Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Marc Marquez slight concussion has now turned into surgery for his eye in a similar procedure he had in Moto2.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/993847/1/marc-marquez-will-need-patience-delicate-eye-injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really, really hope it doesn't end like this.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Skreemer posted:

Marc Marquez slight concussion has now turned into surgery for his eye in a similar procedure he had in Moto2.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/993847/1/marc-marquez-will-need-patience-delicate-eye-injury

From what I've read, this surgery is not something they normally do and is a total crapshoot. Normally, it's something they just tell people to deal with.

Apparently, the surgeon goes in there, shortens things up (tendons?) and they hope for the best.

Yikes.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Puig posted:

Because this is not like when many riders crash and they put a plate and race the next week.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget just how ridiculous what the racers are doing is. I’ve had surgery where they knock you out a couple times and every time I’ve been wrecked by the anesthesia to say nothing of the injury itself. I can’t imagine being like “yes, let’s get on the bike and race tomorrow.” So it puts Marquez’s injury into perspective, I think, when they say “nope, not until next year if we’re lucky.” I don’t mind if this is how he goes out instead of slowly declining like Rossi. Just a clear indication that he could still win, even when he only had one arm, and then done.

Of course, it’s definitely a better story if he comes back. I’m still hoping he one day learns to lean into being the villain so maybe he comes back, is the hero for a year and then doesn’t win because the other guys are fast and that’s what pushes him over the edge. He hires Lorenzo as his fashion consultant and mentor…

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I want to get back into following MotoGP but with Rossi retired I need to pick a new favourite. I kind of like Quartararo and Mir, but don't really know enough to pick one. Please to make a case for who I should stan. Bonus points if they're Italian.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I want to get back into following MotoGP but with Rossi retired I need to pick a new favourite. I kind of like Quartararo and Mir, but don't really know enough to pick one. Please to make a case for who I should stan. Bonus points if they're Italian.

neither are full I think quatararo is kinda but he definitely identifies full on french. good italian lads rn are mostly on ducatis.
don't sleep on the half brazilian half italian morbidelli though he's great and mostly just unlucky compared to quatararo's routine headcase problems

also don't let Martin being Spanish blind you that guy is fun to watch

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I never root for Spaniards. Whatever happened to Lorenzo? Watching FASTEST, it seemed like they were setting him up to be the next Vale, but he's completely disappeared.

The factory Suzuki team are doing pretty well lately, aren't they? As a Gixxer guy I always found it strange that they made such good bikes but put no effort into their MotoGP team, but didn't Mir win the title on one last year, or am I misremembering?

EDIT dammit Mir is Spanish.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 8, 2021

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I never root for Spaniards. Whatever happened to Lorenzo? Watching FASTEST, it seemed like they were setting him up to be the next Vale, but he's completely disappeared.

The factory Suzuki team are doing pretty well lately, aren't they? As a Gixxer guy I always found it strange that they made such good bikes but put no effort into their MotoGP team, but didn't Mir win the title on one last year, or am I misremembering?

got mad at yamaha, went to ducati for a payday, started getting good on it right as they cut him and he went to honda and broke his back just as he was getting fast on it. gave it up there two seasons ago and frankly seems happy enough even if he would clearly like to be racing

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Mister Speaker posted:

EDIT dammit Mir is Spanish.

Lorenzo won 3 championships with Yamaha. Then he switched to Ducati and by the time he got fast on it, he had signed with Honda for the next season. With Honda he had a scary back injury and decided collecting super cars was more fun so he retired. The only guy to beat a healthy Marc Marquez for the championship. FASTEST was a decade ago man

Suzuki is doing well, until last season a lot of people thought they had the most balanced bike on the grid but other makes moved past them. Mir won 2020 on great consistently but rarely won races. Alex Rins is fast when he doesn’t crash.

If you want an Italian to root for, who wins on an Italian bike, was 2nd in the championship this year and ripe to be competitive for years to come, AND has a fun name, Francesco “Pecco” Bagnaia is your boy.

Morbidelli is good but was injured this year. I’m hoping he picks up in ‘22 more like he was in ‘20 when he was fast on an old bike. He seems like a genuinely good guy and very likable.

Enea Bastiannini was almost rookie of the year this year. He’ll be on old machinery again next year but should be fast on occasion.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bastianini will have dovi's old crew chief next year so look out for him.

I don't think bagnaia will ever have a season as strong as the one just gone, even if Marc never comes back.

My pick of the Italians is definitely morbidelli, bastianini if he ever gets on a current bike.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Why don't you think Pecco will have a good season next year? He's going to go into it with a lot of confidence and Ducati is looking pretty great.

I personally want to see Morbidelli do well next year. Not holding my breath though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think he's the type that is insanely fast when the stars align but bottles it completely when they aren't. I think the particular matrix of machine, tyres, electronics and general circumstances prevailing this season will never prevail again and he'll spend years going in circles trying to recapture that form.

Don't get me wrong, ge's likely to do well and even win races, but I'm willing to bet 2021 will be his highest career points total.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I watched the stupid netflix f1 show and then the last two f1 races and holy poo poo, that is just garbage racing compared to motogp. I promise never to complain about anything motogp related ever again (until I forget and/or marquez forgets that he's supposed to be leaning into being the villain and yamaha is bad again and it's just six ducatis lapping everyone).

e: in fairness, it's better in terms of entertainment than motogp but in terms of racing it's just utter trash.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Watch MotoGP for the racing, watch read about F1 for the drama.

I don't root for anyone in particular, but I enjoy seeing someone other than the usual suspects win. My favorite races were Miller winning in Spain because he was so happy about it (and he seems like a genuinely cool guy), and Binder winning in Austria after his brass-balls gamble paid off.

Some day I want to see Nakagami at least get a podium finish. He always seems to have good pace at the start of races then flames out halfway through. I don't know if he's just pushing too hard at the start and doesn't manage his tires, or if he just doesn't have the physical and/or mental stamina to keep going at the same pace.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 13, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

F1 race structure:

Warmup lap
Race start
Red flag
Race start
Pit stop
Safety car
Pit stop
Finish line
Result dispute
Dispute meditation
Appeals
Appeal litigation
Rules amendment

It is garbage for morons who worship people who measure things for a living.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

F1 race structure:

Warmup lap
Race start
Red flag
Race start
Pit stop
Safety car
Pit stop
Finish line
Result dispute
Dispute meditation
Appeals
Appeal litigation
Rules amendment

It is garbage for morons who worship people who measure things for a living.

Yeah, turns out this is correct.

Collateral Damage posted:

Watch MotoGP for the racing, watch read about F1 for the drama.

I don't root for anyone in particular, but I enjoy seeing someone other than the usual suspects win. My favorite races were Miller winning in Spain because he was so happy about it (and he seems like a genuinely cool guy), and Binder winning in Austria after his brass-balls gamble paid off.

Some day I want to see Nakagami at least get a podium finish. He always seems to have good pace at the start of races then flames out halfway through. I don't know if he's just pushing too hard at the start and doesn't manage his tires, or if he just doesn't have the physical and/or mental stamina to keep going at the same pace.

I think the Honda has two disadvantages. 1. It’s Honda so their engineers don’t care about what riders say. 2. They made a bike that Marquez could ride.

I’ll be really curious to see how they deal with that now that Marquez seems to be permanently injured. Hopefully he comes back from the eye but I don’t know that he’ll ever be an ambi-turner again. Might not need to be to win another championship though. I don’t think we’ve seen anyone new that’s as good as he is yet. (Or Lorenzo or Rossi were when they were fighting it out).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Welp, I was wrong: the crazy bastards did it, although I can still provisionally be right because they might not be able to produce enough of them, or there might be some as-yet hidden fatal flaw.

https://twitter.com/gponedotcom/status/1472996990619303937/photo/1

Easily the best looking electric bike ever and it makes me wonder what the battery setup is, because it doesn't look like a bike wrapped around an air conditioner unit like every other electric.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
where did they put the desmodromic valve system

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Not that I don't believe it but... I'm skeptical.
https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/01/13/marc-marquez-back-on-a-motorcycle-as-his-recovery-advances/403778

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like, if they don't 'fix' it somehow then he's just one free practice crash away from retirement

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Marky Mark cleared for test
https://twitter.com/hrc_motogp/status/1486262982451634177

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Is it race season yet? Come onnnnnn

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

"the treatment has been a complete success"
~*doubt*~

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

One arm and double vision surely equals out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Foreigner posted:

Fill my eyes with that double vision, no disguise for that double vision
Ooh, when it gets through to me, it's always new to me
My double vision gets the best of me

Never do more than I really need
My mind is racing, but my body's in the lead
Tonight's the night, I'm gonna push it to the limit
I live all of my years in a single minute

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I feel like there's a 20% chance Marc will win the 2022 championship and an 80% chance he won't finish it at all.

Nothing in between.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why not both? Mick doohan did it

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pej8bNLxuE
good clip from the rossi interview. i really need to watch the full thing it's gotta be the best setting i've heard him speak english in and can actually understand him without the captions.
starts off about the supersic crash but mostly is about vr46 both the academy and the brand

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Looks like Viñales is fastest man on track at Sepang.

https://twitter.com/motogp/status/1488855973410349059

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I was hoping for a new testing champ but sure why not get hopes up about the aprilia

Kanye East
Jul 7, 2006
The real testing begins on Saturday 5 February. At the moment Binales is only beating rookies, test riders and the other Aprilia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Binales binning pirro is semi notable I guess, it implies the priller is at least in the ballpark of the other bikes.

Far more interesting is pirro running the gonzo long pipe on both bikes imo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Disappointed the hashtag is not #SepangShebang

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Chris Knight posted:

Looks like Viñales is fastest man on track at Sepang.

https://twitter.com/motogp/status/1488855973410349059

God its gonna be the same old story with him isn't it

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

God its gonna be the same old story with him isn't it

It'll be completely different this time, there will be loads of races where he gets to a podium position and his bike breaks down

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Does Aprilia even have a start device? I think with 8 Ducatis on the grid the idea that Maverick won't instantly lose at least like 7-8 places on any given start from the front row seems spurious at best.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Aprilia has the most developed shape shifter outside of Ducati, they were the first to automate corner exit squatting iirc. And they bike is honestly fast enough now - my metric for this is: would two armed, two eyed Marc win races on it? And the answer is definitely yes as of last season.

Their biggest issues will be continued reliability problems, and team/strategy issues as they're now going to be a stand alone factory team and have to teach a bunch of new people a bunch of new stuff while simultaneously expanding their operation significantly. So I'd expect to see tyre strategy gently caress ups, binales setting the fastest pace of the race after qualifying last, that kind of thing.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Marc could win on it for sure but I just think Vinales shoots himself in the foot and is too much of a basket case during the races far too often to ever be in contention for a podium with Aprilia. Like you said, its a new team learning as they go, this isn't the ultra stable Yamaha that's been around for years and know their bike inside out. I think Aleix may get lucky a few times this year but I will be shocked if past lap one we see Vinales running in podium positions

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Trailer is out for the Amazon MotoGP series:

https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1493979237228941317

https://youtu.be/FgbSIOaw4Ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Just 30 hours of fawning marquez footage. :allears:

I am still excited about it.