Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

skipdogg posted:

If you have another car as a backup it could be fun. When they are not broken the Alfa Quadrifoglio's are supposedly a blast, but key words are "when they are not broken".

Hmm this is going to be a problem our other car is a Fiat 124 Spider Abarth and it's not leaving the garage until the salt poo poo is rinsed off the roads sometime in uh June

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they will probably give you a loaner when it's broken.

i will set the over under on number of loaner days per year at 11.5

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Do they break or do they have tons of software and electronics bugs that will probably never be fixed?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
There is no look of regret quite like an Alfa owner looking at his car from the sidewalk waiting for a tow truck.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

There is no look of regret quite like an Alfa owner looking at his car from the sidewalk waiting for a tow truck.

Coupled with the dread of knowing they’ll be doing the same thing again next week.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

Coupled with the dread of knowing they’ll be doing the same thing again next week.

Do tow companies offer frequent flier dragger miles? An Alfa owner would be Diamond Elite status in no time.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Russian Bear posted:

I'll never forgive Honda for not bringing the new hybrid Fit to the US. :sigh:

Definitely the lack of a solid entry for that class of car I think is a huge loving mistake, the auto loan bubble with 50k starting price bullshit is gonna end sooner than later

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
I did some digging and reading and apparently the Stelvio and even the Quad are really reliable and don't have any major issues. The biggest one is on the quads they had battery issues from the owners not driving them enough.
Idk the car market right now is stupid, I really want the Bronco but I miss having power, but we need this vehicle to do everything like winter duty, pulling a small utility trailer and loading up the wife's small business stuff for shows all over the place.

I'll probably keep driving the boring Crosstrek until the bronco is actually built and figure it out then lol.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LS swap the crosstrek.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

LS swap the crosstrek.

this guy knows

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BrownieVK posted:

I did some digging and reading and apparently the Stelvio and even the Quad are really reliable and don't have any major issues. The biggest one is on the quads they had battery issues from the owners not driving them enough.
Idk the car market right now is stupid, I really want the Bronco but I miss having power, but we need this vehicle to do everything like winter duty, pulling a small utility trailer and loading up the wife's small business stuff for shows all over the place.

I'll probably keep driving the boring Crosstrek until the bronco is actually built and figure it out then lol.

Car and driver had a brand new one for 14 months, and it was at the dealer broken for almost 3 whole months across many separate breakdowns. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

to be fair that was the Giulia which uh, shares most of its platform components with Stelvio

hmm

well uh they probably worked out SOME of the bugs since MY1

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

maybe they were just unlucky or had recently angered a vengeful imp of some sort.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

rip big serge

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Are those Alfas the ones with brake by wire? Putting your life in the hands of Italian electronics seems unwise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sanchez posted:

Are those Alfas the ones with brake by wire? Putting your life in the hands of Italian electronics seems unwise.

brake by wire is fine

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Russian Bear posted:

LS swap the crosstrek.

There's a company that does 2.0FA and are working on 2.4 FA turbo swaps....
I should check into it. Blasting by people in this fruity light blue Crosstrek would be amazing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
When I think of even moderately reliable vehicles neither Alfa or first year Fords come to mind

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fix It Again Tony!

Heh gottem

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BrownieVK posted:

I'd rather walk than drive a Stelvio again. What a horrid grip pig - straight out my go to example when questioning wether motoring journalists actually have any understanding what handling and vehicle dynamics actually are.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I’ve had a Giulia QV for 2 months now. Don’t be such babies.

Here’s the trick: They’re eligible for extended factory warranties through mopar. There are plenty of online Chrysler dealers that provide online quotes. I can extend my 2018 through 2026 for $2700.

It has so much character and has been a great experience thus far. It’s my first automatic as well. I came from an E90 M3 so I have no expectation that my cars are perfectly reliable (though the M3 was quite good in that regard).

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

How are stelvio quadrifoglio's price wise?
Last year I tried to find a new one near me and struck out. Wasn't sure if used examples were insane due to the market, or if people were scared of the possible repair costs and steered clear, making them not as bad.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Franco Caution posted:

How are stelvio quadrifoglio's price wise?
Last year I tried to find a new one near me and struck out. Wasn't sure if used examples were insane due to the market, or if people were scared of the possible repair costs and steered clear, making them not as bad.

The market still sucks but I've seen 2018-2019 ones with 20-40k miles for mid to high $50,000 range. I'm sure in the "before" times you could get one even cheaper.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'd rather walk than drive a Stelvio again. What a horrid grip pig - straight out my go to example when questioning wether motoring journalists actually have any understanding what handling and vehicle dynamics actually are.

What was so bad about the handling? Everything I have seen about the QV trim specifically is nothing but great, it's supposed to be one of the best things about it is how sharp the handling is.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Russian Bear posted:

LS swap the crosstrek.
I'd love a cheap Crosstrek if it just had a halfway decent amount of power. Wife has an outback and it's been problem free for us since day 1.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm still kicking myself that I missed out on leasing a Giulia pre-covid when they were writing just about any deal to get them off the lot.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's a grip pig?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Where do you even put the front license plate on this thing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the OEM bracket is offset on I think the drivers side on the bumper below the headlight

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

davecrazy posted:

On your dashboard in the window :colbert:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So what does "Ferrari derived engine" mean, really when it comes to AlfaRomeo? The blocks forged in the same factory in Italy or something?

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davecrazy posted:

So what does "Ferrari derived engine" mean, really when it comes to AlphaRomeo? The blocks forged in the same factory in Italy or something?

It means you need to do a full engine out service every 5 years that costs as much as motorcycle.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

davecrazy posted:

So what does "Ferrari derived engine" mean, really when it comes to AlphaRomeo? The blocks forged in the same factory in Italy or something?

Rumor is the engine was basically entirely designed by Ferrari and the Stelvio Quad was going to be a Ferrari SUV lol no idea if this is true or not.

Newer Italian stuff isn't like the old days guys..
Just ask my Moto Guzzi thats been broken since the day I got it.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I've driven a few Alfas and Fiats over the years during trips to Italy to see family. Never had a bad experience with one and they were fun to drive but I didn't have to live with it either.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 3, 2022

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davecrazy posted:

Same place as all the other Alfas with the larger grille...

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Someone should tell the governor of Texas that some people will pay extra to get a Euro-size license plate. That's the state with like a million custom license plate print designs, right?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

You throw it in the trash*

*Offer applies only to white people

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

davecrazy posted:

IIRC, the Alfa V6 is derived from the Ferrari F154 V8 and is built somewhere in Italy. The V6 has a nearly identical bore / stroke and displacement (per cylinder) as the V8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

davecrazy posted:

They took the F154 BB engine from the California T (F154 BB 3.9L V8), lopped off two cylinders, and cranked the boost. The measurements and specifications between the two engines are remarkably similar.

And yes, it requires engine out belt replacements every 40k miles. Enterprising mechanics have figured out how to do it with just the front bumper off.

efb