Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Luke looked into Bens mind and saw that he was the kind of person to put tomato sauce on a 50 steak. The kind of animal that says Princess Bride is "kind of okay". The kind of monster that has wire hangers in their closet. Who can blame Luke for losing his marbles? We should all be applauding the fact that Luke was able to control himself in the face of such outrageous misdeeds

I mean, it makes as much sense as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I was actually going to say (before deciding that the post was already a bit too long :sweatdrop:) that the problem may be that we the viewers are intimately aware of how the Jedi Order failed Anakin, and that we might be applying that situation to how Luke is going to fail Ben...except that the situations aren't really comparable at all. We're thinking "Oh right, that old rigid impersonal detached Jedi Code was what made Anakin go bad, so clearly that's going to the problem here with Luke and Ben...it's like poetry, it rhymes!" but that's actually making a lot of false equivalencies, connecting a lot of dots and strings that simply aren't there.

How, specifically, will adherence to Jedi ways fail Ben? Putting aside the jaw-droppingly awful writing decision of Snoke just able to turn someone to the dark side across time and space with telepathic bad mojo over time, the question then is how much or how little Luke or Ben's attachment to things (what things, exactly? Who knows!) may have led to that disastrous moment in the tent, and the answer quite simply is that there's no way to know. Attachment, quite frankly, had barely anything to do with what little we know about that situation.

The real actual meaningful conflict, in that instance, was whether it's okay to kill someone who may not be completely bad yet in order to prevent them from possibly doing unspeakably bad things in the future. And it's hard to say how exactly the Jedi doctrine would interpret such a situation. Was there any situation in-canon where a Jedi sensed something unimaginably dark about someone and killed them in advance before they could do those dark things? I think it would be pretty easy to argue that such rashness would go against the Jedi code. The OT certainly presents it so that being a true Jedi is about believing that there is good in someone no matter what they've done, and that the "real" Jedi way is about giving even someone who has done terrible things that that second chance so that they can redeem themselves. But TLJ will have you believe that this sort of sentiment is what "failed" Luke and Ben? Like, the throughline of TLJ is that the Jedi Code leads directly to child murder somehow but I'm pretty sure the Jedi had some pretty strong beliefs against doing that sooooo what are we supposed to do here

Hence, the writing of TLJ being rather garbled and inconsistent and so any attempts to line it up coherently with any other stories is likely an exercise in futility, especially considering that I'm pretty sure Filoni and Favreau and everyone else are kind of winging it as they go :sweatdrop:. Like, we can talk about there being grand plans and how certain things are making sense with other things but like...I think that if there's anything that this season of Bobba Fet shows, it's that they're basically playing a lot of this by ear,

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'll still never forgive them for not continuing with the "more people are connected to the Force than just the ~speshul chozin wunz~" idea.

You mean the prequels

quote:

Like, the throughline of TLJ is that the Jedi Code leads directly to child murder somehow but I'm pretty sure the Jedi had some pretty strong beliefs against doing that sooooo what are we supposed to do here
Luke worshipping and hating the sacred Jedi texts is all on Rian. For all we know, his Jedi academy could have been more like Yoda's training in Dagobah, since he has no reason to worship the Jedi pre-empire.

Spermando fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 3, 2022

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

BrianWilly posted:

Let's say Luke was too much of a traditional Jedi, forgoing attachments and adhering too much to blind doctrine. How does that actually lead to his mistake then? A bajillion Jedi Masters have existed who trained a bajillion Jadi Padawans, all while preaching detachment, and there haven't been a bajillion child murders in the order.

It's led to dozens of genocidal galactic wars over thousands of years?

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Did Ben Solo have to forego seeing his parents when he was in Luke's school? I don't remember how they talked about their son.

I do remember Han turned him to the light side again, so he can't have been completely detached.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Raylan Givens v Cad Bane in a QuickDraw showdown is something I never knew I needed.

10/10

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Something about Bane pumping that deputy full of lead plasma? felt a little off and now I'm thinking it's because I don't recall seeing a pistol-style blaster fire that fast before in Star Wars.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Something about Bane pumping that deputy full of lead plasma? felt a little off and now I'm thinking it's because I don't recall seeing a pistol-style blaster fire that fast before in Star Wars.

There’s plenty in the video games. Keep in mind that Han’s blaster is actually just a sniper rifle. The clone sidearm blasters like the ones Rex uses in the show can shoot really fast.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
People are projecting way too hard into Din. He's not really a high concept thinker in anything shown so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bane had a six shooter blaster. Let him fan the hammer next time Filoni

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Ravel posted:

Did Ben Solo have to forego seeing his parents when he was in Luke's school? I don't remember how they talked about their son.
We literally don't know. Important contextual details like that were just conspicuously absent from the riveting tale of Ben's offscreen telepathic corruption; Rian Johnson basically said "Lots of speculation from everyone! ;)"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's High Noons

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it's just a cowboy trope. Blasting away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78ppTrMbeY

Great vid on things - Cobb isnt dead - they quietly ask for stims which are from the Fallen Order game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bane shot the sheriff
And he definitely shot the deputy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Cobb isn't dead because Cobb extremely obviously isn't dead, he got shot once in the shoulder, and all of the people who rushed to his aid were obviously calling for help implying that he's saveable

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ben was going to be evil the whole time and it had nothing to do with Luke. Prophecy in Star Wars is always correct.

Robot Style posted:

People in his replies are saying they should do Special Thanks like Marvel, but how would that even work for Star Wars? Is it just for characters? What about species? Would the West End Games team get special thanks for creating all the names and backstories for the aliens? Who would they thank for Cad Bane? Dave Filoni as the Clone Wars showrunner, or the three writers of his debut episode? What about the artists who designed the character, or Stuart Freeborn and his team for the original cantina aliens?

Oh that's easy.

Marvel mostly doesn't credit artists for stories, only writers. Artist creators will get the credit for characters, but when they adapt something like Fraction's Hawkeye? Aja didn't get poo poo.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Everyone hating on Luke, but he sees Grogus heart isnt really into the training, and though he took to be wanting to be a Jedi with great gusto when he met Obi-Wan, he is giving Grogu the choice to form attachments his father, or many other Jedi, never had.

Luke is actually showing empathy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Arc Hammer posted:

Going back and watching it again Cobb isn't dead. Bane wings Cobb in the shoulder right as he draws his blaster before he unloads on the deputy who is very very dead. Cobb is likely still permanently injured but not a fatal shot.

I like how everyone ran past the deputy to help Cobb because they saw the script and knew the deputy was beyond saving.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lmao

Should’ve powered up the Darksaber in that last panel.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vintersorg posted:

They got the same voice actor too!! So good!!

For Cad? Really? I was actually disappointed because I always thought his voice in Clone Wars was one of the best parts of this character, and here he sounded way less distorted and menacing so I figured they recast him in addition to changing whatever filter they used.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Everyone hating on Luke, but he sees Grogus heart isnt really into the training, and though he took to be wanting to be a Jedi with great gusto when he met Obi-Wan, he is giving Grogu the choice to form attachments his father, or many other Jedi, never had.

Luke: do you want the dirty smelly metal onesie or the cool super awesome laser sword?

Wow, so even handed.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Oh my god, I didn’t see it like this. Thank you. Luke is a beautiful man.

Oh my god :3:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Anita Dickinme posted:

and these shows will retcon the sequel trilogy. :dance:

Stop hoping for this.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hazo posted:

For Cad? Really? I was actually disappointed because I always thought his voice in Clone Wars was one of the best parts of this character, and here he sounded way less distorted and menacing so I figured they recast him in addition to changing whatever filter they used.

It did sound a little different than what we're used to but yep - Corey Burton. :)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anita Dickinme posted:

There’s plenty in the video games. Keep in mind that Han’s blaster is actually just a sniper rifle. The clone sidearm blasters like the ones Rex uses in the show can shoot really fast.

Ah ok, thanks. I was thinking more live action stuff but I didn't specify.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Arc Hammer posted:

It has six ...blasts?... ready to fire? How does that even work?

I mean other than "sci fi" reasons of course

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

LionArcher posted:

he created something from those books that was referenced somehow? I think? I don't know, I did not read them because the ten pages I read of the first one was in fact bad.

He created Cobb.

Star Wars is such a melange anyway, especially under Filoni - this episode had Cobb (novels), The Wookie Gladiator I'm not even gonna attempt to spell (Comics), Ahsoka (Clone Wars), Luke's new Academy (Sequels), Cad Bane (Clone Wars), Pykes (I want to say... Rebels?)

Marvel shows and movies normally just give a Created by credit in the small print for main characters, or an exec producer credit if they really use the plotline of a comic, but they never credit the artists while lifting iconography - Hawkeye, for example, credited Fraction (the writer of the arc it adapted) but not Aja (the artist who invented the costumes the show uses, the logo it uses, the tracksuit mafia, etc). Star Wars .. doesn't.

Chuck's time with Disney ended suddenly and badly, and they've used a character he created without telling him. they're well within their rights, he signed those contracts, etc. He *knows* that. Must be a kick in the balls, though. I know I'd have feels in his situation.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vintersorg posted:

It did sound a little different than what we're used to but yep - Corey Burton. :)

Yeah, it's way less techno-filtered, but it's otherwise the same voice he did.

I love that the physical actor made him move a bit slower (except when it comes to gunslinging) than we are used to seeing in Clone Wars because he's significantly older now. Just a grumpy old cowboy you don't want to gently caress with. Love it.

Upon rewatch, i noticed the sad little face Grogu makes when Luke offers to clear up his memories Little buddy did not want to do that. Way to go, Master Jedi. :smith:

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 3, 2022

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Yeah, it's way less techno-filtered, but it's otherwise the same voice he did.

I love that the physical actor made him move a bit slower than we are used to seeing in Clone Wars because he's significantly older now. Just a grumpy old cowboy you don't want to gently caress with. Love it.

Upon rewatch, i noticed the sad little face Grogu makes when Luke offers to clear up his memories Little buddy did not want to do that. Way to go, Master Jedi. :smith:

Grogu's going to remember that it was Anakin killing all his friends, and he's going to go after Luke for revenge :unsmigghh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Stop hoping for this.

Rebellions are built on hope :v:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Chuck's time with Disney ended suddenly and badly, and they've used a character he created without telling him. they're well within their rights, he signed those contracts, etc. He *knows* that. Must be a kick in the balls, though. I know I'd have feels in his situation.

I don't see why anyone even pays attention to anything Chuck has to say. There's not a single more obvious sex pest around.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CornHolio posted:

It has six ...blasts?... ready to fire? How does that even work?

I mean other than "sci fi" reasons of course

Same way Mando's single shot disruptor rifle works, I'm guessing.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Luke says that he's not so much teaching Grogu, as he is reminding him of things he already knew.

We assume that he's a baby, but he could have been a full-fledged Jedi Knight for all we know, who just broke on seeing his friends and students dying.

He clearly didn't want to remember his past, maybe he just mind-tricked himself for safety cowardice?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

how do they make fanart this good this fast

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Do some guns have physical things still with em and that's why they are limited? Or maybe the gun uses so much battery power and can only do 6 shots.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm glad that video cleared up how the Jedi in the flashback doing that stupid reverse-grip and getting smoked couldn't be Cin Drallig, because I kind of wondered that myself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

I'm glad that video cleared up how the Jedi in the flashback doing that stupid reverse-grip and getting smoked couldn't be Cin Drallig, because I kind of wondered that myself.

I thought so too, but in canon he's the guy in the security video of Anakin killing the Jedi.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ScreenCrush is EXTREMELY thorough. Well worth watching and he usually gets a video out same day by the evening. Love going through it and learning. Dude loves this poo poo.

He always throws in a "your mom" joke but it's random and it'll sound like a real piece of trivia before. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vintersorg posted:

Do some guns have physical things still with em and that's why they are limited? Or maybe the gun uses so much battery power and can only do 6 shots.

I figure maybe regular blasters have like a generic charge pack that allows a bunch of shots, but you can get super high powered blasters that take individual cartridges which each carry tremendous energy that's delivered in one shot. That explains how Din can vaporize Jawas with his one-shot rifle, and why Cobb went down despite just being winged (but it doesn't explain why Cad fuckin unloaded on the deputy).