Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

He should have put this first in the video, I don't know why he didn't. And that other tree is miserable to me but that's because I don't like the content he's choosing to put in.

He should have not put his 'sc trade beginners' tree in there in any capacity. It's going to bait a bunch of people, which is going to be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, unless they stealth nerfed delve cities a bunch in 3.17, the best map sustain is more delve :v:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheRat posted:

There is no atlas bonus anymore. It all comes from your tree. That tree is like trying to progress maps with zero bonus while taking a bunch of dangerous poo poo that makes maps harder. It's almost like it's perfectly designed to make a beginner have a miserable time and quit.

well idk I always got at least a replacement map- the big problem was it often felt like I got the same tier map as I was currently running, but the wrong region, or a tier down, or 5 t1s etc. now maybe I'm being too hopeful but I'm thinking maybe removing regions and watchstones means it's just straight up you run an end boss and all your maps can only drop as t5 or whatever. that would mean map drop rates are still important for more passive points but not directly tied to progressing anything besides your xp bar.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheRat posted:

There is no atlas bonus anymore. It all comes from your tree. That tree is like trying to progress maps with zero bonus while taking a bunch of dangerous poo poo that makes maps harder. It's almost like it's perfectly designed to make a beginner have a miserable time and quit.

Ziz is also pushing EA ballistas

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the moral of the story is maybe wait till the end of the first week to let someone else pick your atlas passives for you. ziggyd or whoever the gently caress isn't gonna have to run your maps if they're wrong lol. it's not the same as a character tree

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

u love to see it, folks!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

TheRat posted:

Do something like this and then do whatever you want after:

Ah, yeah, ol' hands on hips stickman, the classic tree.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

euphronius posted:

Ziz is also pushing EA ballistas

I suppose he could push Ghazzys minion builds if he wanted a change, Ziz is entertaining. :shrug:

Speaking as an armchair general & keyboard warrior i think PConc and most minion builds will be the big winners in this league (of course i'm not playing in the league). :agesilaus:

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Toyed around a bit, this looks like i could like it, no real idea though
Map sustain and Strongboxes, rogue exiles, beyond and essence with a side of exarch

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im gonna bumrush kirac and boss nodes and I'm going to hate myself when it turns out both new bosses do Sirus's poison clear bullshit or some other thing that ends up no selling my build lol

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Plan to poisonous concoction pathfinder. I didn't give it a go last league, and the rest of the popular starters this league seem to involve playstyles I don't enjoy. Spectral helix is numerically strong, but I've used it enough to be familiar with its janky feel. EA ballistas looks like it will put out amazing damage, but it is delay upon delay upon delay. Skele mages looks like the least cancerous playstyle (aside from the screen cancer), but it is essentially just minion totems.

I did some poisonous concoction testing, and found that as soon as I hit 12 and got a three link I could blink and find myself at maps. The playstyle was pretty smooth too. It might not be scalable to the moon like some other options, but it looks like it will be scalable enough while not requiring any specific uniques.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just got elemental helix to maps, I know the skill is good but I am in no way even close to knowledgeable about keeping a trinity build at par. I compared it to the run of poison helix I did, and even though I bought a wasp nest and ungil's the damage difference is just huge even if I knock it down to a 4l. I just know I'll hit a road block at one point with the ranger version that I don't know how to fix.

Also plan to do something like this for science. I want to see if I can brick my atlas.

You can ready the tomatoes.

The elemental helix build also uses far shot and it is just a hassle, maybe when your damage is just blasting its fine but drat... positioning..

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 3, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What about far shot and point blank together ?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

euphronius posted:

What about far shot and point blank together ?

I don't remember the maths, but that was a good combo back in they day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a chart on the Poe wiki

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Far Shot is much better than you'd think for Helix because it uses projectile travel distance, not the distance from you to the monster. This means it reaches max distance very quickly and even things relatively close to you are still getting a large bonus.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Going to go elementalist lightning tendies with orb, if it doesnt work then I'll switch over to arc for league starting before I try something else.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Tenzarin posted:

Just got elemental helix to maps, I know the skill is good but I am in no way even close to knowledgeable about keeping a trinity build at par. I compared it to the run of poison helix I did, and even though I bought a wasp nest and ungil's the damage difference is just huge even if I knock it down to a 4l. I just know I'll hit a road block at one point with the ranger version that I don't know how to fix.
The elemental helix build also uses far shot and it is just a hassle, maybe when your damage is just blasting its fine but drat... positioning..

I havent played since like 6 leagues and i am wondering

On paper elemental helix looks nice, since it has a lot of dmg effectiveness to get more and more dmg with gear upgrades. With PConc (and other poison builds) scaling the dmg at like early mid map lvl looks very difficult for me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

pconc PF is also a really dope heister and delver, if you go that route. nice and speedy.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I mucked around on a standard character again last night and I'm so excited about my dumb poison blade flurry / venom gyre trickster.

Re: spectral helix- it's super good! Spectral throw needs a drat buff. Damage effectiveness? Added flat damage? Literally anything please.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Pconc doesn't scale to the moon, but it scales enough. This video was pretty convincing, showing some guardian maps with very mediocre gear. If you look at his PoB, he isn't wearing mirror tier stuff there. It is all 'first week of the league' type gear, and he is doing fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqyjXD2CDxY

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AutismVaccine posted:

I havent played since like 6 leagues and i am wondering

On paper elemental helix looks nice, since it has a lot of dmg effectiveness to get more and more dmg with gear upgrades. With PConc (and other poison builds) scaling the dmg at like early mid map lvl looks very difficult for me.

Helix will scale better but pconc scales fine till end game bosses. It wont melt the bosses instantly but it has an unbeatable smooth experience from start till late red maps.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I got to t16 maps in the delirium challenge league with pconc pf, it scales just fine. Though as mentioned, it does hit a ceiling at some point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Speaking of pconc, here's a youtube about swapping from pconc to poison helix pathfinder if anyone is interested. TLDR: its basically just play pconc pathfinder until you get a wasp nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74__0AiJFw

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

I got to t16 maps in the delirium challenge league with pconc pf, it scales just fine. Though as mentioned, it does hit a ceiling at some point.

iirc you can still get is 2-5m dps at like 20ex investment depending on the market so it's not like you can't easily clear all content on a budget anyway

e: i played the occultist variant and also ran enfeeble and tempchains, so it was also one of the tankier builds i've ran so far, despite only getting to like 6k life+es or somesuch

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 3, 2022

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm going for a Witch Necromancer/fire build. Been practicing it in standard and its fun.

Raise zombies to start, then link the summon phantoms support gem to my fireball.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

gently caress you guys are talking me into PC. Not having to worry about a bow is enticing.

J
Jun 10, 2001

TheRat posted:

I feel like I need to put out a warning here. Zizaran - pretty much the most popular content creator for beginners for PoE is advertising the following tree as good for softcore trade beginners:

Do not under any circumstances do this, you will gently caress yourself.

I'm surprised he recommended this for beginners. In addition to the lack of map sustain nodes, he takes unrelenting torment which is going to brick the map for a lot of builds early on. It's worded the same as the harvest enchant, which is a bunch of ghosts around the boss. I think the safest beginner tree sticks to the center of the tree with the map sustain nodes and other things that add guaranteed value to every map. Essences, strongboxes, shrines, harbingers, etc. I do like the thought of that combo of torment nodes he has which I hadn't given any consideration, but more for a developed build where a multi ghosted boss isn't a brick.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm going for a Witch Necromancer/fire build. Been practicing it in standard and its fun.

Raise zombies to start, then link the summon phantoms support gem to my fireball.

Not to rain on your parade, but this sounds like you're going to be half-assing two things, which will lead to bad times in this game. If you want Phantasms, you're going to need your Fireball to kill things, which means putting points into spell damage and fire damage and such, which means you're not putting points into your minions. But then if you do put points into your minions, your Zombies are the ones killing things, which means you're not getting Phantasms because your Fireball isn't doing the killing. It's going to be especially rough on bosses with limited/no adds because Phantasm only has a 10% chance to proc on rare/unique monster hit and Fireball is not exactly a fast-hitting skill.

Pick one of fire or minions. Minions is probably the easiest for a new person. People here have vouched Von Vikton's minion builds.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

I'm not sure switching from PConc to poison Helix Pathfinder is the play. The synergy between Perfect Agony, Nightblade and Ungils just isn't there as much without the assassin nodes.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

If you want to blast nerds to summon minions that blast nerds harder, Absolution might be your thing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

I'm surprised he recommended this for beginners. In addition to the lack of map sustain nodes, he takes unrelenting torment which is going to brick the map for a lot of builds early on. It's worded the same as the harvest enchant, which is a bunch of ghosts around the boss. I think the safest beginner tree sticks to the center of the tree with the map sustain nodes and other things that add guaranteed value to every map. Essences, strongboxes, shrines, harbingers, etc. I do like the thought of that combo of torment nodes he has which I hadn't given any consideration, but more for a developed build where a multi ghosted boss isn't a brick.

Rogue metamorphs aren't a joke either for beginners with weak characters. I'm all for experienced players loving around, they usually know what they're doing and have builds that can handle it, but leading beginners down this road is just bad form imo. It's going to make them miserable, feel like they hit a brick wall and maybe even quit.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Thanks for the infos mates.

What is the strongest endgame version of this? I looked through like 20 builds on poeninja and the major archetypes i spotted are

Divine Flesh+ Chaos res stacking
Going Frenzycharges/FarrelFur plus the selfpoisening suite
Going 2 big jewel clusters, MANY chaos dmg nodes plus Added chaos Dmg in the 6link

Also what is the verdict on Versatile Combatant? Is it worth the investment? Imo it looks pretty nice combined with high armour

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

to go back to skelly mages, One things not pointed out I guess is that minion cluster jewels are often $$$$$$$.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

whypick1 posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but this sounds like you're going to be half-assing two things, which will lead to bad times in this game. If you want Phantasms, you're going to need your Fireball to kill things, which means putting points into spell damage and fire damage and such, which means you're not putting points into your minions. But then if you do put points into your minions, your Zombies are the ones killing things, which means you're not getting Phantasms because your Fireball isn't doing the killing. It's going to be especially rough on bosses with limited/no adds because Phantasm only has a 10% chance to proc on rare/unique monster hit and Fireball is not exactly a fast-hitting skill.

Pick one of fire or minions. Minions is probably the easiest for a new person. People here have vouched Von Vikton's minion builds.

Ok. I definitely wanted to lean Minions over fire damage anyway. I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

I just started a witch in standard to get a handle of the class before leauge starts and saw a combo I thought was cool.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Well that loving sucks then. Why wouldn't they say "All Your Damage"?

Meanwhile in the land of other non-functional Uniques, Gravebind is bugged as gently caress when two people are using it. I tried it with Occultist (for explosions and Spiders) and had it on her AG as well (for Chains of Command) and it will credit more or less every kill to the Occultist, unless I unequip and reequip it, and then I get no credit and the AG gets all the credit and makes Animate Weapons. I can't find an answer on how it's intended to function when multiple people have it, if they all are supposed to get credit for a kill, or dished out randomly, or they cancel each other out, but the more I test the most confusing it gets.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. I definitely wanted to lean Minions over fire damage anyway. I just figured for a minion build, I still need one offensive spell/skill.

I just started a witch in standard to get a handle of the class to start and saw a combo I thought was cool.

You don't need a offensive spell/skill, it's entirely feasible to spend all of your time buffing your minions and dodging while they eat things for you.

I will say that if you're starting out with minions, slot Purifying Flame somewhere. No need to link it to anything. It adds a little damage but creates consecrated ground which is going to give you and your minions a decent chunk of life regeneration. One of the biggest problems starting out with minions is that you can't keep them alive until you start getting them tankier and able to heal on their own.

Once your minions are tanky enough to survive without being babysat, you can drop it.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tenzarin posted:

Speaking of pconc, here's a youtube about swapping from pconc to poison helix pathfinder if anyone is interested. TLDR: its basically just play pconc pathfinder until you get a wasp nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l74__0AiJFw

Thanks for posting this. I was.leaning towards pconc but with a build I can pivot to once it hits a wall, I feel much better for that.

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

aanyone have a POB for the pathfind Pconc that is abusing flagellant flask setups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

More pcoc then you will need

https://youtu.be/tQVqgRmFiuY