Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Tobermory posted:

AITA for telling my BIL he needs to leave my house?

To my dying day I will never understand what makes people see their SOs act like this and think "yes, this is the person I want to marry. This is the person I love and want to spend the rest of my life with. Til death do us part "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Don't lay on the floor for hours because you didn't get your way, just leave"
"That's kinda irrational, don't you think?"

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

To my dying day I will never understand what makes people see their SOs act like this and think "yes, this is the person I want to marry. This is the person I love and want to spend the rest of my life with. Til death do us part "

The only answer I can come up with is 'terror of being alone'. With an additional sprinkle of 'not wanting the bad feeling of hurting someone by rejecting them'.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's a good chance that breaking up with them will require two additional people, one to get the head and the other the feet as they guide him out the door like a box spring

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for taking my supervisor and company to court and possibly getting him fired?

quote:

Me (43F) and my supervisor (47M) have been working for the same building for the last 21 years. I met him on my first day of work and over the last 2 decades he was become real close with me and my co-workers (we’ve met his family, he’s met ours, he would invite us to personal events and we’ve invite him, etc.) to the point where we considered him a friend. That is until recently. About a year and half ago our foreman had decided to call it quits and retire. Having left a position of foreman open, many co-workers talked about how it would come down to me and another co-worker to take the position as we had the most experience and seniority. When the time came to pick, the supervisor came in and said that I had the position. I was thrilled as well as many of my coworkers, although I did question on why we had skipped protocol on officially making me a foreman. He told me not to worry about it and that management was happy. Having trusted his words I went about doing the duties of a foreman for the next 14 months. That’s is until one random day he arrived in with a stranger and in front of everyone declared him our new boss/foreman. Shocked and puzzled I questioned him on what was going on. To which he replied that “they” wanted someone new from outside the crew. When I asked who “they” were he ignored my question and said how this would be good for everyone. He even went on to say how I should be friends with I’m as we could make me lot more money. I told him I wouldn’t accept this and he was violating union contract, that even if he considered me a temp foreman it should have been for max only 4 months, anything after that I was officially a permanent foreman. He got angry and told me do whatever I wanted. Since then he as refused to talk to anyone in the crew and ignores anything from us. There was even rumors about him boasting on how there was nothing to prove I ever had the position. Unbeknownst to him I have every text, email and video of duties as foreman over the last 14 months.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Alchenar posted:

The only answer I can come up with is 'terror of being alone'. With an additional sprinkle of 'not wanting the bad feeling of hurting someone by rejecting them'.

"I can fix him" also.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for taking my supervisor and company to court and possibly getting him fired?

"What? People just save their communications so they can prove I hosed them over?

When uh... When did this start?" :ohdear:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I started working full-time as a trainer in my field and already I have had two new workers try to throw me under the bus regarding trainings or just flat out saying I did something. Both where totally shocked that I had extensive documentation backing me up. It's shocking that people don't always do this to protect themselves

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I started working full-time as a trainer in my field and already I have had two new workers try to throw me under the bus regarding trainings or just flat out saying I did something. Both where totally shocked that I had extensive documentation backing me up. It's shocking that people don't always do this to protect themselves

It's surreal, like you don't even have to be paranoid to have records of everything, you just have to not delete anything. Have these people really not twigged to the archival library in each pocket?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

It's surreal, like you don't even have to be paranoid to have records of everything, you just have to not delete anything. Have these people really not twigged to the archival library in each pocket?

Pretty much. I keep a log of what I do on a daily basis and when I had a supervisor call me yesterday to say that a new woman told him that I had done something and that is why some document was lost it took me less than a minute to open up my log and say I wasn't even in the state that day

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Xachariah posted:

Wait a minute, isn't this a bit from Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

Are you talking about when Peralta tried to talk about The New Yorker to Kevin, or when Holt was Kevin's "Bimbo" for making a mistake? The later was him mistaking two classicals for each other, not making a pop culture reference instead of the classicals reference.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Solenna posted:

Either buddy here doesn't understand what a hysterectomy entails or his sister didn't give him the full story on why she needs one, which is perfectly reasonable on her end. But doctors aren't going to be yanking a perfectly healthy uterus out of a 23 year old for no reason other than "doesn't want kids." There's other sterilization surgery that doesn't include removing organs.
It's possible that OP is too stupid to know the difference between hysterectomy and tubal ligation.

Congratulations to Sister for actually getting her surgery; you practically have to hire a gang of bank robbers to take over the hospital and force the doctor to perform surgery even if you medically need it. As far as the medical establishment is concerned, women are breeding stock.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think Raymond is remembering the story correctly. Alexander didn't see Parmenion as a rival. But I suppose I can see how holding any book would seem like a taunt to you.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

It's possible that OP is too stupid to know the difference between hysterectomy and tubal ligation.

Congratulations to Sister for actually getting her surgery; you practically have to hire a gang of bank robbers to take over the hospital and force the doctor to perform surgery even if you medically need it. As far as the medical establishment is concerned, women are breeding stock.

I was 38 with two kids and a wife who had just survived colon cancer and when I went to get a vasectomy (she had surgeries that could cause serious complications if she gets pregnant) and the first doctor I saw flat out asked "what if she ends up dying" to me when I went for a consult. Shockingly did not go with him and still waiting for the outcome of the complaint I made against him.

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

the only good thing about the "childfree" subreddit is that big list of doctors they maintain who don't give patients too much trouble when they go in seeking sterilization

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

B-Rock452 posted:

I was 38 with two kids and a wife who had just survived colon cancer and when I went to get a vasectomy (she had surgeries that could cause serious complications if she gets pregnant) and the first doctor I saw flat out asked "what if she ends up dying" to me when I went for a consult. Shockingly did not go with him and still waiting for the outcome of the complaint I made against him.

I tell this story often, but my husband went in for a vasectomy and took me along for moral support. The doctor took him into a separate room and asked if he'd thought about what he'd do if his second wife wanted a child.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Blastedhellscape posted:

Honestly the people at this party come off as giant loving snobs, and I wouldn't want to hang out with them either.
As someone who's been in exactly the same situation...nah. It can be tricky to fit in at a work party where everyone else is a classical scholar, but telling them they're wrong about the minutiae of their field is rolling a 1 on your Charisma check

Invisible Clergy posted:

Setting that aside, what kind of white American racist even thinks about Hindus, much less has a hardon against them specifically? They make up a little less than 1% of the population. It's possible and likely for most people to live their whole lives without even meeting one. How could they possibly be inconveniencing him in any way? Terrible. Hope OP wins his hr suit.
My best guess is that this is happening on the Silicon Prairie or some other place where tech and education have suddenly (i.e. over 40 years) become the main economy of a place where people wear cowboy hats.

therobit posted:

AITA for asking my husband to choose between his daughters?

Who would have thought that they guy who cheated on his wife with you would cheat on you too?
Once a sidepiece, always a sidepiece.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for putting pepper on everything?

I like it when two characters like this will take each other out of the dating pool so no one else has to deal with their nonsense.

Peppercorns and garlic are such a good combo. :smith:

Honestly, people need to be aware that food incompatibility is a relationship dealbreaker and :sever: way sooner than they do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Blastedhellscape posted:

I'm maybe going to get accused of decorum poisoning here, but when I run into a person who says something that seems both earnest and kind of ignorant about a subject I actually know a lot about my first instinct is to try to use diplomatic language and let them down easy. And maybe make it an educational moment. "Oh. I see how that book might have led you to think that, but it was simplifying things a bit and there's a lot more to subject, such as..."
That's exactly what I'd do. But did you read the story? Sandra basically walked up to Martha, grabbed her by the shoulders, and started shaking her while screaming "I AM STUPID. I AM A BIG DUMMY DUMB DUMB. I DEMAND THAT YOU LAUGH AT ME."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 3, 2022

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Wild reading all these stories about people who flatly refuse to make the best of it. I've been to a ton of family weddings with screamy kids. It is part of the experience, and people just hot-potato the little potato around. Dude has a legitimate bitch if they honestly sprung the "surprise, you are the uncompensated full-time child carer!" thing on him the day of. But why did that happen, there is enough family there that everybody can take their turn, and he should have advocated for that rather than dipping out. Crying about missing the reading is a hell of a thing. Is that real? Do people honestly look forward to 1 Corinthians 13:4 as rendered by the most 14 year old of your female cousins that much?

This was sprung on him.

He was assigned duty outside for every milestone of the ceremony and would only be allowed inside for a sum 30 minutes. Then, he's excluded for 100% of the reception which is basically the reward for schlepping to a wedding.

He was clearly being targeted for responsibility about 95% of the time which isn't possibly fair, nor is the painfully insulting excuse that they couldn't afford a sitter- during their wedding. I would have paid 100 bones myself not to hold a baby outside the entire time a close sibling has a wedding. He wasn't even given that option because it was a comprehensive gently caress You.

At worse he's the rear end in a top hat for an Irish exit. I would have notified a few people before my sprint to the car.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Tobermory posted:

AITA for telling my BIL he needs to leave my house?

I want to know why OP’s sister doesn’t just divorce the man baby. Also OP is an rear end in a top hat for “My wife and I’s.”

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I tell this story often, but my husband went in for a vasectomy and took me along for moral support. The doctor took him into a separate room and asked if he'd thought about what he'd do if his second wife wanted a child.

My Dr. was talking about the different techniques he could use; tying, stapling, or cauterizing. When I assured him that I was 100% he says 'well, we can do all three and I can assure you that there is no way this could ever be reversed'. A+, would recommend.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for refusing to accept a birthday cake from my future SIL?

they can use this post as a bittering agent on switch cartridges to stop kids eating them

Lol, tf is wrong with this person? She sounds bitter/jealous that her future sister in law is way cooler and more talented than her. "She offered to make my kid an awesome homemade cake for their birthday", better flat out refuse and insult her in the process. :psyboom:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

dog nougat posted:

Lol, tf is wrong with this person? She sounds bitter/jealous that her future sister in law is way cooler and more talented than her. "She offered to make my kid an awesome homemade cake for their birthday", better flat out refuse and insult her in the process. :psyboom:

Don't forget the SIL's previous offense of making OP dinner from vegetables and herbs from her garden. OP barely refrained from spitting in her face after that stunt.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The reply to her husband's whining is simple: "Joey and Debbie can do what they want because they don't have kids at home." I suspect she's not going to say that because it's the reason she's bitter!

Slo-Tek posted:

Wild reading all these stories about people who flatly refuse to make the best of it. I've been to a ton of family weddings with screamy kids. It is part of the experience, and people just hot-potato the little potato around. Dude has a legitimate bitch if they honestly sprung the "surprise, you are the uncompensated full-time child carer!" thing on him the day of. But why did that happen, there is enough family there that everybody can take their turn, and he should have advocated for that rather than dipping out.
It's 100% clear to me that if he had tried to discuss that, he would've gotten the same bitching that he got after the wedding. They voluntold him on the day-of and lost their poo poo when he balked at what they knew was a lovely move.

And come on, seriously, how do you see that working out? They'd still spend the entire wedding and reception trying to hand the baby back to him, giving him the evil eye every time it was someone else's turn, whining at him whenever he tried to chat about anything besides why aren't you babysitting for us right now you ungrateful wretch

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 3, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Family backstabbing

quote:

So about 3 weeks ago I let my cousin borrow my car for a couple hours and haven't seen or heard from him since. They same day I let him borrow it, I received a text message from a repo company stating my car had been repoed and I could make an appt to get my personal things out of it. Well after talking to my lein holder they assured me their computers showed my car hadn't been repossessed. My account had been transferred to the repossession department for investigation but no order had been sent for repossession. So after that I went down to my local courthouse and filled out an affidavit on my cousin, they charged him with joyriding basically and issued a warrant.

That following weekend I called the number I got the message from about my car being repoed and spoke to a woman who owned a repo company. She proceeded to tell me thing that I couldn't believe. Basically my cousin had this planned for weeks and was messaging her her everyday until the day I loaned him my car. After he had my car he told her he had it and she needed to call me saying it had been repoed so that I couldn't report it stolen. Obviously she sent me a message saying that and once she did that, he cut off contact with her and decided to keep my car to himself.

I'm wondering if I have any type of case against the repo company for conspiring with my cousin to steal my car and fraudulently telling me my car had been repoed to keep me from going to the cops. Oh and I have a copy of every text message between my cousin and the repo lady. She willfully sent all of them to me. Anybody have any experience with this kinda bullshit?

Paragraphs added.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Uncle Enzo posted:

Don't forget the SIL's previous offense of making OP dinner from vegetables and herbs from her garden. OP barely refrained from spitting in her face after that stunt.

I really want to know what the OP thinks the point of a vegetable garden is, since apparently eating the vegetables from it is a horrific faux pas.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sadly it does happen that a guy will be pushed into an operation by his wife. My cousin’s first wife came out as gay after 10 years and two kids and divorced him. He had gotten a vasectomy at her insistence after the second child.

He remarried to a wonderful woman who is probably the best stepmother I have ever observed, but who also wants a child of her own. He got a reversal operation, which cost more and was more painful than the original operation. Now it’s sort of a waiting game to see if it was successful roughly 10 years after the initial operation, which is right when outcomes start to get dicey.

therobit fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 3, 2022

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

AnoHito posted:

I really want to know what the OP thinks the point of a vegetable garden is, since apparently eating the vegetables from it is a horrific faux pas.

Well considering she mentions getting a cake from Walmart, I'm guessing the idea of eating food you grew yourself is some sort horrible nightmare scenario. I'm willing to bet there's some bizarre hang-up about germs or something weird like that. Don't eat the delicious vegetables from the garden, eat this salad in a bag that might give you e. coli.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

AnoHito posted:

"brb, gonna do something normal I do every day!"

"hoooooooooly poo poo that bitch is extra, goddam"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

Family backstabbing
I'm not sure why this repo company lady did the legal equivalent of handing someone a gun and then grabbing the gun and putting the barrel in her mouth. IANAL so I don't know which or how many felonies she admitted to, but I'm 100% certain the number is greater than 0.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

therobit posted:

Sadly it does happen that a guy will be pushed into an operation by his wife.

"Are you sure you want this and aren't being pressured?" is a very different question than "What if your next wife wants a child?" The second one, which is actually what was said, presumes that the current wife is temporary.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure why this repo company lady did the legal equivalent of handing someone a gun and then grabbing the gun and putting the barrel in her mouth. IANAL so I don't know which or how many felonies she admitted to, but I'm 100% certain the number is greater than 0.

Because she is dumb. At least 2: conspiracy and grand theft auto. If crossing state lines is involved, probably some other stuff. Very interesting post with a mundane title. That cousin could use some back stabbing.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my wife to stop making my sister feel bad?

quote:

I (30M) and my wife (30F) have been married for a year. My sister (22F) recently, got kicked out by my mom (58F) for not getting a real job. It's my sister's dream to become a content creator. She has recently reached 3k followers on Instagram. She makes vlogs about her daily life and posts them on Instagram. It doesn't generate a lot of money but I've been supportive towards her. After my mom kicked her out I let her move in with us since she had nowhere else to go.

And this is why my wife has been mad at me. She keeps telling me to tell my sister to get a real job. It doesn't help that my wife hates pets and my sister owns two cats. She even tried to convince me to throw away her cats. (My sister loves her cats more than anything). The cats also don't bother us anyway. My sister also helps us with the chores and other stuff around the house.

It's not like I am financially dependent on my wife either. I am financially stable and make more than her and pay 2/3 of the rent. I am the one paying for everything my sister needs. Our home is 3 bedroom/3 bathroom. So I don't understand what is the problem with my sister staying in one of the spare bedrooms.

So yesterday, we were having dinner when my sister told me she just hit 3k followers. She seemed so happy. I congratulated her. She was then talking about how passionate she was to become an influencer. But then my wife interrupted her saying, "It's nice to have passions. But passions don't pay the bills, honey. And let's get real here that silly little dream of yours will probably never work out."

My sister was heartbroken and she went to her room crying. I went after her and told her my wife didn't mean anything she said, she was just stressed out. I told her I have faith in her that she will achieve her dreams one day. After she was alright I went to my wife and told her that was extremely mean she owes my sister an apology. But she called me a fool for supporting that silly little dream of her that will never work out. Now she's giving me the silent treatment and making me feel like an AH.

So my question is AITA for this? Thanks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

So am I reading this correctly and the sister has no job?

Yeah the wife can see the writing on the wall where the OP is planning to let his sister live there more or less rent free in perpetuity.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

"What? People just save their communications so they can prove I hosed them over?

When uh... When did this start?" :ohdear:
When he started working with people who aren't the mafia.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

Soylent Pudding posted:

There's such a very clear middle ground here. It's not that hard to be supportive while also having an honest talk with your sister about the reality of how difficult it is to make a living that way. You aren't doing your sis any favors by not helping her to make a back up plan in the likelyhood that she can't make this work.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shes already not making it work. 3k followers is pack your poo poo in your done you didn't even do the basic legwork to pay for fake accounts to boost you.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, but it's hard to talk to a lovely person about why they're lovely. The fundamental problem is not that being a successful vlogger is hard, but that "I want to make a living doing absolutely nothing" isn't a life goal. People like this are why I hate the word "dream."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Barudak posted:

Shes already not making it work. 3k followers is pack your poo poo in your done you didn't even do the basic legwork to pay for fake accounts to boost you.
That said I'm not exactly sympathetic to the person wanting to throw out another person's cats. Sister needs a day job, wife is being cruel, OP is playing 'woe is me caught in the middle' while addressing neither of these things properly.