Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I got a Cad Bane action figure in its package hanging on my studio wall. IIRC I did some design work on his accessories when I did some freelance work for Hasbro thru a fellow college friend of mine that worked there.

In this latest episode of The MandalorianThe Book of Boba Fett Max Lloyd-Jones is the body double for Luke Skywalker, right? I can't remember if they're doing the body double or straight de-ageing Mark Hamill like they did De Niro in The Irishman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I found this youtube channel called Mr Nightmare. Has heaps of creepy poo poo like ring camera and dash cam footage and some other stuff from other youtubers. Some stuff is obviously staged but some doesn't appear to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvHOCW6_n5o

This first one was pretty well done if it's a hoax.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I got a Cad Bane action figure in its package hanging on my studio wall. IIRC I did some design work on his accessories when I did some freelance work for Hasbro thru a fellow college friend of mine that worked there.

In this latest episode of The MandalorianThe Book of Boba Fett Max Lloyd-Jones is the body double for Luke Skywalker, right? I can't remember if they're doing the body double or straight de-ageing Mark Hamill like they did De Niro in The Irishman.

I think they tried both in the mando finale, or they started with a a deepfake of the actor then last minute did a de-aging of Hamill or maybe it’s the other way around. Either way it looked like poo poo there but whatever they did here was soooo much better. The AI voice still isn’t quite there though.
And did they seriously bring back Max Rebo from what looked like certain death just to kill him again? :argh:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I can't wait to see the look on the poor psychologist bastard's face when I explain in 10 or 15 years--whenever it is that the PTSD really hits--that my triggers were 100% unrelated to the brutality of the work and centered solely around the helpless feeling of being hung out to dry, short staffed, and not in any way in control of my own loving life at work.

15 charts in 14hrs, held over because we had no trucks available, screamed at multiple times by different patient for no apparent reason.

Stop thanking me for my service and start making material improvements in my work conditions.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pops Mgee posted:

I think they tried both in the mando finale, or they started with a a deepfake of the actor then last minute did a de-aging of Hamill or maybe it’s the other way around. Either way it looked like poo poo there but whatever they did here was soooo much better. The AI voice still isn’t quite there though.
And did they seriously bring back Max Rebo from what looked like certain death just to kill him again? :argh:

I think what you end up seeing is the body double with face replacement (for S2 finale I think they animated it rather than actually using deep fake, and ended up with something that looked worse for the extra effort). I think they shot the scene with Hamill basically to be nice, though it could have had some value as a reference. I don’t think any element of that take made it on screen.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
The gently caress is this episode of Boba Fett?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

My drunk rear end just made some scallop potato cups, think next time less butter more cheese,

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 3, 2022

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The Boba Fett/Mando thing would probably work better if they had a season of each show running concurrently instead of whatever this is.

I also rolled my eyes at the end of season 2 of Mando for the gratuitous insertion of popular character everyone likes, so seeing it like 6 times here is even worse.

I am 100% down for more Raylan Givens, Space Marshal though and will be sad if he’s dead.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LeeMajors posted:

Stop thanking me for my service and start making material improvements in my work conditions.

Get out of America with that commie talk

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m sorry everything is poo poo Lee, I am grateful that you support our community.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

congrats to the latest TFF chat thread on reaching page 100!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that one fired off quite a bit early, haha. Sorry about that one. this one's on my rear end and i'm really showing my rear end with that one. congrats

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

I can't wait to see the look on the poor psychologist bastard's face when I explain in 10 or 15 years--whenever it is that the PTSD really hits--that my triggers were 100% unrelated to the brutality of the work and centered solely around the helpless feeling of being hung out to dry, short staffed, and not in any way in control of my own loving life at work.

15 charts in 14hrs, held over because we had no trucks available, screamed at multiple times by different patient for no apparent reason.

gently caress sorry dude. I don’t know how you’ve managed to stick it out this long.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

mixed curling for the day is about to start

God damnit I keep missing curling!!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Its Rinaldo posted:

The gently caress is this episode of Boba Fett?

They literally ripped off Lone Wolf & Cub… again.

At least I'm fairly sure Luke won't kill Grogu if he chooses the beskar chain mail shirt…

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Boba Fett How the gently caress have the Jedi not figured out the whole "have no attachments" thing isn't working for them. Let the little green dude have the loving shirt and stop being such a dick, Luke

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

No Butt Stuff posted:

Boba Fett How the gently caress have the Jedi not figured out the whole "have no attachments" thing isn't working for them. Let the little green dude have the loving shirt and stop being such a dick, Luke

Also, Ashoka isn't a jedi anymore, she left the order. why not just say so explicitly, thats a much better reason for not training Grogu

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Lol. Hitpiece is predictably now down.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Neil Armbong posted:

Lol. Hitpiece is predictably now down.

https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1488925534977335298

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I love that their plan was as fleshed out as every kickstarter for a licensed property based MMO

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Facebook dying in the stock market wow

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Turns out the metaverse is as stupid an idea now as it was when second life did it in 07-08. And iOS making it so users have to opt in to cross platform/app activity tracking has really hurt theirs and others ad business.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

From reading some articles this morning, it's apparently that and apple's app restrictions causing them to lose billions in ad revenue.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kalli posted:

From reading some articles this morning, it's apparently that and apple's app restrictions causing them to lose billions in ad revenue.

Yay, good

gently caress them

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yes, gently caress em

T-Square posted:

God damnit I keep missing curling!!

for 5 bucks everything is live/archived on peacock

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

that one fired off quite a bit early, haha. Sorry about that one. this one's on my rear end and i'm really showing my rear end with that one. congrats

Premature ejaculation is no joke

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Glumslinger posted:

Yay, good

gently caress them

I am doing a bit of a think about if I want to cheer Apple on if this is the reason. Not too much of a thought because well they're better than facebook, but that is saying very little.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Amy Pole Her posted:

Thank you president brandon

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t understand the situation.

If apples iOS App Store had the capacity to turn off cross app/os user data tracking… and doing so hurts Facebook (and other entities that use the data to sell ads)… why didn’t apple do this way earlier?

Damaging the other members of FAANG seems great for apple so why delay the strategy until now?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Guze posted:

Thank you president brandon

And his best buddy Mitch!

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1489244091707703306

Ornery and Hornery posted:

If apples iOS App Store had the capacity to turn off cross app/os user data tracking… and doing so hurts Facebook (and other entities that use the data to sell ads)… why didn’t apple do this way earlier?

Damaging the other members of FAANG seems great for apple so why delay the strategy until now?

Line on a graph probably crossed a threshhold finally. That line was probably 'holy poo poo, everyone under 60 loving hates facebook now'.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Related to tracking, the dumb cookie popups and real-time ad bidding was just ruled non-compliant with the GDPR so Europe is looking at a future without garbage ad networks. What a world (again!)

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

GDPR played a large part, as did general sentiments about privacy coming around to being v leary of it all.

What ad platforms can't get is your device id. They'd be able to see all the apps that have registered your device id with whatever ad/remarketing platform and tie activity together based on that. They now have to do probabilistic matching (lol) and at best can give you general ad performance/customer conversion, not specific user cohort performance which was facebook ad's bread & butter.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Related:

https://twitter.com/dougjballoon/status/1489276026647724037?s=21

Bird in a Blender posted:

gently caress sorry dude. I don’t know how you’ve managed to stick it out this long.

I’m sorry everything is poo poo Lee, I am grateful that you support our community.

I was being a negative Nelly after a poo poo day of work. I’ll be fine I think. Just spread a little thin. Thanks for the well wishing though!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Kalli posted:

I hope they would perish but people are just going to buy the stock at a discount now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

I hope they would perish but people are just going to buy the stock at a discount now.

It's definitely this. FB posted a big quarterly earnings miss and tanked after-hours. At its current price the p/e is very attractive right now, Meta is probably going to trend upward in the next few market trading days.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

So I’m squarely in the appleverse and I was just quoted 800$ (:laffo:) to replace my very old mac battery. I considered an iFixIt battery kit but last time I did that, something else failed shortly after and :eng99: I just moved on.

I’ll probably end up biting the bullet and buying another MacBook because they’re loving awesome, last forever, and have incredible battery life and software stability.

I’m also tempted to buy something much cheaper and run a really lean Linux build because I really only browse and do some mild paperwork adjacent work stuff. Gaming is all on console.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I should note that I am most concerned about moving away from the touchpad, which is absolutely the best I’ve ever encountered.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

So I’m squarely in the appleverse and I was just quoted 800$ (:laffo:) to replace my very old mac battery. I considered an iFixIt battery kit but last time I did that, something else failed shortly after and :eng99: I just moved on.

I’ll probably end up biting the bullet and buying another MacBook because they’re loving awesome, last forever, and have incredible battery life and software stability.

I’m also tempted to buy something much cheaper and run a really lean Linux build because I really only browse and do some mild paperwork adjacent work stuff. Gaming is all on console.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

I should note that I am most concerned about moving away from the touchpad, which is absolutely the best I’ve ever encountered.

Just get another Mac. I tried doing the dance with a Surface Pro 4 and a HP Chromebook, but in the end, had to come back to a new MacBook Air.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Silly Burrito posted:

Just get another Mac. I tried doing the dance with a Surface Pro 4 and a HP Chromebook, but in the end, had to come back to a new MacBook Air.

Yeah that’s my gut impulse. They’re so loving good. I had a little asus mininotebook I used to carry around for years but by the end it was unusable. And that was after like 5 years. Also I’m too old and have too little time to just be loving with things a big reason I moved away from non apple products years ago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah that’s my gut impulse. They’re so loving good. I had a little asus mininotebook I used to carry around for years but by the end it was unusable. And that was after like 5 years. Also I’m too old and have too little time to just be loving with things a big reason I moved away from non apple products years ago.

It might've been you or someone else in this thread, but they mentioned that they used to tinker with Android and do all kinds of crap with it, but in the end they went to an iPhone because it just worked. I had Android for years and years because I could tinker with it, but I realized last year that I didn't really do any customizations to it because nothing really needed to be done to fit my needs. So I swapped back to an iPhone and use iMessage with my Mac and it just works. Yeah I miss out on a couple of things that I could sideload before but I honestly don't care now.

So yeah, if you're used to a Mac, you can try and get something else. In the end, you'll miss it more than you thought you would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Still got my MacBook from 2012 and it’s still going strong.