Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did not know about that systemd method. I also can't act like I know systemd but it is on my bucket list so I guess it's time I joined this new century with it instead of schroot.
Where I've used it so far is when I need to run a daemon in a chroot for library compatibility (but not isolation) purposes, and it works really well for that. Better than trying to figure out how to spawn a daemon in a schroot with sysvinit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

So I've been stuck on Lubuntu 18.04 for a while now, they converted everything to LXQt and don't support upgrades from 18.04. I'm not really married to Lubuntu and I like Xubuntu on one of my laptops just fine, so my thought is to sidestep the whole LXDE<->LXQt issue and jump ship for XFCE.
If you don't mind trying LXQt I'd probably just do an apt-get dist-upgrade and roll with it. I don't really care for LXDE vs. LXQt one way or another, but I do like Openbox as a window manager on my minimalist installs, and the ability to separately turn on/off the display compositor (Compton). So Lubuntu is the eaisest way for me to get an OpenBox+Compton system without just doing a bare install.

Anyways, your Openbox settings should carry over while you might have to reconfigure some of your desktop-session related stuff. Worse case you could always just install xubuntu-desktop after upgrading and it would be the same as if you had just done it from the get-go.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Right goons, I'm a complete Linux noob. I started farting about with distros about a month ago, trying out literally dozens in a VM and some on an Ivy Bridge-era laptop. I like desktop environments like Plasma (like Kubuntu or Ubuntu DDE) and Cosmic (Pop_OS!).

Anything without a baby's first steps GUI scares me. I like Ubuntu and most of its derivatives, but each distro usually has something in it that triggers my Windows brain.

The main thing that grinds my gears is that the close button on a maximised screen doesn't have an infinite target. Most distros have this on the top right like Windows, even if there's no global menu bar or whatever it's called at the top.

I know there are some customisations I can use to hack this into place, but from my understanding this often mucks up the appearance of close buttons and may not work. I know it might seem minor but it really sets my teeth on edge when it happens.

Any global solution, desktop environment or setting I can tweak to make my dreams come true?

I know keyboard shortcuts are an answer, but I'm a mouse man!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

the close button on a maximised screen doesn't have an infinite target. Most distros have this on the top right like Windows, even if there's no global menu bar or whatever it's called at the top.

I don't understand the "infinite target" part of that.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fitt's law style - it extends to the edge of the screen, so if you just mash your cursor into the corner it will hit the button.

(It's "infinite" because you can move your cursor as far as you want in that direction and it will never go past the button.)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you don't mind trying LXQt I'd probably just do an apt-get dist-upgrade and roll with it. I don't really care for LXDE vs. LXQt one way or another, but I do like Openbox as a window manager on my minimalist installs, and the ability to separately turn on/off the display compositor (Compton). So Lubuntu is the eaisest way for me to get an OpenBox+Compton system without just doing a bare install.

Anyways, your Openbox settings should carry over while you might have to reconfigure some of your desktop-session related stuff. Worse case you could always just install xubuntu-desktop after upgrading and it would be the same as if you had just done it from the get-go.

It isn't that I have some philosophical aversion to LXQt, it's more

Lubuntu 20.04 Release Notes posted:

Note, due to the extensive changes required for the shift in desktop environments, the Lubuntu team does not support upgrading from 18.04 or below to any greater release. Doing so will result in a broken system. If you are on 18.04 or below and would like to upgrade, please do a fresh install.

But perhaps moot as I think I've got things moved over to Xubuntu now. All the migration directions mention uninstalling lubuntu-desktop which I didn't have installed, I assume because this was originally installed as Lubuntu and that package would presumably only be present if you'd added it manually to a different flavor of *buntu. I did have something called lubuntu-core, so after installing xubuntu-desktop and temporarily enabling password login so I could select my session type I loaded into that and everything looked OK. Uninstalled everything I could find that started with lubuntu* and rebooted again, still good. Did a sudo apt do-release-upgrade and appear to be sitting at a regular Xubuntu 20.04 desktop :woop:

Computer viking posted:

Fitt's law style - it extends to the edge of the screen, so if you just mash your cursor into the corner it will hit the button.

(It's "infinite" because you can move your cursor as far as you want in that direction and it will never go past the button.)

I've never heard the term for it before, but 100% gently caress any GUI that doesn't do this. "Oh yes window, I want to be able to mouse past the physical X in the corner and use those last few pixels to be able to click on the regular title bar, I use that feature all the time." --a direct quote from nobody ever.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

All the migration directions mention uninstalling lubuntu-desktop which I didn't have installed, I assume because this was originally installed as Lubuntu and that package would presumably only be present if you'd added it manually to a different flavor of *buntu.
It's the opposite. All the different *buntu installers install the same underlying OS with a different -desktop package, so to switch between them you just install a different -desktop package.

Having lubuntu-core but not lubuntu-desktop installed means you didn't have all of the Lubuntu environment installed but enough to be functional for your purposes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

I've never heard the term for it before, but 100% gently caress any GUI that doesn't do this. "Oh yes window, I want to be able to mouse past the physical X in the corner and use those last few pixels to be able to click on the regular title bar, I use that feature all the time." --a direct quote from nobody ever.

100% gently caress that, I'm assuming it's a piece of cake for developers to code this and just a pain in the brain for toddler goons like me to fix. Any suggestions my peeps?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
We tend to get those design decisions because form-over-function is often chosen by 'UX designers'. It's yet another reason to not be mouse-centric, and use keyboard shortcuts instead.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So I guess we need to keep our syslogs for ten years.

Right now everything is logging to our RIN/SIEM

Should I just point everything to a new server, syslog.company.com and them forward to the RIN from there?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's the opposite. All the different *buntu installers install the same underlying OS with a different -desktop package, so to switch between them you just install a different -desktop package.

Having lubuntu-core but not lubuntu-desktop installed means you didn't have all of the Lubuntu environment installed but enough to be functional for your purposes.

I mean, I downloaded the ISO from Lubuntu's website and installed it as the sole OS :shrug: Now this was quite a few years ago so it's just as likely that terms and/or methods have changed in that time. Thinking back this might be a legit 10 year old install at this point.

vvv Right, I meant I installed Lubuntu and have been upgrading it for several years, not that I started with 18.04. The oldest files in my home directory are from August 2013, so whatever Lubuntu was out at that time is most likely where I started.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 30, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Takes No Damage posted:

I mean, I downloaded the ISO from Lubuntu's website and installed it as the sole OS :shrug: Now this was quite a few years ago so it's just as likely that terms and/or methods have changed in that time. Thinking back this might be a legit 10 year old install at this point.
Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu aren't different OSes. They're all the same release of Ubuntu with a different "live CD" environment and a different set of default installed packages.

(L)ubuntu 18.04 was released in April 2018, it's not ten years old.

Ubuntu installers and package management (apt) has largely been the same since the very first release back in 2004, having been based on Debian which was quite mature by that point. Sure the default desktop environments have changed and there's been some pretty significant changes to the core system between releases such that direct upgrades haven't always been fully supported (though would still generally work), but overall it's been fairly consistent.

If you wan to talk about an old install, I have a Debian install from 2008 that's been continually upgraded to the latest version. It is, admittedly, a bit janky at times but for the most part hasn't been an issue.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

So I've been stuck on Lubuntu 18.04 for a while now, they converted everything to LXQt and don't support upgrades from 18.04. I'm not really married to Lubuntu and I like Xubuntu on one of my laptops just fine, so my thought is to sidestep the whole LXDE<->LXQt issue and jump ship for XFCE.

In Googling around a bit, it sounds like I can simply sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop, reboot into XFCE and apt purge lubuntu-desktop.

Any obvious pitfalls I'm missing in the above? I'm assuming system config like my fstab file will be untouched? I have /home/ backed up to my NAS so it's not the end of the world to nuke and install fresh, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I’ve done it Ubuntu to kubuntu and had no issues. That was a while ago but I doubt much has changed.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

atomicpile posted:

I’ve done it Ubuntu to kubuntu and had no issues. That was a while ago but I doubt much has changed.

Yeah. Its been a while because I prefer a clean install + homedir transplant, but the ubuntu community solved changing subdistros at least a decade ago

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah. Its been a while because I prefer a clean install + homedir transplant, but the ubuntu community solved changing subdistros at least a decade ago

The process has gotten so slick either way that I have a hard time remembering the times I've done an in-place upgrade versus just doing a fresh install and keeping /home intact. The only minor headache I've found with the latter is OpenSUSE defaulting to installing LTR Firefox instead of current Firefox, but that's a quick and easy fix. Well, that and installing the handful of applications I use like other web browsers, Steam, and so on, but that's so fast and easy it barely registers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hi friends, it's me, clueless Windows boy who's faffing around with Linux distros on a laptop with little idea of what I'm doing. Enjoying just seeing the little itty bitty differences, and scratching my head about some design choices.

Anyhoo, I quite like this Majaro GNOME business, but I have a problem - just connected my Bose Bluetooth headphones to the laptop. It starts off playing audio well enough but within a minute or two it gets fuzzy, skips seconds and sound like a 4Kbps MP3 from Limewire or something. Is there any way to troubleshoot this or is it a crapshoot between different distros and whatever hardware it's connecting to?

I have tried different tracks on different local audio players, listening to music on YouTube and the same issue happens. Audio through the laptop speakers works as expected.

Edit: Ack, gently caress me. I was about to post that Pop!_OS had cured the problem. It certainly did much better than Manjaro, but it poo poo itself eventually. For reference, my dirty Pixel 6, Pixel 5, iPad Pro whatever and wife's iPhone 13 all handle the Bluetooth without issue, so I don't think it's the headphones.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hi friends, it's me, clueless Windows boy who's faffing around with Linux distros on a laptop with little idea of what I'm doing. Enjoying just seeing the little itty bitty differences, and scratching my head about some design choices.

Anyhoo, I quite like this Majaro GNOME business, but I have a problem - just connected my Bose Bluetooth headphones to the laptop. It starts off playing audio well enough but within a minute or two it gets fuzzy, skips seconds and sound like a 4Kbps MP3 from Limewire or something. Is there any way to troubleshoot this or is it a crapshoot between different distros and whatever hardware it's connecting to?

I have tried different tracks on different local audio players, listening to music on YouTube and the same issue happens. Audio through the laptop speakers works as expected.

Edit: Ack, gently caress me. I was about to post that Pop!_OS had cured the problem. It certainly did much better than Manjaro, but it poo poo itself eventually. For reference, my dirty Pixel 6, Pixel 5, iPad Pro whatever and wife's iPhone 13 all handle the Bluetooth without issue, so I don't think it's the headphones.

If you're still in the searching your linux distro phase, give Fedora 35 a try. It is most likely using a different audio handling stack than Majaro or Pop!_OS (that is, Fedora is using pipewire by default and odds are the other distros are still on pulseuadio). It may help. It may not. You can definitely install pipewire on those distros but I'm not familiar with them to know how easy or hard it will be.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you know what Bluetooth chipset you have? You should be able to use the command lsusb and see what it reports there if you don't already know.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do you know what Bluetooth chipset you have? You should be able to use the command lsusb and see what it reports there if you don't already know.

Thanks for the responses peeps. lsusb gives me:

quote:

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04f2:b3b1 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd TOSHIBA
Web Camera - HD
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 058f:6366 Alcor Micro Corp. Multi Flash Reader
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0930:021c Toshiba Corp. Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I think I tried Fedora and wasn't overly keen on it so if I can read about installing a different Bluetooth solution I'd like to try. Currently listening to music on Ubuntu 21.10 which I installed last night - it's solid so far.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
To the person asking about Linux tablets looks like this one might be up your alley if you're ok with ARM.

https://liliputing.com/2022/02/makers-of-the-jingpad-a1-are-selling-the-linux-tablet-for-45-percent-off-following-staffing-cuts.html

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for the responses peeps. lsusb gives me:

I think I tried Fedora and wasn't overly keen on it so if I can read about installing a different Bluetooth solution I'd like to try. Currently listening to music on Ubuntu 21.10 which I installed last night - it's solid so far.

I was kind of expecting to see some odd Broadcom chip there, but it does look like that is a relatively old Atheros chip. If Ubuntu is handling it fine then you could stick with that, or maybe try to figure out what looks different in the setup with Ubuntu compared to distros where it misbehaved.

As much as I am not a fan of Intel, I tend to go with their networking stuff due to generally good compatibility and support.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was kind of expecting to see some odd Broadcom chip there, but it does look like that is a relatively old Atheros chip. If Ubuntu is handling it fine then you could stick with that, or maybe try to figure out what looks different in the setup with Ubuntu compared to distros where it misbehaved.

As much as I am not a fan of Intel, I tend to go with their networking stuff due to generally good compatibility and support.

How would I figure out what looks different? Is there another website I should be bothering people on rather than making GBS threads up this thread?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there another website I should be bothering people on rather than making GBS threads up this thread?

you aren't bothering anyone, this is pretty much a hobbyist thread anyway

I'd be looking at version numbers to start with, as well as if the broken distros report details differently(lsusb -vvv for max verbosity) and if you can see anything fishy in dmesg/journalctl

the biggest problem with being a newbie in linux is that it generally takes a bit of digging and learning how things should be before you can really spot things being broken yourself, so feel free to spam this up. if you have a butt ton of text to paste maybe remember that pastebin exists

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I'd be looking at version numbers to start with, as well as if the broken distros report details differently(lsusb -vvv for max verbosity) and if you can see anything fishy in dmesg/journalctl

the biggest problem with being a newbie in linux is that it generally takes a bit of digging and learning how things should be before you can really spot things being broken yourself, so feel free to spam this up. if you have a butt ton of text to paste maybe remember that pastebin exists

Agreed.

I don't remember what package management tool Ubuntu uses, but one thing I did before replying was to open the package manager on my system and search on "Atheros" and "Bluetooth," and look at what packages I had installed versus what was available. I also did a Duckduckgo search on "Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth linux" to see what popped up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to get X forwarding on Kubuntu 20.04. I see that Xorg is starting with -nolisten tcp. Where can I properly change that flag on a Kubuntu system? Is there anything else I might have to screw with on a stock configuration?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to get X forwarding on Kubuntu 20.04. I see that Xorg is starting with -nolisten tcp. Where can I properly change that flag on a Kubuntu system? Is there anything else I might have to screw with on a stock configuration?

you shouldn't need to do that, if you just forward over ssh. get your xserver on your workstation running, use the -XY flags when you ssh in, and check if you have a $DISPLAY variable set.

E: If the configuration does actually have that disabled, then its going to be easier/better to use (no)VNC

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think I have the ssh settings correct for forwarding, but I also see xorg starting with -nolisten tcp. So is it really that much of a pain in the rear end to change that flag?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I think I have the ssh settings correct for forwarding, but I also see xorg starting with -nolisten tcp. So is it really that much of a pain in the rear end to change that flag?

there is more blocking it than just the one flag.

e: the only box I have gotten xforwarding working on recently, now that I think about it, is one without X actually running on it since its a server. I wanted virt-manager, told zypper to install it, and accepted the dependencies. it may not have pulled in a full DE, and its definitely not running in graphical.target

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 4, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm trying to learn Arch Linux in VMs. I'm behind a proxy and having trouble getting the network going. Been googling this for a few days and kind of hit a dead end.

In Arch Linux's installation, I can do this:
code:
export http_proxy=http://proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyipaddress:proxyport
export https_proxy=$http_proxy
export ftp_proxy=$http_proxy
export rsync_proxy=$http_proxy
export no_proxy="localhost,127.0.0.1,localaddress,.localdomain.com" 
timedatectl set-ntp true
timedatectl status
If I do pacman -Syy after this, it works fine. Installation-guide works, but ping does not.

If I complete the installation and repeat these steps, it no longer works - it says no network.

If I try these steps in Konsole in the Manjaro installation medium, it does not work. "error: failed to synchronize all databases (download library error)".

I also have access to a .pac script. If I put this into the settings of Firefox in the Manjaro installation medium, that works for websites in the browser. If I put this script into the network configuration, it does not work.

What am I missing here?

edit:
A step further. These variables are not accessible as sudo without -E:
code:
sudo -E pacman -Syu
Or like this:
code:
sudo bash
export http_proxy=http://proxyusername:proxypassword@proxyipaddress:proxyport
pacman -Syu
The Manjaro installer must then be called from terminal:
code:
sudo -E Desktop/calamares
Still confused why setting these in 'Configure Network Connections' isnt system-wide, or why some things can use those settings but others won't.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 4, 2022

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Not all tools, such as ping, will work through a http proxy. http is only one of many network protocols and a tool has to written to use http for it to work. ftp and rsync work because the community needed them to work from behind a http proxy and came up with additional specifications to make it an option (which must be implemented on both client and server ends). If you're internet feed is begind a proxy, I expect ping to fail on all of your machines, physical or VM.

By default, sudo runs the command in a clean root environment and doesn't pass through any system variables. The -E flag overrides that behaviour.

As to why 'Configure Network Connections' isnt system-wide, because using those settings has to be implemented at the individual application level and getting linux application developers to all do the same thing is like herding cats. Plus it's a security weakness for a program invoked as root to use proxy settings from an untrusted user, it's basically a way in to try and perform a man-in-the-middle attack. That said, it would be useful if there was an easier way to define as root a system wide default proxy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The technical reason behind it is that you need a layer 4 protocol to be able to stuff it through a HTTP/SOCKS proxy, whereas ping (or any ICMP traffic) is sort of in-between layer 3 and layer 4 because it requires IP encapsulation but isn't part of TCP, UDP, SCP or any transport layer protocol and doesn't have an notion of ports.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The "-nolisten tcp" option disables support for TCP connections to the X server, forcing applications to use X's Unix domain socket instead. All locally running applications should be using the Unix socket anyways, so unless you're trying to do something unusual (like run an application locally, but as a different user) you shouldn't need TCP, and it's generally considered a security risk.

SSH's X11 forwarding doesn't rely on TCP connections within X. Instead, any application you run remotely connects to the Unix domain socket provided by "sshd", which is then forwarded over the encrypted tunnel, after which "ssh" forwards to the Unix socket on your local machine. In recent years (past decade?) OpenSSH has provided two options for forwarding, "-X" which is allegedly more secure, and "-Y" which is less so, but is still fine as long as you're the only one running applications. Additionally, I believe Debian has disabled the extra security related with the "-X" option since many applications don't work correctly with it. Either way, try "-X" first and "-Y" after if "-X" doesn't work for you.

To answer your question though, the "-nolisten tcp" flag is specified in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc. If you're using kdm, it may be buried in another file but generally somewhere in /etc ("sudo fgrep -r nolisten /etc").

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

That said, it would be useful if there was an easier way to define as root a system wide default proxy.
/etc/environment ?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

/etc/environment ?
Yes, but it appears still to be a mess and not always used.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/175172/how-do-i-configure-proxies-without-gui

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The "-nolisten tcp" option disables support for TCP connections to the X server, forcing applications to use X's Unix domain socket instead. All locally running applications should be using the Unix socket anyways, so unless you're trying to do something unusual (like run an application locally, but as a different user) you shouldn't need TCP, and it's generally considered a security risk.
Thanks. I had that old-school notion. It looks like the real problem was that I was missing a few more settings in the SSHD configuration on the host itself. Furthermore, the application I was starting actually require running as root, and that required setting up its Xauthority.

What has also puzzled me during this whole process is that it all just worked fine in Windows with WSL1. I was using an Ubuntu 20.04 image there and didn't have to do anything more special than setting DISPLAY. That includes for this exact use case with this exact machine. Somehow that was able to forward without additional server-side changes. However, when I switch to a dedicated Kubuntu 20.04 machine, I have to suddenly tweak all these settings and run all of these commands.

I suppose another wrinkle is that it's a hell of a lot slower in the Kubuntu setup than the X-server that WSL touts. This is from my home office over a VPN in both scenarios. Then again, Internet could be crap today thanks to the big freeze in Texas. It's not like I tried the WSL setup side-by-side.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
One wrinkle I saw recently with proxy stuff was that web browsers don't like to play ball with those settings. I had to set up Chrome differently from Firefox, of which neither cared about the environment variables.

This machine I'm using is a work setup that is normally VPN'd but I could do some stuff off of VPN like package updates or less-strict office operations. However, I can't see a convenient way to switch the proxy around. It looks like I'd have to set up some scripts to set everything up and tear it down on invocation. This contrasts to Windows where it somehow just figures it out for the browsers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RFC2324 posted:

Thanks kind goon. I installed Endeavour OS which is another Arch-based distro. BT audio is perfect on this, but I really don't have a loving clue about the rest of the system. I really need to get reading how to install something as simple as a dock. I've been watching random YouTube videos and reading bits and bobs here and there, but I don't have any experience using the terminal etc. Like pastebin, who the gently caress is this?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Agreed.

I don't remember what package management tool Ubuntu uses, but one thing I did before replying was to open the package manager on my system and search on "Atheros" and "Bluetooth," and look at what packages I had installed versus what was available. I also did a Duckduckgo search on "Atheros AR3012 Bluetooth linux" to see what popped up.

I'm surprised Manjaro BT audio was bollocks and Endeavour OS is perfect, as they're both based on Arch. Although Pop is based on Ubuntu and the latter was perfect, the former hosed. Jesus Christ why am I doing this to myself!

I think I'll try Manjaro again and see about installing pipewire - that's the new hot poo poo, yeah?

Edit: Jesus gently caress, Manjaro is working perfectly now. I know Bluetooth is a stack (heh) of poo poo, but I had problems with Manjaro and then Pop!_OS one after the other - so why is this now sorted?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 4, 2022

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks kind goon. I installed Endeavour OS which is another Arch-based distro. BT audio is perfect on this, but I really don't have a loving clue about the rest of the system. I really need to get reading how to install something as simple as a dock. I've been watching random YouTube videos and reading bits and bobs here and there, but I don't have any experience using the terminal etc. Like pastebin, who the gently caress is this?

I'm surprised Manjaro BT audio was bollocks and Endeavour OS is perfect, as they're both based on Arch. Although Pop is based on Ubuntu and the latter was perfect, the former hosed. Jesus Christ why am I doing this to myself!

I think I'll try Manjaro again and see about installing pipewire - that's the new hot poo poo, yeah?

Edit: Jesus gently caress, Manjaro is working perfectly now. I know Bluetooth is a stack (heh) of poo poo, but I had problems with Manjaro and then Pop!_OS one after the other - so why is this now sorted?

I think your problem has less to do with being based on Arch and more with the differences between the default packages Endeavour and Manjaro install. I'm willing to bet that pipewire works where pulse audio is troublesome. Quick Googling showed me that pipewire is installed by default in Endeavour. I'd also advise you quit switching distros and just stick with whatever is working the best - I've found that most niggling problems can be solved without having to reinstall everything from scratch.

The terminal interface isn't tricky to learn - it just takes some patience and willingness. It's often faster and more intuitive when you know how it works. If you're interested, I recommend reading The Linux Command Line - https://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php, but you can certainly use Linux without getting into the terminal.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What has also puzzled me during this whole process is that it all just worked fine in Windows with WSL1.
Maybe WSL has the equivalent of "xhost +", which is to say it just works but is completely insecure.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I suppose another wrinkle is that it's a hell of a lot slower in the Kubuntu setup than the X-server that WSL touts.
The X11 network protocol is really inefficient. It was designed in the 80s for use over LANs with machines that had a pittance of memory compared to today.

Your Kubuntu Xorg instance probably has a bunch of extensions enables that result in high-bandwith pixmaps going over the connection and so it's slower than if it were using a less capable set of features.

In general X11 forwarding isn't recommended for WAN connections. Alternatives are NX or X2go which are based on X11 but solve a lot of the inefficiencies. There's also VNC and RDP which were designed to run over slower connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I'd also advise you quit switching distros and just stick with whatever is working the best - I've found that most niggling problems can be solved without having to reinstall everything from scratch.

while its true most problems can be fixed without distrohopping, by discouraging it you a denying a formative part of a linux newbies experience. Part of learning linux is doing the distro hopping song and dance for a few years while you learn linux itself because all you are actually picking up are things that most distros share, realizing that its wasting a bunch of time, writing a bunch of scripts to migrate configs from flavor to another automagically, realizing that that too is a waste of time, and finally settling on a fedora or opensuse.

if you have settled on an apt based distro, you are still learning what doesn't suck :smugbert: