Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Honda / Civic / 2016 / 2.0L 4 cylinder / 63,000~ miles

On Monday I started the car for work only to find a bunch of new warning lights on the dash (power-steering/brake system/ traction detection/ tire pressure). Took it back to the dealership this afternoon, and their diagnosis is that the power steering motor is starting to fault out and could "catastrophically fail" at any time. That's a thing I'd like to avoid, so I've got the car parked and am borrowing a relative's now. The dealership quoted me at $1,700 to replace it, with an unknown wait time as the parts on back order.

My dumb question is: would it be worth calling other auto repair places near me and asking them for quotes on replacing the power steering motor, or is this a situation where the part is the part and I'm not going find anything better? This is my first car, and I haven't had a major issue before now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Definitely wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but all those warning lights don't scream "bad power steering motor" to me. Additionally, I've had the power steering fail on a car before and all that happened was that it became a car without power steering (most noticeable effect is that steering takes more effort at low speeds) but the rest of the car was fine and continued to be fine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Scrree posted:

Honda / Civic / 2016 / 2.0L 4 cylinder / 63,000~ miles

On Monday I started the car for work only to find a bunch of new warning lights on the dash (power-steering/brake system/ traction detection/ tire pressure). Took it back to the dealership this afternoon, and their diagnosis is that the power steering motor is starting to fault out and could "catastrophically fail" at any time. That's a thing I'd like to avoid, so I've got the car parked and am borrowing a relative's now. The dealership quoted me at $1,700 to replace it, with an unknown wait time as the parts on back order.

My dumb question is: would it be worth calling other auto repair places near me and asking them for quotes on replacing the power steering motor, or is this a situation where the part is the part and I'm not going find anything better? This is my first car, and I haven't had a major issue before now.

I would really try to pull the codes yourself (or find out from the dealership what they were) because you can't really go off what they tell you. How did the car feel to drive on the way to the dealership?

I don't know much about the car, if it's a power steering pump driven by an accessory belt and you suddenly have a bunch of lights on the dash my immediate suspicion is the belt isn't tensioned properly or something. If it's an electric pump and you're having these warnings all of a sudden, check the connections, check your battery connections/grounding.

Definitely get those codes and start googling around to see if it's a common thing with a known fix.

e: also, the whole point of owning a Honda is that they're cheap to work on/have repaired, I really wouldn't go to a dealership unless you were still under warranty. Call some independent shops in your area, look at reviews on Google, ask your friends, etc.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 3, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Goon mentioned power steering 'motor' probably has electric assist power steering. My Corolla from 09 has it. Other than that I can't really assist.

If the motor does fail, you probably can still steer, it'll just be more difficult.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How old is your battery?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Those lights sound legit to me. My wife's 2012 CR-V lit up lights for VSC, traction control, "genie lamp," and more (TPMS maybe, but I think that might have been lit before, it has a bad sensor) when it had a single code related to a VTC actuator (a cam gear too "smart" for its own good). I would not be surprised at all if a car with a code related to a steering assist motor or sensor lit up the dash like an RGB keyboard.

$1700 seems within reason for a dealer steering rack replacement. Parts store steering racks won't be nearly the same quality, but they will be cheaper. Dealer labor is usually expensive (1.5x-2x the per hour rate of an independent mechanic), and a steering rack R&R is definitely going to require a wheel alignment when all is said and done (typically a $100+ service by itself around here).

I would HOPE the catastrophic failure of modern electric power steering is sudden loss of assist, but I suppose if the motor freezes, the steering shaft might also end up locked, which is pretty much as bad as a "sudden, total, unexpected loss of braking ability." I don't own anything with electric assist steering, so I don't know.

Be strong, have them disable the steering assist and drive manual steering like the Civics of olde!

Holy poo poo, a steering rack from O'Reilly Auto Parts is $1135! Rock Auto doesn't have any listings that are in stock. It looks like Honda MSRP on the rack assembly is $2300+ (about $1750 if you buy from a Honda OEM parts reseller online), so maybe the dealer repair quote is already using a parts store unit.

For comparison's sake, a parts store rack for my fancy-at-the-time 1995 Lexus SC400 costs about $200. Sure, it also has a power steering pump and some hydraulic lines, but that stuff doesn't add $900 to the total.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 3, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Trying to help a neighbor out on their '07 Avalanche, 5.3l, and I guess I got two questions:

1) Would that model have a limp-home mode that is tied to the oil level sensor?

2) Would I be correct in the assumption that a limp mode would just severely limit the engine's performance as opposed to just completely dying in the middle of running?

The neighbor is tangling with a remanufacturer's warranty on this (they shouldn'ta mentioned the sensor in the first place but no matter)

1) I seriously doubt it.

2) Yes, limp mode won't let the car shift out of first gear, generally, and keeps the rpms low. The car will run well enough to get to home or to a repair shop, but will run.

What kind of manufacturer's warranty would still be applicable to a 15 year old car?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

What kind of manufacturer's warranty would still be applicable to a 15 year old car?

Remanufacturer. It's got a new/rebuilt motor in it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Brand new battery, everything wired correctly.

But when I'm driving every bump will cause the battery light to come on.

I've isolated it to here:

If I just barely touch, I mean gentlest touch, this cable running to the positive battery post, the problem occurs.

The other positive wires are tight and secure. It's just this one cable and it's only at that bit where the plastic and exposed copper meet.

So my question is: what's the fix? Does this cable have a name? Who carries it if it needs to be replaced?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's not a cable you're pointing to. It's a fuse. It's attached to the battery and the cable is attached to the other side of the fuse under all that tape.

I'll let people who know that platform better say if it factory or not, but it doesn't look it. I mean....it so doesn't look it that it's definitely not. But I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Take the tape off. Clean the connections on both sides. That's at least a start.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

there is a lot of electrical tape in that photo.

Factories don't tend to use electrical tape.

Problems when going over bumps does sound like a loose connection.

Anything taped is where I'd start investigating.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Brand new battery, everything wired correctly.

But when I'm driving every bump will cause the battery light to come on.

I've isolated it to here:

If I just barely touch, I mean gentlest touch, this cable running to the positive battery post, the problem occurs.

The other positive wires are tight and secure. It's just this one cable and it's only at that bit where the plastic and exposed copper meet.

So my question is: what's the fix? Does this cable have a name? Who carries it if it needs to be replaced?

That is absolutely not a factory part:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/littelfuse/lighting---electrical/fuses/fuses/da78d762ece6/littelfuse-125-amp-mega-fuse/lit0/meg125bp

and that is not the factory battery connector:

Nor does Toyota get that sloppy with electrical tape just out like that. My guess is your FJCruiser has some aftermarket lights or stereo system in it, is that true? Someone switched out the terminal for the one you have so they could branch off some extra wiring. Not bad in itself really, but amateurs tend to really muck things up in ways that is impossible to tell without tearing into it.

EDIT
That 'cable' is probably that fuse with some wire sticking out the back of it under all that tape.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 3, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Motronic posted:

That's not a cable you're pointing to. It's a fuse. It's attached to the battery and the cable is attached to the other side of the fuse under all that tape.

Well poo poo, you guys are right. Under like a pound of electrical tape there's a joint where the cable itself connects to this completely separate fuse with a nut and bolt.

And the fuse is $5 at AutoZone.

Hot drat, this is going to be a million times easier to fix than I was expecting.

Thanks everyone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Treat that as a temporary fix. A better / permanent fix would involve swapping out the terminals for "military style" terminals like these that are properly designed to accommodate multiple cable lugs like that:

As well as probably replacing some of those battery cables. Battery cables are difficult to properly repair and if someone else has already hamfisted it before you, there's probably not enough slack left to cut it shorter and do it right.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That battery clamp is designed to put cable in and clamp it down with the plate and the two bolts. It wasn't designed to have eyelets on the bolts. I would replace that. The suggestion from the poster above looks decent. The factory clamps shouldn't be too expensive from the dealer either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If i had to guess, the fuse has a hairline crack in it due to the cable pulling down on it and vibrating it while driving. The cable has quite a lever force on it with one end fixed. I'm not sure a fuse of that style is designed to handle mechanical load like that, but it might be fine? Does anyone know?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

spankmeister posted:

If i had to guess, the fuse has a hairline crack in it due to the cable pulling down on it and vibrating it while driving. The cable has quite a lever force on it with one end fixed. I'm not sure a fuse of that style is designed to handle mechanical load like that, but it might be fine? Does anyone know?

Fuses are typically go/no go, but also I bet you're right about mechanical loading.

The question here is what are we looking at? If that's a factory connection (the cable going to the fuse) surely it's fused in the engine bay somewhere so that extra fuse is useless. If that's not a factory cable and it's all accessories I'd want to mount a fuse holder somewhere under the hood, run it there and then bring it back to a new and proper battery terminal.

But if that is a new run for accessories I'd be very much scrutinizing the quality of work done and whether I really need whatever it's for.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

So what’s the point of the fuse then? Seems like it should just be remove entirely.

Edit: ^^ yea, that

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

latinotwink1997 posted:

So what’s the point of the fuse then? Seems like it should just be remove entirely.

Edit: ^^ yea, that

It's a fuse for the alternator. Toyotas use a fusible link ordinarily, IIRC. My guess is that somebody fried it trying to jump it backwards, then bodged up a replacement with the fuse because the fusible link was too expensive or difficult to fix.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

It's a fuse for the alternator. Toyotas use a fusible link ordinarily, IIRC. My guess is that somebody fried it trying to jump it backwards, then bodged up a replacement with the fuse because the fusible link was too expensive or difficult to fix.

That makes sense. If it's supposed to be a fusible link I'd be all over the dealership parts counter to put every last bit of that back to factory condition.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Fuses pretty much always go into some kind of holder. I always figured it was for electrical insulation, but being able to mount the fuse is great, and putting any mechanical load on the holder on the fuse is probably good too.

Also, the style of battery terminal connected to that fuse is not particularly reliable, especially when you clamp bare battery wire.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Crossposting from the off-road thread, as this may be a better place:

I have a 2021 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro. Resale is pretty nuts right now, and I can drat near do a new 1:1 trade for a 2022 Lexus GX460 Blackline in Nori Green. My TRD is a very capable off-roader, but I like some of the creature comforts and safety features of the GX460.

I currently use the 4runner for errands and a few roadtrips/camping/light off-roading.

Would this be a bad decision?

Lexus GX460

My 4Runner

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when you say pricewise it'd be a straight swap, are you accounting for taxes and fees in your area?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

arbybaconator posted:

Crossposting from the off-road thread, as this may be a better place:

I have a 2021 Lunar Rock 4Runner TRD Pro. Resale is pretty nuts right now, and I can drat near do a new 1:1 trade for a 2022 Lexus GX460 Blackline in Nori Green. My TRD is a very capable off-roader, but I like some of the creature comforts and safety features of the GX460.

I currently use the 4runner for errands and a few roadtrips/camping/light off-roading.

Would this be a bad decision?

Lexus GX460

My 4Runner

Are you planning to lift/build out the PradoGX?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Leperflesh posted:

when you say pricewise it'd be a straight swap, are you accounting for taxes and fees in your area?

That would come out of pocket. Not a problem though.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Are you planning to lift/build out the PradoGX?

Yes - I would plan to (over time) do some mods. Wheels/Tires/Suspension. Probably not for another year.

arbybaconator fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 3, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

arbybaconator posted:

That would come out of pocket. Not a problem though.

Yes - I would plan to (over time) do some mods. Wheels/Tires/Suspension. Probably not for another year though.

I mean, under all the bullshit it’s still a Prado. If you’re good with the internal space then it sounds like it’ll be plenty adequate for your off-road needs

Certainly a lot plushier and more comfortable than a 4Runner, though you won’t get chuds waving at you in a GX

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Lexus is ugly IMO :P

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
all my exes drive in lexus

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Lexus GX is a Land Cruiser Prado and for that reason it will outlast anything else. That appeals to me on a deep level so I'd easily switch if you can afford the V8 fuel costs.
More and more people are finding out that GXs are Land Cruisers which is why it's getting more difficult to find an old person one rather than one that's lifted with a giant bumper and a 6 inch lift and whatever else they slap on them, they all look the same to me.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deteriorata posted:

1) I seriously doubt it.

2) Yes, limp mode won't let the car shift out of first gear, generally, and keeps the rpms low. The car will run well enough to get to home or to a repair shop, but will run.

Gotcha. Wanted to make sure about that.

They had a reman'd engine installed not too long ago --3yr, unlimited miles against manufacturer defect-- and the company is one of those types that if you mention a part that wasn't included with the engine, they'll tell you it's not their problem.

It took the kind of planning that one usually has to use when dealing with a literal-interpretation sort of rear end in a top hat genie, but we got the claim started.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

wesleywillis posted:

Goon mentioned power steering 'motor' probably has electric assist power steering. My Corolla from 09 has it. Other than that I can't really assist.

If the motor does fail, you probably can still steer, it'll just be more difficult.

The Haynes manual only mentions hydraulic power steering for my 09 Matrix and I was tearing my hair out trying to find the drat thing and that is how I learned that newer vehicles have electric assist power steering.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Is there any reason that decent quality booster cables can't be used for regular battery cables? They're about 4 gauge iirc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Is there any reason that decent quality booster cables can't be used for regular battery cables? They're about 4 gauge iirc.

You mean like take the ends off the boosters? I think it's just a lot smaller gauge than most automotive main power lines to the loom. It's also really cheap to get power cable in a spool from Lordco/NAPA/etc, I did this awhile ago on another car to replace all the ground cables.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

You mean like take the ends off the boosters? I think it's just a lot smaller gauge than most automotive main power lines to the loom. It's also really cheap to get power cable in a spool from Lordco/NAPA/etc, I did this awhile ago on another car to replace all the ground cables.

Yeah cut the ends off and crimp some poo poo on them.
Napa is closed and I need the poo poo tomorrow morning.

It's not a car, small diesel engine on piece of drilling equipment.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Yeah cut the ends off and crimp some poo poo on them.
Napa is closed and I need the poo poo tomorrow morning.

It's not a car, small diesel engine on piece of drilling equipment.

I would say totally fine as a temporary thing just keep an eye on it and see if the cables start to feel warm, and obviously be careful that nobody would be injured if the power unexpectedly stops while they're operating whatever equipment.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I think 4awg is fairly typical and appropriate. That's what my xc90 uses. If you were going to cold crank continuously it might be a little small but that doesn't happen.

Disclaimer: figure out what your car is spec'd with and use that or larger

Edit: saw that it is not actually a car. Check out a wire ampacity chart for guidance if you can't find anything from the manufacturer
https://www.cerrowire.com/products/resources/tables-calculators/ampacity-charts/

taqueso fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 5, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I wouldn't be worried about ampacity. 4 sounds like it's fine.

I'd be worried about durability/suitability long term. For most jumper cables who knows what they are jacketed in. It's not marked. Maybe it doesn't last in heat/UV/whatever? But it's gonna work for tomorrow. And well into next month while you figure that out/source appropriate cable.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja, I'd be concerned about the insulation on it. Jumper cables are meant to be looped up for storage, so they use a more supple jacket for flexibility & because it doesn't have to endure charging loads for long. There's a reason that a replacement battery cable is stiff & unwieldy

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 5, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I won't lie, it'll probably be on there for a couple months*** before I get around to putting something proper on it. I actually had the right sized (gauge wise) fittings for the ends. I didn't have a proper crimping tool, but a vise seemed to work.

E: *** assuming this doesn't cause it to burn down.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I won't lie, it'll probably be on there for a couple months*** before I get around to putting something proper on it. I actually had the right sized (gauge wise) fittings for the ends. I didn't have a proper crimping tool, but a vise seemed to work.

E: *** assuming this doesn't cause it to burn down.

You can probably get an extra few months out of throwing some split loom over it after it's been installed :)