Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Elfface posted:

Tanjiro's inner monologue willing himself to keep moving is the equivalent of Goku screaming and charging energy.

Maybe in ten years or so we'll get a Demon Slayer Kai.

The entirety of Demon Slayer reduced down to a single movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Speaking of DBZ, something I love about Demon Slayer is that Tanjiro keeps end of fight leveling up and it never matters. He blended his styles together and he was like "yes! Of course!" And then everyone died.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tanjiro inner monologues are good because they demonstrate the poor kid is in a constant state of having to cheerlead himself. He's crushingly aware he's barely keeping up and is endlessly fighting doubt or sometimes reality with, "It doesn't matter if you can, you have to."

Which is way more inspiring and empathetic than Goku's "I'm god, raaaaaa." But in his defense, I don't think Goku is capable of internal monologue.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Goku has three emotional states

“Whoa! You’re strong I want to fight you”

“Hey, that’s my friend you’re hurting”

“Can I eat this?”

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
goku is almost always having fun

tanjiro is almost never having fun

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I like Tanjirou's inner monologues. He's got the cadence of a swolebro trying to grind out that last rep.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Now every time I see a dude bro working out I'm gonna assume he's thinking, "I couldn't do this if I was the second son!"
And my life will be better for it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can't believe this only just occurred to me, but adapting the end of Kimetsu no Yaiba as an anime movie has to be a license to print absolutely absurd amounts of money right? Mugen Train did huge business, and I feel like adapting the final chapters as a movie could do that as well and basically be a pure action sprint while also throwing more time/budget at the animation to make it really amazing.

If they do that right, I think the end product is an all-time Shonen movie classic that's going to be really hard to top. Mugen Train's already way up there near the top of that Shonen anime movie list, if it isn't already there.

A nice upside is that there's enough story before that point that god willing COVID is under control by then and isn't hampering the movie business.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

christmas boots posted:

Zenitsu is so much cooler when he’s unconscious.

Does that eventually become his entire persona, or is it a gimmick?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

LorneReams posted:

Does that eventually become his entire persona, or is it a gimmick?

What does your heart and knowledge of shonen storytelling say?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I'll just say this arc the last time we see Zenitsu sleepfight.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Conspiratiorist posted:

Oh, so that's why people say it's the best battle in the manga

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I think the last few arcs had terrible pacing problems and could be served better by getting expanded out.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The one (minor) thing I disliked about the newest episode was how slow Inosuke's final attack felt.

Like, I'm not expecting Zenichi levels of speed but it didn't feel like he was actually charging ahead with all his strength.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
While Zenitsu is insufferable most of the time, his reactions to the things Tengen says have been on point, especially right after the 3 wives announcement.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I sort of hope they take this chance to expand on the last portion of the (manga) story because, while I still liked it a lot simply because it was well made, it was still rushed massively in terms of characterizations and story and could be developed further.

We've barely gotten to know the rest of the Hashira in the manga and we've just seen glimpses of the other upper moons when suddenly the last arc starts and everyone is killing everyone for a hundred chapters and suddenly Muzan appears out of nowhere and the final boss battle begins and stuff just sort of snowballs at an insane pace. The last "arc" is less of an arc and more of a free for all brawl for everyone

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dipwood posted:

While Zenitsu is insufferable most of the time, his reactions to the things Tengen says have been on point, especially right after the 3 wives announcement.

It's the thing with Zenitsu. He's really fun when he's the grounded, common sense part of the trio, reacting to how bizarre everyone else is. He was also fun when he called out Inosuke for not understanding what a train is and wanting to challenge the thing to a race, for instance.

He's intolerable when he's screaming in fear and being extremely horny, which is sadly most of the time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

zenitsu would've been great if his character had been "way too serious and grounded for an action anime" all the time

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

marumaru posted:

zenitsu would've been great if his character had been "way too serious and grounded for an action anime" all the time

"I'm the only serious character in this show. That's the joke."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Isn't that Tanjiro though

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Tanjiro has 'headbutt' as a default response to threats.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Tanjiro is also beautifully people stupid.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

He's intolerable when he's screaming in fear and being extremely horny, which is sadly most of the time.

I've got good news for you.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

marumaru posted:

I'm sorry to inform you that Zenitsu is actually the best character in this series.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I sort of hope they take this chance to expand on the last portion of the (manga) story because, while I still liked it a lot simply because it was well made, it was still rushed massively in terms of characterizations and story and could be developed further.

We've barely gotten to know the rest of the Hashira in the manga and we've just seen glimpses of the other upper moons when suddenly the last arc starts and everyone is killing everyone for a hundred chapters and suddenly Muzan appears out of nowhere and the final boss battle begins and stuff just sort of snowballs at an insane pace. The last "arc" is less of an arc and more of a free for all brawl for everyone

Yeah, this is the rare anime that seems like it'd benefit a lot from filler, especially if they get the mangaka to consult on it or properly write new stories for the anime so it doesn't veer into dragon ball GT territory.

The anime is doing gangbusters business, and you could certainly add material into it without harming where the story is going. I can think of at least two solid places where they could plug in a whole 22 episode cour out of whole cloth and things could still hold up.

I'm not expecting that to happen, or if it does maybe it'll be done with random movies that'll take place at various points in the timeline after full story's been animated. That's probably the more traditional path to take, and getting a mangaka on board to write up a movie-level of content (and their share of the ridiculous movie payday) has got to be an easier ask then "hey, write or consult on our massive full season of anime story please and thank you. Also we need 20 new cool characters, ranging from minor to major, so if you have any ideas there we could use them!"

I just want all the Kimetsu no Yaiba I can get, and since it seems like the pacing would benefit from adding in more to the story before the big finish I think it'd also result in a better overall anime as well once the manga's full story has been animated.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Oh, so that's why people say it's the best battle in the manga

I think it's in the running for best battle so far at this point in the manga, but I definitely think there's better battles ahead.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 8, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My favorites are this and Upper Moon 1.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Conspiratiorist posted:

I've got good news for you.

I will celebrate and do a little dance if he gets murdered. Please let him die. He can come back as a zombie or a demon or whatever, idc. Just no more screaming.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There are a few plot elements that get straight up dropped that I'd love to see realized.

And then a minor one that's probably not important, but I wanna know since they chose to flashback to it at least twice. WHO'S YOUR DRAGONFLY FRIEND, INOSUKE?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That sure was a loving episode of anime. My god, that fight scene was so well done.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

episode 10 is out? where?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Why can't Tanjiro just have something nice happen to him?

Elfface posted:

Tanjiro has 'headbutt' as a default response to threats.

Hey, if it works and repells boars.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The animation and VA this week are just astounding, definitely an amazing episode to end the series with.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:drat:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ok it should be illegal to end episodes like that.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That after-credits stinger was so wrong I had to laugh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Upper Six Demons It's kind of amazing how they managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of Victory.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inosuke: But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not NORMAL!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Electric Phantasm posted:

Haha, that's exactly the line I thought of when that happened.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Electric Phantasm posted:

I am totally immune to poison I say as I cough up blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am totally immune to poison I say as I cough up blood.

jokes on you I actually love being poisoned and my mouth isn't filled with bloodm, it's victory wine