Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you'd think they'd let you just untick the boxes of individual companies and redistribute the spread of the buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Just in with a trip report to the dnd thread. They're talking about which bicycles they should be switching to.

BRB starting a QCS thread to have it shut down.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Basic Poster posted:

Just in with a trip report to the dnd thread. They're talking about which bicycles they should be switching to.

preemptive free basic poster

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i'm reminded of some stupid image for a plan to build nuclear plants to produce steam to inject into the oil sands to be able to pump out that delicious garbage grade oil

That's the modern version. There was a plan from the 1950s-1960s to detonate a thousand or so nuclear warheads under the tar sands to loosen things up and make the spice flow.

Marsden describes in his book "Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada" a pilot shot down in the U.S., with predictable results. For some reason they thought they might have a problem handling and marketing radioactive petroleum products.

Pity, there's a certain appeal to the idea of nuking Alberta.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hexigrammus posted:

Pity, there's a certain appeal to the idea of nuking Alberta.

:hmmyes:

welcome to rad deer

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Basic Poster posted:

They should be switching because cars suck not because they care about the planet

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
they should all get commuter style bikes with rear racks and panniers hth

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Car Hater posted:

Ronald (six)

Wilson (six)

Reagan (six)

kater
Nov 16, 2010

it is pretty funny that society runs on the concentrated dead.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Basic Poster posted:

They should rename QCS to Bugzapper.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

they should all get commuter style bikes with rear racks and panniers hth

this but surly long haul truckers

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kater posted:

we’re hitting peak death, so we’re currently innovating as hard as we can to bring more death

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
uk is about to get hit:

Energy price cap to rise by £693, Ofgem announces

bbc posted:

The price cap sets what the average household in England, Scotland and Wales will pay for energy if they’re not on a fixed deal with their supplier.

But your individual bill will be different depending on whether you live in a small flat or a large house and what your energy use is.

It means standard tariffs will go up by 54%.

About 22 million customers will be affected by the change in the price cap when it comes into effect in April.

There’s a different rate for prepayment customers: their price cap will rise by £708 to £2,107.

A large rise in the energy price cap will hit those on low incomes hardest, warns Dr David Deller, a senior research associate at the University of East Anglia.

Research by the Centre for Competition Policy shows that lower income households spend a considerably higher proportion of their total expenditure on energy than other households.

“This means energy bills are far more prominent to them and, more importantly, they are more likely to face difficult choices regarding whether to reduce their energy consumption or cut back on other spending."

He reckons that energy affordability difficulties will reach a level last seen around 2013 or possibly in the late 1980s.

The increase is driven by a record rise in global gas prices over the last six months, with wholesale prices quadrupling in the last year. It will affect default tariff customers who haven’t switched to a fixed deal and those who remain with their new supplier after their previous supplier exited the market."

The price cap is updated twice a year and tracks wholesale energy and other costs. It stops energy companies from making excessive profits, ensuring customers pay no more than a fair price for their energy. The price cap allows energy companies to pass on all reasonable costs to customers, including increases in the cost of buying gas."

fossil fuel so cheap!

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.science.org/content/article/native-tribes-have-lost-99-their-land-united-states

quote:

Native tribes have lost 99% of their land in the United States
New data set quantifies Indigenous land dispossession and forced migration

Indigenous people in the United States have lost nearly 99% of the land they historically occupied, according to an unprecedented new data set. The data set—the first to quantify land dispossession and forced migration in the United States—also reveals that tribes with land today were systematically forced into less-valuable areas, which excluded them from key sectors of the U.S. economy, including the energy market. The negative effects continue to this day: Modern Indigenous lands are at increased risk from climate change hazards, especially extreme heat and decreased precipitation.

“It’s an airtight article,” says Deondre Smiles, a geographer at the University of Victoria and a citizen of the Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe, who was not involved in the study. By wrangling many disparate sources into one quantitative data set, the work “is going to represent a paradigm shift” for studies of U.S. colonialism and its effects.

Starting in the 17th century, European settlers pushed Indigenous people off their land, with the backing of the colonial government and, later, the fledging United States. Indian removal policies intensified in the 19th century, including the forced migration of tens of thousands of people in the U.S. southeast to Oklahoma, known as the Trail of Tears. Indigenous people have always understood the devastating effects of these policies, Smiles says. But most of their stories existed only in qualitative historical records, including hundreds of treaties, or oral histories. “The pushback you get in academia is that qualitative narratives are not robust. [Scientists often ask,] ‘Where’s the data? Where’s the hard science?’” Smiles says. “It’s right here, in this article.”

The new data set spans 300 years and includes nearly 400 tribes. For information about where tribes used to live, researchers spent 5 years scouring multiple archives for treaties the United States made with Indigenous nations, which often included coercive agreements to cede some or all of their land. The researchers also searched U.S. legal documents chronicling decades of land disputes, tribes’ own public archives, and other historical records. They then compared those records with U.S. census data about present-day tribal lands. (To focus on people who had experienced similar colonial policies, the researchers excluded Alaska and Hawaii, and tribal lands that extended into modern Canada and Mexico.)

The researchers found that Indigenous people across the contiguous United States have lost 98.9% of their historical lands, or 93.9% of the total geographic area they once occupied, they report today in Science. (The first figure is higher because the same land was sometimes occupied by multiple tribes before colonial boundaries were imposed.) Some tribes suffered even more complete dispossession: Forty-two percent represented in historical records have no recognized land today. For the tribes that still have land, its average present-day size is a mere 2.6% of their historical lands. In addition, present-day tribal lands can be far from their original sites: On average, tribes were forced to move 241 kilometers. One of the longest forced migrations in the data set was experienced by the Modoc people, who were moved from the Klamath Basin of California and Oregon to Oklahoma, 2565 kilometers away.

The consequences of land dispossession and forced migration continue to affect tribes today, says co-author Kyle Whyte, an environmental justice scholar at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and an enrolled member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation. The data set shows present-day tribal lands are more at risk from climate change than tribes’ historical areas, as they experience more extreme heat and less precipitation. “It’s not just that Indigenous people happen to live in areas that are disproportionately impacted in negative ways by climate change,” Whyte says. They were often forcibly relocated to land that settlers considered less valuable, and those lands are more at risk from climate change hazards today.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

good morning thread. how hosed are we today?

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

kater posted:

the planet's dying cloud

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

im still technically alive

checkmate doomers

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/zdboren/status/1488953616589221890

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

actually, they have lost 100% of their land, and saying anything less is a disservice to how hard native Americans were and are hosed over. fake news

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

the peak oil thing is funny, because the obvious misinformed conclusion on it is usually "so we have less oil now?" and it's more like the graph is being readjusted so instead of a bell curve as profitable oil wells dry up, we are more inefficiently getting what's still there to have a nice litttle vertical cliff into the abyss where all the oil actually does run out.

imagine finding out your drink is half empty in a desert. the rational thing would be to ration out what's left and make it last as long as possible. capitalism just sticks more straws in the cup and sucks harder while screaming "gently caress YEAH NUMBER BABY"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I reused a ziplock today so not only is the planet saved but I have microplastics in my brain augmenting me giving me eternal life

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my retirement plan is to eat enough plastic that my body lasts long enough to get Buck Rogers in the 25th century'd by the squid people

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I reused a ziplock today so not only is the planet saved but I have microplastics in my brain augmenting me giving me eternal life
I was going to make a microwave ready meal the other day and noticed the plastic shell had cracked a bit and there were plastic shards on the food

I took out the (visible) shards and thought of this thread with a quiet lmao as I nuked and ate my processed gruel.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

kater posted:

that’s why we are trying to keep the death rate high, as long as it outpaces our consumption we’ll be fine!

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/AUSTROHNGARO2/status/1489168114466103300
:piss:

munce
Oct 23, 2010

http://www.climatecodered.org/2022/02/have-tipping-points-already-been-passed.html

quote:

Have tipping points already been passed for critical climate systems? (7) Summing up: Faster than forecast, cascades loom

1. At just 1.2°C of warming, tipping points have been passed for several large Earth systems.
2. System-level change is happening faster than forecast.
3. Climate models don’t incorporate key processes and are not reliable.
4. The whole Earth climate system is undergoing abrupt change.
5. Cascades and accelerated warming may trigger Hothouse conditions.
6. Risks have been underestimated.
7. Decarbonisation is not enough.

Another article on the general state of things.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That reads like the last log of a spaceship crew that're found long dead after sending their last rescue signal:

Risks have been underestimated.
Decarbonisation is not enough.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did you all hear that by 2040 the New York Pension Fund will only invest in net* zero** carbon*** entities****?

munce
Oct 23, 2010

munce has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Feb 5, 2022

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did you all hear that by 2040 the New York Pension Fund will only invest in net* zero** carbon*** entities****?

*scope 1 emissions
**including carbon credits purchased by entities in which the entity owns stock
***co2 only
**** gently caress you

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

my bony fealty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHKd-xdue0

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

c'mon, be an optimist; the tanker was probably half empty!

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

my bony fealty posted:

Broken Box posted:

the planet's dying cloud

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

It's interesting that people are so unable to face reality that they throw around stupid terms like doomer when every climate prediction ever made turns out to be wildly optimistic in hindsight and the problems are always much worse and occur much sooner than even the most "alarmist" models

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

T-Paine posted:

It's interesting that people are so unable to face reality that they throw around stupid terms like doomer when every climate prediction ever made turns out to be wildly optimistic in hindsight and the problems are always much worse and occur much sooner than even the most "alarmist" models

Normalcy bias is a hell of a drug.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

T-Paine posted:

“In this respect our townfolk were like everybody else, wrapped up in themselves; in other words they were humanists: they disbelieved in pestilences. A pestilence isn't a thing made to man's measure; therefore we tell ourselves that pestilence is a mere bogy of the mind, a bad dream that will pass away. But it doesn't always pass away and, from one bad dream to another, it is men who pass away, and the humanists first of all, because they haven't taken their precautions. Our townsfolk were not to blame more than others; they forgot to be modest, that was all, and thought that everything still was possible for them; which presupposed that pestilences were impossible. They went on doing business, arranged for journeys, and formed views. How should they have given a thought to anything like plague, which rules out any future, cancels journeys, silences the exchange of views. They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences.”

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

mawarannahr posted:

“In this respect our townfolk were like everybody else, wrapped up in themselves; in other words they were humanists: they disbelieved in pestilences. A pestilence isn't a thing made to man's measure; therefore we tell ourselves that pestilence is a mere bogy of the mind, a bad dream that will pass away. But it doesn't always pass away and, from one bad dream to another, it is men who pass away, and the humanists first of all, because they haven't taken their precautions. Our townsfolk were not to blame more than others; they forgot to be modest, that was all, and thought that everything still was possible for them; which presupposed that pestilences were impossible. They went on doing business, arranged for journeys, and formed views. How should they have given a thought to anything like plague, which rules out any future, cancels journeys, silences the exchange of views. They fancied themselves free, and no one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences.”

Source that quote binsch

e: war, plague, pestilence,...famine? Lmao the crop yields this year...bingo bingo horse plinko.

Basic Poster has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Feb 3, 2022

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/jacobbogage/status/1488964291638312960

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

T-Paine posted:

Wow! Sounds like someone needs some therapy