Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fez_machine posted:

There's a few 90s massive Horsemen tags that have names like Larry Zbyszko, Sid or Nikita Koloff attached.

There's a 96 Michinoku Pro tag with some all time greats against the Kai En Tai stable made famous in WWE for " "I choppy choppy your pee pee!"" which means Shoichi Funaki, Men's Teioh, and NJPW's very own Dick Togo all have a five star match

T-bar has one for a BOLA performance against Keith Lee

Yeah but Kaientai DX ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lid posted:

Who is the wrestler of the 21st century - Hiroshi Tanahashi or Bryan Danielson

We're only 21 and a bit years in, calm your tits

...probably Danielson tho lmao

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah but Kaientai DX ruled.

True but I was trying to consider the question "most surprising" from an only watches WWE fans perspective because none of the 5 star matches are all that surprising unless you've only seen WWE treat a great wrestler like a complete joke and a jobber.

Lid posted:

Only one of these people is a once in a century talent

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno...maybe the two can have a match to determine it!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I dunno...maybe the two can have a match to determine it!

It's nice that this is not only possible but kinda likely now

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Lid posted:

Weird way to spell Hook, or Wardlow.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

fez_machine posted:

True but I was trying to consider the question "most surprising" from an only watches WWE fans perspective because none of the 5 star matches are all that surprising unless you've only seen WWE treat a great wrestler like a complete joke and a jobber.

Having a 5 star match that included Horace Hogan was pretty surprising to me. My only knowledge of that dude was him being a generic NWO mook.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Lid posted:

Tana, no doubt. Danielson is in the next tier down with people like KENTA for me

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

fez_machine posted:

T-bar has one for a BOLA performance against Keith Lee

Donovan Dijak was really good before that gimmick killed his career

....come to think of it, how many people remember that T-BAR is Donovan Dijak?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean it's kinda hard to remember anything but

T
BAR

SLAP
JACK

etc.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Who is the most surprising person to have a five star match, and who is the most surprising person to not have one?

lars sullivan has one

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
wrong thread

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Meiko Satomura doesn't have any *****s according to Dave but that's not a huge shock because Dave hasn't watched much joshi outwith Stardom since the 90s

Most surprising is definitely Horace Hogan. I don't think you can beat that.

I mean he absolutely did, but Dave wasn't watching ROH regularly back then. And when he did, he would watch it through this weird lens of "sure it's good but this would never get over in front of a WWE crowd". The Hero PWG match, Morishima, KENTA, McGuinness all in ROH, I think he had plenty ***** matches.

I definitely don't think he was using that lens because Joe vs Punk II would have never gotten over in front of a WWE crowd and the Dragon Gate Six Man was partially because it was so ahead of what mainstream American wrestling was doing.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Defenestrategy posted:

Having a 5 star match that included Horace Hogan was pretty surprising to me. My only knowledge of that dude was him being a generic NWO mook.
I had to look this up because the match doesn't show up on a lot of the published lists of ***** matches, the text from the Observer newsletter at the time seems to indicate Dave didn't attend/see the match himself:

quote:

While that may have been the U.S. match of the year for 1992, it seems everyone who attended the 5/16 FMW/WWA show at Cal State-Los Angeles Gym is raving about it as the U.S. card of the year. It was compared favorably by many long-time fans as the best show for both atmosphere and workrate in many years in the Southwest, which includes two Wrestlemanias and the excellent WCW Wrestle War '91 pay-per-view show in Phoenix...
... Santo got a reception described to me as the equal of Hulk Hogan's at the two live Wrestlemanias in Los Angeles. ...
The main event on the show had Onita & Taman Goto from FMW teaming with Santo against FMW regular Horace Boulder (Mike Boller, the real-life nephew of Hogan) & local wrestler Tim Patterson & Casas in a two-of-three fall match going near minutes in a match nearly 30 minutes rated almost consensus *****
This got me wondering if there are other "reportedly ***** matches" in the archives that aren't on widely distributed lists, but the search function on the site has somehow gotten even worse since the redesign.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Tana pulled a Bret Hart and carried a company through a dark age, setting it up for success, and then passed the torch perfectly to the guy who would take the company to a glory period.

Bryan also had a lot of really good matches. Like, a lot. And he built ROH, for the most part.

It’s tough. I suppose it would be “Best American” and “Best International” and they’re effectively tied.

Buuuut Tana got loving stabbed by an ex girlfriend and then became a GOAT so I think the edge goes to him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
That NXT ladder match is absolutely cursed in hindsight

--Adam Cole
--EC3
--Killian Dain
--Lars Sullivan
--Ricochet
--Velveteen Dream

Nearly three years later and only one guy from this match is still in the company. There are multiple guys who will probably never wrestle again.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sid Vicious having a 5 star match always cracks me up.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

algebra testes posted:

Sid Vicious having a 5 star match always cracks me up.

I know what you mean, him just having one seems very unfair.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is a bit hard to data juggle but I've always wondered which wrestlers got 5 stars really early in their careers and really late in their careers. there's gotta be at least one prodigy who got a 5 star in their first year, and with how long some wrestling careers are I could see someone getting a 5 star 15+ years in as well

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

flatluigi posted:

this is a bit hard to data juggle but I've always wondered which wrestlers got 5 stars really early in their careers and really late in their careers. there's gotta be at least one prodigy who got a 5 star in their first year, and with how long some wrestling careers are I could see someone getting a 5 star 15+ years in as well

Dustin?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

KENTA Kobashi debuted in 1988, had a 5* six man tag in 1990, and had his 5* match with Samoa Joe in 2005

e: and a bit further from debut, but Misawa had his first 5* singles match in 1985 and his last in 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Who is the most surprising person to have a five star match, and who is the most surprising person to not have one?

A bit late to this but John Laurinaitis has two 5* matches to his name, which is certainly surprising to people that only saw his E run

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 3, 2022

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
What if you limited it to "Most Surprising to get 5* in a Singles Match?"

Michael Elgin? Scott Hall?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i thought jericho might qualify for this but he didn't have one until the omega match at wk12

Price Check posted:

elgin is a guy who wrestles a style dave likes and had a couple periods where he was very over with the sorta fans who care about observer star ratings. not that surprising he had a five star in that place and time as that also coincided right when dave was first starting to give them out again tho before inflation really took hold.

dijak and sammy guevara stand out to me as guys i've seen plenty of who no one usually considers to be an elite in ring worker who have them, tho both came firmly in the modern era where dave's considerably freer with them. i'd put scurll in that category as well but that came in a match against a guy dave loves and who he has good chemistry with.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Sherri originally supposed to be a witch? I just saw a clip from Summerslam '89 with Gene interviewing her, Savage, and Zeus around a loving cauldron talking about how they can see the future.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Price Check posted:

Whys Scott Hall surprising? Before he switched to wcw he had some pretty fine matches. Give him someone the caliber of Michaels and not surprising to get a 5*.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sherri was an evil queen around the time of the Savage/Zeus stuff, which I guess translates to having a big evil witch's cauldron too

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Price Check posted:

Elgin legit had incredible chemistry with Naito, and if he weren't a colossal shithead, he would likely still be a hot wrestler to this day

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I think they were throwing spaghetti at the wall around that time. Summer '89 would've been immediately before Randy became Macho King, so maybe they were setting it up early by giving him an evil Merlin and Lancelot.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If you only ever watched the Bushwackers and not the Sheep Herders than seeing that they got a 5 star match would probably count

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Venomous posted:

Elgin legit had incredible chemistry with Naito, and if he weren't a colossal shithead, he would likely still be a hot wrestler to this day

yeah there was a minute there where elgin was real hot poo poo and it sucks that he's such a fuckhead

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Price Check posted:

Tomoaki Honma?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Price Check posted:

Not limited to singles: Sho Funaki

Singles: T-BAR (all right, Donovan Dijak)

Honourable mention: I'm not too surprised that Barry Windham was in a five star match. I'm a LITTLE bit surprised he was in five of them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Luchasaurus will probably be an answer to this when it isn't so recent. Looking at a list of five star matches I had no idea David Starr had one so lol I guess him?

For the most surprising not to have one, maybe Benoit or KENTA?

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 4, 2022

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If you only ever watched the Bushwackers and not the Sheep Herders than seeing that they got a 5 star match would probably count

Yeah, from a WWE/F only fan perspective, the Bushwhackers are a lot more surprising than Kaientai. Even though they were both comedy jobbers, Kaientai, especially Taka, did some cool poo poo that if you told someone that they had awesome matches in Japan it would be believable. By the time they got to the WWF, the Bushwhackers were already old and couldn’t/weren’t booked to show any of the style that got them famous.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, from a WWE/F only fan perspective, the Bushwhackers are a lot more surprising than Kaientai. Even though they were both comedy jobbers, Kaientai, especially Taka, did some cool poo poo that if you told someone that they had awesome matches in Japan it would be believable. By the time they got to the WWF, the Bushwhackers were already old and couldn’t/weren’t booked to show any of the style that got them famous.

Also Taka didnt start out as a Comedy Jobber either, the WWF attempted to build an entire division around him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Luchasaurus will probably be an answer to this when it isn't so recent. Looking at a list of five star matches I had no idea David Starr had one so lol I guess him?

That Starr Devlin match was before Starr was outed as a monster and it really was amazing. The build up was summarised in a brilliantly produced pre-match video, the crowd was insanely hot for "guy who sold out for NXTUK vs guy who will never sell out" which was a real simple bit satisfying storyline, and that match itself was phenomenal. I didn't do star ratings then but I almost certainly would've gone ***** on it myself.

And then within 6 months Starr is outed as an absolute piece of poo poo and I have a vague sense there were allegations around Devlin but could be misremembering & it seems unlikely I'd ever actually be able to rewatch it knowing what we know now.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Benoit had one against Sasuke in the Super-J Cup final tho?

KENTA is surprising tho, but there's still time I guess

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Starr/Devlin might be the greatest match I never want to watch again

What other matches are like that to you people? (non-Benoit answers please)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

That Starr Devlin match was before Starr was outed as a monster and it really was amazing. The build up was summarised in a brilliantly produced pre-match video, the crowd was insanely hot for "guy who sold out for NXTUK vs guy who will never sell out" which was a real simple bit satisfying storyline, and that match itself was phenomenal. I didn't do star ratings then but I almost certainly would've gone ***** on it myself.

And then within 6 months Starr is outed as an absolute piece of poo poo and I have a vague sense there were allegations around Devlin but could be misremembering & it seems unlikely I'd ever actually be able to rewatch it knowing what we know now.

Yeah, there were allegations of domestic abuse on Devlin's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Benne posted:

Tomoaki Honma?

yeah, there was a point in the past decade that Honma was one of the greatest jobbers in the world. Dude had some great chemistry with Ishii. Anyway, Honma's a broken down wifebeater, so he can go gently caress himself

e:

Benne posted:

Starr/Devlin might be the greatest match I never want to watch again

What other matches are like that to you people? (non-Benoit answers please)

coincidentally, Honma/Ishii from 14/02/15 is that to me, and not for Ishii obviously