Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I've been away from this thread for some time. When did Mark Trail get hip?
I do appreciate there's still a 'random animal closeup' panel.

That's a long story, but I want to say it's been a couple of years now. The former Mark Trail artist, James Allen, had thoroughly established himself as a right-wing shithead, but the final straw was when he used the official Mark Trail twitter account to make sexually inappropriate jokes about a congresswoman. He was finally removed by the syndicate, and replaced by a new artist, Jules Rivera, who has introduced such radical ideas as "actually drawing everything instead of endlessly recycling clip art", and "updating the characters to not be quite so 1950s", and even "acknowledging the reality of things like climate change".

And that doesn't even get into how one of the last villains in Allen's run on the strip was based on one of the posters in this thread. Or how people mocking him on Twitter caused him to try actually drawing some of his own art instead of cut-and-pasting Jack Elrod's old sketches, with hilarious results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Powered Descent posted:

And that doesn't even get into how one of the last villains in Allen's run on the strip was based on one of the posters in this thread.

You left out the part where said villain was a Bigfoot/Yeti conspiracy nut, who claimed that said cryptid took his leg, but it was actually juvenile diabetes. Also, dude died in an avalanche. Alone. It was a fuckin trip.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

You left out the part where said villain was a Bigfoot/Yeti conspiracy nut, who claimed that said cryptid took his leg, but it was actually juvenile diabetes. Also, dude died in an avalanche. Alone. It was a fuckin trip.

Technically we don't know that he died, Mark and company did not look for him. At all. They just watched him run off and the avalanche and went "well, sucks to be him" and went home.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Mikl posted:

Sort-of relevant to the thread: Italian actress Monica Vitti died today; she played Modesty Blaise in the 1966 movie of the same name, adapted from the comic strip.

I've been thinking about doing something, and then you go and share this news. So, what the hell!

Modesty Blase: In the Beginning

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm starting to get concerned about qrai's relationship with food

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

This popped up on my youtube feed today. I'm halfway through it, and it's not terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ha2TDtuVsw

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

This one needs some explanation. Foxes, in Japanese mythology, are generally-malevolent trickster spirits with, among other things, the ability to possess people. Also, a fox's favorite food is fried tofu (the surest way to expose a fox is to let it smell fried tofu, so it loses its concentration and lets its tail show), and as a result noodles with fried tofu as a topping are called "fox-style noodles". So, today's comic is: Q-Rais sees what he thinks is an ordinary bowl of noodles, then notices it's topped with fried tofu and making fox sounds, and so realizes it's not an ordinary bowl of noodles, but is rather fox noodles, in this case not only just fox-style noodles, but literally noodles possessed by a fox.

yessss this is the kind of untranslatable nonsense that I crave

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love Q-Rais so much

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

CommonShore posted:

yessss this is the kind of untranslatable nonsense that I crave

rannum posted:

I love Q-Rais so much

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

["Snow huts" are called kamakura and are traditionally erected during the festival of the same name, which takes place on the first full moon of the year. Traditionally they contain alters lit to honour water kami in order to ensure a good rainfall in the coming year, but they're also really cozy to hang out in]

Bogor

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

This has always been one of my favorites, very specifically for the mermaid on our right.

Just look at her. She's delightful.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 14, 1952

Smooch Comics

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 21, 1919

Kidnapped byEverett True February 18, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 3, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 1, 1936

Mopsy October 9, 1937

Up Front November 15, 1944

Up Front November 29, 1944

Dark Laughter October 28, 1950

So It Seems April 15, 1952

Those Were the Days July 31, 1958

Wee Pals April 23, 1966

Dogbert November 29, 1966

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Transmodiar posted:

I've been thinking about doing something, and then you go and share this news. So, what the hell!

Modesty Blase: In the Beginning

Is this a special collection, or just the very earliest newspaper strips?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Crab Dad posted:

lol timely indeed

Yeah I was gonna say that's some incredibly serendipitous timing for that rerun.

I feel like I know where this is going and I hope it doesn't make her mad at him. :ohdear:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

This has always been one of my favorites, very specifically for the mermaid on our right.

Just look at her. She's delightful.

Can we get an avatar-sized version?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 16-17, 1934)

Peanuts (February 4-5, 1975)

Harry Dinklebean

Meanwhile, Crankshaft threatens us with a Les Moore crossover.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 2-3, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 7-9, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (September 9-11, 1918)

Dok's "Vicious Businessman" Duck (December 19, 1913; timg'd because I don't even know, man...)

Little Lefty's pen pal is revealed (for our purposes, anyway). (January 13-15, 1936)

Jacob Burck was a Polish-American political cartoonist and muralist who was active in the US Communist party (including The Daily Worker and The New Masses magazine) from 1926 to 1936. And this sequence is right at the beginning of '36! Wow, what a coincidence!

Well, the story is that Burck's trip to the USSR was the straw that broke the camel's back. He was in Moscow supervising the installation of one of his murals in the Intourist offices in Moscow, but it was the peak years of Stalin's "cult of personality", and the officials demanded a few too many "Stalin ROCKS!" changes in his work. Eventually he walked out on the job and the Communist movement.

Burck didn't do too badly for himself in the long run, though. Within a few years he started a highly influential, award-winning 44 year run with the Chicago Sun-Times, but his Red past made things highly uncomfortable during the McCarthy years. Because he never formalized his citizenship, the government tried (and failed) to have him deported.

Blondie (From Zero): Match called on account of parents. (August 13-15, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 3, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Slammy posted:

Oaky Doaks August 1, 1936

I'm not entirely sure here why the King wants to wear a woman's bathing suit.

quote:

Mopsy October 9, 1937

Feeling very irrationally angry that Gladys Parker has a better grasp of the rules of football than Tom Batiuk does.

quote:

Up Front November 15, 1944

I hope Bill Mauldin's OK.

quote:

Up Front November 29, 1944

And he was!

quote:

Well...relatively speaking anyway.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wait is the Mark Trail arc over? Did anything happen?

Vater und Sohn: The book of magic (50/1936)
(also the title of the book shown so I can save on translating)

The poem I mentioned with the last page was Das Gewitter (The Thunderstorm) by Gustav Schwab and you can read it here in the original German if you'd like.

Thanks!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 15, 1952

I don't understand what's happening here.

Slammy posted:

Shut the gently caress up, Beeman.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't understand what's happening here.

She's in pain because she's standing on the bus in heels, while he looks smug because he kept his seat.

He's sitting because his feet hurt, but everyone's looking at him in contempt because he didn't give his seat to the lady who obviously doesn't need it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Good thing these ladies all know the same man or there'd be nothing for them to talk about.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

THAT IS NOT HOW ICE CUBES WORK

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break

Old School Peanuts (May 4, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 2-3, 1990)

Calvin's rage face up there is fantastic.

No Blind Alley today

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Oh good another exciting round of discussing how Tiffany is a grotesque blob of hideous proportions when her character design is nearly indistinguishable from the pre-fat version.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Good thing these ladies all know the same man or there'd be nothing for them to talk about.

I'm hoping they move on from Wilbur for a while honestly

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

I assume "long distance" is somehow about the outhouse since there's no other reason for it to be there but beyond that I have no idea what joke he's getting at.

I wonder if Compu-Toon was always incomprehensible.
Nope, and it actually made me a little sad to see the first time I looked it up, because it gives me strong "Boyce's current work is baffling because of dementia" vibes. :smith:

90s Overboard is wearing out its welcome for me, so maybe I'll start posting 2001 Computoon instead.

2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

OK, so the ad producer guy is obviously supposed to be the villain(he works in advertising, so I won't argue with that), but is it really supposed to be shocking that an ad agency is going for looks over reality?

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Drakyn posted:

Xtreeem Mopsy

Very good

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Haifisch posted:

90s Overboard is wearing out its welcome for me, so maybe I'll start posting 2001 Computoon instead.

90s Overboard, while I still think it's better than the current version, is running a lot of jokes into the ground, so I can see how it'd get a little tiresome. The biggest thing I'd miss if it stopped getting posted is that I'm curious when all the talking animals came into the strip.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I want to call it a fraud thing. Can't be share price related as it all seems privately owned. Something to do with wiping out debts to suppliers, maybe? The company has never seemed flush with cash. Advanced money laundering?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

So what kind of tax scheme is this and which one of them is getting eaten by a shark?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: Kell saves the day (September 5-11, 2005)

Modern Kevin & Kell

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Fire Movie

(This whole chapter is really creepy to me; the way all of Shauna's friends got mind-controlled like that & the way they look pale and sick due to apparently eating only onions for the past how long is scary!)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/2/02

Brenda Starr 2/5-7/48

Who said "I wonder what's happening with Tornado?" Nobody? Too bad.

You'd be weak and exhausted too if you'd lost 100 pounds in, what has it been, half a week?

Smokey Stover 12/23/45

Everyday Movies 10/22/34

"It ain't a fair race -- I gotta stop for passengers, but you couldn't beat me on Sundays."

Bonus Ad!

If you're ever in Dallas, drop by Commerce Street and have a moderate highball with Hal!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, Crankshaft threatens us with a Les Moore crossover.

I can see it now: Les reads the book and tells her that murder mysteries don't sell, and what she really needs to do is a write a memoir about someone tragically dying of cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slammy posted:

What is with Beeman and his concern over his words being recorded and used against him in court? Why does this keep coming up? This is feeling like how the Onion political cartoons keep having things that are very personal treated as general concerns, but not a joke.