Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Storm=turned into baby
Magneto=turned into baby

It’s true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Android Blues posted:

As seen above, he was not afraid to write scripts that showed off Magneto's supple rear end.

And thanks be to God for that...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

I AM GRANDO posted:

Storm=turned into baby
Magneto=turned into baby

It’s true!

Magneto got turned into a baby by Len Wein, Claremont didn't have anything to do with it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What with the whole resurrection protocols thing, it got me thinking about just who has died out of the main 616 group so far and it feels like it's easier to say who hasn't..! Not counting future set stories, just everything to the 'present'.

Still on their first life as far as I know: Bobby, maybe Hank, maybe Roberto (but can't recall how that illness/dying plot in USAvengers turned out), Hope, Whiz Kid, ..um, Armor? Boom-Boom?

Obviously Jean famous for it but Xavier, Scott and Warren have both snuffed it a couple of times too. Wolvie, Storm, Rogue, Colossus, Betsy, Dazzler, Longshot all die in Fall of the Mutants. The Beyonder kills all the New Mutants bar Roberto in Secret Wars II. Nightcrawler dies at some point. Quire and 2 of the Cuckoos. Jubliee was a vampire for a while, that sort of counts. Destiny, obvs. I want to say Mystique but maybe those were all fake outs? Laura and Gabby, Thunderbird, Banshee, Domino, Cable, Fantomex. Sinister must be on his hundredth clone by now...

Cripes that's a lot. How about Gambit? And has Sabretooth ever been killed? I know there were backups of the other Marauders but the worst I recall him getting was either just lobotomised for a while, and his current status in the hole. Like Wolvie, he's hard to kill but also smart enough not to get into the kind of situations Logan does.

Anyway, when you look at it all like that, is Krakoa's resurrection secret really such a big deal? Almost every mutant of note has been dying and returning for years, no need for Captain Krakoa at all.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

How Wonderful! posted:

Magneto got turned into a baby by Len Wein, Claremont didn't have anything to do with it.

Claremont, reading that: "Why can't this character be a woman?"

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not sure yet about this particular story, but I will admit I'm kinda hyped for Gillen taking the helm of an event book. was always a bit bummed that he had no role in writing Schism or AvX despite the impact on his X-Men run

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1488528011733389317

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Yeah, but in Claremont’s first (second?) Magneto story, he’s so upset about having been a baby, he turns all the x-men into adult babies cared for by a sexy robot nurse. And in his last Magneto story, Magneto is still so obsessed with having been a baby dominated by sexy Moira MacTaggart (who Claremont created) that he turns into a villain again. Claremont was interested in that baby stuff.

Len Wein just thought it was a funny way to write Magneto out of the story.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bobby has died. It's how we figured out that he can reform himself in an ice body.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sentinel Red posted:

Cripes that's a lot. How about Gambit? And has Sabretooth ever been killed? I know there were backups of the other Marauders but the worst I recall him getting was either just lobotomised for a while, and his current status in the hole. Like Wolvie, he's hard to kill but also smart enough not to get into the kind of situations Logan does.

Anyway, when you look at it all like that, is Krakoa's resurrection secret really such a big deal? Almost every mutant of note has been dying and returning for years, no need for Captain Krakoa at all.

Sabretooth ate it a couple of times when he was with the Marauders, but Sinister kept cloning him. I think that was retconned that the ones that ate it were clones and the one currently sitting beneath Krakoa is the original? I haven't read his Iron Fist stories where he was first introduced, so he might have died in that too?

I can't remember if Mystique explicitly died in the "Get Mystique" arc in Wolverine, she might have just been left bleeding badly in the middle of the desert. I don't think Gambit ever dies, but he does get abandoned in the middle of the arctic.

Did they ever explain how Cyclops came back during that lovely Uncanny run that came right before Hickman took over?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah. Someone he saved when he was younger invented a device that siphoned off some of the Phoenix Force from the moment it brought him back to share one last moment with newly resurrected Jean. I believe he also got Teen Cable to go back in time and implant it in Cyclops. So the Phoenix Force brought him back with some help from a random guy and Teen Cable.

EDIT: I was a little off on the details, but the result is the same.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/24/marvel-reveals-how-cyclops-came-back-to-life

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Sabretooth also died (via decapitation) in the Jeph Loeb/Simone Bianchi "Evolution" story that introduced Romulus. But that was also later revealed to be a clone, but also Romulus was lying about everything and maybe he couldn't make clones, except there were dozens of Sabretooth clones in the second arc, so whatever?

He also got decapitated a second time during Rosenberg's run in the War of the Realms mini-series, and presumably got resurrected via Krakoan means, unless that was also a Romulus clone.

As for Iceman, whether or not he's ever died is one for the philosophers. He woke up with a gaping hole in his chest in the run-up to Onslaught, but to his surprise he was fine and could heal over the hole with more ice.

Chuck Austen repeated this exact sequence of events a few years later (except he got stabbed in the chest while awake), then upped the ante a few issues later with Iceman getting decapitated and his entire body sans head being destroyed, eventually growing back his body. Then in Mike Carey's run he got completely evaporated but still reformed a body. I'm sure it's happened even more times, but this all feel more like "unkillable" than "repeatedly died and came back".

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Barry Convex posted:

not sure yet about this particular story, but I will admit I'm kinda hyped for Gillen taking the helm of an event book. was always a bit bummed that he had no role in writing Schism or AvX despite the impact on his X-Men run

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1488528011733389317

Finally, someone remembered nightcrawlers cool new look from way of X.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

I like how Cap is in the middle, looking to get to a compromise between killing all mutants and not killing all mutants.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why is that Celestial giving us a thumbs up?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Every so often I think about making a thread about the Marvel Comics revolving door of death, to discuss and discover who actually is or isn't the most-killed character in the 616. Most of the major characters have died at least once on-panel, even if it was subsequently undone through time travel/reality manipulation/godlike powers' interference.

I suspect the actual winner's going to end up being somebody like Johnny Storm, if only because of that one Hickman comic where the poor bastard got killed and revived twenty-odd times in a row.

Hank has at least one death I can think of on his record, because he was one of the characters listed as "disappeared" in Infinity Gauntlet, along with Bobby, Warren, and Jean.

Sentinel Red posted:

It's not so much that "super-people come back from the dead sometimes," it's that mutants have specifically streamlined the process to the point where it's reliable and that it only works for them, then specifically done almost no work to confuse the details.

That was the point of Urich's conversation with Cyclops in Duggan's X-Men; he'd covered Jumbo Carnation's death, seen the guy's autopsy, checked the man's grave, but Jumbo was up and fussing as if it had never happened. Nobody even bothered to throw out a weak cover story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know ultimately that whoever wins a fight in a comic is who the writer (or editorial) wants to win, but on the surface, especially if it includes the Arrako mutants, the X-Men would absolutely wipe the floor with the Eternals. Aren't there just like a dozen or so Eternals and I don't think they have a teleporter or any psychics?

I also feel like the Avengers would side with the X-Men, they've fought celestials before and are generally anti-genocide, and the X-Men have also fought celestials before as well.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

I know ultimately that whoever wins a fight in a comic is who the writer (or editorial) wants to win, but on the surface, especially if it includes the Arrako mutants, the X-Men would absolutely wipe the floor with the Eternals. Aren't there just like a dozen or so Eternals and I don't think they have a teleporter or any psychics?

There are several dozen, many of whom are explicitly telepathic, and most of them are capable of giving Thor a good fight. They can also merge like Devastator into a giant psychic floating brain, and Makkari might be the closest thing to the Flash in the Marvel Universe.

They don't do so well with teamwork, though, and you'd do well to have six of them on the same team at the same time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There are several dozen, many of whom are explicitly telepathic, and most of them are capable of giving Thor a good fight. They can also merge like Devastator into a giant psychic floating brain, and Makkari might be the closest thing to the Flash in the Marvel Universe.

They don't do so well with teamwork, though, and you'd do well to have six of them on the same team at the same time.

Okay, that makes more sense then. I haven't read the recent stuff and like 90% of my knowledge about them is the Gaiman mini from like Civil War 1 era.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I dunno y'all. Gillen is a master, but this event is feeling kinda forced already, trying to cash in on the fact that a bunch more people finally know who the Eternals are thanks to the film.

All I can think of are the loopy Eternals standing at the doorsteps of a Krakoa gate ranting and raving about the mutants being their great enemies due to some vague genetic expository stuff and the mutants going "Yeah we don't think about you at all."

The only thing I want to happen is for the Inhumans to make an eleventh hour appearance to make it a proper fourway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

make it a proper fourway.

sounds sexy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gillen's been writing Eternals for like over a year now and building up some cool poo poo there.

I don't think he's now going "oh now it's time to force this poo poo!" whereas now that he's involved with X-Men, he saw a good opportunity to tell a story with the characters he's writing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been reading Gillen's Eternals. A lot of it is about them coming to terms with their own fallacy, the hypocrisy of their directives, and the wrongs they've unknowingly done to others, particularly non-Eternals, over their long lives. It's precisely why I think the idea of them suddenly deciding to be unilateral arbiters of mutantkind feels pretty forced...like, I literally wouldn't have thought so if not for Gillen's own stuff :xd:. Like, oh, this time the vague Celestial edicts about genetic cleansing or whatever are suddenly going to be good, we super-duper pinky-swear?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The current Eternals book is as interesting as I could ever imagine that concept getting and it still isn't very interesting.

My biggest concern is that the teased connection is getting forced to create synergy with the MCU. I trust Gillen but I still know that he's writing an Eternals book because they offered him one because there was a (lovely) movie coming out with that name. I might be cynical but this reeks of lovely retcon so it can kind of be like the movies.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lot of people on the internet getting mad about the motivations in a story that’s not out yet.

I don’t see a problem with the idea that Thanos probably wants to knock the mutants down a peg after they claimed Mars. Also, who wants to bet that Mister Sinister is scheming on how to get his hands on Eternal DNA?

Plus, the Celestials may be involved in this somewhere as well. There’s going to be some glorious text pages coming up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wanderer posted:

I feel like there was a line pretty recently that was something like 'yeah they aren't ALL full telepaths but most have some level of brain powers'

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

You have to keep in mind that it's Druig being quoted about Mutants being Deviants, and that guy is currently Thanos' Dick Cheney. Would not surprise me at all if he's lying (a thing he is known for), and turning Mutants into a scapegoat as part of some political machination.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Well, Sabretooth (the book) was unexpectedly good, I want to see where it goes. No clue on who all of these people at the end where, though, I only recognized Oya and Jeffries.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Really like the X-cellent. I am an Allred fanboy though.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I didn't like it at all. The art was nice, but the writing was incomprehensible.

Sabretooth was weird. It was hard to figure out what was real and what wasn't. And why did poor Box and Oya get thrown in the hole? Or was that even real?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I didn't like it at all. The art was nice, but the writing was incomprehensible.

Sabretooth was weird. It was hard to figure out what was real and what wasn't. And why did poor Box and Oya get thrown in the hole? Or was that even real?

Allred is still on top of his game but the script really felt like it was written 5-10 years and dusted off. The satire just didn't feel sharp at all-- like it's still hewing to the same basic premises as the original book, over twenty years ago. It felt like a reunion show where the cast still had chemistry but the magic was still gone.

I think if the solicits are accurate we'll find out why everybody got holed next month. Oya at least has kind of a long history of killing humans inadvertently or otherwise (Melter and Nekra too) and I imagine whatever Box did had to do with getting too wrapped up with machine intelligences which are a sore spot on Krakoa. I think this version of Third Eye is a new character since the existing Third Eye is a white guy who actually has three eyes.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So wait, why aren't Nanny, Orphan-maker, Nature Girl, and Curse in Sabretooth?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hunting that novel writer to do a Sabretooth series turned out to be an excellent idea, very fun comic.

X-Cellent as expected is not an X-Men comic just like its predecessor but as Milligan and Allred fan I liked it a lot, cool freeform nonsense.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I knew I was going to love Sabretooth as soon as I saw fat bear:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

How Wonderful! posted:

I think if the solicits are accurate we'll find out why everybody got holed next month. Oya at least has kind of a long history of killing humans inadvertently or otherwise (Melter and Nekra too) and I imagine whatever Box did had to do with getting too wrapped up with machine intelligences which are a sore spot on Krakoa. I think this version of Third Eye is a new character since the existing Third Eye is a white guy who actually has three eyes.

My read was that Sabretooth has basically become so connected to Krakoa that he's unconsciously opened up holes and sucked down random people into Krakoan Hell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really wish x-cellent had come out like five years earlier.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mameluke posted:

So wait, why aren't Nanny, Orphan-maker, Nature Girl, and Curse in Sabretooth?

I got the impression that issue 1 is set before those events.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Finished Avengers vs. X-Men. Didn't love that. The AvX side-series where it's just fights, though, is pretty fun with mostly great art.

We've moved onto X-Termination (not to be confused with Extermination, which came out a just few years later), the AoA/X-Treme (2013)/Astonishing crossover. I was completely unaware that the first two books ever existed. I kind of remember hearing Dave Lapham was writing an X-book but that certainly wasn't something that stuck with me. The X-Treme book was completely off my radar. So opening issue #12 to the recap page was... a delight:

Me, after reading that: I mean, it can't be that crazy, right?

*4 pages later*

This only sucks because it just added a year's worth of a comic to my reading pile.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
that is also the comic that gave us the "Wolverine and Hercules but from an alternate universe and also they're in a committed relationship" pairing that no one knew we needed until we saw it on the page

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

We're not ready for this, indeed.

Not sure if it's worth tracking that run down, but I have a morbid curiosity to see where it went now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

this really reminds of Manhattan projects