Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Got these last week and finally shot a lovely photo this weekend.

Finally catching up on my Isobel Campbell after putting it off for the past couple decades. The Mark Lanegan colab era is still a bit daunting to tackle just yet, though. Amorino and Milkwhite Sheets are 2020 reissues of her first and second solo records* from 2003 and 2006, respectively. There is No Other is her newest from 2020. Amorino is very enjoyable, more of that late Jeepster-era B&S vibe that we all love, been having a residency on my turntable for the last few days.

*Besides Gentle Waves, which is a whole other different yet very similar thing. Also an expensive thing

CPL593H posted:

I had a date planned with this dude to my favorite record store and he ghosted me. I realized later it was because he was trying to get me to sell him my copy of the Residents WB Album. When he fully realized I wasn't going to sell it to him he just strung me along until the last minute. So that's definitely one of the more supremely lovely things anyone's done to me but at least I can bask in the satisfaction that I have way cooler poo poo than he does and he probably won't be able to get his hands on any of it because it's all way more expensive than when I bought it. He probably figured he was going to sweet talk me into selling it to him for cheaper than internet price. So yeah, gently caress that guy (but don't gently caress that guy).

On a lighter note I just got a sealed original copy of Hairway To Steven by the Butthole Surfers. I paid a little more than I normall would have for a used Butthole Surfers LP but I liked having the assurance that it wasn't going to be a G+ graded as a VG+.

He's to be nobody's hole, tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

pwn posted:

He's to be nobody's hole, tonight.

Zing!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

:dance:

It's a bummer Beck's older stuff is much harder to find on vinyl, but I do love this album (minus track 3).

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 27, 2022

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
I've got a voucher for the MP3 version of Fear of a Black Planet:

https://redeem.backtoblackvinyl.com/
Code: VU23K36UQ

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
Looking for some help with my turntable. I recently got a Pro-Ject Primary III and running into an issue where even on new records I get skipping and a lot of popping, and on older records the arm will jump to the middle of the record but not play music. Originally I thought it was an issue with the counter weight or with the whole thing being level, but I've adjusted the counter weight using the tool and everything is level. I'm still pretty new to using a turntable so I'm probably overlooking something simple but Pro-Ject support has been non-existent. Any other sort of ideas on what it could be?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I wish every records jacket was as thick as The Misfits Project 1950.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

dadjokes posted:

Looking for some help with my turntable. I recently got a Pro-Ject Primary III and running into an issue where even on new records I get skipping and a lot of popping, and on older records the arm will jump to the middle of the record but not play music. Originally I thought it was an issue with the counter weight or with the whole thing being level, but I've adjusted the counter weight using the tool and everything is level. I'm still pretty new to using a turntable so I'm probably overlooking something simple but Pro-Ject support has been non-existent. Any other sort of ideas on what it could be?

Anti skate? Un-even platter? Do you have a gauge for needle pressure (overkill, but worth knowing, something like https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00KMJXEBQ/)

midge fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 28, 2022

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Definitely should have a high precision scale like that (which you can also use to weigh various drugs)

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ey got the only other CD in the series (since Billie Holiday came up earlier in the thread I decided why not?) and at least one Nina Simone song has stealthily made it's way in to my mp3 files anyways.

Should be an interesting jumping off point anyways.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

dadjokes posted:

Seconding anti skate, sounds like it's cranked all the way up. Or maybe the stylus is damaged.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

caligulamprey posted:

If the rumors are true and he’s doing a Ska version of his pride flag for those shows, I’m gonna need three.
GOOD NEWS

https://reallyrecords.bigcartel.com/product/ska-weed-flag

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

That SKADREAMR shirt is incredible

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It was a Geoff Farina type of week

Got the Radiohead box set in too

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

Boinks posted:

Seconding anti skate, sounds like it's cranked all the way up. Or maybe the stylus is damaged.

Thank you to you and midge I will give it a look tomororw

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Read After Burning posted:

:dance:

It's a bummer Beck's older stuff is much harder to find on vinyl, but I do love this album (minus track 3).

Thanks for reminding me to put Beck – Guero on the list. Sea Change (well, the definitive Sea Change) is still astronomical price, for the color and black vinyl. Due, naturally to being Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab presses.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

incoherent posted:

Thanks for reminding me to put Beck – Guero on the list. Sea Change (well, the definitive Sea Change) is still astronomical price, for the color and black vinyl. Due, naturally to being Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab presses.

There's a regular rear end pressing from Geffin or whoever.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.discogs.com/release/9436063-Beck-Sea-Change I have this pressing and it sounds fantastic

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Only Record got repressed

https://davidlynch.bandcamp.com/album/the-flame-of-love?from=fanpub_fnb_merch

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I think I'm going to return my AT120-XBT if their customer service allows me to. Turns out the Bluetooth is permanently on, goes into pairing mode for over a minute every time I turn it on and it connects to devices I don't want it to even after doing a "factory reset" on it several times. The other night it woke up my neighbor 2 floors down because it paired with his soundbar at some point and now refuses to forget it or not connect to it on startup. There's literally nothing I can do.

Anyways, if I get this thing unloaded, what's a decent one to look for that doesn't have this ridiculously stupid thing going for it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

I think I'm going to return my AT120-XBT if their customer service allows me to. Turns out the Bluetooth is permanently on, goes into pairing mode for over a minute every time I turn it on and it connects to devices I don't want it to even after doing a "factory reset" on it several times. The other night it woke up my neighbor 2 floors down because it paired with his soundbar at some point and now refuses to forget it or not connect to it on startup. There's literally nothing I can do.

Anyways, if I get this thing unloaded, what's a decent one to look for that doesn't have this ridiculously stupid thing going for it?

Anything without Bluetooth?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I would say max budget is 500-ish with either no BT or the unusual capability to turn it off.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rolo posted:

I would say max budget is 500-ish with either no BT or the unusual capability to turn it off.

A U turn is about $200 right?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah i think the U-Turn with the pre-amp is like $250.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Basic with preamp is $270, iirc.

I have an Orbit Special without preamp and I will say the only thing that I do not like about it is changing the belt from 33 to 45 RPM and vice versa. Can be very fiddly.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rolo posted:

I hope they let you return it because that's awful. If for some reason you end up stuck with it, I wonder how hard it would be to just disable the bluetooth permanently. This is the section of the board that handles the BT. I would try just unplugging that red connector to start. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hot Diggity! posted:

Basic with preamp is $270, iirc.

I have an Orbit Special without preamp and I will say the only thing that I do not like about it is changing the belt from 33 to 45 RPM and vice versa. Can be very fiddly.

I have to put my belt in the freezer overnight to get it back to normal :argh:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I love my AT-120LP. It plays records, and doesn't randomly connect to my neighbour's system.

I change speeds by pressing a button

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know why you would want a turntable table with bluetooth.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Think about all the people who buy records and the closest thing they have to a stereo is their phone. This is marketed directly towards them.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

One of the first records I bought when I started collecting around 2010. Picked this up at a Califone show in Kentucky. Their drummer Jim Becker worked on this soundtrack for a film called Interkosmos.

http://www.jbspins.com/2021/10/jim-finns-interkosmos-on-ovidtv.html

I still haven't seen the film but I know this record like the back of my hand. Here's the album in it's entirety, don't mind the pops and cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gpVL6fK-qM

CaptainBeefart fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 2, 2022

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’ve actually seen a few turntables now that do Bluetooth out so you can connect speakers that way. Not perfect by any means, but a hell of a lot better than buying a Crosley and using the built in speakers.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

wa27 posted:

I hope they let you return it because that's awful. If for some reason you end up stuck with it, I wonder how hard it would be to just disable the bluetooth permanently. This is the section of the board that handles the BT. I would try just unplugging that red connector to start. :shrug:

Dude thanks, I would 100% ruin my warranty and be cool with it being gone forever. The 120 is a great turntable and I don’t use the wireless bits.

pwn posted:

I love my AT-120LP. It plays records, and doesn't randomly connect to my neighbour's system.

I change speeds by pressing a button

It’s a great player! I love it otherwise.

CPL593H posted:

Same. It’s just the 120 model I ended up with, not knowing there were ‘OOPS! All Bluetooth’ models.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Rolo posted:

I think I'm going to return my AT120-XBT

I’m running into a much less bad but similar problem where I have to turn off my sound bar when I turn on the turntable, and yeah as far as I can tell no way to undo it. The BT absolutely did what I needed to before I had a receiver and decent speakers but now it’d be nice if I didn’t have to do that. No idea how it found your neighbor’s device to connect if it hadn’t been paired.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Think about all the people who buy records and the closest thing they have to a stereo is their phone. This is marketed directly towards them.

Tell them to get the gently caress off my lawn.

Rolo posted:

Same. It’s just the 120 model I ended up with, not knowing there were ‘OOPS! All Bluetooth’ models.

I'm glad I got mine before they started sticking all kinds of goofy poo poo in them. Mine predates them even having USB connectivity.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

My dad-in-law and I have the same turntable, but his has Bluetooth and mine doesn't. He has speakers all over their house/in the backyard, so he wanted Bluetooth on his. Meanwhile, I currently only have the one set of speakers so I have no need for Bluetooth in my turntable. I do "plug" my phone audio into my speakers via Bluetooth, so I can listen to Bandcamp and such.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Read After Burning posted:

My dad-in-law and I have the same turntable, but his has Bluetooth and mine doesn't. He has speakers all over their house/in the backyard, so he wanted Bluetooth on his. Meanwhile, I currently only have the one set of speakers so I have no need for Bluetooth in my turntable. I do "plug" my phone audio into my speakers via Bluetooth, so I can listen to Bandcamp and such.

That sounds like the most annoying way to get multi zone audio. Bluetooth in my house barely goes through walls to the next room and definitely doesn’t make it into the back yard.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kind of interested in opinions about the opera. My parents actually took me to this one when I was small, I was just thinking about that when I saw this copy, looks like it's in great shape.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

CPL593H posted:

I upgraded to a bluetooth specifically because our living room is massive and now I am able to keep the record player in one corner right next to all of the records. It connects to our surround sound receiver under the TV and sounds great without having wires running all over the floor, especially with two cats and a dog.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It kind of looks like she's blasting all of those little people out of her vagina.

I just got deez:

The covers have some pretty bad mold damage but the records are actually in pretty nice shape and they were five bucks a piece so I bought them. Not too sure what I'm going to do with the covers yet because I'd prefer not to junk them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Is that Jeremy Irons?