You betcha

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fucker posted:

:dafuq:

remember the white march? good times.

lmao this is the world's worst Cackling Counterpart

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

just looking at your white deck. not that these are modern legal or anything but other than kitchen table playing you're probably going to get run over a lot. there's no format where your deck is legal and competitive. like power levels on cards has gotten so high, you'll have the illusion of competitiveness but you probably won't win on account of your decks being good today.

don't feel bad since most decks built during that time probably didn't have any internet websites guiding their deck building. that's an almost similar deck i ran back when i was playing during tempest/stronghold era. i just got back into magic in the past year as well and yeah... most older cards are underpowered.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

forests and lands still aren't green cards right?
only if they're declared green or have the green symbol on it.. so like dryad arbor

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Antillie posted:

Sure.

4x force of will

Now everyone can see how terrible I am at making decks. Hell, I should just play some random people and see what happens. Maybe they kick my rear end, maybe my old crap blows them away. No way to know until I try right?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/price/Alliances/Force+of+Will#paper

Things aren't so bad

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Strong Sauce posted:

just looking at your white deck. not that these are modern legal or anything but other than kitchen table playing you're probably going to get run over a lot. there's no format where your deck is legal and competitive. like power levels on cards has gotten so high, you'll have the illusion of competitiveness but you probably won't win on account of your decks being good today.

don't feel bad since most decks built during that time probably didn't have any internet websites guiding their deck building. that's an almost similar deck i ran back when i was playing during tempest/stronghold era. i just got back into magic in the past year as well and yeah... most older cards are underpowered.

Fair enough. I guess they could serve as starting points as I slowly replace some/most of the old weak stuff with modern cards. I'll probably never have any decks that are legal in modern but as long as I can eventually get to the point where they are reasonably competitive with whatever is being played at the local gaming shop I'll be happy. I'm more interested in having fun than following formats.

I'm actually glad to hear that older stuff is crap. I prefer having plenty of room for improvement over starting off at or near the top of the hill.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 2, 2022

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Holy crap. That is really surprising.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Antillie posted:

that's exactly why i said don't just sell stuff in bulk, i bet you would've given the entire thing away for less than you could sell one of those force of wills

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just want to say that your decklists put a huge loving smile on my face, because they remind me of decks I would build back in the 90s :)

That black deck is totally dope btw. Hymn, Rain of Tears, Choking Sands and Icequake? loving :hellyeah:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We never did get the non-Kor outside of Rath. The Kor got revealed to be from Zendikar, but the Vec and Soltari and Dauthi and Thalakos got nothing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Antillie posted:

So my old stuff is junk? Well I guess that's better than being OP. At least I can play with them.
you should absolutely check the dawnglare visualizer(input whatever set you want to check out) for older cards you might own that nowadays might be worth a ton.

for example, I found a blue deck in my stepdad's house and while it didn't have much of note in the 100 or so cards, there was a single Treachery in there, which is a cool 75 bucks. in my old old old collection I found a revised Copy Artifact that's worth about 80. there's a fair number of even commons and uncommons worth tons too, particularly stuff on the Reserved List. if you have a bunch old stuff, you may be sitting on a gold mine.

Antillie posted:

Ha, yeah sell them all and then split a warhammer 40k starter box with someone.
don't do this tho, gently caress gw

but yeah you've got some pretty good hits in there like the Forces. and if any of those things like mother of runes, rancor, etc are foil, they're worth a SHITLOAD. like rancor regular is a buck, while rancor foil is a hundred, MOR is a few bucks and foil MOR is 200+.

if you've got a binder full of rares and foils etc from back then, I think you'll find some good poo poo if you post some pictures or inventory it here.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Antillie posted:

you could buy 4 copies of prismatic ending, Teferi, Time Raveler and brainstorm, then have a good shell for a decent Blue/White control deck. It would work a lot better if you were willing to drop $500+ to buy fetchlands and Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, but whatever.

Silhouette posted:

I just want to say that your decklists put a huge loving smile on my face, because they remind me of decks I would build back in the 90s :)

That black deck is totally dope btw. Hymn, Rain of Tears, Choking Sands and Icequake? loving :hellyeah:

Oh I know, what fun lists. Hymn is probably my favorite card to resolve.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Weren't the Vec from Mercadia, and the Dauthi/Soltari just Vec and Kor that got caught in the shadow rift because the Phyrexians just didn't give a gently caress when they were kidnapping them and the planeshifting process went wrong?

The Thalakos are probably from Theros or something, given their pseudo-Greek name

Captain Invictus posted:

. there's a fair number of even commons and uncommons worth tons too, particularly stuff on the Reserved List.

The RL is only Rares, otherwise Sol Ring and Demonic Tutor would've been put on that poo poo decades ago

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 2, 2022

AQE
Nov 5, 2011

Antillie posted:

Fair enough. I guess they could serve as starting points as I slowly replace some/most of the old weak stuff with modern cards. I'll probably never have any decks that are legal in modern but as long as I can eventually get to the point where they are reasonably competitive with whatever is being played at the local gaming shop I'll be happy. I'm more interested in having fun than following formats.

I'm actually glad to hear that older stuff is crap. I prefer having plenty of room for improvement over starting off at or near the top of the hill.

One thing you might consider is sticking all the decks in a box and bringing them when you play and offering to scrimmage with them. "See what good-not-great decks looked like over 20 years ago". Even if the people who picked up magic in that time aren't interested in going back to the days of damage on the stack, , but there are probably old timers who don't have decks like this put together who would.

I'm no expert on whether the decks are well balanced against each other, but someone showed up before a prerelease with something like that I'd be eager to try it out.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
https://twitter.com/wizards_magicFR/status/1488913521542938628?s=20&t=rNkV6J9latEEpRLQ2D9_kg

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

E: nvm, I was wrong.

EE: I guess the Vec were human.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fucker posted:

Doesn't really seem too out of place considering similar measures were taken to obfuscate the given name of Chinese and Japanese Emperors to make a clear delineation between the person and the Emperor as avatar of divinity. Especially given the fact in the Magic swtting true name magic is real.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

you should absolutely check the dawnglare visualizer(input whatever set you want to check out) for older cards you might own that nowadays might be worth a ton.

for example, I found a blue deck in my stepdad's house and while it didn't have much of note in the 100 or so cards, there was a single Treachery in there, which is a cool 75 bucks. in my old old old collection I found a revised Copy Artifact that's worth about 80. there's a fair number of even commons and uncommons worth tons too, particularly stuff on the Reserved List. if you have a bunch old stuff, you may be sitting on a gold mine.

don't do this tho, gently caress gw

but yeah you've got some pretty good hits in there like the Forces. and if any of those things like mother of runes, rancor, etc are foil, they're worth a SHITLOAD. like rancor regular is a buck, while rancor foil is a hundred, MOR is a few bucks and foil MOR is 200+.

if you've got a binder full of rares and foils etc from back then, I think you'll find some good poo poo if you post some pictures or inventory it here.

In 30 seconds.... 2 replenish, and a yagamoth's will. ~$350. drat.

I've got a laptop case full of old cards from the '95-2003 era. Hundreds of them. Including a stack of foil cards half an inch tall. Right on top, foil Defense Grid and foil Saprazzan Heir, another $350.

Umm. I need to do some research and inventory work.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Antillie posted:

You could probably make a couple wacky pauper decks with some modifications that won't break the bank. Like you could adapt all of those for 30 bucks tops and see if anyone else locally wants to screw around with the pauper format. I know a couple stores that have done pauper leagues in paper before.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Is DtK played in Obosh?

Obosh isn't teir one but using Chandra to turn on your spectacle is something I've seen quite a bit when the card came out

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks to the kind poster who answered my questions about starting collecting again. Is this also an OK thread to ask about the actual process of selling singles online? Maybe point me in the direction of a guide that tells me how to price them and how to ship them economically? Should I charge for shipping? God drat I am helpless

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks to the kind poster who answered my questions about starting collecting again. Is this also an OK thread to ask about the actual process of selling singles online? Maybe point me in the direction of a guide that tells me how to price them and how to ship them economically? Should I charge for shipping? God drat I am helpless

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632 Op of the MTG thread in SA mart should answer most questions, is a decent place to sell cards too if you don't want to deal with ebay.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Doesn't really seem too out of place considering similar measures were taken to obfuscate the given name of Chinese and Japanese Emperors to make a clear delineation between the person and the Emperor as avatar of divinity. Especially given the fact in the Magic swtting true name magic is real.

i was making fun of the flavor text by- nevermind

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679632 Op of the MTG thread in SA mart should answer most questions, is a decent place to sell cards too if you don't want to deal with ebay.

That is amazing, thank you!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

man looking at the deck really brings me back. not sure if these are the exact versions but it would be similar.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Other than the swords to plowshares (which are 4th edition prints) those are the exact cards I've got in my old deck, art and all.

Also thank you to Captain Invictus and Mezzanon for pointing out that my old cards might be worth something. My collection is very disproportionally uncommons and rares. I've gone through like 30 of them and found over $1000 so far.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 2, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Show me the miku card wotc

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Framboise posted:

Show me the miku card wotc

You gotta mail in collectors boosters proofs of purchase to enter the raffle.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It was played in an early version of the deck but I think the newer versions aren't playing it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It was played in an early version of the deck but I think the newer versions aren't playing it.

Some definitely are

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4562407#paper
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4575919#paper

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Fucker posted:

He doesnt look a thing like Jesus