Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

In non intracast drama news.... new episodes tonight, right??

Is it Friday yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

There was also the time Orion tried to leverage his background into being grand high poobah of like an entire fleet that he thought his dad would send, thus negating the big battle everybody'd spent a long time prepping themselves for. Laura absolutely dogged him for it, too. Just the most petty spotlight stealing stuff. It was then I realized Matt was very good at keeping his irritation in check, possibly hinting at retail experience.
:lmao:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Is it Friday yet...

Well played :golfclap: I'm hoping that it drops at midnight GMT like the first week did..maybe? Something to get me through this hell day and knee deep into the briarwood arc??

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Well played :golfclap: I'm hoping that it drops at midnight GMT like the first week did..maybe? Something to get me through this hell day and knee deep into the briarwood arc??

it likely will, they seem to do it as the norm on prime. i just couldn't resist after making an eejit of myself last week.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I would have been forgiving of Orion with the stress in his life given his health but the guy turned out to be an rear end in a top hat to fans and tried to make his own show with Tiberius as a reaction to being asked to leave the group.

I’m not going to dig up this coffin again. People linked the Reddit post that summarizes it all. Everyone knows the 8th Vox Machina member is Trinket and the 8th Critical Role member is Robbie Daymond who sadly won’t be until Campaign 3.

DesertIslandHermit fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 3, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A clip from tonight's episode. That's a steep tonal shift and I am so excited
https://mobile.twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1489285464259325953

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
So how did Vex know that Vax said "chenga"? Do they have twin powers?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cheston posted:

So how did Vex know that Vax said "chenga"? Do they have twin powers?

In the show I guess they have twin powers but in the game they all had Earrings of Whisper. I wonder if they'll mention the earrings in the show, it may be too hard to work around in a show but does offer great quality of life in a tabletop game.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2022

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

In the show I guess they have twin powers but in the game they all had Earrings of Whisper. A totally overpowered magic item created by the cast member who shall not be mentioned anymore.

Nah, even in the game that was a thing they had, here’s a transcript of that scene from the campaign. This is after he’s jumped out the window and is falling unconscious

quote:

LIAM: Wait. As that happens, and as my
consciousness fades away, I don’t say anything,
but here’s what I think in a split-second. I think
of my friends that I have spent so much time with.
I think of Keyleth, beautiful, walking under the
trees. I think of my twin sister as a young girl,
folding up linens with our mother. I think of my
sister as an adolescent in lessons, smarter than
me. I think of the woman she grew into. Hiking
over many, many, many miles together. My best
friend. My best friend, Vex'ahlia. And before I
can think no more, I say a prayer to Sarenrae to
watch over my friends and keep them safe.
MATT: Go ahead and make a wisdom saving throw.
LIAM: Eight.
MATT: With that thought cast out, the darkness
swallows your vision and unconsciousness takes you
into the cold, wet grass on the floor of the
courtyard surrounding the palace. A small shiver
runs down your spine, Vex: a feeling you haven’t
felt before. A feeling of sudden and immediate
sourceless dread, and in that instant you know
that there is almost no time.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Exia posted:

Nah, even in the game that was a thing they had, here’s a transcript of that scene from the campaign. This is after he’s jumped out the window and is falling unconscious

Here's Liam as Vax saying Jenga as he motions to use his Earring as he jumps out the window:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrrB_q-V8G0&t=1716s

So they have twin powers in the game too to some extent as well

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 3, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

AngryBooch posted:

In the show I guess they have twin powers but in the game they all had Earrings of Whisper. I wonder if they'll mention the earrings in the show, it may be too hard to work around in a show but does offer great quality of life in a tabletop game.

They have been pulling at their ears several times during the show when talking to someone that might be far away. It was subtle, I was hoping they would bring it up.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

CuwiKhons posted:

If you would like to read a massive essay on the subject, someone on Reddit very helpfully compiled a summary of all the poo poo that went down with Orion Acaba, including things that happened after he left CR (spoiler alert, he was also abusive to his ex-girlfriends and stole money from people who made the mistake of supporting him).

All in all, the guy was (and probably still is) a mess and the show is better off pretending he never existed. If you want a sampler platter of his bullshit, I highly recommend the four "Trial of the Take" episodes (18-21) which feature several guest characters (two of whom are actually important) and set up a subplot that I don't think the cartoon is going to actually include but it'd be neat if they did. Orion is only in episodes 20 and 21 but while he's not at his absolute worst, he's also definitely not at his best. Orion was removed following episode 27 and I know a lot of people who recommend skipping that episode entirely because it's Orion's worst showing by far and it's wildly uncomfortable to watch.

I may actually check out that one episode because it sounds INCREDIBLY awkward. Don’t know if I’ll be able to make it through hours of watching other people playing a table top RPG, but figure it may be worth checking out.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Robobot posted:

I may actually check out that one episode because it sounds INCREDIBLY awkward. Don’t know if I’ll be able to make it through hours of watching other people playing a table top RPG, but figure it may be worth checking out.

The Wil Wheaton trial of the take episodes are fun to watch if only to see how impossibly bad his terrible dice luck is.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
It's really hard to overstate how nice and patient matt is and for him to get pissed at someone takes a lot of doing.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
When Matt realizes Orion had been loving with the ruled on what his ring of spell holding (or whatever it was called) to give himself 3 level 3 spells instead of up to 3 spell levels of spells is the closest I've seen him just lose it on a person.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Mage_Boy posted:

The Wil Wheaton trial of the take episodes are fun to watch if only to see how impossibly bad his terrible dice luck is.

Seriously, that dude curses any dice he touches and it's beyond hosed

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dameius posted:

When Matt realizes Orion had been loving with the ruled on what his ring of spell holding (or whatever it was called) to give himself 3 level 3 spells instead of up to 3 spell levels of spells is the closest I've seen him just lose it on a person.

That was during a battle royal, wasn't it? I remember Orion doing that thing where he was trying so hard to pretend he didn't understand what Matt meant, just putting his eyebrows 'in confusion' so high up they were almost on the back of his head.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dameius posted:

It's such a great 'straw that breaks the camel's back' moment from a guy who's so famously chill even when dealing with lovely situations. Like, on its own it sounds really minor but A) that's actually a pretty huge change in the nitty-gritty of the rules that's basically impossible to screw up by accident and turns a 'oh, neat, that'll be useful' item into 'lol this is broken as gently caress, and B) it's just such a great encapsulation of what a shithead he was where he couldn't even avoid the urge to cheat to make himself OP in a loving pretend elf game just to stay the 'main character' in power and all.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Dameius posted:

I would have absolutely given the benefit of the doubt to Orion for the ring thing but it was one of many things that Matt had noticed.

Robobot posted:

Episode 27 is pretty much 'skip if you want to avoid seeing the table actually getting upset'. I remember going in being warned it gets ugly and I still got hurt seeing Matt drop onto the table. He just about had enough. And Travis looked ready to rise up from his seat and get up to Orion. Good job on the group for trying to keep cool.

To happier news, my D&D group is doing the watch party. Starting Episode 3 and so far everyone is liking it. One of the players new to the show recognized Liam as Illidan Stormrage from WoW and got pretty excited.

Hopefully the Matt Mercer effect doesn't happen and everyone wants to be like the dumbasses that are Vox Machina. :shobon: But it might be fun to do if we run the upcoming Netherdeep campaign (which is set in Critical Role's world) next.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cool looks like they're out, wasn't sure if they got released at 0:00GMT like other prime shows

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Well poo poo, I got my D&D game starting now. I'll catch them after.

The Cleric of the party considered Scanlan her favorite. Yes, even after that song.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I would have absolutely given the benefit of the doubt to Orion for the ring thing but it was one of many things that Matt had noticed.

Like the others (and you) have said, this wasn't some isolated thing but rather the Nth "misunderstanding" of rules after so many cheated dice rolls that the people next to him at the table watched every single roll he did and signaled to Matt if he was telling the truth and would help him add anything up if he paused for even a second.

Anyways the biggest train wreck of them all is episode 27 so go watch it or don't.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah I've only ever seen Matt get that snippy once more and it's because the entire group is blind drunk and barely paying attention to the game.

Anyways Keyleth turned into an jackalope.

Edit: Jarett always the coolest person.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

they're really starting strong with just how scary undead are

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Yeah they are

I do really love them sprinkling Your Turn To Roll throughout.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
drat, I have a magnificent bitch face is a strong Taliesin line.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Ashley is way too drat good at playing heartbreaking. Love leaning more into her and Grog's dynamic

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

eke out posted:

they're really starting strong with just how scary undead are

Those shadow creatures were creepy as gently caress.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

e4 written by ashly burch, cool

will have to be on the lookout for writing credits

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Creepy poo poo incoming indeed

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

eke out posted:

e4 written by ashly burch, cool

Oh no! Percy! Someone save him

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh man, those horses had no chance as soon as Vox Machina took the reins.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the pace of these is so much better, they're a major improvement

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
loving Blindspot man

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Oh gods, that adorable little girl is gonna be substitute Pike hanging from the Sun Tree.

Voiced by one of Sam's kids too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
For those who didn't watch the stream: Vex is notoriously cheap

zippertwat

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The best kills scene was very good. It had Hotis and the duergar that Keyleth slowly murdered and the bulette Grog bit the tongue off of.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Holy poo poo they're going to actually do the sun tree

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sun tree, perfect

love the soundtrack over the end credits of e5 just the creaking of the nooses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016