Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cessna posted:

Isn't a central theme of the movies "pregnancy is awful?"

The Xenomorph is definitely a rape metaphor, but what sets it apart from some horeshit like KD is that it's not exclusively targeting women or other disempowered individuals, everyone is a potential victim.

Just to bring this back to minis, here are some very happy pig-people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Alien, in the original movie starts life as a vagina that impregnates a man who gives birth to a penis.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Giger is a master of subtlety compared to Kingdom Death

very :nws: minis

it also bothers me that they do have some legit good minis, but it's just buried in all the other poo poo. Stuff like the Smoke Knight is great.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Winklebottom posted:

it also bothers me that they do have some legit good minis, but it's just buried in all the other poo poo. Stuff like the Smoke Knight is great.

Sir Snoop of Dogg

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's just Smough on fire

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Panfilo posted:

I see. Not trying to rationalize the overpriced creepy dick monster figurines or anything. But the closest association I got was Geigers xenomorph and the sexual and grotesque imagery associated with it.

HR Giger based his art on his night terrors, not his wet dreams. That's what KD did.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Winklebottom posted:

Giger is a master of subtlety compared to Kingdom Death

very :nws: minis

More like Titties of Death.

What's that last one even doing? Just out for a naked stroll in the night air? Sure hope she doesn't bump into whatever the hell that thing is in the first picture.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

AndyElusive posted:

Sure hope she doesn't bump into whatever the hell that thing is in the first picture.

Well clearly you're not a KD fan, since her bumping into it is kind of the desired outcome.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I didn't want to drag out the conversation when KDM came up again in the board game thread recently, but the specific topic here is a little more pertinent. I think KDM exemplifies everything wrong with superficial and lovely board game design, and the aesthetics are such a huge part of that. It's basically copying the idea of mature or grotesque styling of things and dark, unsettling themes but with nothing behind it. It fancies likening itself to stuff like Dark Souls, but I believe it was in a Dark Souls interview the concept of retaining "dignity" was brought up with those types of design and I feel that's a good succinct way of phrasing it. You don't just throw out nasty poo poo for shock value while rubbing your chin and pretending you're a big mature adult for appreciating such heavy themes. KDM is just tits and dicks and dark imagery with no cohesive vision, and it's pretty silly to compare such a simple minded presentation of things to other media that is actually trying to convey something. It's technical competence combined with the mentality of an edgy teenager doodling poo poo in the margin of their notebook who is desperately wanting to make something grandiose.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

More like Titties of Death.

What's that last one even doing? Just out for a naked stroll in the night air? Sure hope she doesn't bump into whatever the hell that thing is in the first picture.

I played the game once and that's literally how your characters start, naked in the dark with a lantern.
Everything else people have been saying about the game is pretty spot on. Kitchen sink design that's actively antagonistic towards the players.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Is that your son

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

wanna pinch those chubby lil' cheeks

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

The Xenomorph is definitely a rape metaphor, but what sets it apart from some horeshit like KD is that it's not exclusively targeting women or other disempowered individuals, everyone is a potential victim.

Just to bring this back to minis, here are some very happy pig-people.

gimmie tha link mfer

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Honestly skullbot rules. Gimmie those Armorcast vibes!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I can't hate this.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Me when I hit my toe on the corner of my bed

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

smug jeebus posted:

Is that your son

Yes

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Judge that skull.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Judge that skull.

Jusgement: fat

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

"I am Death incarnate..."

"I howl my rage at the moon..."

"and that, diary, is how I spent my last week. <3 mech pilot "

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

Was friends with a person that was a designer for a skirmish game from a small company.

They went with a new manufacturer for their models and it happened to be the same manufacturer that makes Kingdom Death.

How it works is the manufacturer takes either a copy of a sculpt and/or a 3d scan and slices the model while also adding notches/pegs to assemble it back together after cast.

It seems they have been working with Kingdom Death so much, they thought to keep the little details as separate as possible.

My friend's company got back a new model that has a tiny pointed beard like you see in Big Trouble in Little Tokyo and the piece was cast by itself and not attached to the chin. The size of it was literally just the beard the size of a comma in a book. People thought the beard was a piece of sprue.

Turns out they did this because they got complaints of not enough detail in the tiny penises and Kingdom Death wanted that stuff separate.

My friend's company had to go back and say something of the lines of "We are not looking for that level of quality"

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 5, 2022

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Yan Lo's Beard would be a pro-level user name.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

EVIL Gibson posted:

"I am Death incarnate..."

"I howl my rage at the moon..."

"and that, diary, is how I spent my last week. <3 mech pilot "

:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

Was friends with a person that was a designer for a skirmish game from a small company.

They went with a new manufacturer for their models and it happened to be the same manufacturer that makes Kingdom Death.

How it works is the manufacturer takes either a copy of a sculpt and/or a 3d scan and slices the model while also adding notches/pegs to assemble it back together after cast.

It seems they have been working with Kingdom Death so much, they thought to keep the little details as separate as possible.

My friend's company got back a new model that has a tiny pointed beard like you see in Big Trouble in Little Tokyo and the piece was cast by itself and not attached to the chin. The size of it was literally just the beard the size of a comma in a book. People thought the beard was a piece of sprue.

Turns out they did this because they got complaints of not enough detail in the tiny penises and Kingdom Death wanted that stuff separate.

My friend's company had to go back and say something of the lines of "We are not looking for that level of quality"

I wish more companies would take the time to say "no, our average customer does not want to deal with that insanity, let's find a middle ground".

Star Wars Legion battle droids having two part heads is another example. I refuse to believe that was necessary.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Miniatures Unspiration: complaints of not enough detail in the tiny penises

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Aranan posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Aranan posted:

This.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

What kind of glue should I use on my tiny penis?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

What kind of glue should I use on my tiny penis?

Hot glue onviously

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Two part ecoxy

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Caulk.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ugleb posted:

I wish more companies would take the time to say "no, our average customer does not want to deal with that insanity, let's find a middle ground".

Star Wars Legion battle droids having two part heads is another example. I refuse to believe that was necessary.

the model industry is already in rough shape. find a way to make them business and then you can cancel Kingdom Death.

turns out it's hard to pass up the money from horny people :shrug:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I think their complaint was just the company applying that level of detail to markets where it is a nuisance, not that they make KD figures in general.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Voyager I posted:

I think their complaint was just the company applying that level of detail to markets where it is a nuisance, not that they make KD figures in general.

Yup, I said some minis are over complicated for no reason and gave an example of a non-KD mini. :shrug:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Yup, I said some minis are over complicated for no reason and gave an example of a non-KD mini. :shrug:

Fu Manchu goatee mini sounds like Malifaux.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Eediot Jedi posted:

my tiny penis?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Judge that skull.

11/10

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Now judge the rest of the skulls.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They're good skulls Brent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

Ugleb posted:

It is basically an MMO approach to boardgaming. Kill monster for loot drop, craft items, kill same monster again because you didn't get the materials you needed. Fight tougher monster or get screwed by bad draws, lose entire party and their gear, repeat lower level monster hunts to build back up.

This is the first I’ve heard about the actual gameplay/campaign of KDM, but this sounds like a death sentence for interest in a campaign . This is basically the same gameplay reward loop as a Monster Hunter video game, but with perma-death… which is great when you have no idea what any of the bosses do the first time you fight them. I swear, if I ever played a scenario where after battling a tough boss, not only does failure mean you wasted a bunch of time for no reward, but you lost all progress up to that point as well, I would light that game on fire.