Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
*looks at my FF9 PlayOnline Guide with NEVER AGAIN carved into it*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Saint Freak posted:

*looks at my FF9 PlayOnline Guide with NEVER AGAIN carved into it*

*shudders*

*stares off blankly into the distance, flashes of the terrible layout of PlayOnline site pops into my minds eye*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUGTvh-WGvw

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I wanna say some of the dark soul guides were more behind the scenes books along with the guide information. There was in publisher who made some great ones but I don't remember who that was, I think they went out of business.

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Really digging the new variety in ancient sites, I'm excited to explore them. Also interested to see any new variations on Cauldrons as well. I wonder what those pink tendrils were. Coral?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

To me that looks like the red blight, indicating that whatever it is infects both organic and machine life.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
This datapoint from HZD about The Forbidden West is fun:

quote:

Reader, if you would know of the Forbidden West, there are none more qualified to be your teller than I, the Considerate Udain, healer of Blazon Arch. Why? For I yet live, unlike the outlanders who gasped or shrieked the tales that follow. Foolhardy blazons and madcaps all, they were brought to me near death, poisoned, mortally-wounded, or driven witless by what they had experienced in the lands beyond the Daunt. With such wounds, it was all I could do to ease their pain and try to make notes from their ranting.

As the Sun shines upon me, I cannot vouch for the full truth of these tales. I only hope they will satisfy your curiosity, and turn you from the path that led these imprudent explorers and daredevil trekkers to their deaths.

Though each account differs, it is certain that the Western lands are most unlike our own. Some crossed deserts of palest white, others deserts the color of fire, or even limitless sweeps of blue sand that seemed to reflect the sky above, broken only by the remains of ancient machines.

Others spoke of vast prairies of tall grass, each blade sharp enough to draw blood, dotted with shivering black flowers. Or incalculable plains of dried mud, cracked like a great mosaic.

At night, unknown animals watch with glowing eyes, and strange birds, all the colors of kites and fireworks, chitter and call out in men's voices!

Most extraordinary of all are those reports of a lake one hundred times the size of the Daybrink-- so wide the far shores cannot be made out, and so deep that an entire city of the ancients stands drowned within. The water is sour to the taste, and sickening, and it is said to rise up and push back against those who attempt to cross.

It would seem that dead cities without number have been consumed by the shifting dunes in the West, their skeletal towers mired in seas of sand. The wind is heard to sing a low, mournful song through these ruins, or through the skeletons of vast metal birds now fallen, or over great metal bowls now filled with depths of black water, where fish dart like shooting stars. That song of ruin, rising from a hum to a howl, still haunted these men and women as they thrashed and sweated in unquiet sleep.

But though the Western lands are harsh, and even their beauty hides dangers, it is not the land alone that swallows up all who venture within, that inflicts the brands and wounds suffered by those few fortunate enough to return. Oh yes, all have spoken of new machines in the West, machines more strange and terrible than any found in the Sundom. With their fingernails, dying witnesses have scratched out impossible shapes, or, if they still possessed several limbs and vocal organs, mimicked jerking movements and imitated awful sounds, all belonging in the throes of madness.

And what manner of men can live where the Sun goes at night? These tales were the most chilling. One spoke of drinkers of machine blood, their lips and tongues stained, their teeth replaced with metal. Another described youths as pale as ash, all wearing the same faces, who hunt silently and tirelessly in the night. Still another told of a tribe, seen only from afar, whose folk busied themselves digging deep pits in the sand only to fill them in again for unknowable reasons, while another tribe was only glimpsed on the waters of a great lake, riding their thin dark boats.

O Sun, a half of me regrets scribing these stories, for they inspire questions that can only be answered by yet more doomed expeditions. And yet, I must tell the tales, for what else remains of these poor and wretched men and women? If they sought riches, they found none to bring back--nothing save a handful of black silt, or a curiously-stamped piece of metal, a chunk of desert glass with shifting hue, or an odd smooth shell. I have kept all these things, to remind me of those who went in search of the forbidden, and paid for it dearly.

Reader, if you think yourself an adventurer--heed the warning in this old man's collection of strange, small things, and go not into the Forbidden West!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dang we're getting closer to the release date than I thought, I've basically tried to ignore everything about the game so the wait is easier. Now I'm in super hype mode, I loved the first enough enough to play it a few times and I can't wait for more :sweatdrop:

el oso posted:

This datapoint from HZD about The Forbidden West is fun:

That's awesome, I don't remember seeing it before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always thought it was a cool bit of worldbuilding how all the tribes call it the Forbidden West, but not because it's like, actually forbidden to go there or anything. It's just a name given by the dominant regional power after a failed colonial expedition that was eventually sort of adopted by everyone. It's kinda how like Wales literally meant "land of outsiders" to the Anglo-Saxons but it stuck around for centuries and now even native Welsh people call themselves a word that means "foreign." When you're the most organized and militant society in an area like the Carja, it's probably easy to imagine that you're at the center of everything.

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.

Ace Transmuter posted:

I mean... Thebes is still out there, somewhere. So presumably we'll find it at some point (see also: Elysium); but how much Ted Faro plays a role from there remains to be seen.

Ted Faro: Remains to be seen.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just incase anyone wants to brush up on the first game's plot now that we're nearing release I found this really comprehensive series of videos, part one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgD3zl7ChE

I know it was bullet pointed at the start of this thread but sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch pretty pictures while someone talks you through it all.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
What was disappointing about the first game is there is a colossal mountain sized robot sitting foreboding in the background for that whole game. I really hoped it would be reactivated. Instead all that happens is it releases a few giant mechs for a boss fight.

Give me a super colossal robot final boss fight this time please.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A final boss fight against a Metal Devil would be epic now that Aloy actually has the pullcaster to get around. I think that's been like one of the #1 most wishlisted things so I'd be delighted to finally see it happen.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I don't think there's a way for that fight to be believable in the world they've set up. A Horus can make more of itself and every other killbot while eating biomass. It took a squadron of troops with futuristic weapons a whole lot of effort and luck to take one down during Enduring Victory.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

zakharov posted:

I don't think there's a way for that fight to be believable in the world they've set up. A Horus can make more of itself and every other killbot while eating biomass. It took a squadron of troops with futuristic weapons a whole lot of effort and luck to take one down during Enduring Victory.

Sure there is, have the Horus be half-buried in a mountain with only a couple of tentacles free, and make it so the fight is to stop it from digging itself out. Aloy will need to hookshot up to take out a power source / AI core / other macguffin to save the day.

e: And have it be located in the deep desert / high mountain, so the only available biomass is the human enemies (or your allies to make it grimdark, though having the bad guys be slurped up is also horrifying).

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 6, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Too soon, Sylens! You have awakened me too soon!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean fun as it sounds they would have to make so many excuses for a Horus booting up not immediately be the start of another extinction event that I can't imagine it would be very fun.

On the flip side, what if Aloy is the one that boots up the Horus and pilots it :getin:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For my part, I like that the Horus units we see in H:ZD are these desiccated fossils of scorpion kaiju that somehow still seem menacing despite being inert. Like, they're big enough to show up on the overworld map. That's scary enough

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think I have to say I disagree, something like that would be too gimmicky and would push the series into Marvel-grade science fiction. The first game managed the incredible feat of making a believable premise out of a tribal world that had mechanical dinosaurs and giraffes roaming around, but it's a really fine line to walk and having huge mountain-sized doc-oc things rearing about would probably push it to the wrong side of ridiculous spectacle. I think the Horuses work best as a foreboding, ever-visible reminder on the horizon (geddit?) of the force that the excesses of the previous civilisation created to destroy itself. Imagining the terror of what facing up to that thing in all its titanic fully-operational horror must have been like will always be more effective than actually seeing it, and then video-gaming your way around it to get to its weak-points and bringing it down in three scripted stages.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cactus posted:

I think I have to say I disagree, something like that would be too gimmicky and would push the series into Marvel-grade science fiction. The first game managed the incredible feat of making a believable premise out of a tribal world that had mechanical dinosaurs and giraffes roaming around, but it's a really fine line to walk and having huge mountain-sized doc-oc things rearing about would probably push it to the wrong side of ridiculous spectacle. I think the Horuses work best as a foreboding, ever-visible reminder on the horizon (geddit?) of the force that the excesses of the previous civilisation created to destroy itself. Imagining the terror of what facing up to that thing in all its titanic fully-operational horror must have been like will always be more effective than actually seeing it, and then video-gaming your way around it to get to its weak-points and bringing it down in three scripted stages.

I think that's pretty much right. I don't think it'd be impossible for them to pull off a fight sequence that worked within the setting, but I think the odds are stacked high enough against it that making it largely a piece of environmental storytelling was definitely the right choice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I think we're going to see a Horus move by the end of the game but we're not going to be plinking at it with a bow until it falls down, something else will happen to shut it down again

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

haveblue posted:

I think we're going to see a Horus move by the end of the game but we're not going to be plinking at it with a bow until it falls down, something else will happen to shut it down again

You're probably right, but I'm really hoping the story goes in a completely new direction none of us are expecting. Horuses were part of the Faro Plague, which was one of the main focuses of the first game; it was revealed and explained to the player, the threat of someone re-awakening it was presented, and then it was dealt with. Having it be the threat again for this game might start to feel repetitive. Leave the swarm in the ground to fossilize, I reckon.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

haveblue posted:

It will be revealed that Horus was a Warhammer 40K (or 30K) crossover all the time, and at the 50% mark you start fighting Chaos Space Marines.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I kinda get what you're saying about sci-fi spectacle though, the first game gave me that sort of feeling at the end when there was giant energy waves filling the sky and an AI personified as a flying ball of light and Aloy making multiple visits to cyberspace. Some of that can be explained as Focus tricks but it did eat away at the realism a little

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

While I wouldn't want the relatively grounded sci-fi of Horizon to become MGRR levels of stupid, I do think there's some value at the end of a long journey to pull back the curtain a little bit and end the game with some truly Epic poo poo. Everyone remembers and criticizes those underwhelming final boss sequences but I can't really recall any games where I thought "oh, this is simply too much."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

haveblue posted:

I kinda get what you're saying about sci-fi spectacle though, the first game gave me that sort of feeling at the end when there was giant energy waves filling the sky and an AI personified as a flying ball of light and Aloy making multiple visits to cyberspace. Some of that can be explained as Focus tricks but it did eat away at the realism a little

Yeah I definitely felt that. The way the machines started eating the biomass with that swirly red energy that flowed into them was at odds with the really graphic descriptions we'd been getting drip-fed in some of the lore recordings we'd found throughout the game. I'm not saying I wanted to see people getting ground up into a bony red paste and unceromoniously slurped up (although that would have been a horribly disturbing thing to see that would have given the threat a truly cold, unliving, not-even-evil, just mechanically uncaring type of feel) but we could have seen them grind up trees and then extrapolate what that would look like if they were allowed to get to humans.

And then the way Hades sort of became this red genie-thing that flew into Sylens' little glass container, that was a bit cheesy as well.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

So I read somewhere that I can just buy the PS4 version for 60 and they will auto upgrade to the ps5 version? If I buy the ps5 version it's 70 I think?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

So I read somewhere that I can just buy the PS4 version for 60 and they will auto upgrade to the ps5 version? If I buy the ps5 version it's 70 I think?

Yes they got bullied into keeping FW as a PS5 launch title so it's entitled to a free upgrade. There's zero reason to get the PS5 version (unless i guess this doesn't apply to digital? Im not sure I gotta look up the exact conditions). It's the last Sony game to get this.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

And then the way Hades sort of became this red genie-thing that flew into Sylens' little glass container, that was a bit cheesy as well.

It was ridiculous, my eyes rolled all the way around my skull, but I guess they decided it was better than showing Sylens use his focus to get a Wi-fi connection to select "HadesV.4.994" from a list and wait for it to download.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

It was ridiculous, my eyes rolled all the way around my skull, but I guess they decided it was better than showing Sylens use his focus to get a Wi-fi connection to select "HadesV.4.994" from a list and wait for it to download.

I wonder how much of it was actual floaty magic color bullshit and how much was just a focus interpretation of the signal. It's a hard thing to actually show.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's the baffling thing for a story that was otherwise pretty grounded in near-to-mid future tech, I think something exactly like what you just described would've been infinitely better than what we saw. Sylens must have had to somehow learn some kind of coding language to accomplish all the stuff he managed to do by reverse-engineering the focuses and how they were networked together. One way that it could be explained, for example, would be by him having found a focus in a ruin somewhere that had locally saved copies of beginner/intermediate/expert tutorial modules on it and him spending years going through them - a good opportunity for this to be expositioned would have been when we were in his little study room where we got the spear from him. Or, after he rescues Aloy from the arena and gives her a new focus he could have said something like "I took the precaution of backing up the information on your focus, here" and we see a little purple graphic of "Transfering file: focus_BackupProfile_Aloy1" or something, just to set up that this is how it works and then that final scene with "HadesV.4.994" would make more sense.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The old world tech we see is about as realistic as Star Wars or Star Trek :techno:. Its probably best to hum the MST3K theme song and not think about it too hard. Look at the focus: Aloy's first focus was sitting on a corpse in a damp cave for almost a thousand years yet is still fully functional and has enough charge to still be functioning ten years later.

I mean this is how the Faro bots work right? The black death cloud they send out to "eat" is supposed to be a nano machine swarm of some sort. And then they have some sort of on board Star Trek replicator tech to repair and rearm. Horus' use the same replicator tech to magic out other bots. You even see it in the cauldrons where machines are being 3D printed with light beams.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

:hmmyes:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

MH Knights posted:

The old world tech we see is about as realistic as Star Wars or Star Trek :techno:. Its probably best to hum the MST3K theme song and not think about it too hard. Look at the focus: Aloy's first focus was sitting on a corpse in a damp cave for almost a thousand years yet is still fully functional and has enough charge to still be functioning ten years later.

I mean this is how the Faro bots work right? The black death cloud they send out to "eat" is supposed to be a nano machine swarm of some sort. And then they have some sort of on board Star Trek replicator tech to repair and rearm. Horus' use the same replicator tech to magic out other bots. You even see it in the cauldrons where machines are being 3D printed with light beams.

I mean loving hell yeah of course there's a bunch of suspension of disbelief required for any science fiction to work. It's science fiction, after all. But to go from cloning, 3D printing, long-lasting nano-materials and storage solutions, to magic red tendrils that connect everything and convert biomatter into robots and then the main AI becomes a magic red ball of light that can be contained in a glass lantern is just a little tonally jarring, is all I'm saying. It's all science fiction, it just seems like it's coming from two tonally distinct types of science fiction that don't gel well together.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wonder how much of it was actual floaty magic color bullshit and how much was just a focus interpretation of the signal. It's a hard thing to actually show.

That would be a good explanation, particularly with all the Gaia stuff, which was like if Bill Gates' Clippy dreams had all come true far into the future ("Hi, it looks like you want to terraform a robotically sterilized planet..."). However, Sylens' nifty lantern storage device physically rocks from the impact when the file download arrives. So I think we have to chalk it up to GG going with the movie maxim of, "Show, don't tell," and then going really overboard with it. It also ties in to the corrupters hacking the other machines by firing their little red whatevers at the machines rather than physically hooking up with them or connecting wirelessly.

Because I'm a loser that way, I tend to visualize things how I would depict them if I did a movie or TV series of them, so I pictured it as Sylens with a nicely jury-rigged receiver integrated with his focus scanning around the sky looking for the signal until he finds it. The focus depicts the signal flowing into his receiver, just not quite as much like an organic object. I like to find a way to preserve the goofy futuristic/old aesthetic but make it a bit more believable.

Assuming we have to maintain a physical attack rather than wireless, I envision the corrupters working by shooting little spider bots that run to the connection port on the machine, interface, and then hack the machine and send the control signal back to the corrupter and goddamn I've got too much free time.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

And all of that would be very cool and believable if it were shown to be that way, but it is not. It's shown as magic red swirly rays that transmit information and/or biomass.

Anyway, Sylens is such a dick in the best possible way. I just got to the bit in my playthrough where Aloy is coming up toward the disabled Tallneck and Sylens basically says to her after listening to some guy lament about how he came to be a loving cult member: "He has a focus you seem to lack" as though not being a brainwashed religious fundamentalist is a mark against her.

In fact, Sylens, the fact she is not beholden to any religeous beliefs is why she got as far as she did and you of all people should know that so why are you busting her balls, so to speak, for not being like some random zealot whose recordings she just listened to?

"Trust is for fools. It shifts and crumbles like sand."

God I love/hate this character he's so compelling.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 7, 2022

Simulation883
Jan 1, 2007

Cactus posted:

And all of that would be very cool and believable if it were shown to be that way, but it is not. It's shown as magic red swirly rays that transmit information and/or biomass.

Anyway, Sylens is such a dick in the best possible way. I just got to the bit in my playthrough where Aloy is coming up toward the disabled Tallneck and Sylens basically says to her after listening to some guy lament about how he came to be a loving cult member: "He has a focus you seem to lack" as though not being a brainwashed religious fundamentalist is a mark against her.

In fact, Sylens, the fact she is not beholden to any religeous beliefs is why she got as far as she did and you of all people should know that so why are you busting her balls, so to speak, for not being like some random zealot whose recordings she just listened to?

"Trust is for fools. It shifts and crumbles like sand."

God I love/hate this character he's so compelling.

Sylens is such a fun character. Though I'd hate anyone like him in real life, he's amazing to watch and listen to. It's so funny when he tries to explain to Aloy when the Earth is round when she already figured it out. "We-we'll talk about this later."

Also, I just realized the Monday after the game releases is a holiday. So excited for those 4 days.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I have two loving weeks booked off after Forbiden West is released! (not because of this game specifically, haha; no, because if I didn't book them before April I'd lose them, so after Forbidden West it became!)

And yeah I totally love the barbed insult directed at all Flat Earthers "Why would I think that; the Earth's shadow on the moon is curved...God Sylens, you're such a dolt!" I could just see the idiots that was addressed to seething at yet another slight that Reality delivered. Even a "primitive" tribeswoman could see what those idiots willfuly refuse to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Cactus posted:

Right. Thanks for clarifying.