Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

drat, the deluxe edition map looks wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1489016664360464393?s=20&t=VBD5PlNOL2OmcLtoGM__Vg

dunno if this was posted before but more gameplay. Slightly, barely spoilery but it does have BEAR FOOTAGE

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Elden Ring: Edited Footage of a Bear

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

There's some quickstepping during the bear bits, I wonder if it's a weapon art from the daggers.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Aidan_702 posted:

https://twitter.com/EldenRingUpdate/status/1489016664360464393?s=20&t=VBD5PlNOL2OmcLtoGM__Vg

dunno if this was posted before but more gameplay. Slightly, barely spoilery but it does have BEAR FOOTAGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJ-MpPBDug

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Don't Ask posted:

There's some quickstepping during the bear bits, I wonder if it's a weapon art from the daggers.

That would actually be a pretty cool way to make daggers feel unique. Right now they feel like “slightly faster swords”. Give me monster hunter dual blades already Miyazaki

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Aidan_702 posted:

dunno if this was posted before but more gameplay. Slightly, barely spoilery but it does have BEAR FOOTAGE BARE FEETAGE

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Every day we get closer and closer to god.

The Elden King who has the Elden Ring for our Elden Life.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Gonna do a quick tour through some souls games to get my mind ready. Think an op mage in demons souls as i havent done magic yet. Then sekiro. Was thinking DS3 too but ehhhh nah

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Yep I think it’s time to go into media blackout for this. This will be my first souls game since DS1 where I’ll have the chance to go into the experience blind and the community hasn’t discovered everything/“solved” the story yet.

I try to to get hyped for any media, especially video games since it’s usually just all marketing BS and it’s hard to live up to the hype, but drat I haven’t been hyped like this since I was a literal child.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pulcinella posted:

Yep I think it’s time to go into media blackout for this. This will be my first souls game since DS1 where I’ll have the chance to go into the experience blind and the community hasn’t discovered everything/“solved” the story yet.

I try to to get hyped for any media, especially video games since it’s usually just all marketing BS and it’s hard to live up to the hype, but drat I haven’t been hyped like this since I was a literal child.

Felt like one of those losers who posts reaction videos to Star Wars or Marvel trailers when the gameplay trailer dropped.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I bought a nice little notebook just for Elden Ring. I'm going to transcribe my first entries, perhaps I'll inspire someone else to do the same.

Fancy Journal posted:

Why did I buy this? Six years ago, I was incredibly excited to play Dark Souls 3. I intended to go dex+sorcery, meaning to replicate my success in DS2. But now, looking back, I have no recollection of how that first playthrough went. The memories have been lost, overwritten, by subsequent runs. So my intention here, beyond conveniently centralizing various scratch notes & ideas that I don't want to alt-tab to my inevitable spreadsheet, is to record my experiences, impressions, reaction so they are not lost.

It is Feb. 2nd and there are 23 days until Elden Ring. It has been hard to write this - the reluctance to befoul a lovely pristine notebook has been hard to overcome. Hopefully now that my first chickenscratches are down I can more freely jot down whatever I want.

I've tried to remain mostly spoiler free, but there are a few things I've picked up.
-There's a scary horseman near the start, who can destroy buildings.
-The "firekeeper" shows up after finding three "sites of grace"
-Jumping and R2 attacks are very good for building "posture" damage. So is the shield counter.
-Magic can be charged for no extra MP cost.
-Spirits??
Presumably the Souls leveling strategy of meeting weapon min stats and then pumping defensive options remains.
-Six major dungeon areas.
-Invaders have a near-instant teleport-disengage to reset an encounter. Only co-op players are invasion targets.

Story-wise I know very little! Excited to try to piece it together myself. Tarnished, Lands Between, broken ring, rune of death, quite a few names starting with "M", erdtree.

I don't think I can play ER straight for my entire vacation so I should use downtime to mark down my experiences.

Vaguely recalled: Character editting is said to be unlimited, so don't spend too much time fine-tuning appearance at the start. First character is likely getting deleted after one playthrough anyway!

Please make a point to LABEL any scratch numbers/calculations here. You write them down precisely to not have to hold them in your mind. Of course you forget what they were for quickly.

Grayshift fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 3, 2022

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
im in my 30s and just booked 3 days off work to play the video game Elden Ring. next logical step is to find and buy a high durability poop sock i guess

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

punished milkman posted:

im in my 30s and just booked 3 days off work to play the video game Elden Ring. next logical step is to find and buy a high durability poop sock i guess

I'm also in my 30s and booked 5 days off work to play Elden Ring

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i didn't book time off because i'm not a weirdo but i did tell my friends i'd be busy all saturday and not to bug me

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I'm a weirdo so I took release day off

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Frankston posted:

I'm also in my 30s and booked 5 days off work to play Elden Ring

I took off the following Monday and Tuesday yeah.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My work is running a department audit that week so I’ll be actually busy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I may take time off, but I hope it goes better than the time I took a week off when Diablo 3 launched

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think I played DS2 and 3 at launch and they were fine. Maybe didn't play literal day one but that week/weekend.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I actually took time off on the current release week for unrelated reasons before they moved the release date. Then I called Miyazaki and he helpfully changed the release date to the friday before my leave starts :hellyeah:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Not to mention when I preordered DS2 collectors edition from Bandai, and they hosed up the invoice so it showed double the cost because the bundled t shirt was entered as a separate line item but at the same cost as the entire thing so they tried to charge me duties based on that error, which I wouldn't pay so I sent it back. They claimed it was damaged upon receival and I never got the game or my money back, but at least that was the final lesson I needed to abandon frivolous hard copies forever

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Jack B Nimble posted:

I took off the following Monday and Tuesday yeah.

I have a lot of things happening this year so could only take the Friday and off :(

:Edit: I will be wearing my praise the sun hoodie while I play it

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You loving slut, is it this one? https://www.insertcoinclothing.com/hoodies/sun-bros-of-astora.html I've wanted that for so long

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Gonna do a quick tour through some souls games to get my mind ready. Think an op mage in demons souls as i havent done magic yet. Then sekiro. Was thinking DS3 too but ehhhh nah

You've got time! Demon's Souls as a magic user takes about 20 minutes.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Hi, I'm 45 and I'm taking time off work for a video game. I can't wait till I can move into a video game oriented nursing home. Just whole buncha old farts bitching about the latest games and how they aren't as good as they used to but thank god we don't have to work anymore and can just hyper-focus those things to completion without a care in the world.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I hope they nail down this PC vulnerability before release day. No way am I playing online otherwise, and I really want to!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.gamesradar.com/elden-ring-release-day-may-be-a-hellscape-according-to-dark-souls-3-security-modder/

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I have a month to beat the game before I go on my honeymoon...

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

The exploit that launched a million worst case scenario clickbait articles...

1. From has taken down all PC Souls multiplayer functionality to fix at the very least the RCE exploit, which although documented, has only been performed by the white hat hacker who discovered it and communicated the issue to Bandai Namco / From. They are presumably priotizing incorporating this fix into Elden Ring with the older titles to follow.

2. Elden Ring will be the first Souls game to incorporate Easy Anti-Cheat which will cut down on in-game memory editing and most other forms of hacking players will be able to do.

3. Dark Souls 3 was probably the worst at launch as it utilized the same network code as the previous titles without any modification to the netcode other then some basic and easily overcome things like item modification detection. Very little is checked client side.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think worst case scenario would be the PC version gets delayed and the older games don't get their multiplayer back on PC. Which would absolutely suck (moreso if the latter happens), but the RCE discovery is ultimately a blessing if it's causing From to actually take their netcode seriously. Plus the Easy Anti-Cheat inclusion is pretty reassuring.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

enojy posted:

You've got time! Demon's Souls as a magic user takes about 20 minutes.

Beat the tutorial vanguard on a fresh ng :smuggo:

the trick was to bait the overhead slam so i could run behind it and spam spells also resetting a couple times helped

didnt know that triggered a special cut scene. thats p neat

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Was it DS3 that had hackers stab you with a dagger that’s gave you a ridiculous amount of souls in an instant so you’d trip the ban bot? That was pretty funny

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

acksplode posted:

I'm a weirdo so I took release day off

same

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
my mom is flying into town the same day elden ring comes out. sorry mom, hope you like watching me fight monsters and stuff

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My favorite hack that I heard about was the +14 poison binoculars. Not as funny in the execution but the idea of those popping up in your inventory was pretty funny

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know in the original dark souls pc port there was stuff like hackers making your character's helmet the entire geographic model of the undead burg so every time you tried to load in from that point on the game would just crash and such

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

i know in the original dark souls pc port there was stuff like hackers making your character's helmet the entire geographic model of the undead burg so every time you tried to load in from that point on the game would just crash and such

lmao

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I took the 25th off as I did for Sekiro's release. Will VPN to unlock it too if it's goofy like Sekiro and isn't unlocked at midnight EST.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
My kid has that week off from school so if I'm playing any vidya games that Friday it'll prob be breath of the wild. As we are playing that together

Prob gonna take off monday tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how old's your kid, just trick them into thinking they're playing breath of the wild