Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It takes about 2.5 dungeons to gain a level in a dungeon, if you have the armory bonus. 5 runs will handily be all you need per dungeon, before you move to the next. And subjectively, any of the of 81+ dungeons are far, far more fun to do than anything any of the DRs will give you, with the exception of a handful of raid or trial encounters.

If you don't have queues, they're better exp per hour than some MSQ roulettes. I've gotten 15 minute power runs on some of them, which is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Time to dungeon up SGE and DRG, then :sun:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda hitting the doldrums for leveling DRG at 87+, SGE at 81+, and DNC at ~76. After DRs, should I just do Bozja for DNC until 81+, and run dungeons on SGE and DRG?
You can use Bozja/Zadnor to level all the way to 90 if you want. I believe aers said the experience scales up with your level up to 87, but even then the experience gained per skirmish/CE is still very good so you can keep going to 90 if you want.

I don't necessarily recommend leveling jobs to 90 this way but I'm happy it's still an option. I've gotten a bunch of levels in Zadnor across various jobs since I could just turn my brain off and watch tv/streams or listen to podcasts or something else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've gotten 15 minute power runs on some of them, which is absurd.

Yeah someone in my FC was leveling AST at the same time I was leveling DNC and we blasted 87 to 90 in the 87 dungeon in like... an hour and a half-ish? It was awesome.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah someone in my FC was leveling AST at the same time I was leveling DNC and we blasted 87 to 90 in the 87 dungeon in like... an hour and a half-ish? It was awesome.

I ran the 87 dungeon a lot to get Reaper to 90 along with three trusts (plus a few extra runs because I wanted the gloves as glam and they insisted on dropping last). Even with trusts you can run the first two sections really fast with megapulls. Shame the last section has multiple doors though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I break up my leveling options a bit when I reach Vanaspati, because it's mostly a boring dungeon with awkward pulls, but otherwise I've done all my leveling except my starting Astro with dungeon spam, and fates during queues when applicable. On my worst days as dps, I've hit 15 minute queues. Generally during Primal prime time I'm getting sub 10.

My biggest issue with leveling is that prior expansions would give me a ton of materia from ARR and leveling DR Adventurer in Need bonuses, and since I've only ran a couple of those total, I don't have that stockpile of clusters.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibblebibble posted:

The answer is to just do Pinax enough times that you just burn how every combination of mechanics should go into your memory.

I should do a parse run or two of P4S p1 this weekend, it's my only blue parse.

If it goes water poison lightning cape fire we just run around like headless chickens and die

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I jus my got WAR to 82… uh Bloodwhetting seems pretty awesome??

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

:black101:

cheetah7071 posted:

If it goes water poison lightning cape fire we just run around like headless chickens and die

I've taken to letting Water First knock me back and always using Arm's Length during X Shift, whether or not water or cape are involved, to minimize the number of ways I can gently caress things up.

Dancer privilege though, for water > poison i can just let myself get knocked sideways along the water tile and then spread into it, where I know nobody else will be.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
that seems like a good strat for dancer

I'm a dragoon though so I need my uptime

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

You say this but I looked through AST and SCH's kits and I feel like they're way more complicated. AST has like four buttons dedicated to just this card mechanic thing? SCH has a pet that you don't control except when you do and they give you meter to do a thing that gives you another meter which you can use to [???]

Meanwhile SGE is like "put the green thing and a shield on the tank. Now shoot lasers at things until someone is dying and then use your stuff that makes them not die."

I have not unlocked the class that leads into WHM because everyone I play with says WHM is awful.

The actual imprtant difference is that you start SCH at level 1 (it's technically a DPS class until you actually unlock the job at 30, but that's not super important) and AST at level 30. You will have fewer things to learn and manage early on while you learn the role.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It's incredible is what it is. Also your equilibrium gets a HoT effect on it at 84. Combining those two skills with thrill of the battle and your other defensive cooldowns can obviate the need for a healer for all dungeons except the 81 dungeon in Endwalker.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
I finally got around to levelling Blue Mage, and I did the powerlevelling thing with a friend, so now I'm level 70 with exactly one spell. Does anyone have a list of where the useful spells are?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

I love my hallowed ground button for dungeon pulls on a 35s cooldown

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do any other Sages have trouble healing/shielding through wall-pulls in the 81 dungeon? That's twice in a row that my tank has melted once they have 7-8 mobs on them, despite me putting as much Haima, Zoe'd E.Diag, Physis+Holos, and Soteria on, and doing as much DPS as I can. They seem to be using cooldowns as far as I can tell, so it's not just a lack of CDs.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The pulls after the second boss are spicy, and the fate of the group is as much in the tank's hands as it is yours.

They might be missing cooldowns, or have bad gear, or just clipping aoes. Maybe dps is low and they're just wearing down the group's resources.

I don't think it's any harder on Sage than any others, but they are probably some of the rougher dungeon pulls in EW.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Pollyanna posted:

Do any other Sages have trouble healing/shielding through wall-pulls in the 81 dungeon? That's twice in a row that my tank has melted once they have 7-8 mobs on them, despite me putting as much Haima, Zoe'd E.Diag, Physis+Holos, and Soteria on, and doing as much DPS as I can. They seem to be using cooldowns as far as I can tell, so it's not just a lack of CDs.

Yeah I feel a SGE can't really handle a W2W on the last set of mobs on that dungeon. Even after getting my rotation down, tanks still melt just because of how hard those mobs hit.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Noper Q posted:

I finally got around to levelling Blue Mage, and I did the powerlevelling thing with a friend, so now I'm level 70 with exactly one spell. Does anyone have a list of where the useful spells are?

Don't fool yourself, you're going to collect them all.

Find a spell list, collect spells by zone. Watch PF for ones you have to get by dungeons or trials. In general, try to do the content synched. It's a 100% learn rate that way. Way lower if you brute force it at max level.

For the arena, it's fun to tinker around but I certain used videos to shortcut learn some of them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

iPodschun posted:

You can use Bozja/Zadnor to level all the way to 90 if you want. I believe aers said the experience scales up with your level up to 87, but even then the experience gained per skirmish/CE is still very good so you can keep going to 90 if you want.
Pretty sure it doesn't scale after jumping up once at level 80, it's just that it still manages to be good the whole way through. It's just insane in the low 80s.

It's like 345,000 xp per skirmish from 80-90 I believe.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Noper Q posted:

https://ffxivcollect.com/spells

You also have your blue mage spellbook which tells you where each spell is from.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eh, I wouldn't say the Blue Mage spellbook is good for much. It'll give you a zone name, and that's about it. Unless you're going to see every attack from every one of the dozens of mobs there, it doesn't do a lot of good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah chain-running Vanaspati seems dire what with all the forced pauses and uh having to watch a mother and her kids turn into monsters repeatedly

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

wew

Noper Q posted:

What server are you on? If you're on Aether or Crystal, I could come and help.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I don't think it's just Sage. The 81 dungeon just has some extremely spicy pulls. Back in Shadowbringers that was true for the 71 dungeon as well.

Any time I get a tank that wall pulls in the 81 dungeon, especially the last wall pull, I'm sweating, no matter what healer job I'm playing.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah chain-running Vanaspati seems dire what with all the forced pauses and uh having to watch a mother and her kids turn into monsters repeatedly

Worth it though for the Palaka Fending gear. Vanaspati dungeon gear is gorgeous

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://ffxivcollect.com/spells

You also have your blue mage spellbook which tells you where each spell is from.

Thanks!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What server are you on? If you're on Aether or Crystal, I could come and help.

I appreciate the offer, but I have a couple friends working on Blue as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, in that case, I have this simple guide I put together a while back: https://pastebin.com/52SPaMWH

The only immediate error I can think of in that is that the best leveling spot now is the beach in the second Shadowbringers introductory area.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

King of Solomon posted:

The actual imprtant difference is that you start SCH at level 1 (it's technically a DPS class until you actually unlock the job at 30, but that's not super important) and AST at level 30. You will have fewer things to learn and manage early on while you learn the role.

I did Sastasha at level 15 as a Sage while helping someone level something else and just... I don't know, I don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't spend several hours of my life running through low level dungeons with one (1) heal button. Like, I think I'll figure it out, you know?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bleck posted:

I did Sastasha at level 15 as a Sage while helping someone level something else and just... I don't know, I don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't spend several hours of my life running through low level dungeons with one (1) heal button. Like, I think I'll figure it out, you know?

I think the point is that the other healers require you to do that (or close to it) and then slowly build up their toolkits over time, since you mentioned that SCH and AST's kits look really complicated. They look really complex if you are looking at it all as one big max-level package, but since you have to level those healers from low levels, you're slowly getting those abilities over time and learning how they work and it isn't as complex as it looks.

Also I dunno who told you WHM sucks but they're wrong. They have some MP issues in high-end content right now but otherwise they're a perfectly good healer, especially if you like to just throw out big chunky heals and spam Holy in dungeons.

As for SCH, the only part of your fairy's skills you don't directly control is the auto-heal, Embrace, which is the equivalent of Sage's Kardia heals. Every other fairy ability you use just like Sage's oGCDs, they're just centered on your fairy (which can be useful because you can move your fairy around to change where the abilities originate from if you want).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 3, 2022

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Noper Q posted:

Since BLU can fill any of the three roles with Aetherial Mimicry the answer is most of them are useful. There's 104 spells in the game currently, and 2 of those spells are unlocked upon learning 100 spells (and they're good spells), so if you're serious about doing stuff as Blue Mage you probably just want to learn all of them. Just start with all the overworld spells since they're all doable solo so there's no reason not to get them. Then I would try and nab Aetherial Mimicry from Pharos (Hard), and go from there. On my spell learning journey I used PF to learn almost all of the dungeon/trial spells and they often filled up super fast. Remember that you have 100% learn rate from DF content if you do it synced.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Harrow posted:

As for SCH, the only part of your fairy's skills you don't directly control is the auto-heal, Embrace, which is the equivalent of Sage's Kardia heals. Every other fairy ability you use just like Sage's oGCDs, they're just centered on your fairy (which can be useful because you can move your fairy around to change where the abilities originate from if you want).

Ah, thank you. I'm gonna get Scholar maxed out once I get Sage maxed out. I think I will probably still like Sage better, but - and this is crucial - the Scholar job outfit at level 90 is the nicest costume in the game and I want to wear it, so.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Kazy posted:

Yeah I feel a SGE can't really handle a W2W on the last set of mobs on that dungeon. Even after getting my rotation down, tanks still melt just because of how hard those mobs hit.

In my experience most healers can’t handle that

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never want to get the 71 or 81 dungeons when I'm queuing as a healer. They both just have absolutely brutal trash pulls, especially the second section of the 71 dungeon and the third of the 81 dungeon.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I single pulled the second part of 71 last time I got it cause I was out of cooldowns and dps was bad, but I felt like a real piece of poo poo the whole time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if the dps is slow enough that you have to use multiple big CDs in the same pull, it's their fault that you're single pulling

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bleck posted:

So start with the level 30 jobs and manually queue, you'll have a slightly larger kit without jumping into a job with an enormous kit before you even know how the role works. Harrow has it exactly right.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
EXDR two days ago, I had a healer chastise the wall pulling tank for not holding enemies still so the drg could execute positionals. I had to think for a moment about whether AOEs had positions to make sure I wasn't the idiot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hazardousmouse posted:

EXDR two days ago, I had a healer chastise the wall pulling tank for not holding enemies still so the drg could execute positionals. I had to think for a moment about whether AOEs had positions to make sure I wasn't the idiot.

lmao

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
to be slightly fair, drg aoes hit in a line and if the enemies are constantly moving it can be tricky to hit everything but also the tank has to move to dodge aoes and any halfway decent drg will have tons of practice changing targets to hit all the mobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

So start with the level 30 jobs and manually queue, you'll have a slightly larger kit without jumping into a job with an enormous kit before you even know how the role works.

I'm just gonna play the game the way I want, thanks.