Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

some plague rats posted:

Guess Biden just remembered he used to have two sons?
Cancer is bad, road carnage is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Willa Rogers posted:

I look forward to our public servants continuing to make private bank on their investments via no-holds-barred insider trading.

And making sure that things like the GameStop short reversal of fortune never happens again. Because regular people aren't allowed to play rich people games.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Creating a new agency named "ARPAH" is really going to make life difficult for anyone with a French accent who regularly talks about both DARPA and ARPAH.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not serious until we have a Cancer Czar

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

haveblue posted:

Does a Cancer Czar outrank someone with the combined titles of "Director of the Cancer Cabinet" and "Chairwoman of ARPAH"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

U.S. District Attorney says they have video evidence that someone spiked Michael K. Williams' heroin with fentanyl, which led to his overdose death, and will be pursuing charges against the four people responsible for spiking it and selling it to him. All four suspects have been arrested today.

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1488957193647005697

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 2, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

U.S. District Attorney says they have video evidence that someone spiked Michael K. Williams' heroin with fentanyl, which led to his overdose death, and will be pursuing charges against the four people responsible for spiking it and selling it to him. All four suspects have been arrested today.

https://twitter.com/SDNYnews/status/1488957193647005697

wonder how they ended up on camera, the way the tweet read i thought they were in his apartment and spiked his bag with it.

Did they take a scoop out of a bag labeled 'FENTANYL' and mix it into a container labeled 'HEROIN'?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

wonder how they ended up on camera, the way the tweet read i thought they were in his apartment and spiked his bag with it.

Did they take a scoop out of a bag labeled 'FENTANYL' and mix it into a container labeled 'HEROIN'?

that's basically how you would spike some heroin, yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

SDNY just put out a longer press release with more details.

Apparently, they were mixing and selling it on a street corner and inside two apartments in a housing complex and were recorded selling it to Michael K. Williams by a street-level security camera.

Two of them apparently fled to Puerto Rico and were picked up there.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1488957928740581380

I always find it funny when they include aliases in press releases (there's no standard or requirement to, so it is entirely up to the specific district office) and it goes from very descriptive legalistic language to "Mr. "Green Eyes" Cartagena and his crew..."

quote:

Damian Williams, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, and Keechant Sewell, the Commissioner of the New York City Police Department (“NYPD”), announced that IRVIN CARTAGENA, a/k/a “Green Eyes,” was charged in a criminal complaint unsealed yesterday in Manhattan federal court with a narcotics conspiracy in which he distributed the fentanyl-laced heroin that resulted in the death of Michael K. Williams. In another criminal complaint unsealed today, co-conspirators HECTOR ROBLES, a/k/a “Oreja,” LUIS CRUZ, a/k/a “Mostro,” and CARLOS MACCI, a/k/a “Carlito,” were charged as members of the fentanyl and heroin conspiracy. CARTAGENA was arrested in Puerto Rico yesterday and is expected to be presented tomorrow in federal court in Puerto Rico. ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI were arrested yesterday and will be presented today in Manhattan federal court before United States Magistrate Judge Stewart D. Aaron.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “Michael K. Williams, a prominent actor and producer, tragically overdosed in his New York City apartment from fentanyl-laced heroin. Today, along with our law enforcement partners at the NYPD, we announce the arrests of members of a drug crew, including Irvin Cartagena, the man who we allege sold the deadly dose of drugs to Michael K. Williams. This is a public health crisis. And it has to stop. Deadly opioids like fentanyl and heroin don’t care about who you are or what you’ve accomplished. They just feed addiction and lead to tragedy. The Southern District of New York and our law enforcement partners will not give up. We will bring every tool to bear. And we will continue to hold accountable the dealers who push this poison, exploit addiction, and cause senseless death.”

NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell said: “As these federal charges show, the NYPD’s narcotics and precinct detectives in Brooklyn North lived this case, never relenting in their investigation until they could bring a measure of justice to Michael K. Williams and his family. It is a level of dedication the NYPD carries out in every case, from beginning to end, in every instance where criminals peddle narcotics and prey on the innocent, and where people die from illegal drugs. I commend our NYPD investigators, working closely with their federal partners in the United States Attorney’s Office, in the Southern District of New York, for their work to clean up this long-embattled block in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and for their sustained commitment to follow every lead this case wrought, from New York City to Puerto Rico and back.”

According to the allegations in the complaints[1]:

Since at least in or about August 2020, a drug trafficking organization (the “DTO”) has been operating in the vicinity of 224 South 3rd Street in the Williamsburg neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York. The DTO sells heroin laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue on the street in front of, and from an apartment inside of, the apartment building located at 224 South 3rd Street, among other places. On or about September 5, 2021, members of the DTO sold Michael K. Williams heroin, which was laced with fentanyl and a fentanyl analogue, with CARTAGENA executing the hand-to-hand transaction, as shown in the below screenshots from surveillance video.

Williams died as a result of using that fentanyl-laced heroin. Despite knowing that Williams died after being sold the DTO’s product, CARTAGENA, ROBLES, CRUZ, and MACCI continued to sell fentanyl-laced heroin, in broad daylight, amidst residential apartment buildings, in Brooklyn and Manhattan.

CARTAGENA, 39, of Brooklyn, New York; ROBLES, 57, of Brooklyn, New York; CRUZ, 56, of Brooklyn, New York; and MACCI, 70, of Brooklyn, New York, are each charged with conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute fentanyl analogue, fentanyl, and heroin, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in prison and a maximum sentence of 40 years in prison. CARTAGENA is also charged with causing the death of Williams in connection with the narcotics conspiracy, which carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 20 years in prison and a maximum sentence of life in prison. The statutory minimum and maximum penalties are prescribed by Congress and are provided here for informational purposes only, as any sentencing of the defendants will be determined by the judge.

Mr. Williams praised the outstanding investigative work of the NYPD and the New York/New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) Intelligence Analysts. Mr. Williams also thanked the Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force (“OCDETF”) New York Strike Force, the United States Marshals Service, the New York/New Jersey Regional Fugitive Task Force, and the New York Division of the DEA for their assistance in this case.

This case is being handled by the Office’s Narcotics Unit. Assistant United States Attorneys Micah Fergenson and David Robles are in charge of the prosecution.

The charges contained in the complaints are merely accusations, and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Michael Avanetti's trial is entering its closing statements right now.

Avanetti fired his federally-appointed public defender and has been representing himself.

He started off by calling Stormy Daniels to the stand to ask her about talking to ghosts, why she was so mean to him, and call her a bad actress.

In his closing statements, he is arguing for a mistrial using a novel legal theory:

quote:

Michael Avenatti's closing argument just began like this:

"When my father was a teenager, he sold hotdogs at a ballpark."

OBJECTION!

Sustained.

quote:

"I will leave you with this: I'm Italian. I like Italian food...The case that the government is attempting to feed you has a giant cockroach in the middle of the plate. Would you eat that dish, or would you send it back? I submit that you would send it back."

quote:

After much speculation — and a warning from Judge Furman that his conviction for extorting Nike and general track record of dishonesty would be fair game on cross-examination — Michael Avenatti elected not to call himself as a witness.

Michael Avenatti: "The defense rests."

Judge Furman says he’s “very, very concerned” about “policing” Avenatti’s summation and fears he’ll start testifying. He will thus order him to deliver it in the third person.

quote:

Avenatti asked the jury to send the plate back when they begin deliberations.

"Michael Avenatti never intended to defraud Ms. Daniels," said Michael Avenatti.

Of her book advance: "This was my money."

quote:

Asking for a mistrial, Avenatti says gov's rebuttal amounted to misconduct because it "ridiculed" his summation. He says Furman wrongly sustained objections.

"Putting aside the fact that nobody cares that you like Italian food," Judge Furman says, it's not in evidence.

Denied.

quote:

Avenatti says he is “completely innocent” and that the federal government is obsessed with him. He also adds that Michael Cohen is “dumber than a box of rocks,” and further, is trying to be him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SDNY just put out a longer press release with more details.

Apparently, they were mixing and selling it on a street corner and inside two apartments in a housing complex and were recorded selling it to Michael K. Williams by a street-level security camera.

Two of them apparently fled to Puerto Rico and were picked up there.

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1488957928740581380

I always find it funny when they include aliases in press releases (there's no standard or requirement to, so it is entirely up to the specific district office) and it goes from very descriptive legalistic language to "Mr. "Green Eyes" Cartagena and his crew..."

I wonder if they do this sort of investigation with every OD death or just the rich and famous ones. Interesting how they found them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

We do. They're called insurance company executives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Gumball Gumption posted:

I wonder if they do this sort of investigation with every OD death or just the rich and famous ones. Interesting how they found them.

Feds were only involved because the four guys were part of a heroin production and trafficking organization that was already being targeted. SDNY wouldn't normally be involved in an overdose case.

I'm sure the local police work extra hard for a celebrity case because "men responsible for famous actor's death go unfound" is more likely to get them in trouble than "men responsible for 28-year old heroin addict's death go unfound."

When they have the feds providing them with two years of investigations and arresting people in Puerto Rico for them, it also makes it a lot easier to do their job.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm just happy that a black celebrity's death is getting the kind of investigative response that is usually reserved for white celebrity death.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

A senior aide to Senator Ben Ray Lujan said that the decompression surgery he underwent was successful and they expect him to be released and able to go back to the Senate (barring any complications) within 4-6 weeks.

4-6 weeks for a stroke that required surgery is really fast, so we will have to see if they are being overly optimistic.

Edit: Tweet confirming.

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1488976752219234309

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 2, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a shame the Senate will be paralyzed and unable to accomplish anything for 4-6 weeks instead of being paralyzed and unable to accomplish anything for 4-6 weeks

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The FBI has found the people who called in the bomb threats to 20 different historically black colleges and universities to "celebrate" the start of Black History Month.

Apparently, they are a bunch of lovely 17-year olds who spoofed cell phone numbers over VOIP.

If this were 20 years ago, this would scream "4chan," but I don't know if the kids have an equivalent place for lovely computer nerds to become Nazis and call in bomb threats or SWAT teams today or if they still use 4chan.

The FBI is considering them hate crimes.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1488936795194724355
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488651083685797889
https://twitter.com/LukeLBarr/status/1488969305991569412

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The FBI has found the people who called in the bomb threats to 20 different historically black colleges and universities to "celebrate" the start of Black History Month.

Apparently, they are a bunch of lovely 17-year olds who spoofed cell phone numbers over VOIP.

If this were 20 years ago, this would scream "4chan," but I don't know if the kids have an equivalent place for lovely computer nerds to become Nazis and call in bomb threats or SWAT teams today or if they still use 4chan.

You would be surprised how easy it is to acquire and program basic functionality of an Avaya VOIP system. If you can post on a Web 1.0 forum you can handle the management of an IPOffice.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fox News was getting more Democratic viewers than CNN or MSNBC among 25-54 year olds as of a few months ago, according to Nielsen's research; Tucker Carlson got more Democratic viewers than Rachel Maddow among the same demo:

quote:

Surprise! Tucker Carlson Draws the Most Democratic Viewers in Key Demo, Even Topping Rachel Maddow

There is an entire cottage industry within media dedicated to disseminating Tucker Carlson’s nightly Fox News musings to presumably liberal audiences who may not be tuning in to hear what the leading conservative voice is telling his large following. But recent data from Nielsen MRI Fusion suggests those nightly dispatches may not be necessary: In October, the most recent month for which data is available, Carlson’s 9 p.m. ET program was the top cable news show among Democrats in the advertiser-coveted age range of 25-54.

The Nielsen MRI Fusion numbers reveal that in October, Fox News unsurprisingly got the majority of the audience of self-proclaimed Republicans, with 69% of them overall tuning into total-day programming and 73% of them in the demo tuning into primetime programming. CNN and MSNBC split the remaining conservatives with totals in the low double-digit percentages. Fox News also commanded the largest number of independents in the key news demo during primetime and total-day hours: 55% of those 25-54 watched the network in primetime, compared to CNN’s 23% and MSNBC’s 22%. During total-day hours, 58% of independents in the demo watch Fox News, 18% chose MSNBC and 25% selected CNN.

More surprising are the stats about Carlson and Fox News’ pull with self-proclaimed Democrats. Of those demo-aged viewers surveyed who identified as Democrats, 39% chose Fox News, 31% chose MSNBC and 30% chose CNN for programming from 8 p.m. ET to 11 p.m. ET. In total-day viewership, Fox News grabbed 42% of Democrats aged 25-54, CNN nabbed 33% and MSNBC got 25%.

Carlson was top among Democrats in the demo across all of cable news that month and ranked third place among Dems in total viewership, too. Of the top four programs among Democrats in total viewers, Fox News had three: “The Five,” “Tucker Carlson Tonight” and “Hannity.” The top spot in total viewers went to MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

These numbers only account for October but reveal that Fox News’ and Carlson’s sizable audiences are not that easy to define. Consider Carlson’s ratings that month. In October, Carlson’s show was the top-rated program in the demo across all of cable news and was the second highest-rated show overall, coming in only behind Fox News’ late-afternoon panel show “The Five.” In total average viewers, he netted 3.081 million viewers and in the demo, he secured 483,000. For the entire year of 2021, “Tucker Carlson Tonight” was the highest-rated program in cable news overall, bringing in an average of 3.214 million total viewers with 535,000 in the demo.

Earlier Tuesday, Nielsen released January’s ratings, which also provided a big win to Fox News. The network hit the milestone of becoming the top-rated cable news channel for 20 straight years.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

Fox News was getting more Democratic viewers than CNN or MSNBC among 25-54 year olds as of a few months ago, according to Nielsen's research; Tucker Carlson got more Democratic viewers than Rachel Maddow among the same demo:

Could this be in anyway the natural side-effect of most of the younger or left-leaning audiences cable cutting and thus not being present at all in cable news statistics? Leaving mostly more right-leaning viewers from every political faction the only ones left to consume the content?

Cause otherwise this is kind of baffling. I know some people hate watch just to be in the know, but it shouldn't be anywhere near this many people from the supposed other side.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Orthanc6 posted:

Could this be in anyway the natural side-effect of most of the younger or left-leaning audiences cable cutting and thus not being present at all in cable news statistics? Leaving mostly more right-leaning viewers from every political faction the only ones left to consume the content?

Cause otherwise this is kind of baffling. I know some people hate watch just to be in the know, but it shouldn't be anywhere near this many people from the supposed other side.

Democrats cover everything from conservative to liberal.

Tucker covers far right to open white supremacy.

There's certainly democrats who are white supremacists. Anyone on the left doesn't like Maddow at all. Most on the far far far right love Tucker.

Comparing the two is already framing the discussion because Maddow isn't the equivalent of Tucker.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if anyone on the right is encouraging ratings fraud. It's still done a lot by voluntary reporting, right?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

bird food bathtub posted:

Demanding the point by point absolutely legal process for an authoritarian sweeping aside democracy is a really out of touch argument. The process would have been exactly what it always is, violence and chaos followed by "well this is just such an unstable emergency situation I guess I'm forced to keep power. For the people."

All it would have taken was blood of people the politicians care about (themselves) on the capital hill and enough obstructionism to gum up the works.

Herstory wrote a perfectly good answer to me that doesn't involve magical thinking the way this does.

"All it would have taken was all the things that didn't happen, that's why its so dangerous"

Did you know there was an attempted coup this morning? It was just missing all the things that could make it successful.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

eh the plan wasn't that trump would be declared president on 1/6, the idea was simply that if pence refused to certify they could then muddy the waters in the following weeks that there had been actual vote fraud/manipulation. if pence (along with a bunch of senators) had gone along with the plan it would've hugely legitimized their bullshit accusations of voter fraud. from there you just declare the election invalid and stall the next election as long as possible while you set up the framework to cheat as hard as possible. It's literally one of the standard ways that democracies descend into dictatorship

Perversely, they went ahead with the entire campaign to muddy the waters, but without it being legitimized by pence and a bunch of senators, it was just laughed out of the courtrooms. Had pence refused to certify, suddenly the right's constant efforts to hype up ridiculous voter fraud would've been anchored in something beyond just rudy, crackhead pillow guy, and kraken lady.

On an absurd note: rudy getting busted on camera immediately before the election trying to gently caress what he thought was a 15 year old really shredded any remaining credibility he might've still been holding on to

This is a really good answer but I'd argue the flaw: the US doesn't have the concept of an election 'do over'. So you can't get there without something forcing you to, which is generally the military taking over the government. Without the military forcing us to scrap the constitution and start from scratch, the inertia of the government would just do what it has always done and swear in biden.

Which means that the 1/6 clownshow was as much an attempted coup as this discussion is, because we have exactly as much military backing.

quote:

It's literally one of the standard ways that democracies descend into dictatorship
This in particular is putting the cart before the horse. When the military overthrows a government, that, full stop, is the coup. When they go on to talk about "election fraud" and "organizing a new vote" over the next few weeks that is post-coup diplomacy to try to not get sanctioned and embargoed too hard. The coup happened because the government lost control of the military, who decided they'd rather be running the show. Or alternately the government was already a dictatorship with a strongman leader who had full military support, and elections were only tolerated so far as they didn't risk anyone important losing power. Either way, a symptom, not a cause.

E: Forgot to thank DeadlyMuffin for their link to the plan, appreciate it.

Harik fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 2, 2022

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

haveblue posted:

I wonder if anyone on the right is encouraging ratings fraud. It's still done a lot by voluntary reporting, right?

I'm disappointed in myself for not having thought of that as an option. With the amount of Russian money kicking around Fox a no-holds-bar, fraud-ridden disinformation campaign sounds ideal for them. Makes them rich, feeds their base and makes Russia happy for continuing to erode the US political landscape. It writes itself.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Orthanc6 posted:

Sure, why not? It's not as if Democrats spend an inordinate amount of time obsessively focusing on Trump & Republicans rather than what Democrats can do to improve people's lives, or anything.

haveblue posted:

Eh, this is a stretch, especially regarding Nielsen, and smacks of the poll-unskewing that everyone mocked in the days of yore.

Jaxyon posted:

Democrats cover everything from conservative to liberal.

Tucker covers far right to open white supremacy.

There's certainly democrats who are white supremacists. Anyone on the left doesn't like Maddow at all. Most on the far far far right love Tucker.

Comparing the two is already framing the discussion because Maddow isn't the equivalent of Tucker.

I'm pretty sure it's being compared bc of head-to-head ratings by show and/or media outlet, not bc Nielsen is part of a nefarious plot to equalize Carlson's & Maddow's respectively unhinged commentary. (See what I did there? I directly compared the mouth-froth of each of them, thereby indirectly legitimizing Carlson!)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Orthanc6 posted:

I can't speak for larger demographic motivations, but Tucker is really the only personality with as large of an audience that, at least in recent years, has entertained anti-war guests and (whether he earnestly believes them or not) espouses anti-war narratives; now, I'm not under some misguided delusion that Tucker believes we shouldn't be mucking about in, say, Ukraine because that money would be better spent on socialized medicine, but my interest in what he (and by extension, his viewers are likely to) believe is wholly contained within "doesn't want to throw more money at the MIC."

It's also partly a cable-cutting thing, too - I'm not flipping on the TV and tuning to FOX news to watch an hour or two or however long his slot is of Tucker (honestly I'd probably not make it as far as the segment I'm interested in if I had to sit through the preceding bits - there's no way I wouldn't turn it off in utter disgust) - I'm watching his 5 minute segment with, I dunno, Glenn Greenwald, compartmentalized away from whatever stupid culture war horseshit he's on nowadays (I presume he's moved on from Trans panic to CRT mania by now with the rest of them) but entertaining guests that are loudly and strongly anti-whatever war the US is trying to start today seems to be lacking on a lot of other outlets. Is Rachel Maddow saying it's none of our business? Are any of her guests? How about Mehdi Hasan? He saying it's none of our business? Any of his guests?

To me, a largely outside observer of The Big 3, it seems as though most of the strongly convicted anti-war rhetoric has been confined to the most unreliable of channels and it's really difficult for me to feel like this isn't intentional, in a sort of "we're letting the literal jester tell the truth, because who the gently caress is going to believe the jester with all the other objectively insane horseshit that comes from him?" kind of way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's mostly because Fox has about five times as many viewers in prime time as their competitors. Only about 700,000 people are watching MSNBC primetime on a given night. Fox is averaging 3.4 million.

So, only about 2% of America is watching prime-time cable news. And that group is overwhelmingly watching Fox News.

Most people are watching network news.

Well, technically, most people are watching the NBA or the NFL.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Harik posted:

Herstory wrote a perfectly good answer to me that doesn't involve magical thinking the way this does.

"All it would have taken was all the things that didn't happen, that's why its so dangerous"

Did you know there was an attempted coup this morning? It was just missing all the things that could make it successful.

This is a really good answer but I'd argue the flaw: the US doesn't have the concept of an election 'do over'. So you can't get there without something forcing you to, which is generally the military taking over the government.
Without the military forcing us to scrap the constitution and start from scratch, the inertia of the government would just do what it has always done and swear in biden.

Which means that the 1/6 clownshow was as much an attempted coup as this discussion is, because we have exactly as much military backing.

eh sort of, they'd swear in biden if that was clearly the path forward,, but idk in what world that would clearly be the path forward.

In reality it would get punted to the SC while the campaign to discredit the results went on publicly, headed by pence (and since this is a hypothetical, lets pretend giuliani did not turbo nuke his reputation immediately before, too) giuliani and a bunch of senators with a huge amount of noise being made by the far-right fringe that instead became the faces of the effort back in reality. Worth noting that on 1/6 the plan was already to return to dc in two weeks, and that time to bring guns. What a bunch of armed far-right guys would be intending to disrupt on january 20th in dc I leave to the reader to figure out

hell that was the plan even after it was clear that 1/6 failed, but the FBI started arresting people basically overnight

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
anyways like most things trump, they got the hint of a plan in there, but they really hosed up the core stuff that would've made it work. If trump had spent less of the last 4 years antagonizing the press, antagonizing the military, and not ignoring covid for as long as humanly possible, he'd still be president legally or otherwise

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm pretty sure it's being compared bc of head-to-head ratings by show and/or media outlet, not bc Nielsen is part of a nefarious plot to equalize Carlson's & Maddow's respectively unhinged commentary. (See what I did there? I directly compared the mouth-froth of each of them, thereby indirectly legitimizing Carlson!)

I don't think there's a nefarious plot, I think that's simply the framing the editor writing headlines wanted. In the body of the article, Maddow is mentioned once: "The top spot in total viewers went to MSNBC’s “The Rachel Maddow Show.”

Editors write the headlines, writers the articles. The editor wants you to be making the comparison. You already know that.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Lib and let die posted:

A persons' medical history, by being recorded in an HR system, is HIPAA-covered PII.

I taught security awareness for 2 years before the pandemic, and work with PII and HIPAA data daily today. What are your credentials?

Real late but we have all staff sign waivers on hire related to vaccination status, tb screening, and other relevant pieces of healthcare information we're required to track for their employment... as a condition of employment. You don't waive away a chunk of those requirements, you don't work at our nursing home. Obviously this doesn't include to the point of just shouting that info into the wild, but we do NOT follow secure procedure with that info and don't have to. So uh... ymmv

Edit: And our pandemic rules are different for vaccinated vs unvaccinated staff *and residents* so their very placement on certain halls, duties, or testing rosters clearly shows who is or isn't vaccinated.

And that's on TOP of not really needing to be too careful with the information anyways. All of the covid testing and vaccination we do has endless reams of "belt and suspenders" consents and waivers because we're providing the vaccinations ourselves. As the provider in that situation there might possibly be some issues with protected information so the fine folks in legal (and in the CVS legal department) provide us with plenty of forms 'fixing' any potential issues.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 2, 2022

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Lib and let die posted:

I can't speak for larger demographic motivations, but Tucker is really the only personality with as large of an audience that, at least in recent years, has entertained anti-war guests and (whether he earnestly believes them or not) espouses anti-war narratives; now, I'm not under some misguided delusion that Tucker believes we shouldn't be mucking about in, say, Ukraine because that money would be better spent on socialized medicine, but my interest in what he (and by extension, his viewers are likely to) believe is wholly contained within "doesn't want to throw more money at the MIC."

Tucker's unmovable core is entirely centered around ethnostate nationalism, which creates a lot of potential variability in opinions about international affairs or war. What really matters to him is white people, so this can result in positions of interventionalism and internationalism (we must stand strong as a coalition to resist the tentacles of the perfidious chinese) and isolationism (i don't want our tax dollars spent on behalf of not white people abroad, i want it spent on white people at home) being taken even at the same time.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Biden is giving an address to announce his next big legislative push - A "Moonshot" program for cancer research.

Stealing plot points from West Wing again.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

Is Rachel Maddow saying it's none of our business? Are any of her guests? How about Mehdi Hasan? He saying it's none of our business? Any of his guests?

Tbf to Mehdi, he's had some good takes on twitter about Ukraine; for example:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1488965071799824387

I don't know if he says any of that on his show, though, since I've also cut the cable.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Kavros posted:

Tucker's unmovable core is entirely centered around ethnostate nationalism, which creates a lot of potential variability in opinions about international affairs or war. What really matters to him is white people, so this can result in positions of interventionalism and internationalism (we must stand strong as a coalition to resist the tentacles of the perfidious chinese) and isolationism (i don't want our tax dollars spent on behalf of not white people abroad, i want it spent on white people at home) being taken even at the same time.

Yup. I agree with your assessment of Tucker and his motivations. It's a major portion of why I think it's all part of some elaborate court jester bit, and it's a topic that Neil Postman explores in his book Amusing Ourselves to Death - that truth will not be concealed from us, but rather drowned out in a sea of irrelevance.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Majorian posted:

I don't know if he says any of that on his show, though, since I've also cut the cable.

I don't think it matters, because that's been largely a Russia point, not really a US one. Its just an excuse, of many excuses for their actions. Crimea wasn't about to become a NATO stronghold either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Probably Discord. Discord is loving chock to the gills with Nazis, Nazi-adjacent individuals, and Nazi recruiters. Hell, any nerdy shut-in teenager on the internet these days sits on the precipice of a straight vertical slide into white supremacy. All you need to do is start watching a few videos about nerd-oriented content on YouTube and within an hour the algorithm has landed you on some seig heiling Wolfenstein cosplayer's channel that's gonna teach them the 14 Words and gently suggest that "something should be done about" [insert minority here].

Steve Bannon showed folks the playbook and they've been out there like an evil version of the Catcher in the Rye, grabbing as many at-risk kids as they can and turning them into little fashy drones like these little pubes behind the bomb scare plot.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Well, technically, most people are watching the NBA or the NFL.

And the Kardashians

edit:

nine-gear crow posted:

Wolfenstein cosplayer's channel

I don't at all disagree with your post, but you do, uh, realize that Wolfenstein's whole thing is killing Nazis?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think it matters, because that's been largely a Russia point, not really a US one. Its just an excuse, of many excuses for their actions. Crimea wasn't about to become a NATO stronghold either.

Perhaps, but it's not like the U.S. has many cards to play on the issue. Zelensky himself already said it: if they're not getting into NATO (and they're not), NATO should say so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Majorian posted:

It's a difficult calculation. On the one hand, giving in to that 1 demand of Russia's might take off the pressure for the time being. On the other hand, it might be the exact "sign of weakness" they're waiting for to move forward and say "so what you gonna do about it?". Which is pretty much what they did with taking Crimea. It really could go either way as I see it.

It is taking the US's eye off the China ball, but not really by much. Ukraine not being in NATO, this entire concern about a war is still only a direct concern for Ukraine's military. The US only has to keep some brigades in the bordering NATO countries to completely prevent the conflict from escaping Ukraine. Which is what they are doing and have said they are doing. People keep drawing comparisons to the warmongering with Iraq and it just doesn't hold. NATO troops will not be dying in or even around Ukraine.

The US definitely should lay off the "imminent invasion" stuff cause that helps no one. If it's true they should just keep doing mostly what they've been doing on the ground with supplying more arms and moving staff/citizens out, but it would be better for diplomacy and Ukrainian stability for them to be quieter about it.