Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Couldn't hurt. Unless it does, in which case it wasn't my idea.

Can this be the new thread title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

It's a good title, and also good advice.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Batterypowered7 posted:

If it's any consolation, she got up after that and went back to the gym the next day.

E:

Starting week 4 of this program. The only thing that's sucked so far is that the temperature in the garage is like 35 degrees and I have poor circulation to my hands, so I have to wear gloves until I warm up or the bar makes my hands go numb.

Oh, and I really, really, really hate Nordic Hamstring Curls.

hello, i have this same exact problem. on the plus side, wearing gloves keeps my hands baby soft

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I can't practice the log press in my basement since the ceiling is very low so I have been doing it in my backyard where it's very very cold. I have found that hand warmers do a pretty decent job of warming things up. If it's really cold I have a cheap pair of Magpul shooting gloves that are thin and grippy enough that I can do some warmup sets without the fear of the log slipping and killing me

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I have found that hands being cold is very much an immediate problem, in that it's like "oh gently caress that's cold" and then you immediately don't notice anymore. At least to the point of frostbite or something

source: work out in super drafty unheated garage in this loving bitter winter we're having

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cold hands are a serious problem for my grip strength with deadlifts. Makes a real difference.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

My sister got me these stupid, overpriced grip pads for Christmas that I laughed at at first, like what am I a baby? But they're great for when the bar is freezing or when my calluses are hosed. I do a lot of supinated grip rows and they're a godsend for that. I'd been using straps a lot before out of necessity but I prefer these now.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I soft-started my cut last week, not tracking anything, and lost 2.5 lb so I've got a good idea what my caloric needs are. Today's my first day actually tracking my macros and how the gently caress am I supposed to eat 200 gr of protein a day?! I've been under shooting it by like 20%. Suddenly GOMAD seems sensible.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
How much do you weigh? It seems that consensus is shifting towards the idea that 1g/lb is on the high side of the confidence interval of what you need. You're not going to lose out on a ton of gains if you do like 0.75g/lb. Also how does that make GOMAD reasonable (I know you're probably being facetious, I just don't get what joke you're making). Whole milk is far from efficient when it comes to protein per total calories, that's why everyone gets fat doing it

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

So I'm going by the Macrofactor app and their base program says I need 197g at .8g/kg. I'm a big boi you see. And I wasn't thinking whole milk, but low fat milk is close to my macro ratio, I'm poor and a gallon is only like $3, and it'd cover 75% of my daily totals. I'm not actually considering it, I like to eat too much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Have a shake with a double scoop that’s like 50 right there.

1 cup of low fat Greek yogurt is another 20

That’s like a 1/3 right there.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Have a shake with a double scoop that’s like 50 right there.

1 cup of low fat Greek yogurt is another 20

That’s like a 1/3 right there.

Yeah, I double scoop my protein with a cup of whole milk for a cool 58gs.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I already have a shake but I'll probably choke down another.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I already have a shake but I'll probably choke down another.

Just make it a double shake a move on to something else. Getting 200 isn’t “easy” but it’s not that hard really.

1 lb of 90/10 ground beef is 90 grams eating a half a lb of ground beef is easy as hell. I’ll eat a 1lb for my lunch and it goes down easy.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Have you heard of my good friend Tilapia

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I don't eat meat so I'm already close to max powders I can stomach. And yeah it's not a big deal but did I say I'm poor? Whatever I do is gonna add to my food budget which kinda sucks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Buy fifty pound bags of flour and make seitan by hand

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

I don't eat meat so I'm already close to max powders I can stomach. And yeah it's not a big deal but did I say I'm poor? Whatever I do is gonna add to my food budget which kinda sucks.

Just meat or also eggs?

lentils? beans? chickpeas? You can get quite a good amount by making dishes with this, and it should be cheap to get bulk amount of it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lentils are an excellent addition to a high protein diet. Tasty, solid source of plant-based protein that keep your pipes flowing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Replace your rice with Quinoa.

I love Quinoa but my gut does not… at all.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

It’s really annoying that I’ve been drop dead tired going into my workout for three days straight, but now that I’ve hit a rest day my body wants to workout.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Concatenation posted:

Have you heard of my good friend Tilapia

More protein in the goon's diet, not more mercury.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MarcusSA posted:

Replace your rice with Quinoa.

I love Quinoa but my gut does not… at all.

The difference in protein amount between rice and quinoa is pretty negligible. If I was only worried about total protein, I would not switch to quinoa if I preferred rice. IMO if you want more proteins out of your normally starchy sides, the best switch to make is going from wheat to lentil/chickpea noodles. It's more expensive (but so is quinoa compared to rice) and it does taste worse but it has twice the protein, to the point that you're getting a non-negligible amount from your noodles.

feelix fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 2, 2022

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Batterypowered7 posted:

More protein in the goon's diet, not more mercury.

Mercury is an issue in apex predators, not vegetarian fish that are probably farmed

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I do tricep work twice a week and have mostly been doing it with pulleys, either over my head with the ropey thing or down at my waist with the metal V shaped thingy, though today I'm doing skull crushers.

Are any of these three kinda worse than the others and I should eliminate them from the rotation? Should I add something to the rotation, maybe with dumb bells?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I always thought ropey thing was horrible for your wrists, just seems like a bad idea

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

bird with big dick posted:

I do tricep work twice a week and have mostly been doing it with pulleys, either over my head with the ropey thing or down at my waist with the metal V shaped thingy, though today I'm doing skull crushers.

Are any of these three kinda worse than the others and I should eliminate them from the rotation? Should I add something to the rotation, maybe with dumb bells?
no, pick whichever exercises you like best and stick to them consistently so you can make progress in weight and/or sets and/or reps, and track that progress.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I always thought ropey thing was horrible for your wrists, just seems like a bad idea

Yep and squatting low is bad for your knees, and deadlifting is bad for your back, and in general lifting weights can't be good for you. SEEMS right, don't it?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Dumbbell Kickbacks are p cool for hitting the triceps. I think close grip bench hits 'em too. Maybe Overhead Pin Press?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
RE: Protein, another easy way to get in more is just drinking pasteurized egg whites, never done it myself but it’s basically the same as your average shake and supposedly tastes like sugar water.

I watched a Jeff Nippard video the other day that went over how much protein you can actually absorb in a meal and I think it was under 40g. I mean you’ll know you aren’t really absorbing any more when you get heinous gas.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Showed up at 6AM to find squat rack occupied by a guy doing barbell curls. gently caress off, mate.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thats funny I went to the gym at 5:45 to bicep curl in the squat rack so I wouldn’t bother anyone trying to squat, it’s always empty at that hour :buddy:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Thats funny I went to the gym at 5:45 to bicep curl in the squat rack so I wouldn’t bother anyone trying to squat, it’s always empty at that hour :buddy:

Lmao 'twas you!

I don't really mind if anyone wants to do barbell curls, but they have smaller fixed barbells in more curl appropriate increments on a weight rack far away from where I punish my butt. You don't even have to worry about swapping around bumper plates.

In other news I've resigned myself to being an elliptical guy after realizing my days of running 10k on concrete are really numbered. Shin splints are destroying me, and my city isn't exactly cyclist friendly (plus thats a money pit of a hobby/lifestyle).

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
2 dudes almost got in a fight today at the gym. Dude was doing 315lb squats and some other dude starts poo poo talking and proceeds to do 135lb shrugs lmao.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Poohs Packin posted:

Lmao 'twas you!

I don't really mind if anyone wants to do barbell curls, but they have smaller fixed barbells in more curl appropriate increments on a weight rack far away from where I punish my butt. You don't even have to worry about swapping around bumper plates.

In other news I've resigned myself to being an elliptical guy after realizing my days of running 10k on concrete are really numbered. Shin splints are destroying me, and my city isn't exactly cyclist friendly (plus thats a money pit of a hobby/lifestyle).
Rowing is the superior cardio.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CY21BZdJT_6/?utm_medium=copy_link

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

KingShiro posted:

2 dudes almost got in a fight today at the gym. Dude was doing 315lb squats and some other dude starts poo poo talking and proceeds to do 135lb shrugs lmao.

I think I mentioned it before but I almost got into a fight with a guy at the gym once cause he randomly came up to me and started curling and yelled "this is what a man looks like" and I burst out laughing and that was apparently not the reaction he wanted from me

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Behold the ultimate basement lift, kneeling ohp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcI8uy7A6bA

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Behold the ultimate basement lift, kneeling ohp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcI8uy7A6bA

*Goes for number 9* "Nope."

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Last set doesn't always mean best set. Calves looking on point, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Oh, that "Nope." on the last rep felt ever so familiar is all.