Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cru Jones posted:

o-uchi <-> ko-uchi is obviously the classic combo that can go either way. I'm a sasae and deashi man myself (being 6'5" really lets me hit it from a lot of angles)

You know, just thinking about it now, I've never really liked ouchi/kouchi. The direction change is too jarring to truly go after that ko uchi if you actually commit to the ouchi. Like, I teach it to people, because it's such a staple, and I'll snap at it, but it doesn't have any flow and it really feels more like a feint. So I'll go like ouchi as an opener, miss it, now the ko uchi is really out of range, and I'll shoot at it anyway, but in the end that ko uchi is just a set up on my way to an o guruma harai goshit or tai otoshi.

The sasae I've been enjoying lately is going to the collar side off of a osoto feint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My coach's husband always recommends Venum, I don't actually know if they're good but he's a black belt in both Jiu Jitsu and Taekwondo and does a lot of MMA.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

The cheapest cloth covered venums work for me but I'm also just a hobbyist. The Velcro strap on them is a bit lacking but they get the job done.

Re: age and the sport, I'll be 39 in a week or so and i started at 37. I've never been super athletic though I've been active. First six months were awful. Time back after covid breaks were awful. I added some light kettlebells/resistance bands/exercise bike/grippers in pseudorandom intervals to my training and it's helped me feel more stable but not 100%.

Tapping earlier than you think you need to is also important. Like way early. They have a firm hold on that armbar? Tap now. Don't let them get the extension if you can't weasel out quick. Everybody says tap early but I didn't have any concept of what early was until recently. I guess if you're gonna compete suck it up and maybe risk injury but if you're just in hobby territory, there's no sense putting the risk in because time out sucks real bad.

Also consider your partners. If I encounter folks way stronger/larger than me, I ask for some grace in the roll. If they're my size I try to come at them with calm but firm energy. Not a flow roll but not bloodsport either. They often come down to my level of intensity after they try to crush me and realize I'm not responding with the same level of force.

Also I'm just an "old dude" white belt with a few stripes so the upper belts here can comment better. One thing I will say with confidence is I try to avoid all this "old" talk lest it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

On physicality talk - I'm 42 and just started. Tuesday last week was my first non-trial lesson, where I wore my gi for the first time. During the practice section (the main portion of the session) I was with another white belt, who had been there 6 months and had one stripe. He also worked a manual job, unlike me. Anyway, we were practicing the rear naked choke, and another one for if you can't your arm around far enough for the rear naked choke (can't remember its name). It hurt quite a bit, even though he stopped as soon as I tapped each time. I was still able to roll afterwards, but I gagged when I left the dojo, and soon realised I couldn't go on Thursday (vague plan was to go Tue and Thur and take it from there) as I needed to heal. I don't know how much of that is my age, and how much just needing to toughen up. It's a week later today, and I'm going back tonight for more punishment. If I can, I will go on Thursday also, but if I need to I guess I will let my body heal again. Throats are quite important, I understand.

that's called a short choke and it's applied directly on your windpipe, which is weak as hell and we hate to get it crushed on. you should tap before things hurt "quite a bit", and know that white belts in particular won't have a good point of reference for when to stop a move or if they're drilling too hard, so take particular care with them and new partners til you have a feel for people at your gym

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
You actually have a little bone in your trachea called the hyoid (the only one in humans not directly connected to any other bones!), and you're in a lot of trouble if it gets broken; it's not an age thing at all. Chokes applied to the trachea are perfectly valid, they just need to be applied with a lot more control than most submissions because of how quickly they can cause serious damage. I would not trust a white belt to finish a trachea choke safely in a live roll, so if one ever managed to get to the point where it's locked in, you better believe I'm tapping like Fred Astaire.

knuthgrush posted:

The cheapest cloth covered venums work for me but I'm also just a hobbyist. The Velcro strap on them is a bit lacking but they get the job done.

Re: age and the sport, I'll be 39 in a week or so and i started at 37. I've never been super athletic though I've been active. First six months were awful. Time back after covid breaks were awful. I added some light kettlebells/resistance bands/exercise bike/grippers in pseudorandom intervals to my training and it's helped me feel more stable but not 100%.

Tapping earlier than you think you need to is also important. Like way early. They have a firm hold on that armbar? Tap now. Don't let them get the extension if you can't weasel out quick. Everybody says tap early but I didn't have any concept of what early was until recently. I guess if you're gonna compete suck it up and maybe risk injury but if you're just in hobby territory, there's no sense putting the risk in because time out sucks real bad.

Also consider your partners. If I encounter folks way stronger/larger than me, I ask for some grace in the roll. If they're my size I try to come at them with calm but firm energy. Not a flow roll but not bloodsport either. They often come down to my level of intensity after they try to crush me and realize I'm not responding with the same level of force.

Also I'm just an "old dude" white belt with a few stripes so the upper belts here can comment better. One thing I will say with confidence is I try to avoid all this "old" talk lest it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

This is all good advice, except you really do need to get more serious about stretching and recovery and so on as you get older.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nestharken posted:

This is all good advice, except you really do need to get more serious about stretching and recovery and so on as you get older.

Should've mentioned I do "yoga" (extended stretching session with some yoga moves and such) every morning and I stretch pre-post roll. Super important.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I got my first submission today! Albeit on another white belt with no stripes, and I started the sparring with side control... still, felt like progress. :haw:

Also, was a bit grumpy and taciturn all day and my wife commented on how much better my mood was when I got in. Definitely starting to feel the emotional benefits, which is not unwelcome.

Wangsbig posted:

that's called a short choke and it's applied directly on your windpipe, which is weak as hell and we hate to get it crushed on. you should tap before things hurt "quite a bit", and know that white belts in particular won't have a good point of reference for when to stop a move or if they're drilling too hard, so take particular care with them and new partners til you have a feel for people at your gym

Nestharken posted:

You actually have a little bone in your trachea called the hyoid (the only one in humans not directly connected to any other bones!), and you're in a lot of trouble if it gets broken; it's not an age thing at all. Chokes applied to the trachea are perfectly valid, they just need to be applied with a lot more control than most submissions because of how quickly they can cause serious damage. I would not trust a white belt to finish a trachea choke safely in a live roll, so if one ever managed to get to the point where it's locked in, you better believe I'm tapping like Fred Astaire.

Yeah, all good advice. It wasn't in a roll, just practice, but I should have been more upfront when it was hurting (it started to hurt before he finished applying all stages of the technique, so I kind of waited to allow him to fully practice it - clearly a mistake in retrospect). Still a bit sore a week later, but not enough to stop me going today.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 1, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

CommonShore posted:

You know, just thinking about it now, I've never really liked ouchi/kouchi. The direction change is too jarring to truly go after that ko uchi if you actually commit to the ouchi. Like, I teach it to people, because it's such a staple, and I'll snap at it, but it doesn't have any flow and it really feels more like a feint. So I'll go like ouchi as an opener, miss it, now the ko uchi is really out of range, and I'll shoot at it anyway, but in the end that ko uchi is just a set up on my way to an o guruma harai goshit or tai otoshi.

The sasae I've been enjoying lately is going to the collar side off of a osoto feint.

Ouchi/de ashi flows better imo if you get the timing right

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Short choke is one that you don’t gently caress with. Your coach should have explained the safety aspect of it. Any strangle that just applies pressure to the arteries, like the rear naked choke, you can resist without injury.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Any strangle that just applies pressure to the arteries, like the rear naked choke, you can resist without injury.

There's some evidence that spending time having your neck crushed can lead to strokes in younger than usual people.

quote:

A previously healthy 27 year-old professional male Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighter presented to the emergency room with headache, right motor deficit, and aphasia, all commencing 16 hours earlier. The patient had experienced a bout of severe neck pain one week earlier while practicing a submission maneuver known as the Rear Naked Choke or Lion Killer, with persistent pain locally thereafter. No family history of arterial dissection, stroke, connective tissue disorders, or migraine was elicited. The patient never smoked but the use of anabolic steroids (nandrolone and trenbolone) 1 month beforehand was reported.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5678212/

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

CommonShore posted:

I've never gotten the ouchi/kouchi combo to work for me either. I do however very much like hooking the ouchi and if I can't drive them backwards then quickly hop-change directions for the uchi mata. It's about the only way I can hit a clean uchi mata.

The lapel-side sasae/osoto duo is one of my favorites to teach together because they both start with the same first step, then switch directions 180, so the more uke tries to defend against one the more vulnerable they are to the other (just like ouchi/uchi mata). That sasae also works well against the bent over defensive posture of grapplers who don't train enough stand-up. You can pretty much just yank them off their feet. Just beware of the quick wrestler who will turn it into an easy ankle pick.

My favorite footsweep is after someone swats my ankle hoping for a hail-mary footsweep. I'll dangle my left foot out their until they can't resist trying another one and I hit them with a tsubame gaeshi. It reminds me of fishing and I like the name so it always makes me grin when it works.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Postess with the Mostest posted:

There's some evidence that spending time having your neck crushed can lead to strokes in younger than usual people.

I don't think it's a stretch to wonder if the roid use and likely elevated blood pressure also contributed to that particular stroke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ihop posted:

I've never gotten the ouchi/kouchi combo to work for me either. I do however very much like hooking the ouchi and if I can't drive them backwards then quickly hop-change directions for the uchi mata. It's about the only way I can hit a clean uchi mata.

The lapel-side sasae/osoto duo is one of my favorites to teach together because they both start with the same first step, then switch directions 180, so the more uke tries to defend against one the more vulnerable they are to the other (just like ouchi/uchi mata). That sasae also works well against the bent over defensive posture of grapplers who don't train enough stand-up. You can pretty much just yank them off their feet. Just beware of the quick wrestler who will turn it into an easy ankle pick.

My favorite footsweep is after someone swats my ankle hoping for a hail-mary footsweep. I'll dangle my left foot out their until they can't resist trying another one and I hit them with a tsubame gaeshi. It reminds me of fishing and I like the name so it always makes me grin when it works.

the swallow's flight reversal is a popular name in our club too. We have a couple people who go for yama arashi all the time because they like the name even though they're really just doing tai otoshi/oguruma with a modified grip

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I've been following this stuff (namely sport-related carotid dissection) for a while and so far the evidence seems to be inconclusive, mostly due to the nature and scale of the few studies involved.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

CommonShore posted:

the swallow's flight reversal is a popular name in our club too. We have a couple people who go for yama arashi all the time because they like the name even though they're really just doing tai otoshi/oguruma with a modified grip

Judo is normally so dry and clinical with its names that it makes the poetic ones stand out that much more. I like tani otoshi ("valley drop") for that reason too.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I cringe when I see teammates not tap from kimuras and armbars. Not worth it. Dealing with hyper extended elbows sucks and I've been having annoying shoulder pain for like months now.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Had a guy pull guard on my today from standing and instead of putting his leg into my hip and pulling me he put it into my leg just above the knee and jumped back hard hyper extending my knee ;( I was okay but it was not a nice thing to happen.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
^^^ yikes, that would instantly turn my dial to 11.

For judo names I also liked kuchiki daoshi, which my limited-english instructor translated as "when the tree, in the forest, is now dead and you push it over."

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

stramit posted:

Had a guy pull guard on my today from standing and instead of putting his leg into my hip and pulling me he put it into my leg just above the knee and jumped back hard hyper extending my knee ;( I was okay but it was not a nice thing to happen.

He should be gripping your collar and getting his legs around your waist if he is going to pull guard with you standing. The whole purpose of this movement is ultimately to break your posture and put you into the full guard position. Otherwise how you mentioned, is pulling into an open guard position. Both have their applications and can be done safely, but the former can go really wrong if not done correctly.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
How do you stop someone from doing the cross collar choke on you? I could see it being set up over the course of like 90 seconds but had no idea what I should have done to stop it. Guessing I have to break his first grip and not let him get the second?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Tips for a mediocre blue belt on commitment in my takedowns? I'm going to IBJJJF New Orleans in a. couple weeks and that's the number one advice I've gotten from everyone; my coaches, the guys that wrestled in high school, the pro fighter purple belts. Problem is, it's the advice I've gotten since I started Jiu Jitsu so I'm not really improving much in that regard.

I prefer judo style attacks, particularly osoto gari, ouchi gari, to a lesser extent tai otoshi, and as a bail out tome nage. Also, I bought Shintaro's Judo Basics videos a while ago and I do feel like my ability to get dominant grips is considerably better than my ability to finish a take down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Tips for a mediocre blue belt on commitment in my takedowns? I'm going to IBJJJF New Orleans in a. couple weeks and that's the number one advice I've gotten from everyone; my coaches, the guys that wrestled in high school, the pro fighter purple belts. Problem is, it's the advice I've gotten since I started Jiu Jitsu so I'm not really improving much in that regard.

I prefer judo style attacks, particularly osoto gari, ouchi gari, to a lesser extent tai otoshi, and as a bail out tome nage. Also, I bought Shintaro's Judo Basics videos a while ago and I do feel like my ability to get dominant grips is considerably better than my ability to finish a take down.

It's hard to say without being able to work with you a bit, but you can try chaining the attacks together more to create drives: second/third effort osotos, combos through like ouchi - tai otoshi. Usually too when people are having trouble committing to entries it's one or both of two problems - either they're framing themselves out with their own stiff arms, and/or they're not using their hands enough to create kuzushi mid technique.

So that's a trouble-shooting list I guess.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd say not chaining attacks and framing too much with stiff arms both feel like likely culprits; I'll see what I can do and also mention it to my coaches.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

CommonShore posted:

either they're framing themselves out with their own stiff arms, and/or they're not using their hands enough to create kuzushi mid technique.

These two along with just not getting close/tight enough on the setup are the biggest problems people have in my experience. For instance on an osoto look how there is no daylight between your hips.

Every inch you are away from uke increases your chance of failure on the throw and also can increase injury risks as well of people rolling over each other's knees. I see a lot of less experience BJJ trying to do osoto from like feet away and basically reaping ankle to ankle.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46

laxbro posted:

How do you stop someone from doing the cross collar choke on you? I could see it being set up over the course of like 90 seconds but had no idea what I should have done to stop it. Guessing I have to break his first grip and not let him get the second?

you have to stop whatever else you were doing and stop them from fully setting a deep first grip. After that point its their submission to lose and you hope they dont base well when they go for grip 2. ( assuming we are talking mounted cross collar)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

laxbro posted:

Its a grip game. Dont let them have the cross collar grip to begin with, but once they have it, its a difficult grip to break. That grip serves two purposes: 1. Setup chokes (cross collar, loop, brabo if other part of gi is involved, etc) and 2. Break posture. Breaking posture makes it easier to setup the choke. Be cognizant of the second hand and what its doing with your posture.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

laxbro posted:

That's it in a nutshell. Your preferred options should be, in order:

1. Assuming closed guard, stand up to pass before they get a grip. You should be doing this anyway.
2. Don't let him get the first grip by owning the inside while you're handfighting. Wax on/wax off, etc.
3. Break his first grip, preferably *before* he has a chance to establish a really strong one. There's a bunch of ways to do this, but I like to get a double sleeve grip and push the arm straight down while leaning back--both of your arms plus your back muscles versus one of his hands is a matchup very strongly in your favor. This works better if you do it as a quick/sharp motion.
4. Duck your head under his forearm so it's no longer a cross-collar grip. That grip can still control your posture and it could turn into a baseball bat choke later, but it can't cross-collar you.
5. If he has an unshakeable gorilla grip (it happens), he's put you in check, and your only priority at that point is controlling the other arm. Don't try to chase the hand, just frame against the shoulder/armpit/bicep somewhere.

Here's a decent overview of these ideas (though I don't personally recommend the amassa pão/thrust choke):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJM7Ou84ZA4

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nestharken posted:

5. If he has an unshakeable gorilla grip (it happens), he's put you in check, and your only priority at that point is controlling the other arm. Don't try to chase the hand, just frame against the shoulder/armpit/bicep somewhere.

Stopping the second grip is the advice I normally stress for new people, too, because that's often the point when you start to think "poo poo, there's a choke coming isn't there", when they have that good first grip and you're fighting them on the second.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I personally think pulling guard is a perfectly viable strategy in bjj, I believe Travis Stevens has said more or less the same. Especially if your guard pulls are all failed tomoe/sumi attempts.

If you're winning the grip battle you could try to get to this grip, it's usually a guaranteed yoko sumi gaeshi like the second or third in that video.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

^^especially in a timed event like IBJJF match. If you are comfortable with your guard, use it.

Lookout for that cross collar grip when on your feet too. There are a bunch of cool throw setups from there too including Tai Otoshi.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm looking for "combo shorts" for no gi. They're shorts with an integrated layer of skin-tight material underneath. Here's on on BJJ HQ today.

Anyone have a preferred type or place to get these? I try looking for cheaper ones on Amazon but don't have much luck, while I haven't found very many on BJJ-specific sites.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Scramble and hyperfly have them. I'm pretty sure 93brand makes one as well.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Just got done with my first no gi open mat. Had probably a dozen full bore 5min rolls with bent nosed killers. I was ill prepared but I survived. Hurt but not injured. I have a long road of learning ahead of me yet. This ride is awesome.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

Just got done with my first no gi open mat. Had probably a dozen full bore 5min rolls with bent nosed killers. I was ill prepared but I survived. Hurt but not injured. I have a long road of learning ahead of me yet. This ride is awesome.

Awesome! Most important thing is: did you have fun and did you learn a few things? Thats how I gauge how my open mat sessions usually are.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Awesome! Most important thing is: did you have fun and did you learn a few things? Thats how I gauge how my open mat sessions usually are.

I learned more than I typically do in class I think due to the intensity and variety of partners. It was definitely fun but I've been laid up and exhausted all day after it. Will likely go back again and maybe do a few less rounds.

I've been replaying a lot of it in my mind and there's a couple spots where I know I could've either caught or feinted an omaplata or I could've caught an arm bar but for whatever reason I didn't go for it. I'll make a mental note to try to throw both into rolls in some upcoming evenings.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Unfortunately there’s a long road between recognizing later that you could have used a move, remembering at the right time that you could use the move but not doing it, performing the move at the wrong time, performing the move at the right time badly, performing the move at the right time correctly, and performing the move at the right time flawlessly. If you’re recognising the situations and have a general sense of direction, that’s a good first step.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Then there's the other side where you are sparring and you just without thinking find and hit some sequence that you've never drilled and wonder wtf just happened

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Well I said hurt but not injured, however I have acute pain in my lower ribs on the left side. Only there when I mash on it/lay on it/engage certain muscles. Doesn't hurt like the time I broke my ribs in a mountain bike wreck so I'm not too worried.

I was thinking I'd go to class tomorrow and just drill, skipping rolls, but I think I'm gonna listen to my body and sit out until it's not sore. I've been out longer for covid fears so a few days won't kill me.

I seem to be able to shrimp and do sit throughs so I'll stick to some yoga, resistance bands, and solo drills to keep active while it heals up.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Coming from 15+ years of judo experience BJJ groundwork has been a revelation the last 8 months in realizing you now have time to think and process and plan. It's really feels like doing randori but on the ground. You can try combinations, bait things, feel your partner's vibe through grips, etc. I still get smoked a ton and easily confused in positions and situations than are unfamiliar but a few things have started clicking.

It took about two weeks for me to realize I can chill and that you have more than 5 seconds to summon the ghost of Mifune to spirit bomb someone turtling up to keep things moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

knuthgrush posted:

I learned more than I typically do in class I think due to the intensity and variety of partners. It was definitely fun but I've been laid up and exhausted all day after it. Will likely go back again and maybe do a few less rounds.

I've been replaying a lot of it in my mind and there's a couple spots where I know I could've either caught or feinted an omaplata or I could've caught an arm bar but for whatever reason I didn't go for it. I'll make a mental note to try to throw both into rolls in some upcoming evenings.

Open mat is definitely where you just let go and try new things.

CommonShore posted:

Then there's the other side where you are sparring and you just without thinking find and hit some sequence that you've never drilled and wonder wtf just happened

this actually happened to me the other day: my teammate turtled up on me and really without thinking about it I started to get him trapped in a crucifix. Its funny when this happens because it kind of shows you which direction subconsciously you want to go in :)

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 7, 2022