Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

loving :lol: at Roman and Jerry's antics in season 2 of Succession :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

loving :lol: at Roman and Jerry's antics in season 2 of Succession :stare:

What makes it even funnier is that apparently Kieran Culkin and J. Smith-Cameron are close friends in real life, meaning the writers looked at their chemistry and decided to exploit it like THAT.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

What makes it even funnier is that apparently Kieran Culkin and J. Smith-Cameron are close friends in real life, meaning the writers looked at their chemistry and decided to exploit it like THAT.

Hahahah I didn’t know that, that’s brilliant

Murderville is an absolute blast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

That's fantastic, they really are incredible in all their scenes together. Kieran Culkin does WAAAAY too good a job of playing an absolutely abominable person.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh my god, the American Auto scene with the janitor? Holy poo poo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh my god, the American Auto scene with the janitor? Holy poo poo.

I kinda hope that shows up again later in the season. Like he took a picture of the board or something

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The first three episodes of Pam And Tommy were fantastic, one of the best shows I've seen in a while. Incredible performance from Sebastian Stan, a real departure from his pretty staid turns in the MCU. And it is absolutely bonkers that here in the UK a show featuring a large prosthetic talking penis is being shown on - and heavily promoted for Disney+.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Khanstant posted:

Leftovers has me so excited for a dude to do some healing dog herd murders, everyone needs to get all the way off his back about it. Everyone was right actually

I was giving them poo poo about the 2% lowball before but they are doing so much more with 2% than disney did with 50.

The way I thought about it, 2% sounds like a small number but in real life, less than 1% of the US population has died of covid, but just about everyone knows personally someone that died. So even with just 2% of the population gone, no one is unscathed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also it’s just such a gigantic mystery, such a huge strange unsolved thing. That alone would drive a ton of people loving insane

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Just finished Murderville, it was fun! Sharon Stone killed it; easily the highlight of the season. Really great job at playing things straight while still coming up with her own quips and giving her character a personality. Shame she's bad at detective work. Meanwhile I'm not sure Annie Murphy has even heard of "yes, and", lmao

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Tequila25 posted:

The way I thought about it, 2% sounds like a small number but in real life, less than 1% of the US population has died of covid, but just about everyone knows personally someone that died. So even with just 2% of the population gone, no one is unscathed.

Yeah, while I have no direct family members that have died, I know of at least 7 deaths that are one degree of association away from me (two of which were under 45 with no pre-exiting conditions.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone I was extremely close to hung himself due to long term covid effects. Antivaxxers can all die for all I care anymore.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I forget who said it in which thread, but someone made the great observation that Station Eleven and The Leftovers are good mirrors of each other. One where a fraction of the population vanished, one where a fraction of the population survived. Especially given Patrick Somerville's involvement in both shows, and one of the plot points from Leftovers S3.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5EV2I8Ps7Y

I thought they cancelled all the Joe Exotic related projects. I guess not.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://deadline.com/2022/02/the-riftwar-cycle-fantasy-books-television-writers-hannah-friedman-jacob-pinion-nick-bernardone-1234923198/

Be interesting to see if this ends up going anywhere, always been a fan of Riftwar.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Escobarbarian posted:

Murderville is an absolute blast.

I'm still in the first episode and it's already great. The little girl tries her hardest to get in a routine where he scrambles to spare her from the truth. But he's just having none of that and dishes out the hard truths!
"Well, the lady can't go back together, because what happened is the magician really sawed her in half, cut through skin, ligament, muscle, bone.
She had instantaneous, probably 90% blood loss and then she went into that black void known as death. Where there is no return. She's gone. Gone forever. She's dead! She's so dead!"
"Yeah, I know. That's what grown-ups call a lie.

I guess he sort of has a modicum of experience with improv.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tequila25 posted:

Full disclosure, ain't personally know anyone who died from it and in general nearly all of the people I love yet live so whatever lessons of humanity are learned through the suffering and grief of loss of a loved one are character growths moments I have fortunately been able to avoid thus far. I've also never experienced a rapture besides the one in Left Behind which helped rapture away my faith. When I see 2% I see it as somewhat worse than covid, but faster/cleaner/safer. I totally buy the gun nuts cults as a reaction or as not a reaction, just a natural progression for that type of fearbased loser idealogy. I think the bullseye hippies make sense from what little I know just seem like the same people who'd be going barefoot wearing hemp hoodies vibe with or without event. Guy making money from selling low quality sillyputty-faced realdolls of disappeared people - totally makes sense, I think this would be the predominant reaction, capitalizing on it all.

And I was about to say I still don't get the american spirits gang, but I was just about to write that if 2% of people disappeared today, by the end of the day I'd probably be a bit tired of talking about it, a year later I'd be making 9/11 jokes about it, two years later im rolling my eyes at those jokes, three years later I'm just tired of it, it's over, we evidently have no way to gather further evidence regarding the matter and all intuitive insights lead to madness so let's shut the gently caress up about it and see if this new Elder Scrolls will be good now that Todd Howard is poofed. So I would absolutely be the kind of person the kool gang would target.

In any case, the 2% figure isn't important, just kind of a mismatch of cynicism towards humanity I guess, same as this not being a police state (although the conversation where colin ferrel's not-evil twin is told by the ATF he can just ask them to casually send over a squad of killers to just mass murder the cultists implies there is a grander police state going on, just bizarrely this town specifically likes to keep things a little more Andy Griffith Show.

The show is really selling all of this, besides how much I've typed about the 2%

Wayne has turned out to be exactly as creepy as you expected all along but I'm starting to think these aren't magic babies at all.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
my buddy was looking for de-specialized copies of a star war and found this pathetic thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comments/sip60k/wheel_of_time_nonwoke_fan_edit/

A non-woke edit of Wheel of Time. I haven't seen it yet but considering how sensitive some of these chuds are wouldn't this just be a reel of action and cgi sequences, none of the parts where anyone talks since it's all politics?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Chuds are pissed off about Star Trek being too woke

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Khanstant posted:

my buddy was looking for de-specialized copies of a star war and found this pathetic thing: https://www.reddit.com/r/fanedits/comments/sip60k/wheel_of_time_nonwoke_fan_edit/

A non-woke edit of Wheel of Time. I haven't seen it yet but considering how sensitive some of these chuds are wouldn't this just be a reel of action and cgi sequences, none of the parts where anyone talks since it's all politics?

I only read a chunk of the first book, but isn't the setting not actually very progressive at all? Like, a major plot point/setting contrivance is biological gender-essentialism via magic.

It's chuds so it's not like they actually make sense, but they really will find anything to be mad about.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm still in the first episode and it's already great. The little girl tries her hardest to get in a routine where he scrambles to spare her from the truth. But he's just having none of that and dishes out the hard truths!
"Well, the lady can't go back together, because what happened is the magician really sawed her in half, cut through skin, ligament, muscle, bone.
She had instantaneous, probably 90% blood loss and then she went into that black void known as death. Where there is no return. She's gone. Gone forever. She's dead! She's so dead!"
"Yeah, I know. That's what grown-ups call a lie.

I guess he sort of has a modicum of experience with improv.

Turns out this exact scene is also on youtube :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byUHkrl-2sI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Xiahou Dun posted:

I only read a chunk of the first book, but isn't the setting not actually very progressive at all? Like, a major plot point/setting contrivance is biological gender-essentialism via magic.

It's chuds so it's not like they actually make sense, but they really will find anything to be mad about.

Yeah. My less-than-charitable reading of the premise is as an extended rape analogy and defense of rape culture: Men broke the world, so now we live in Topsy Turvy Land where eternally bickering women have all the power and emasculate all men with agency because of their Original Sin. In the following 14 books I will

Some people manage to read the books as a huge power-tripping celebration of a Great Man with Dragon Tattoos taking back his rightful place as god-emperor-pope, despite the books being about how he goes mad in the process and nearly destroys everything important to him.

Anyway a "non-woke" version of the TV show is probably where they remove all the characters who were cast as POCs

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay episode 10 and these people are way over reacting to this epic prank the gang pulled.

well goddamn, the baby really was the bridge.

edit: oh there's more than 1 season. That almost felt like it coulda been the end lol. I'll let season 1 marinate before starting the next. Good show, even though there weren't any supernatural monsters and that's on me for expecting one.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 3, 2022

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Khanstant posted:

Okay episode 10 and these people are way over reacting to this epic prank the gang pulled.
I always thought this underlined the real purpose of the Guilty Remnant: They wanted to die but were unwilling to kill themselves. It's never spelled out in the text though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah or from another perspective they are already dead, the event/grief broke them entirely and their continued existence-suffering makes them want to punish the rest of the world, why don't they all feel this bad what the gently caress. I've felt that way in my life just in depresseder periods, everyone saying to not kill yourself, but you don't want to live, and you act out sometimes irrationally like, what the gently caress are you so happy about dont you see existence is a dumb mean joke?

I do have some questions I wonder if they are going to answer in seasons to come. Like what did copdad wish to alan johnson? Is this a huge newborn or do I accept that infants aren't fit to work in television? The dogs are probably responsible for the Incident but what do they want?! WIll anyone notice a fucknig elf living among them? Do schools really electrify children for a science play experiment or was that a conceit specifically for this universe? Will there be an Arrival event where everyone shows back up as battle-hardened warriors having survived several decades in some kind of pocket universe who have long healed from their trauma and replaced it with an unending and justified paranoia about preparing the rest of the world for the cross-dimensional threat to come?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Season 2 is when it gets good

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

One major thing I loved about The Leftovers was each theme's approach to faith/the supernatural:

Season One: Could go either way.

Season Two: Magic poo poo is definitely happening, it's all real.

Season Three: Nope, no magic, it was all in your imagination.

But then at the very end, a final thought: maybe the best thing we can do for the ones we love is to trust them unconditionally, even if that belief is irrational.
The one last shot of the birds coming back was perfect, too.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pam and Tommy is insane

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

edit: oh there's more than 1 season. That almost felt like it coulda been the end lol.

Season 1 is an adaptation of the book, whereas 2 and 3 are all-new. But yeah 1 is my least favourite season, I came around on it eventually but 2 and 3 are that good good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Didn't look at the future spoilers but exciting to look forward to. I had already resigned myself to them not exploring or explaining lots of things I didn't ask about just b/c I figured it was an answerless thing. But as always I like when something that could be explained as grief/trauma dealing turns out to have real magic involved. Unless it's something with magic involved with a mundane explanation left unexplored.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

a new study bible! posted:

Pam and Tommy is insane

In the second episode Tommy Lee has a conversation with his flaccid penis where he discusses marrying Pamela Anderson. His penis bends upward to look him in the face, and his urethra opens and closes like a mouth while it says "we gotta keep the pussy train rolling!"

I didn't know it was done by the I, Tonya man, but there were immediate and clear connections to the move. Very entertaining shlock so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol it really is impressive how much more compelling Book of Boba Fett is when it's being Mandalorian Season 2.5 instead of what it usually is. They really struck gold with that story and characters.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wish Book of Boba Fett had chosen to stick with either telling his past immediately post RotJ or just continuing on with the fallout post killing Bib Fortuna, the mix of the two really hasn't helped much with his storyline or character development, and I've largely preferred the former to the latter so far.

Agreed that the last two episodes mostly being Mandalorian 2.5 have been way more compelling, which is sad because I was so glad Temuera Morrison got a chance to make something more of his role in Star Wars, and I would like to see some grumpy old man Clone Troopers if that comes up as a possibility in future episodes/stories.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

I wish Book of Boba Fett had chosen to stick with either telling his past immediately post RotJ or just continuing on with the fallout post killing Bib Fortuna, the mix of the two really hasn't helped much with his storyline or character development, and I've largely preferred the former to the latter so far.

Agreed that the last two episodes mostly being Mandalorian 2.5 have been way more compelling, which is sad because I was so glad Temuera Morrison got a chance to make something more of his role in Star Wars, and I would like to see some grumpy old man Clone Troopers if that comes up as a possibility in future episodes/stories.

Yeah, I really loved all the Boba of Arabia stuff but the “present day” bits have been completely forgettable and the show is now completely off the loving rails as Mando Season 2.5, which is a shame.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good timing, I just finished Mando S2 minutes ago and oh look, a setup for this Book of Boba Fett thing that ... up till now I was going to skip?

Should I not then?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

In the second episode Tommy Lee has a conversation with his flaccid penis where he discusses marrying Pamela Anderson. His penis bends upward to look him in the face, and his urethra opens and closes like a mouth while it says "we gotta keep the pussy train rolling!"

lmao is this real and is this the only weird thing or is it all fuckin bizarre?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Good timing, I just finished Mando S2 minutes ago and oh look, a setup for this Book of Boba Fett thing that ... up till now I was going to skip?

Should I not then?

Episode 5 and 6 of Book of Boba Fett are Mando Episodes. A person who has not watched Mando S1 and 2 will have no idea what's going on in them, and Boba Fett has next to no presence in them. They also require no knowledge of eps 1-4 of Boba Fett to understand. You should watch them, and only them unless you find Fett's two lines in episode 6 very compelling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Should I not then?

If you don’t care about Boba at all you could literally just watch episodes 5 and 6 for the Mando season 2.5 stuff. And maybe next week’s finale but obv we don’t know yet

Khanstant posted:

lmao is this real and is this the only weird thing or is it all fuckin bizarre?

It’s real and it’s a weird show but nothing else is weird in that way so far. It’s mostly American Crime Story-esque imo

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s real and it’s a weird show but nothing else is weird in that way so far. It’s mostly American Crime Story-esque imo

It's like American Crime Story, but it also is well aware of its own stupidity. In the latest season of American Crime Story, Sarah Paulson seemed to be the only actor having fun with the role (which makes sense, I suppose).

It seems like it's going to track closely to I, Tonya. Lots of stupid people crime antics.

Also every absurd scene seems to tee up a 90s banger to smash into. Saving the third episode for tomorrow but it's goofy fun.

a new study bible! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Turns out this exact scene is also on youtube :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byUHkrl-2sI

I have so much respect for that child actress. She didn't even break character a bit, even though you can clearly tell that this conversation went different from what people told her.
Unlike Ken Jeong in the finale, who was completely overwhelmed by the absurdity and was always laughing.
Annie Murphy was cool too. I'm lookin forward to season 2 of Kevin can gently caress Himself. Maybe I should have added that show into my 2021 list, but it's to late to change now.