Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
New gameplay overview is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqLR6Msvg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
A combo system makes a lot of sense and it's kind of weird how little past games have thought about this sort of thing.

Also having dodges/blocks/combo breakers is a really nice addition because by the time you got to 2k19/2k20 it felt like the entire gameplay boiled down to "Who runs out of Reversals first" cause if you didn't have Reversals there was basically nothing you could do to defend yourself unless the other player hosed a move up or it glitched out or something.

I wish they'd change up the referee's AI/animations cause it always annoyed me how often the referee would just wander into you or in between you/your opponent and that doesn't seem to be any different here.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

nL were already the greatest of all time before it

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Drakkel posted:

A combo system makes a lot of sense and it's kind of weird how little past games have thought about this sort of thing.

Also having dodges/blocks/combo breakers is a really nice addition because by the time you got to 2k19/2k20 it felt like the entire gameplay boiled down to "Who runs out of Reversals first" cause if you didn't have Reversals there was basically nothing you could do to defend yourself unless the other player hosed a move up or it glitched out or something.

I wish they'd change up the referee's AI/animations cause it always annoyed me how often the referee would just wander into you or in between you/your opponent and that doesn't seem to be any different here.

Yeah, I think this actually looks like some decent improvements.

I HATED the reversal system. As you said, whoever runs out first typically loses the match, but some characters could have more reversal slots so if you had anything but the max, you were likely to lose against someone with more reversals.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm laughing at the guy saying "I didn't have to learn every superstar's moveset."

You never had to do that. Everyone's the same.

And every fricking year they're like "This year is just pick up and play!"

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Their new WWE game still looks unfun. Oops

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

"Pick up and play" like hell. Listening to them describe all the various buttons you have to push to avoid simple attacks. This is the exact opposite of pick up and play.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
To me, it looks like It Hits Differenttm

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Davros1 posted:

I'm laughing at the guy saying "I didn't have to learn every superstar's moveset."

You never had to do that. Everyone's the same.

And every fricking year they're like "This year is just pick up and play!"

lol "learning a moveset" as though it's a loving fighting game. No one has ever, ever cared about this. When I press Grapple in No Mercy I don't think about "oh gently caress is Down+A the powerbomb or the piledriver!?"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

"Pick up and play" like hell. Listening to them describe all the various buttons you have to push to avoid simple attacks. This is the exact opposite of pick up and play.

I mean it really boils down to "if you hit the same button your opponent did you might be able to stop their combo"

I'd take it over "Oh you're out of Reversals? Guess you lose the match lol"

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

beggar posted:

To me, it looks like It Hits Differenttm

“You put an S in front of hits different and you get my opinion of 2K22”

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fixing the system by turning it into an anticipatory same-input parry system seems like a really, really bad idea to me.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Drakkel posted:

I mean it really boils down to "if you hit the same button your opponent did you might be able to stop their combo"

I'd take it over "Oh you're out of Reversals? Guess you lose the match lol"

I'd rather go back to "push shoulder button to block/reverse" any attack and no limits on reversals.

Also love them talking about dropping the limits on reversals like they weren't the asses who implemented them in the first place.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

CarlCX posted:

Fixing the system by turning it into an anticipatory same-input parry system seems like a really, really bad idea to me.

I'm pretty sure WWE Battleground used a similar system. And since the game only had a handful of animations for each move, it quickly became very very easy to know exactly what input to parry with. Online matches were an endless series of parrying until someone lagged enough to miss it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Drakkel posted:

Oh great, AEW Referee AI

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Davros1 posted:

Also love them talking about dropping the limits on reversals like they weren't the asses who implemented them in the first place.

Technically that was Yukes that did that

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Drakkel posted:

Technically that was Yukes that did that

I'm guessing they didn't want that since there has been an option to disable it for years.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm guessing they didn't want that since there has been an option to disable it for years.

I mean going from their own statements it sounds like Yukes hadn't been very happy with how the games were going for years but the problem any studio's gonna run into with that annual schedule is there's only so much you can do with that little time.

Literally the only reason 2k22 has any chance of being good is the fact they've had an extra 2 years to work on it, and even then we still aren't sure it's gonna be that much better...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheSDHotel/status/1488921569627934724?s=20&t=EHMa639fr91nRb349nnyxQ

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Adam Cole, doriangray

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Love that thousand yard stare on Beth. Very natural.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

She received a vision that the women’s revolution would end in 2019

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
very generous to old man michael's hair

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
a virtual thunderdome is so fkn funny and also its really weird and creepy that theyll be using the video from the ppl who were on the screens (i mean this was inevitable, ofc wwe would have that footage forever, still creepy and weird lol) bravo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I see that they still have that star system which encourages long, drawn out one sided matches

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

shiksa posted:

a virtual thunderdome is so fkn funny and also its really weird and creepy that theyll be using the video from the ppl who were on the screens (i mean this was inevitable, ofc wwe would have that footage forever, still creepy and weird lol) bravo

Maybe you could customize them, finally allowing for a dream match of two big men slappin meat in an arena of hundreds of Waluigis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just have every screen playing public domain films

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I see that they still have that star system which encourages long, drawn out one sided matches

"MDickie has a cool mechanic in his game that we don't" - fine, understandable, just make sure you make it unjanky when you steal it

"We took MDickie's concept and implemented it worse than he did, it's terrible in execution" - scientists had long thought this was only a theoretical outcome

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Paracaidas posted:

"MDickie has a cool mechanic in his game that we don't" - fine, understandable, just make sure you make it unjanky when you steal it

"We took MDickie's concept and implemented it worse than he did, it's terrible in execution" - scientists had long thought this was only a theoretical outcome

CAN I JUST HAVE THE FORM TAG TEAM PROMO FORM A loving TAG TEAM PUH-LEEEEEESE

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Bring back the storyline editor. That was the best feature they’ve ever had. You could even download those made by others, and they came complete with any custom assets used.

Spent a whole weekend making a Jeff Hardy is hosed up but passes every drug test story. I’m the Nostradamus of wrestling.

he was huffing face paint to dodge the tests

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fly Ricky posted:

Bring back the storyline editor. That was the best feature they’ve ever had. You could even download those made by others, and they came complete with any custom assets used.

Spent a whole weekend making a Jeff Hardy is hosed up but passes every drug test story. I’m the Nostradamus of wrestling.

Did you have a bit where he repeated an angle from over a decade prior and hurled a cup of urine at his opponent because Vince is an absolute nutcase?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Like all wrestling games, depends on how this thing plays... I'll put in a hold for it at my library I guess, but I'm not running out to buy it.

The game certainly looks like it will control better though. I like the button mashing system, it makes it easier to play with my kid since they were horrible at using the timing system.

My biggest problem with this game is that they've just killed my interest in the roster. I have no interest in playing as Sheamus or Damien Priest. The most intriguing thing about an AEW game is to play as people like Darby Allin and Jungle Boy for the first time. I'll likely end up passing on 2K22 unless it has a really good legends roster

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

My biggest problem with this game is that they've just killed my interest in the roster. I have no interest in playing as Sheamus or Damien Priest. The most intriguing thing about an AEW game is to play as people like Darby Allin and Jungle Boy for the first time. I'll likely end up passing on 2K22 unless it has a really good legends roster

You'll get your 5 HHHs and a nonplayable manager Ted DiBiase and like it, dammit.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Fly Ricky posted:

chocolate drop

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

If its good I'll probably get it, I've been itching for a wrestling game and I don't think I can wait for AEW's.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah if it controls well and doesn't lock a significant amount of the creation assets behind DLC or endless grinding I'm happy to make this into an AEW game until the actual one comes out. I've made the last 3-4 WWE games into defacto AEW or NJPW games using CAWs anyway.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So it looks like the "new" combo system they're touting is just the same thing that's been in the games for ages (where you tap the same strike button three times in a row to do three different strikes in quick succession)

bartok
May 10, 2006

Wasn't there a rumor that 2K was looking to add a ton of microtransactions similar to how they ruined the NBA2K series?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Fly Ricky posted:

I like that you couldn’t say Christian because it was censored, so you referred to him as “Edge’s friends that I don’t like”.

But nothing in any create a story will be as good as “the Goldust mysteries”. First, because Drew McIntyre spoke in phonetic Scottish. (“Wait wait”became “wet wet”.)

But the best part comes about half an hour into the story. For the first time they cut to
King and JR. This is the scene in its entirety:

KING: JR, what do you think about all these Goldust mysteries?
JR: Frankly King, I don’t care if he lives or dies!

—-It never cut back to them again.—-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

I like that you couldn’t say Christian because it was censored, so you referred to him as “Edge’s friends that I don’t like”.

But nothing in any create a story will be as good as “the Goldust mysteries”. First, because Drew McIntyre spoke in phonetic Scottish. (“Wait wait”became “wet wet”.)

But the best part comes about half an hour into the story. For the first time they cut to
King and JR. This is the scene in its entirety:

KING: JR, what do you think about all these Goldust mysteries?
JR: Frankly King, I don’t care if he lives or dies!

—-It never cut back to them again.—-

King and JR as Statler and Waldorf is a pretty good gag