Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joker
Aug 6, 2001

Stalizard posted:

we're trying to find a decent office chair for my wife, she's an accountant so in the springtime she basically lives at her desk full time.

do they make a decent desk chair that holds up to long term sitting for ~$250 new? i'm pretty sure that her only hope is to troll fb marketplace for a steelcase or a herman miller and her only response to that idea so far has been "ugh can't i just go buy one at a store."

if you guys have any other ideas i'd love to hear em

People say good things about the Hyken office chair. It usually goes for $180, but I think has dropped to $130. I think both Amazon and Staples have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Stalizard posted:

we're trying to find a decent office chair for my wife, she's an accountant so in the springtime she basically lives at her desk full time.

do they make a decent desk chair that holds up to long term sitting for ~$250 new? i'm pretty sure that her only hope is to troll fb marketplace for a steelcase or a herman miller and her only response to that idea so far has been "ugh can't i just go buy one at a store."

There's an office chair thread in SH/SC, but they're serious about chairs too. I don't know if $250 clears the 'it'll fall apart in a couple years' hurdle.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Edit: removed

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Stalizard posted:

The Flintan chair I bought at IKEA is durable and is only $80. It isn't the best chair in the world, but is cheap and pretty comfortable.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Ask here about computer chairs

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Stalizard posted:

Find an office liquidator. Get a $2000 chair for a tenth of the price.

I got a Steelcase Leap for $120 this way 12 years ago, the chair is in pretty much the same shape as when i bought it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

No need I got this. You want gamer race car chair. If they weren't the best thing ever would so many twitch streamers use them? Exactly.

https://www.amazon.com/gaming-chair/s?k=gaming+chair Look at them all! Great reviews (heh) so many to choose from.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Office chair nerds are insane just look up some reviews and figure out what you want out of a chair and go from there. Anything more than that and you’ll 100% be driven insane or drown in the flavor aid.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

The thing about nice (expensive) office chairs and why companies pay ~$300-$500 each for hundreds of what look like basic-rear end cubicle chairs is that they were ergonomically designed and built to be sat on for 4-8 hours at a time and ~2000 hours a year and not gently caress up your body as much as sitting on $80 of foam and plastic would. I paid around $280 for one at an office-furniture liquidator almost ten years ago and I'm glad I did.

That said I also bought a MARKUS chair at IKEA for my guest room and had two people work remotely on that for months and had no complaints, so yeah just read the reviews about comfort and longevity.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

Dance McPants posted:

The thing about nice (expensive) office chairs and why companies pay ~$300-$500 each for hundreds of what look like basic-rear end cubicle chairs is that they were ergonomically designed and built to be sat on for 4-8 hours at a time and ~2000 hours a year and not gently caress up your body as much as sitting on $80 of foam and plastic would. I paid around $280 for one at an office-furniture liquidator almost ten years ago and I'm glad I did.

Honestly thought Aeron's were overpriced, but after moving to WFH permanently and loving up my back in the beginning of Covid times.
I relented and bought one (also tried the Embody which was nice but I liked the Arm rests on the Aeron better) and suddenly I don't have a bad back anymore. I wish I had gone sooner.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
other things to not cheapout on and get the good stuff.

socks, bed/matress, socks, shoes, socks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My gf got a silly looking gamer chair that she tried out first at Staples. Turns out it’s comfy and has held up fine, albeit with fairly light use.

For around the same price I got the Hyken after reading up on it a bunch and it’s fine but for light use hers feels better.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
thanks guys, these are exactly what i was looking for. i think we're probably gonna go with the hyken for now and if it doesn't hold up this tax season we'll bite the bullet and get something more serious next year

i think we can all agree that the important thing is never having to go into that sh/sc thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been using these Victor mousetraps for years now and they're perfect(though seem to have doubled in price since I got them), they almost always kill quickly and without much mess, but ever since the major snowfall last week we've been having an inordinate amount of mice coming in the house from the nearby forest. I was catching one every few days but now it's multiple per day, and I'm not around enough to reset it when I get one. Is there an optimal multi-mouse catcher I could go with? they're not particularly painless which sucks, but also there's way too many of the little bastards coming inside right now to get with single-use traps.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

A cat.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Seconding the cat. A lot of cities/states/etc have groups that will give you a pair of barn cats if you don't want to socialize with them but will still care for them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is the product request thread, not the pet adoption thread. I don't want a cat, I want a construct of plastic and/or metal to efficiently catch more than one mouse without needing to be reset every time so I can set it while I am not at home.

I own rodents and dogs, a cat has no place here anyways.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Captain Invictus posted:

this is the product request thread, not the pet adoption thread. I don't want a cat, I want a construct of plastic and/or metal to efficiently catch more than one mouse without needing to be reset every time so I can set it while I am not at home.

I own rodents and dogs, a cat has no place here anyways.

When I was going down a long youtube dive into stuff I'll never need to know I stumbled on a channel by a guy named Shawn Woods who focuses specifically on mousetraps, and he has this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwvVPT202Y where he shows what he thinks is the best mousetrap ever invented

Could be biased or whatever from promo stuff as far as "the best ever invented" but regardless, that channel seems to me to be a wealth of information and that mousetrap does look mighty effective and not particularly expensive

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I bought one of those a few months ago, against my better judgement, since most of those ‘too good to be true’ items….are.

The quality is abysmal, the little trap door is so poorly fitting that it won’t stay up, so I can’t see how any mouse with more than two brain cells would attempt to walk on it. The walkway leading to the top of the 5 gallon bucket won’t stay together either, I had to build one out of lathe.

Even though I used a bunch of different baits and played around with adding a bit of counterweight to the trap door so it would seem solid enough that a rodent would start to walk across it, it has yet to catch any mice. Would not recommend.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

There is a captive bolt gun style one powered by CO2 cartridges that you mount such that the corpses drop down out of the way. I've seen it posted about here before but the name currently escapes me and I'm just firing off a quick post before it's bedtime for the wee one (or I'd try and hunt down the name).

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
What's acceptable in 7.1+ USB sound cards these days? Basically, something like this thing but with 4 pairs of 4 volt RCAs would be perfect but I know that's really reaching (and that thing sounds like a piece of poo poo from the reviews). Don't need any digital outputs, and one mono analog in would be more than enough. It's kind of hard to dig through all the no-names and gamer/audiophile/ripoff poo poo when most of it has basically 0 information besides what plugs they have on the outside. As long as it can pump out a decently clean 20-20kHz to some single-ended line inputs I don't care if it's not 150db snr.

E:

The Vantec NBA-200U is really more of a philosophy than a USB sound card.

Lowclock has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Feb 5, 2022

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

JnnyThndrs posted:

I bought one of those a few months ago, against my better judgement, since most of those ‘too good to be true’ items….are.

The quality is abysmal, the little trap door is so poorly fitting that it won’t stay up, so I can’t see how any mouse with more than two brain cells would attempt to walk on it. The walkway leading to the top of the 5 gallon bucket won’t stay together either, I had to build one out of lathe.

Even though I used a bunch of different baits and played around with adding a bit of counterweight to the trap door so it would seem solid enough that a rodent would start to walk across it, it has yet to catch any mice. Would not recommend.

Well poo poo

I hope I never have to deal with this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I suppose since I have multiple of the snap traps I'll just set more than one or two at a time and hopefully catch all of the little bastards in a row. I've seen the bucket dunker types of traps and they either work amazingly or not at all, no in-between.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Looking for waterproof mittens that are easy to wrestle onto a four year old who pulls them off every other gd minute.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You know how they make suspenders and sock suspenders? As soon as I got home with my baby the other month and could not keep mittens on his hands I got an idea for mitten suspenders for babies. I haven't worked out exactly how/where they'll be secured but please don't steal my idea.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Bungie cord from one glove to the other across their back.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Inspector 34 posted:

You know how they make suspenders and sock suspenders? As soon as I got home with my baby the other month and could not keep mittens on his hands I got an idea for mitten suspenders for babies. I haven't worked out exactly how/where they'll be secured but please don't steal my idea.

I know I and my little sister had them as kids so they exist.

fake EDIT: like this https://www.suspenders-online.com/mitten-clips/page-eight.html?gglmc2

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

JnnyThndrs posted:

Did you buy the name brand one from their site and not the Amazon one?

The friend bought the one from Amazon, it was terrible as you describe, but then we found the actual one from https://www.rinnetraps.com/ and it was night and day.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
It looked like the correct one(no Pikachu-looking ears, etc) but I’m sure it was some horrible Chinese copy, as the quality just reeked of copycat. I bought it(or rather my GF bought it) off of Facebook, which is a giant pile of red flags right there.

I didn’t even know there was a ‘good’ version, which is sad. :(

Edit: yeah, mine doesn’t have ‘rinnetraps’ molded into it, so it’s definitely a copy.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

JnnyThndrs posted:

It looked like the correct one(no Pikachu-looking ears, etc) but I’m sure it was some horrible Chinese copy, as the quality just reeked of copycat. I bought it(or rather my GF bought it) off of Facebook, which is a giant pile of red flags right there.

I didn’t even know there was a ‘good’ version, which is sad. :(

Edit: yeah, mine doesn’t have ‘rinnetraps’ molded into it, so it’s definitely a copy.

Yeah. This unfortunately happens way too often, and the original gets a bad reputation.

I wish I could get my hands on both from my buddy and do a comparison because I'd love to know the differences. I don't think he kept the fake one, but I will call and ask if he noticed anything.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don’t we have a mattress thread?

Im a side sleeper and I’m looking to buy a Layla mattress as per SleepLikeTheDead.com so I can get off my Amazon brand one but I want to talk about it with goons first.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think it's in ask/tell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rolo posted:

Don’t we have a mattress thread?

Im a side sleeper and I’m looking to buy a Layla mattress as per SleepLikeTheDead.com so I can get off my Amazon brand one but I want to talk about it with goons first.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813333&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Thanks! I absolutely could not find it for some reason.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I really like the IKEA KLUBBSPORRE fabric. I also think I like the cooling gel, although I don't know how and if it works, but at first touch it seems to have an effect.
Anyway, I kinda want to get the surface fabric to use as an actual thing my body touches in some places (Mainly thinking about a cover for my chair), as I really think it feels much nicer than the actual covers you put on the pillow. So my question is, does anyone know how or where you could get something similar?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Please recommend me an electric shaver with which I can shave my entire head. Currently using a pair of electric clippers and they're not cutting as short as I'd like.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Please recommend me an electric shaver with which I can shave my entire head. Currently using a pair of electric clippers and they're not cutting as short as I'd like.

Skull Shaver

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

MaliciousOnion posted:

Again, Philips Oneblade.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters

St_Ides posted:

Again, Philips Oneblade.

That thing is so convenient that it has changed my shaving routine.
I used to use it dry, and it was fine but it threw shavings everywhere, so I use it with shaving cream and it's been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LowOnCyan posted:

That thing is so convenient that it has changed my shaving routine.
I used to use it dry, and it was fine but it threw shavings everywhere, so I use it with shaving cream and it's been perfect.

Wait you can do that without gunking it up?