Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SubG posted:

So walk me through what the comic is supposed to mean.

This isn't a zinger or anything, I'm actually trying to figure out what the gently caress Lester is trying to say.

I think he's losing it, a bunch of his cartoons have been incomprehensible lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OK he has a twitter

https://twitter.com/MikeLester/status/1488546023345692678?cxt=HHwWjIC5lZeusKgpAAAA

https://twitter.com/MikeLester/status/1488563757638991878?cxt=HHwWjIC--bm2uKgpAAAA

I think he's criticizing her for both-sidesing the Holocaust (an actual correct complaint for once, although obviously only because he gets a chance to attack a black celebrity), and I guess the Hatfields and McCoys are there to be offended that she's dismissing the Holocaust as just two groups of white people fighting

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."
I'm actually surprised that Ted's not verified on Twitter, but I hope he stays that way because I know it's something he's unbelievably pissed off about.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

VitalSigns posted:

OK he has a twitter

https://twitter.com/MikeLester/status/1488546023345692678?cxt=HHwWjIC5lZeusKgpAAAA

https://twitter.com/MikeLester/status/1488563757638991878?cxt=HHwWjIC--bm2uKgpAAAA

I think he's criticizing her for both-sidesing the Holocaust (an actual correct complaint for once, although obviously only because he gets a chance to attack a black celebrity), and I guess the Hatfields and McCoys are there to be offended that she's dismissing the Holocaust as just two groups of white people fighting
Okay, that kinda makes "sense" in that Lester's just come up with a connection between these two things in his head, and then the comic is basically sly allusion to that connection. It's like an in-joke for all the people living in Mike Lester's head.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Mike Lester is incredibly stupid but he's also really smug about it. He throws out this complete gibberish with the confidence of someone who just scored a major "gotcha!" and somehow that makes him so much more annoying to me.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lalo Alcaraz

Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Steve Benson

Stuart Carlson

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Clay Jones

Jack Ohman

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Rob Rogers

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Tony Branco

quote:

San Fran Nanny
Nancy Pelosi says she’s running for reelection again in 2022 because of the children.
Man, is there a stronger proponent of communism out there than Nancy Pelosi?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Trump feeling ashamed of his words and deeds.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Twelve by Pies posted:

That Lester seems to be the prime candidate to be nominated for most incomprehensible for 2022.

Treat this as a Kellies nomination, most incomprehensible, by Twelve by Pies.

Raised By Birds posted:

Tony Branco

Man, is there a stronger proponent of communism out there than Nancy Pelosi?

And I Kellies nomination this for worst label.

Several great thread title options here.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

INDOC-
TRINA-
TION

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Murdstone posted:

INDOC-
TRINA-
TION

Oooh I like riddles, this must mean:
"the in-house medical carer, whose name is Trina, is a member of The Institute of Optimum Nutrition"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Twelve by Pies posted:

I went into my local deli and asked for a copy of My War With Brian and they said they didn't have books, can't believe my deli is a bunch of loving fascists banning books like that. - things Ted Rall literally believes

You motherfucker.

That is Ted's stupid point, the book being removed from the curriculum (by a board of idiots, over the protests of the actual teachers), but the book is still available to students by any means books are normally available, it just won't be at the school any more, and it is absurd to say a book is "banned" because it is not available literally anywhere.

Ted Rall sucks and is deliberately missing the point because he is nothing if not tedopic, but you are missing his missing of the point.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

meawhile in the real world:

https://twitter.com/jherrerx/status/1488957981547020288?s=20&t=8zpK1kalgqpHVaNoVwITwQ

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Are those the robot dogs that can easily be deactivated from the front by pulling the battery compartment open?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This future sucks

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You motherfucker.

That is Ted's stupid point, the book being removed from the curriculum (by a board of idiots, over the protests of the actual teachers), but the book is still available to students by any means books are normally available, it just won't be at the school any more, and it is absurd to say a book is "banned" because it is not available literally anywhere.

Ted Rall sucks and is deliberately missing the point because he is nothing if not tedopic, but you are missing his missing of the point.

Rall's point is nonsense though. Removing access to a thing for an ideological reason is completely different than not having it in the first place, removing it for reasons of poor performance, or only carrying it for a limited timeframe.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Raised By Birds posted:

Tom Stiglich

That kid looooooves death.

I saw this 5 pages ago and I'm still amazed. So, Gun Rights Activists just want to legally murder someone. I thought it was anti-gun the first time I read it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Rall's point is nonsense though. Removing access to a thing for an ideological reason is completely different than not having it in the first place, removing it for reasons of poor performance, or only carrying it for a limited timeframe.

We're not banning the teaching of evolution we're just not teaching it. We aren't teaching isiXhosa grammar in our middle school either why aren't you calling that a ban, checkmate snowflakes!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My read on Rall’s tweet was that stores, and Capitalist by its very nature, “ban” books based on profit potential. Since books costs money to print and order, the market soft-bans books it doesn’t find profitable.

Which, is an interesting conversation, but just comes off as him trying to minimize the potential harm of banning school library books on very specious reasoning to mask their real intent. All because he harbors a loving thirty-year grudge against one man.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I understand why removing Maus is bad and why Rall's take is stupid as wrong. My post was intended as comically exaggerated anger at having to explain a Ted Rall point, but I think it ended up coming off as actually defensive, mea culpa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Raised By Birds posted:

Tony Branco

quote:

San Fran Nanny
Nancy Pelosi says she’s running for reelection again in 2022 because of the children.

i gotta say i always love his comments at the bottom because it seems like he's going to go into an garrison-esque blog post where he explains the cartoon and points out whatever news story its referring to, maybe justify the more outlandish takes he has. But no, its just a one sentence description of the image.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Going to all the trouble of drawing Nancy Pelosi opening up a kid's head and it's not about her scooping out the adrenochrome smh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Branco is like a very lovely Ben Garrison knock off and Zyklon Ben is garbage to begin with so :laffo:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

My read on Rall’s tweet was that stores, and Capitalist by its very nature, “ban” books based on profit potential. Since books costs money to print and order, the market soft-bans books it doesn’t find profitable.

Which, is an interesting conversation, but just comes off as him trying to minimize the potential harm of banning school library books on very specious reasoning to mask their real intent. All because he harbors a loving thirty-year grudge against one man.

I'm not sure that's something that can be blamed on capitalism. Making physical copies of books takes time and resources, and then you need space to keep all of those books. It's just not realistic for every book store to carry every book at all times eventually they're going to need to make some space and it just makes sense that the books that aren't going to end up being stocked are the ones people don't want. I'm not seeing how this problem could be solved any better under any other system.

Libraries are kind of solution to this, and also very important facilities, but still being able to obtain a book through the library doesn't mean that book is available at all stores at all times. Another thing that's kind of a solution is the internet, thanks to online databases any book can be made publicly made available to any time to any one at any location, but.....wait, why ISN'T this a total solution what Ted Rall was complaining about?

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Alhazred posted:

"Holocaust was about ethnicity, not race" seems like the dumbest loving hill to die on considering that the nazi sure did believe that is was about race:

So, just for some further context... You're absolutely correct, but it's even worse than that; The Nazis were the ones who decisively effected the Jewish transition from ethno-religious group to racial group. Jews had been maligned and persecuted in Europe since the Romans conquered the Levant ( first for their rebellious streak against Rome, and later - and utterly falsely - for being responsible for the death of Jesus ), but there had been a way out by converting to Christianity. If you converted, and most importantly, could demonstrate that you had converted, then you would - in theory - escape. Part of what made the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from Spain so devastating was that their children were taken from them and forcibly converted.

But at least they were alive. Later on, several Jewish communities either sought protection by isolation or assimilation; either living in designated Ghettos, where, at least, they had each other and a community that would come to their aid, or by being as 'non-Jewish' as possible. Of course, it didn't really work all that well, for there were always pogroms, and you were never truly safe, but these were still ways in which life as a Jew in Europe could be less terrible, and even relatively secure. And if you were driven out - and not a victim of the mob - you could maybe find another place to settle for however long you could.

With the Nazis, there was nothing like that. There was no saving oneself by conversion, by isolation, by assimilation, or even by leaving; If you were a Jew, they wanted you dead. Cultural genocide is still genocide, but the Nazis made 'being a Jew' not about culture or religion, but about blood and genes. They took crackpot social Darwinism from the UK, coupled that with Americas worst eugenics-, segregation- and miscegenation-laws, lashed it together with good old addlepated and paranoid general German inferiority complexes and revanchism, and turned all of that on the Jews of Europe and made them into a race. The process had started in the late 1800's, but the Nazis went absolutely all in on it and completed it in about a decade.

All of which is to say that Whoopi Goldberg is still wrong. But she's wrong in a slightly more complicated way.

God only knows what the gently caress Lester is doing in that cartoon, though.

TLM3101 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 3, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I mean, bookstores carry Maus, so while there is a wider discussion to be had about how free communication can be when mass communication is put through a profitability filter before most people can access it, it clearly isn't what happened here, and the pearl-clutchers banning it from classrooms because it has a cuss in it certainly aren't for radical artistic freedom.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

goddammit i read this in the dankmus way

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Arrests as police ask protesters to leave (Canberra Times). "Police have used capsicum spray and made a number of arrests as they sought to move on protesters camped near the National Library in Canberra."
The Lodge is the PMs residence in Canberra.

Rowe:

Richard Colbeck defends skipping aged care Covid inquiry for 'significant' Test match in Hobart (Guardian).

Pavlidis:

Wilcox:

Stuart Robert, Minister of Employment.

Lethbridge:

That is meant to be Scott Morrison, Gladys Berejiklian and Grace Tame.

Knight:

HMB Endeavour wreck chartered by Captain James Cook found after 22-year search (news.com.au).

Shakespeare:

Leak, Son of Leak:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tequila25 posted:

I saw this 5 pages ago and I'm still amazed. So, Gun Rights Activists just want to legally murder someone. I thought it was anti-gun the first time I read it.
I know there was some disagreement about porch theft but for me the bigger issue is that as carjacking doesn't carry a death sentence in court (and even if it did, frankly), it sure shouldn't carry one if you get caught. "Oh no my car is stolen" vs "let's take a life".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think anyone here would disagree that property is not worth taking a human life over, but also good loving luck telling that to cops, chuds or courts.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Conservatives’ pledge on levelling up – Labour criticises long-awaited white paper, claiming it is evidence of ‘‘a government in freefall: out of ideas, out of energy’"

Telegraph:

Landlords hit with £15,000 bills in 'levelling up' plans

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Speaker rebukes Boris Johnson for remarks about Starmer and Savile

Evening Standard:

Treasury preparing 11th hour package to soften national cost of living crisis

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't think anyone here would disagree that property is not worth taking a human life over, but also good loving luck telling that to cops, chuds or courts.

No kidding. I've been to a friend's party and had a republican/libertarian housewife tell me directly how she wishes someone would try to rob them so she could teach them a lesson on the 2nd amendment.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

BAD EGGS

Humpty Dummies sat on a wall.

Humpty Dummies had a great fall.

All the propaganda and the fake news men,

Couldn’t put the Dummies together again.

Another Dummy hit the ground hard today. CNN’s Jeff Zucker resigned “unexpectedly” today shocking the Fake News community. With CNN’s ratings making a bore hold through the earth and headed towards China, we think this is the real reason Zucker was forced to resign. It seems “Orange Man Bad” wasn’t much of a business model.

The reason given (cover up) for Zucker’s departure was a not-so secret affair with Allison Gollust, the chief marketing officer for CNN. Bad egg Chris Cuomo was fired by CNN and he was accused of trying to “burn the place down” in revenge by exposing Zucker, but ‘Fredo’ isn’t smart enough to do that. No worries though, Fredo. CNN is doing a great job of “burning the whole place down” all by itself.

Another recent “crack up” was due to the stupidity of Whoopi Goldberg. Whoopi is one of those annoying hosts of “The View” and she enjoys spouting off her opinions on every imaginable subject. “Whoopi” turned into “Whoops!” when she decided to tell the world that the holocaust was NOT based on race.

The Holocaust isn’t about race. No, it’s not about race. It’s not about race. It’s about man’s inhumanity to man. That’s what it’s about,” Goldberg said on Monday.

Hitler called and wants to disagree.

She apologized and normally all would be forgiven, but she’s part of the ‘cancel culture’ and she ended up canceling herself. She has been suspended from her own show for two weeks. According to sources she is livid and threatening to quit ‘The View.’ We can only hope.

Cuomo, Zucker and Whoopi are gone. Can Brian Stelter (aka mini-Zucker) be far behind?

Meanwhile, rolling around in the dirt with egg on his face is Neil Young, a thoroughly washed up 60’s musician. Young gave Spotify an ultimatum. “Either podcaster Joe Rogen goes or I do.” Congrats Neil, you canceled yourself. Oh—and by the way…Who’s Neil Young?

Fauci (never call him ‘Dr.’) has already seen his reputation fall precipitously. Now it’s time for the egg-headed so-called ’scientist’ to fall directly into prison. Or better yet, he needs to fall due to a sprung scaffold hatch below his feet.

We expect to see more Humpty Dummies teetering on the brink of the wall. Biden and Trudeau in particular need to fall.

Let’s see who falls next.

— The GrrrTeam

Garrison calling for Dr. Fauci's execution. Again.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Goldberg originally said the Holocaust wasn't about race. When asked for clarification on the Late Show she said it couldn't be about race because Jews were white by her definition. Her definition of race and framing of these things have been rightly pointed out as harmful.

And Roma. Like I could understand a bit about Jews, they do have some privilege in few countries in the world. But Roma were specifically mentioned and they never get counted "white" when counting matters.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Raised By Birds posted:

Garrison calling for Dr. Fauci's execution. Again.

Straight blonde hair is kind of like dark curly hair, right?

So are the Fauci threats reaching FBI reporting levels or is this just one of those "won't someone rid me of this meddling priest" scenarios where if you just say it would be super duper cool for someone to be murdered, including outright depicting it in one cartoon, it doesn't count?

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

quote:

"Meanwhile, rolling around in the dirt with egg on his face is Neil Young, a thoroughly washed up 60’s musician. Young gave Spotify an ultimatum. “Either podcaster Joe Rogen goes or I do.” Congrats Neil, you canceled yourself. Oh—and by the way…Who’s Neil Young?

Garrison's old enough to know who Neil Young is but he probably hasn't listened to any music recorded after 1965. If he had (and was a little bit clever), he would've incorporated the Young-dissing verse in Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama" into his rant.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Raised By Birds posted:

Hitler called and wants to disagree.

Well, I can't say I'm surprised that Garrison has a red phone for Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Shugojin posted:

goddammit i read this in the dankmus way
It was the best