Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Patware posted:

the page of mashiba finally getting to drop back into hitman stance was so loving good

"ok good i got some distance - OH NO"

YOU'VE ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD 'Hitman Style' !!

Mashiba's weakness has always been infighters, I guess this is to show that he has a short range solution to go with his long range elasto-flickers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i dont think mashibas gonna be able to take on the champ this guy seems too strong for him as is

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Don't worry, he'll be worth a ton of experience and power level him like what happened when Date beat Ippo.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I accept mashiba losing only if he dies in the ring because maybe then ippo has to think a thought

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mashiba can't die because that's what sendo is going to do

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
There's gonna be so much disappointment in this thread when Ippo gets back in the ring and dies instead. :v:

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

There's gonna be so much disappointment in this thread when Ippo gets back in the ring and dies instead. :v:

No because then Sendo will be the main character!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1370

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Any friend who doesn't already pull up half a dozen supercuts of Ippo bouts on Youtube every month is no friend of mine :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmbL5Y6A0o

Was clicking this video and thinking "better be the original" and was pleased to see it was. I remember almost all of that despite it probably being like 7-8 years since I've seen it.

Back in college (~2006-2008) my friend (at a different university) and I got really into weight-lifting as a result of Ippo lol (like actually seriously into it, we both became very fit)

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Was clicking this video and thinking "better be the original" and was pleased to see it was.

Original what? Is there more than one version of Ippo anime that covers the same content?

e:
Mashiba in crisis!! :ohdear:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 9, 2022

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

That music man, brings me back and gets me hype everytime I hear it.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That music man, brings me back and gets me hype everytime I hear it.

When you heard this you knew cool poo poo was gonna happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1kUWoH87o

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Was clicking this video and thinking "better be the original" and was pleased to see it was. I remember almost all of that despite it probably being like 7-8 years since I've seen it.

Back in college (~2006-2008) my friend (at a different university) and I got really into weight-lifting as a result of Ippo lol (like actually seriously into it, we both became very fit)

I was in college at around the same time and I got into weight lifting/body building because of DBZ. I'm six feet and went from 120 to 180 pounds.

Fictional characters can be goddamn inspiring I don't care what anyone says.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BHB posted:

When you heard this you knew cool poo poo was gonna happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1kUWoH87o

That was something that stuck out to me when rewatching that fight, a lot of the soundtrack was almost jazz/prog in nature.

But good ol' buttrock will forever be my main jam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1VNM57PHms

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1371
Mashiba's greatest motivation, don't lose in front of Ippo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man that look he gave him as his head was knocked back.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Original what? Is there more than one version of Ippo anime that covers the same content?

I was under the impression there was a later one that also covered the beginning of the series, but I'm probably wrong about that. Maybe the later one only covered later content?

Monaghan posted:

I was in college at around the same time and I got into weight lifting/body building because of DBZ. I'm six feet and went from 120 to 180 pounds.

Fictional characters can be goddamn inspiring I don't care what anyone says.

I actually lost some weight (I went from 5'10" and 165lb to 145lb), but still became much stronger. Couldn't get myself to eat enough to gain weight, but it made a huge difference in terms of appearance - I had actual abs and was "noticeably a guy who is fit and works out" (for lack of a better description).

Unfortunately I found it much harder to keep up later in life, though I didn't completely let myself go - I just went back to weighing 165lb and only really do cardio because I can easily do it in the house. The downside to having been really fit at one point during your life is that you can't help but compare everything with that in the future.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first ippo anime was in 2000 and all the other tv series have continued in a linear order from where that ended.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

At this point i'm kinda wondering what the end point of this manga is supposed to be. While it's still enjoyable, it feels like it's just going through the motions with no end in sight, and at the snails pace the story moves any 'Ippo gets back in the ring' plot would tack on at least another 10 years.

The art is really good nowadays though, and i'm appreciating the move away from dumb gimmick fights and focusing back on the basics, it makes the fights a lot better again.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1371
Mashiba's greatest motivation, don't lose in front of Ippo

Mother

loving

Takes No Damage posted:

My money is Mashiba getting into a DAI PINCHE and firing up his samurai spirit by imagining Ippo macking on his li'l sis :wink:
Like Ippo puts his arm around her shoulders for comfort/support and Mashiba goes beastmode and spontaneously evolves the Dempsy Hitman StyleTM.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaled it :smuggo: Mostly. He hasn't mentioned his sister yet but :10bux: says it's the first thing he says to Ippo after the match.

Ytlaya posted:

I was under the impression there was a later one that also covered the beginning of the series, but I'm probably wrong about that. Maybe the later one only covered later content?

Yeah I don't think so. There was a bigass gap in there, but S3 picks up right where the OVAs following the original 2 seasons ended.

Bisse posted:

At this point i'm kinda wondering what the end point of this manga is supposed to be. While it's still enjoyable, it feels like it's just going through the motions with no end in sight, and at the snails pace the story moves any 'Ippo gets back in the ring' plot would tack on at least another 10 years.

The art is really good nowadays though, and i'm appreciating the move away from dumb gimmick fights and focusing back on the basics, it makes the fights a lot better again.

I randomly started rereading the whole thing since it's all on MangaDex anyway. Just finished the Rookie Champtionship fight with Mashiba, Ippo did a lot better than I remember. His fist got busted up but otherwise he took minimal damage. Several of his other fights turned into the now-stereotypical slugfests (his debut, Ozma), but Hayami got built up pretty high and Ippo more or less kicked his rear end:

:rock:

e:
Also, forgot just how much dick is in early Ippo :flaccid:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 22, 2022

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Chapter 1372

No chapter next week which was a very upsetting thing to see at the end of this chapter.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hell of a goddamn cliff hanger.

granted probably Mashiba gonna get back up, even if he took a point blank shot.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The thunking will continue until morale improves

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

"I'm going to rearrange your guts" ok mashiba 😳

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's Ippo's line

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Was that supposed to be so funny? "Kumi, look!" and she looks up just in time to see her brother become a PEZ dispenser.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ippo put his arm around Kumi without some nervous face or thought. Progress. Maybe in another 1000 they might really hug.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Ippo put his arm around Kumi without some nervous face or thought. Progress. Maybe in another 1000 they might really hug.

Goddamn, slow down, son.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Flubby posted:

Was that supposed to be so funny? "Kumi, look!" and she looks up just in time to see her brother become a PEZ dispenser.

Nah, she was already watching before that moment. It was probably just to make the counter more shocking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

"I'm going to rearrange your guts" ok mashiba 😳

Was also wondering if that meant something different in Japanese :wink:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chatper 1373

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:discourse:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
this mf said chatper

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like Mashiba

Centzon Totochtin posted:

this mf said chatper

was the grink there?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Love it. Poor Garcia's body couldn't keep up.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

this mf said chatper

:negative:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Mashiba is the best.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:drat: that loving rules

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005