Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Unfathomable is really fantastic. How many players did you have?

4. We made a couple rules mistake but had a great time. We won with only 2 to 4 left in all our ressources so it was extremely tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm on a boardgamearena kick. So far I've my favourites are Race for the Galaxy, Tash Khalar, Feast for Odin, 7 Wonders Duel and have tried Clans of Caledonia and Tapestry, but found them pretty dry, specially the latter. What are some other good implementations of medium-heavy games, preferably towards the lower player count?

Gaia Project is a given as soon as I re-read the rules.

Dungeon Petz and Blood Rage are on BGA and have about the wettest themes ever, but for different reasons.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dungeon Petz is really good and I love both the theme and the mechanisms of the game.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007
I try to play board games weekly with my family, but it's tough to find a game that everyone likes. My brother has incorrigible AP, so I don't want to bring anything that runs long even with non-AP players, and my mum doesn't like complex rules or turn structures. I prefer low-luck, high-interaction games with straightforward rules (which I get to play with my regular gaming group), but I'm realizing that my AP-prone brother doesn't really share my taste - I think he prefers games that lean a little more multiplayer solitaire so that he can devise and execute some kind of grand strategy with minimal interference. For instance, he looked up Terraforming Mars and thinks it would be fun (I think he likes engine building and finding satisfying combos), but I think his AP would drag it out into a frustratingly long experience. I haven't actually played TfM, so this is just based on what I've read in this thread and seen in videos on BGG.

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gort posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a shame that they went from

to

The extra picture isn't necessary, but the cards are pretty dull with basically no art.

I'm glad Expanse board game used TV stills. Board games (and card games in general) need to come back to using live action pics for cards.

edit: Except for Klemens Franz art. Those are classics and will look good 100 years from now in the collection of some wasteland gamers's closet.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 3, 2022

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

El Fideo posted:

Considering the Stonemaier edition of Libertalia is likely to be Stonemaier-level overpriced, I'd see about finding a copy of the previous version in the trades, or see what else in that design space appeals to you. I happen to quite like simultaneous selection as a mechanism, and there are a lot of games that have trod that ground. Mission: Red Planet, El Grande, Citadels, Beasty Bar, Nidavellir, Raptor, Campy Creatures...these and many more have played around with that sort of sequence of play that might be more up your alley.

Bottom line, the world of board game design is both iterative and incestuous, so if you can't get ahold of one game, there's probably another one out there that will scratch that itch. Personally I need a few more plays, but I think Nidavellir might have replaced Libertalia for my group.

This is a cool post for the number of options it gives. Specifically, I saw someone on reddit mention Campy Creatures.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Speaking of Unfathomable, does it do a better job than Battlestar Galactica of supporting player counts other than five?

Out of the box, BSG isn't very good unless you have exactly five players. I've tried some online/house rules for re-balancing the game to better support other player counts, and nothing has felt quite right.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

mellifluous posted:

I try to play board games weekly with my family, but it's tough to find a game that everyone likes. My brother has incorrigible AP, so I don't want to bring anything that runs long even with non-AP players, and my mum doesn't like complex rules or turn structures. I prefer low-luck, high-interaction games with straightforward rules (which I get to play with my regular gaming group), but I'm realizing that my AP-prone brother doesn't really share my taste - I think he prefers games that lean a little more multiplayer solitaire so that he can devise and execute some kind of grand strategy with minimal interference. For instance, he looked up Terraforming Mars and thinks it would be fun (I think he likes engine building and finding satisfying combos), but I think his AP would drag it out into a frustratingly long experience. I haven't actually played TfM, so this is just based on what I've read in this thread and seen in videos on BGG.

So, any recommendations for a moderately complex low-interaction game that can be played in about 2 hours or less (including the teach) with 4 players, one of whom has pretty bad AP?
I'll just leave this here

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WhiteHowler posted:

Speaking of Unfathomable, does it do a better job than Battlestar Galactica of supporting player counts other than five?

Out of the box, BSG isn't very good unless you have exactly five players. I've tried some online/house rules for re-balancing the game to better support other player counts, and nothing has felt quite right.

The cultist mechanic replaces the sympathiser in 4/6p games and is much better imo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mellifluous posted:

Arboretum.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Llyranor posted:

quote:

> My friends and I sign our game box lids after we win so we can have a log. Here's the lid for TfM after our hundredth game from a few days ago.
> A lot of these games are 1v1s as it is my group's favorite way to play TfM, but our 1v1s can still last up to 8 hours on the high end since our house meta is basically everyone is trying to maximize points and refuses to progress the game so we end around gens 14-16

Monsters among us.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

mellifluous posted:

A few rounds of Dominion.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mellifluous posted:

Res Arcana. You do one simple action a turn, and your choices get whittled down throughout the round.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Res Arcana. You do one simple action a turn, and your choices get whittled down throughout the round.

Adding to this, I feel that the first expansion (Lux et Tenebrae) is a strict improvement on the game, while the second expansion (Perlae Imperii) is a lateral move that accelerates the game's early turns.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CitizenKeen posted:

Wasn't there a post a page or three ago that Libertalia was good? I was going to look into it. What should I do now?

It's a good game that actually scales up to 6p in a reasonable way. If you want to try it, it's on Boardgamearena.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

golden bubble posted:

It's a good game that actually scales up to 6p in a reasonable way. If you want to try it, it's on Boardgamearena.

Alas, I'm a barbarian who has never used boargamearena.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

mellifluous posted:

Concordia might fit the bill. It's not quite multiplayer solitaire, but there is little direct action against each other. The primary interactions are buying cards before others do (which is easy to telegraph) and getting into spots before others do (which is more of a race for cheap parking spots rather than blocking since it just makes spots more expensive for others). Also, each turn is very simple. It's limited by the cards in hand, and the actions are mostly quite small and atomic. (The Mercator is the only minorly complex one, and not even that bad after a game or two.) Perhaps that will make the AP hopefully won't be too bad, but I admit I have not played it with an AP prone person. It might be slightly more than 2 hours your first time, as my first play with 4 with everyone learning the rules was about 2:30, but we were also slow and dumb.

It also has the benefit of being an absolutely terrific game that I recommend to virtually anyone. It's also Thread Approved ™.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lawlicaust posted:

There’s some good Etsy shops out there like Tower Rex or Laser Ox. I’ve ordered from both and the quality is as good or better than Broken Token ever was.
For my Spirit Island organizer, I ordered Tower Rex instead of Folded Space primarily because Folded Space says you need to have both the SI and JE boxes as organizers, while Tower Rex fits one box (and you throw the spirit boards and the two folding boards in the B&C box), so it just seemed less cumbersome a solution. Very satisfied with the quality of the worksmanship. My only complaint is that there could have been some more room in the card organizer if they had it vertical instead of slanted, but I'm not going to sleeve the power cards so it works out fine.

(Was re: Broken Token behavior I learned of through OP)

Magnetic North posted:

I'm very happy that the OP helped at least one goon. It was all worth it.
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who profited from your prodigious labors in writing such comprehensive OP posts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The two box approach from Folded Space leaves a lot of room in the Jagged Earth box (and a bit in the base game box). I rearranged things so that most of the game is in the base box with some of JE plus some odds and ends like scenarios and the B&C board) was in B&C.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just gonna drop this curse off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E23u8_XCuY

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

JFC. Mostly competent technically but loving why?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rich Uncle Pennybags doesn't do it for you?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mellifluous posted:

For instance, he looked up Terraforming Mars and thinks it would be fun (I think he likes engine building and finding satisfying combos),

Race for the Galaxy has card engine building without the boring Mars board, try that instead. It's also quick.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Now do King Caylus

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Now do King Caylus

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Llyranor posted:

NO. BAD. AAAGGH.

We've had 8 player games of TWILIGHT IMPERIUM take less time.

I personally think that AP is bad manners. I mean, obviously, you're wasting everyone else's time somewhat. But there's a social contract says we're going to wait for each other to play, and yeah it pushes that contract.

But more so, it inherently comes with a kind of disrespect for the other players, in that there's this assumption that given enough time to think, you'll win. That "this turn" is critical because if you get it right, then you'll win. Sometimes that is the case, which is fine. But if it isn't, why act like it is? Either:

To save face, or delusions of grandeur.

But, ultimately, both suggest that you think you're better than others, and that not performing that way is embarrassing. Which I think is disrespectful, and doubly so because you're saying "your time is less important than me proving I'm better than you".

You can make a choice based on how it makes you feel instead of how well you think it performs.

Obviously, none of this goes for anyone with any kind of cognitive difficulties, social impairment, mental health issues of any kind etc. Which I get is probably a lot of people. I'm not actually angry about it despite how this post might come off! Just I often hear people in my group blanket defending it, and I disagree.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

!Klams posted:

NO. BAD. AAAGGH.

We've had 8 player games of TWILIGHT IMPERIUM take less time.

This isn't AP. It's a direct illustration of why Terraforming Mars is poo poo. It's an engine builder where building and even running your engine doesn't win or end the game. That means 80% of the game mechanics are totally redundant.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Huh, Libertalia looks pretty cool. Seems simple to teach and learn and I like the theme. And Concordia also looks good to me* despite my dislike of German-style games (especially their aesthetics). The SU&SD review mentioned that unlike a lot of those games you're not stopping the other players from doing things, and you also don't know who's going to win until the end. I didn't really catch why you can't keep track of your score while playing but then I did have my attention split a bit while watching it.

I've been enjoying the fact that I've barely paid attention to board games for the last ten or so years because I've been casually mining Youtube for the last month, going through "Top X" or "Best of..." lists and finding the rare nuggets that look appealing to me. And just when I think I've exhausted the entire back catalog of board games worth knowing about this thread drops a name or two like the above and I head back to Youtube to investigate.

* coming across it now is kind of an opportune time because I'm currently reading a biography of water and I just finished the part about antiquity, specifically how Rome's approach to dealing with collective vs individual power within its political and economic system resulted in a large part of its critical infrastructure and capacity for trade being managed through private enterprise. It's a fantastic book, and I'm not sure why I'm giving it a shout-out in the board game thread, but then given the subject matter of a lot of these games I'm sure I'm not the only history buff here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You don't get to a 10 hour game of Terraforming Mars w/ just one player w/ AP. For one thing, the AP player would get murdered by the rest. BGG says the box time is 120 minutes. Add some friction from it being the first play, that'll contribute, lets say an hour. The rest is (maybe) down to how the end-game triggers are kind of optional. You can grow and run your engine, gaining points, without necessarily advancing the board state which will actually end the game. That's what they mean by "procrastinating putting that ocean down". And maybe they went and have lunch in the middle and leave the clock running.

Lawlicaust posted:

JFC. Mostly competent technically but loving why?

Engagement.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Monsters among us.

gyah!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CATLANTIS is an incredibly chill and simple filler game that I assume most would probably write off as just a children's game or something without giving it the time of day.

It's definitely simple enough that a child could understand it but IMO there's more depth to the game than you might think and I think as a casual filler game it deserves a bit more credit than it has probably gotten.

I tried typing up the rules here but to be honest I think I would be doing the game a disservice because I'm not good at writing, let alone explaining rules in a concise and coherent way. Instead please have this short video I found that explains the rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBp5diDxvg

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Llyranor posted:

This just confuses me. I actually enjoy TfM but it wears out its welcome before the 2 hour mark. The person in the lead has a vested interest in just ending the game; something trivial to do in the game by anyone let alone the person in the lead.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Huh I thought Prospero Hall was bought by Funko Games? I'm surprised to see this from Ravensburger.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

!Klams posted:

I personally think that AP is bad manners.

Everyone I've met with AP did not have mental health issues (that I knew of) and were not choosing to be that way at the table. One friend did choose to work on it, but it was a several-years-long struggle to mitigate it. I am not defending it; it sucks the life out of some game nights, and you're not obligated to play games with people when doing so isn't fun. Anecdotally, though, people with AP are often aware they have it, aware people don't like it, and still can't act differently.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

homullus posted:

Everyone I've met with AP did not have mental health issues (that I knew of) and were not choosing to be that way at the table. One friend did choose to work on it, but it was a several-years-long struggle to mitigate it. I am not defending it; it sucks the life out of some game nights, and you're not obligated to play games with people when doing so isn't fun. Anecdotally, though, people with AP are often aware they have it, aware people don't like it, and still can't act differently.

I am known for having some turns in Feast for Odin take longer than they should. My name is FulsomFrank and I am an APer.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My "serious boardgamer" friends sometimes get angry when I shift gears from "win" to "end the game as quickly as possible by any means necessary", and I'm always confused why I should continue playing for an hour so they can figure out who is first versus second when I'm in fourth and I have the option to drive the game into the ground and end the game now.

"Oh, the game ends when this stack runs out? I will spend all four of my actions drawing from this stack, thank you very much."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

In my experience a lot of AP-havers just don't handle pressure well and are afraid of being judged for poor play, which creates a vicious cycle because then they get judged for taking too long. It sucks but it can be helped by weeding out jerks, which kills two birds with one stone.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm sure this game is good but the art is extremely uncanny valley to me

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

CitizenKeen posted:

My "serious boardgamer" friends sometimes get angry when I shift gears from "win" to "end the game as quickly as possible by any means necessary", and I'm always confused why I should continue playing for an hour so they can figure out who is first versus second when I'm in fourth and I have the option to drive the game into the ground and end the game now.

"Oh, the game ends when this stack runs out? I will spend all four of my actions drawing from this stack, thank you very much."

This kind of stuff is one reason I'm wary about playing (especially longer games) with strangers - too many slapfights/sads about play expectations/conventions.

Like, I think "push to end quickly is fine". I also think "fight to the death to be 3rd instead of 4th" is fine. But some groups will get touchy about the first, and others will get touchy about the second (especially in a political game where "player in 3rd" effectively decides the winner by taking a crack at the player in 2nd). And getting judged on your NPC behavior while you watch the protagonists play the "real game" isn't real fun to start with.

In general I prefer games where it still feels like I'm doing something even if I'm not winning. Like, yeah maybe I'm not going to win a game of Agricola - but i still want to "finish what I was doing", get a stone house, feed my family, whatever. Having an unimpeachable motivation for your doomed actions - "I need 3 more stone for a reno" - smooths out some potential bad feels.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I love games with a hard time limit on when they end so you can't sandbag forever. Like in TI if it somehow goes to the 10th round, best score wins. I'm not the biggest fan of player arbitrated end states like TfM and will always push it to create time pressure.