Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

XeeD posted:

This is goddamned table salt, isn't it?

probably! i was thinking it looked a lot finer than the rock salt they use in places that actually get snow. lol

I was also thinking "huh, i can't imagine that technique does much...maybe the salt spreads around when cars drive over it...i guess they know what they're doing, though!" and on learning the context, that's also a lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

The Management posted:

Here’s that rust you ordered

I was just wondering why that one truck is so happy to follow along behind them for so long. I can only imagine it is a spotter working with them

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sagebrush posted:

I was also thinking "huh, i can't imagine that technique does much...maybe the salt spreads around when cars drive over it...i guess they know what they're doing, though!" and on learning the context, that's also a lol

I mean, doubtful? They're basically creating irregular patches of traction amongst the ice, assuming it even melts in those areas covered in salt, which it might not as much since the whole point of lowering the freezing temperature is that you do it throughout the ice, not just in small patches which probably won't unfreeze because all the ice surrounding them isn't getting any of the effect.

But at least they're allowing the tow truck drivers to get lots of work, so :thumbsup:

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

I want to believe they are drug runners just ahead of the cops trying to ditch the evidence.

The Wurst Poster fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 3, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Ahhhh Texas, never change.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

The Wurst Poster posted:

I want to believe they are drug runners just ahead of the cops trying to ditch the evidence.

It's the Mexican cartel giving free samples to everyone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

lol I did this with an aluminum eddy current standard when I was in tech school. Got my ring finger stuck in the 3/4" hole. Luckily they were able to get my finger out with some ultrasonic couplant

one of these:

Last I heard they still tell the story of the dumbass airman who got his finger stuck in the eddy current standard

I highly doubt that they still tell that story.

At this point, they tell the story of the dumbass airman who got his dick stuck in the half‐inch hole.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

"You burnt the loving money!"

"Can you fly, Bobby?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://i.imgur.com/cR8DYFI.mp4

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Facebook Aunt posted:

Failed state, or awesome state? In a truck with a machine doing this you'd employ 1 or 2 guys. This method employs at least 5 guys (3 we see plus the driver and camera man). End unemployment, have everyone shovel salt.

Or how about we use the machine, still employ 5 guys and everyone works like half the time for the same benefits? I'm kidding of course, don't want to get on a watchlist for radical leftists.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Evilreaver posted:

A scrote of Teslacles

:golfclap:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Idiotatworks/status/1489181002584887297

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
What? That's an ntsb regulation to honk at level crossings.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah, but the sound of a locomotive splitting a loaded school bus in half is much more pleasant.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
I'm sure two random nimbys will get the railroad companies to do a single loving thing when whole-rear end major cities can't get them to stop loving with them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, but the sound of a locomotive splitting a loaded school bus in half is much more pleasant.

Finally achieving inner peace as those darn kids are off my lawn for good

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
The cheapest apartment I ever rented, in the depths of my wasteful bachelor days, was directly adjacent to one of those crossings. Like I could have thrown a rock and hit the intersection.

It was far, far worse than the place I lived adjacent to a meth house, or the place I lived adjacent to the farm. It drove me completely suicidal and homicidal, not to mention severely curtailing my chances at getting laid.

I used to be very anti nimby until I lived there. If they can't ban the horns, ban the crossings themselves. I can't imagine trying to raise kids there, with those horns blasting every two hours from 4am to 10pm. They so dramatically lower property values too, if nothing else. I'll buy the pitchforks and torches to support their peasant uprising.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Don't build homes next to railroads, and don't build railroads through residential zones :shrug:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Oh no, not the property values!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Where I used to live they worked out something with the trains no longer having to hit the horn when going through the city. They improved the signals at the crossings as well.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

There's a provincial park here in Ontario that's surrounded by lake, but like 250 meters away is a railroad crossing that gets a lot of train traffic and because sound travels over water so much easier it literally sounds like you're about to be run over by trains and then... the horns start going.

It's awful.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

CitizenKain posted:

Where I used to live they worked out something with the trains no longer having to hit the horn when going through the city. They improved the signals at the crossings as well.

That's how it works, yeah. There are Federal Quiet Zone rules where you improve the crossing's safety devices, and the trains no longer have to sound their horns. It's stuff like quad gates, median barriers, basically equipment that makes it really hard to ignore the approach of a (silent) train.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Though good loving luck on just declaring a quiet zone without the community spending the money to make it sufficiently safe for a million ton beast to basically glide through an intersection silently.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

RDM posted:

You're the first person who doesn't work for the state of NY I've ever heard call it the Cuomo.

I hate it.

I usually call it the Tappan Zee but I'm not from NY so I didn't know the "legit" name. Like here in Philly they renamed a section of Delaware Avenue to Columbus Blvd but I will call the whole thing "Delaware Ave" until my dying day.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

The Wurst Poster posted:

I assumed they were shoveling asbestos.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
went to visit a buddy in Madison, WI some years ago and woke up convinced I was about to be run over by a train when it honked, and then had some difficulty drifting off when it continued to do so.

my friend told me the next day that the engineer wasn't supposed to use the horn in town anymore, let alone constantly the entire time, but he refused to comply with whatever new rules had been set up.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

kw0134 posted:

Though good loving luck on just declaring a quiet zone without the community spending the money to make it sufficiently safe for a million ton beast to basically glide through an intersection silently.

simply declare the entire are a library, problem solved

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

GWBBQ posted:

Lol if you consider any of that "driving in New York," lol at calling it the Cuomo Bridge, and I'm still confused about getting to the Cape via Boston, although driving in Boston is really terrible.

As a Philadelphian I barely consider New York, period. gently caress New York.

I don't typically drive up near Boston to get to the Cape, but it has happened for the reasons I already specified.

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Domus posted:

I’ve taken driving classes. I just suck at physical objects in 3d space. I have terrible proprioception, too. I’d love to stop hitting my hips on stuff and tripping over things and dropping items. If anyone has heard of PT or something that makes you better at visualizing the movement of objects in spacetime, I’m all ears.

Occupational Therapy can help with proprioception and visual perception/processing. You have to find one with specialized training in it. They also have driver rehab in some places.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

it definitely isn't, trains dont honk at the level crossings near where i live. there isn't even a gate. it probably helps that the trains are rarely moving more than 15 mph so there's plenty of time for folks to pay attention to the signals, i dunno what stipulations are around these crossings to waive them from honk warnings

Scholtz posted:

Don't build homes next to railroads, and don't build railroads through residential zones :shrug:

in a lot of places both the homes and railroads predate modern regulations so i'll leave it up to you whether the government needs to buy out the homeowners or buy out the railroads

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 3, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it definitely isn't,

https://railroads.dot.gov/highway-rail-crossing-and-trespasser-programs/train-horn-rulequiet-zones/train-horn-rule-and-quiet

quote:

Under the Train Horn Rule (49 CFR Part 222), locomotive engineers must begin to sound train horns at least 15 seconds, and no more than 20 seconds, in advance of all public grade crossings.

There are exceptions.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This page gives info about establishing a quiet zone. Seems like a reasonable way to start the discussion with your local government.

quote:

Establishing Quiet Zones:

The final rule also provides an opportunity for localities nationwide to mitigate the effects of train horn noise by establishing “new quiet zones.” “No horn” restriction which may have existed prior to the establishment of the rule may be qualified to be “pre-rule quiet zones”. In a quiet zone, railroads have been directed to cease the routine sounding their horns when approaching public highway-rail grade crossings. Train horns may still be used in emergency situations or to comply with other Federal regulations or railroad operating rules. Localities desiring to establish a quiet zone are first required to mitigate the increased risk caused by the absence of a horn.

Learn how to create a Quiet Zone here. Additional resources on Quiet Zones can be found below.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the page for learning how to set up a quiet zone just says "gently caress YOU" real big and then plays a loud train horn mp3.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Be the change you want to see in the world!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Empty Sandwich posted:

went to visit a buddy in Madison, WI some years ago and woke up convinced I was about to be run over by a train when it honked, and then had some difficulty drifting off when it continued to do so.

my friend told me the next day that the engineer wasn't supposed to use the horn in town anymore, let alone constantly the entire time, but he refused to comply with whatever new rules had been set up.

They should have huge PA systems at the gates that play the sound of the Fat Boys beatboxing when a train approaches.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Send an emergency message push to every phone in town saying "a train is coming"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Forbidden Technique: Shinobi Train Execution

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

haveblue posted:

Send an emergency message push to every phone in town saying "a train is coming"

The train
Has destroyed my eardrums
Yes
YES
The train is coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Scholtz posted:

A lot of the homes built near railroad tracks are targeted toward low income people. Likewise, municipalities always put new tracks through low income areas.

These areas are also typically majority minority and are also areas that the us government previously redlined for home loans.

Generally speaking, a lot of these types of their problems have roots in our nation's systemic racism.