Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I can see it now: Les reads the book and tells her that murder mysteries don't sell, and what she really needs to do is a write a memoir about someone tragically dying of cancer.

What if the murderer ... :crossarms: was CANCER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Hempuli posted:

Fire Movie

(This whole chapter is really creepy to me; the way all of Shauna's friends got mind-controlled like that & the way they look pale and sick due to apparently eating only onions for the past how long is scary!)

Tackleford Trainspotting

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Powered Descent posted:

That's a long story, but I want to say it's been a couple of years now. The former Mark Trail artist, James Allen, had thoroughly established himself as a right-wing shithead, but the final straw was when he used the official Mark Trail twitter account to make sexually inappropriate jokes about a congresswoman. He was finally removed by the syndicate, and replaced by a new artist, Jules Rivera, who has introduced such radical ideas as "actually drawing everything instead of endlessly recycling clip art", and "updating the characters to not be quite so 1950s", and even "acknowledging the reality of things like climate change".

And that doesn't even get into how one of the last villains in Allen's run on the strip was based on one of the posters in this thread. Or how people mocking him on Twitter caused him to try actually drawing some of his own art instead of cut-and-pasting Jack Elrod's old sketches, with hilarious results.

CzarChasm posted:

You left out the part where said villain was a Bigfoot/Yeti conspiracy nut, who claimed that said cryptid took his leg, but it was actually juvenile diabetes. Also, dude died in an avalanche. Alone. It was a fuckin trip.

Zereth posted:

Technically we don't know that he died, Mark and company did not look for him. At all. They just watched him run off and the avalanche and went "well, sucks to be him" and went home.

I was actually invited onto a podcast to explain this whole story recently, the concept is that every guest answers the question "what is the strangest thing that's ever happened to you?" and my answer was.... well, this.
https://paranoiahappyhour.buzzsprout.com/1873883/9970409-happy-hour-fourteen-wam-bam-pow-you-re-a-comic-book-villain

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

God this strip rules

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Transmodiar posted:

I've been thinking about doing something, and then you go and share this news. So, what the hell!
Modesty Blase: In the Beginning

Hell yes

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not entirely sure here why the King wants to wear a woman's bathing suit.

The queen can wear whatever she wants :colbert:

Also it's pretty low-key about it but Oaky Doaks has very impressive art.

Vintage Valiant (Aug. 07, 1949)

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Some real loving detail in the panels with The Wall

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

What is with Beeman and his concern over his words being recorded and used against him in court? Why does this keep coming up? This is feeling like how the Onion political cartoons keep having things that are very personal treated as general concerns, but not a joke.

Beeman is old enough to remember when "breach of promise" lawsuits were a big deal (at least in the media).

v Sorry, I copied the wrong URL. It should work now.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 3, 2022

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

Beeman is old enough to remember when "breach of promise" lawsuits were a big deal (at least in the media).
Is that link supposed to be to the "reply to my post" link? Did... did I breach a promise?? :ohdear:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

EBB posted:

Some real loving detail in the panels with The Wall

Don't you mean "The Wall"?

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Here ends Steeple volume three! We’ve reached the end of the material that will be collected next summer by Dark Horse. I have a lot of prospective projects on my slate for 2022 (I’m writing this in early November ’21) so I’m not certain right now when we’ll be back in Tredregyn, but I have plenty more stories to tell from Cornwall, so I’m sure it won’t be too long.

Thank you to Sammy Borras for her beautiful colours throughout Clotted Crime. And thank you to everyone who has kept the comments so lively. I hope to see you for the next thing.

So that wraps up Steeple: Clotted Crime, what are the thread's thoughts? I felt a bit awkward posting it here as it's technically not a newspaper comic, but this thread has a lot of fans of Allison and I figured they would enjoy it. Unfortunately, as Allison stated, he will be taking a hiatus from Steeple for a while, so we won't see what Magus Tom has planned for the Jason-creature. Fortunately Allison will be starting another comic next Monday on his Forward Slash Scare site, which hosted the Circus Windows comic staring Lottie and Mildred that I posted in last years thread. That said I don't know exactly what this new comic will be about. I had assumed Allison was going to do another Lottie comic, but now I'm not so sure. It may be another Shelly Winters story, or it might feature another one of his characters, such as Esther De Groot or Mildred Haversham (Allison had talked about doing a Mildred comic in the afterword of the last New Bobbins collection). It might even be something wholly original, who knows (well Allison does, but apart from him...).

Also here is the cover, with art by Max Sarin, for the third Steeple collection coming out this summer. This collection includes Christmas with Clovis, Author Unknown (the Lottie/Steeple crossover) and Clotted Crime.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

The_Other posted:

Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 4 – Jason Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

So that wraps up Steeple: Clotted Crime, what are the thread's thoughts? I felt a bit awkward posting it here as it's technically not a newspaper comic, but this thread has a lot of fans of Allison and I figured they would enjoy it. Unfortunately, as Allison stated, he will be taking a hiatus from Steeple for a while, so we won't see what Magus Tom has planned for the Jason-creature. Fortunately Allison will be starting another comic next Monday on his Forward Slash Scare site, which hosted the Circus Windows comic staring Lottie and Mildred that I posted in last years thread. That said I don't know exactly what this new comic will be about. I had assumed Allison was going to do another Lottie comic, but now I'm not so sure. It may be another Shelly Winters story, or it might feature another one of his characters, such as Esther De Groot or Mildred Haversham (Allison had talked about doing a Mildred comic in the afterword of the last New Bobbins collection). It might even be something wholly original, who knows (well Allison does, but apart from him...).

Also here is the cover, with art by Max Sarin, for the third Steeple collection coming out this summer. This collection includes Christmas with Clovis, Author Unknown (the Lottie/Steeple crossover) and Clotted Crime.

I miss Shauna. But apparently Allison doesn't have any more stories for her.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Fighting Trousers posted:

Has he done anything with Jack, Sonny, and Linton since Bad Machinery ended? I can't remember seeing them anywhere.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Steeple grew on me, it is good.

Jucika "11 - Jucika learns to play Tennis"

"12 - Jucika arranges a Big Cleaning"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail gets an extra strip today to line it up with Boondocks, because that's been bugging me.

Popcom (double Gas edition)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I guess she'll die. :ohdear:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Selachian posted:

Has he done anything with Jack, Sonny, and Linton since Bad Machinery ended? I can't remember seeing them anywhere.

From Allison's afterword to the tenth and last Bad Machinery book:

John Allison posted:

The most important question, now that the casebook is closed, is what will happen to the mystery kids? Is this really their last case? I think for most of them, it is. But then, they're pretty weird kids. Jack is going to spend a lot of time trying to play his guitar and worrying about his hair. Maybe he'll record some terrible raps and never play them to anyone. Sonny goes with the flow. He deserves a rest from danger. Shauna has a lot of interests and a huge brain, and it's time she got a chance to explore more than what local ne'er do wells are up to. Mildred is a barely-corked bottle of trouble and I think the next few years are going to be quite naughty for her. Let's hope she stays out of jail (she probably will – just). Linton's future is foggy to me. He believes in justice. He believes in truth. I feel like he will be interested in mystery . But he is a handsome lad and and I have the sense that he may soon be distracted by some beautiful eyes.

Hopefully the eyes will be in a face and not just floating around.

It seems to me, Lottie Grote will always have mystery in her heart. Nothing is going to stop her looking for it. And in Little Claire she has a friend who is not only loyal, but also somewhat of a mystery too. Does Lottie know Claire is a firestarter? My guess is she always has. She likes her anyway. And who wouldn't? Claire is a total sweetheart. That twosome is a friendship with legs.
Anyway here were are. The end of the series. Thank you for sharing these adventures with me. I hope to see you back in Tackleford one day.

It seems like Jack, Sonny, Linton, and Shauna's adventuring days are over, not that Allison couldn't write more stories with the characters, but they would probably be more slice-of-life style stories, like Giant Days, than the mysteries and adventures they got up to in Bad Machinery. That's probably because the boys and Shauna were, at least towards the end of Bad Machinery, more down-to-earth and practical, while Mildred was always a bit of wild-child and Lottie is still obsessed with mystery. Allison also stated in the afterword for the the last New Bobbins collection that when we was working on Circus Windows he began to realize that he had run out of ideas for stories set in Tackleford and wanted to move on from that setting.

The_Other fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 3, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I also kind of feel like Mildred and Jack didn't really have that protagonist quality, while using Shauna, Linton, or Sonny would probably mean going farther into serious issues about class, race, and queerness in modern Britain than Allison really wanted to go into in his comic about funny children solving mysteries.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Other posted:

So that wraps up Steeple: Clotted Crime, what are the thread's thoughts?

I love these characters and enjoy the comics a lot!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Pre-holiday secrecy (51/1936)

Now with inline translation!

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I liked the Steeple stuff, it was interesting even though I've really only read the stuff from Allison that's been posted in this thread. For that matter, I remember not liking this Bad Machinery arc as much and it's just because of how it affects Shauna and Lottie's relationship going forward.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EBB posted:

I'm hoping they move on from Wilbur for a while honestly
I get the feeling they are. I can't make any guarantees obviously but this has been going on a while and this looks like a good place to leave things for now.

From what I hear no one wants to move on from Wilbur more than Karen Moy.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"A man who enjoys being feared is no man at all"

Isn't she a pirate captain? And friend of the Phantom? lol

is this a "We don't personally enjoy the fear, it's just necessary for our work" situation

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

shes gonna kill that dude and simultaneously cause like 15 different international incidents

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do syndicated comic strip writers not have the liberty to do what they want with their characters? Could Moy not have legit killed off Wilbur in his richly deserving watery grave?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nancy as Ted Rall.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: In the Beginning

Next Time: "La Machine"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

From what I hear no one wants to move on from Wilbur more than Karen Moy.

In that case, she had the perfect opportunity to kill him and she didn't take it. And the strip is much worse off for it.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

In that case, she had the perfect opportunity to kill him and she didn't take it. And the strip is much worse off for it.

I feel like Wilbur being a huge loser is probably more interesting than any of the other Mary Worth stories.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Calaveron posted:

Do syndicated comic strip writers not have the liberty to do what they want with their characters? Could Moy not have legit killed off Wilbur in his richly deserving watery grave?
Of course not. The syndicate owns it and wouldn't want to lose any of their IP.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing has made Mary look so much worse as a character too. She's essentially been pressing Estelle to stay in a toxic relationship.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I feel like I know where this is going and I hope it doesn't make her mad at him. :ohdear:
Depends on if you thought it was going to get... horny :wiggle:
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

Night Visitors

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Bloop posted:

"A man who enjoys being feared is no man at all"

Isn't she a pirate captain? And friend of the Phantom? lol

is this a "We don't personally enjoy the fear, it's just necessary for our work" situation

"The fear is just incidental to the things we really enjoy"

In the phantom's case, that's actually just wearing purple spandex

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Depends on if you thought it was going to get... horny :wiggle:
Uramachi Sakaba

the panels of them being all lovey dovey while her hands & his face are covered in rice are killing me

quote:

Night Visitors

always with the hanging and the smoking for four days with that guy

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

can't say I don't like to hang and smoke

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I wish random foods visited my dwelling at night :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why can't I find somebody to hornily eat rice balls with

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

God this strip rules

Oh my god. A single panel, no recurring characters, and you can instantly fill in whole paragraphs about those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Wouldn't it be on scammer guy to prove he made the dogs first? Does anyone really think he's going to spend the money on an actual lawsuit? Why am I thinking this much about a half baked Rex Morgan plot?