Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Crazy theory: It’s a giant Medusa/pile of Medusas and all the Medusas have AI in them that “awaken” while in a vacuum

Alternatively the manga goes back to the Earth crew as the radio cuts out before they can hear who it is and we don’t find out the answer for 10+ chapters as they make a rescue mission.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

It was the author the whole time. They inserted themselves into the story for fun.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's a theory on reddit that it's Francois/Nanami Corp: https://www.reddit.com/r/DrStone/comments/sgkvhu/its_been_obvious_all_along_whowhat_has_the_means/

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
A corporate logo would make sense as something that'd be immediately obvious to the revived characters. Branding the secret moonbase sounds exactly like something Ryusui would do so it's not a big stretch that his parents did the same.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Oh my god the butler did it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Evil Nikola Tesla

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Given that Ryusui is in space with them and we've been getting more info on his family as the series goes on, I admit it wouldn't be a leap for his family to be involved.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yeah this would probably be the most satisfying answer out of all the theories I've seen since it's actually predictable. It doesn't explain why Whyman is still active and trying to petrify everyone but I'm sure that'll be explained. It also justifies Sai joining the cast and Ryusui going to space. A less likely theory is also that Francois could very well be a cyborg of some kind given their insane skills and stamina

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Insane skill and stamina isn't that outlandish among the cast.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They’re all cyborgs

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

They’re all cyborgs

All of them except Taiju. He's just... weird.

It kind of freaks everyone else out.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That is an interesting theory and somewhat plausible at least. It also adds extra weight to Ryuusei stowing away on board.
But it's also something of an insanely convoluted plan.

chiasaur11 posted:

All of them except Taiju. He's just... weird.

It kind of freaks everyone else out.

Taiju is secretly a Nanami corp robot, that's why he was the lead.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sybot posted:

A corporate logo would make sense as something that'd be immediately obvious to the revived characters. Branding the secret moonbase sounds exactly like something Ryusui would do so it's not a big stretch that his parents did the same.

drat, I bet that's it. That answers why only the revived people recognize it, and it explains how someone could have the tech to get Why-man (probably an A.I.) to the moon and develop Medusas. Closer than we thought could definitely be a Ryusui reference. And that adds plenty of extra tension with Ryusui up there in the spacecraft, especially if he has a surprise villain turn and turns out to be the final baddie of the manga.

Here's hoping that however the endgame shakes out, it ends up being a satisfying finale.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So there are spoilers out and all I will say is no one correctly predicted the answer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RatHat posted:

So there are spoilers out and all I will say is no one correctly predicted the answer

Hell yes, I can't wait for Sunday. Not going to spoil myself but (more) excited now

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Must…resist…temptation

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

It's so good.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RatHat posted:

You can't just say that and not post them in spoiler text of course.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's [spoiler]every character who has ever been stuck on the moon Monster Carrot, Enel, Mega Man...[/spoilers]

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that's dumb.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The official translation is out and, hoo boy!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So it was aliens all along huh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=228. Life Stone.

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012739
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-228/chapter/23947?action=read

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oh, gently caress off. Booooo. BOOOOOO!

"Aliens all along" is probably the most boring answer they could've come up with, especially since it doesn't fit the overall theming of the manga. So far, everything has been about humans, and how they react to an existential threat and keep fighting back and going forward. So having the enemy be revealed as some unknowable alien hive mind is just bad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I did not see this coming and I’m uncertain how I feel about this.

But we don’t know for certain they’re aliens yet? They didn’t confirm it yet.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Eh, it makes sense that it wouldn't be humans, honestly. Humans having magic incomprehensible technology that Senku can't even understand would kinda go against the nature of the whole "anyone can do science!" theme.

I feel like it wouldn't be so frustrating if the medusas' plan wasn't so utterly ridiculous. Having the aliens misunderstand human cultures and values is a time-honored trope, and it makes sense that the series wouldn't want an actually-evil hard antagonist that honestly hates humans. But there's a LOT of missing steps between "render all of humanity indefinitely immobile for thousands of years, without any guarantee that any of them will ever regain the ability to move" and "therefore humans will make batteries for us, giving us eternal life".

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well this certainly explains why no one detected them if they were on the moon before the patri-beam: Medusa are invisible to anything except sight
I guess the big question now is how long were they there? I guess they settled there sometime between the Apollo missions and modern times since the astronauts certainly would’ve noticed a bit black splotch on the moon.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Next chapter looks like a big exposition, so you'll get your answers then.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm kind of down with this. Weird mechanical parasites are an interesting idea, and being alien tech kind of lines up with the levle of super science that no one can understand about them. i'm really interested in the info dump

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Boooooooo, where's the anime tiddy cellphone powered cyborg girl that Senku was supposed to marry?????

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 6, 2022

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
She's gonna marry the petrification devices now - this was a story about AI true love the whole time.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The fact that they were aliens is fine. The fact that they can speak English and Japanese is fine. They would have had plenty of time to study up on human concepts. That does not excuse petrifying the globe. They better have a drat good reason that doesn't rely on a misunderstanding. Something like "we we're gonna undo it later once X Y and Z happened."

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

...Huh.

Yeah gimme that lore dump please!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Speculation of the upcoming exposition With the gift of immortality(ish) the rings grant humanity there would be essentially infinite chances for the right circumstances to unfold giving the devices whatever they want. Or something? Also Senku hates exposition and will skip it for us.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm... not sure where you guys are getting the "aliens" thing from.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It has to either be alien, or not alien, and it has been reiterated many times over the series that the Medusae and the effect they cause is not explainable or creatable by "modern" technology. It always HAD to be either Aliens or bleeding edge super-science (likely supplied by AI or aliens)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

I'm... not sure where you guys are getting the "aliens" thing from.

They are a race of symbiotic super-beings who appeared suddenly one day. If they're not aliens then they're time travelers or something similarly ridiculous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They are a race of symbiotic super-beings who appeared suddenly one day. If they're not aliens then they're time travelers or something similarly ridiculous.

They're on the moon. They're obviously werewolves.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm guessing they're an evolved form of AI that was given the job of protecting humanity and used petrification to achieve that goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

They were built by the swallows and then turned against their masters. It's bird tech.