Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

someone I went my entire life without realizing Rayearth was magical girl mechs, instead of just magical girls
its magical girl mech isekai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
its funny how rayearth is so filled that it gets slow but consistent pull in rec convos through the years like "what are some mecha with girl protags" "what are other dark magical girl shows like madoka" and "what are other isekai with girls"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Shinjobi posted:

I liked Nadesico but boy that movie did nothing for me

well, it did in fact kill the entire franchise's forward momentum

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Isekawaii

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rayearth has a dude named EAGLE VISION in it, and I don't think that's even the coolest name in the show. Show's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Rayearth has a dude named EAGLE VISION in it, and I don't think that's even the coolest name in the show. Show's good.
and his best friend geo metro.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
is the second season of rayearth as good as the first?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the middle chunk is slow and meandering and has a bit of a drop in animation quality and an increase in dull recap episodes, and the romance stuff all feels really paper thin and in some cases just thrusted in out of literally nowhere with no development or noteworthy growth, but the beginning and end are cool and really stand out aesthetically and the new characters are pretty fun. nova's introduction is one of the best moments in either season

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1488991191987363853?s=20&t=Xadp2H-D7Rst05dPNuHWyg

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what the, but thats the inspiration for the anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

finally somebody does it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the rayearth s2 thing i am sad about is that there are, like a dozen video games adapting s1, but literally none that adapt s2 other than recent srw games. a rayearth s2 video game would be sick.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it's good 6/10

thats a d though

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

tbh the rayearth s2 thing i am sad about is that there are, like a dozen video games adapting s1, but literally none that adapt s2 other than recent srw games. a rayearth s2 video game would be sick.

Fair. :agreed: 100%

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

thats a d though

if it was a d i would've said that

6/10
3 out of 5 stars
etc

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i've made a huge mistake
i started watching the latest final season of attack on titan and i just don't have it in myself to not binge what's already out
gently caress

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's a four.........out of five

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you have to anyway because of what happened last week

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch Escaflowne

God, Escaflowne is so good. I should rewatch it, but I'm currently in the process of watching/rewatching too many things.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This extremely illegal pirated download of FlipFlappers keeps changing whether the subtitle tracks are correctly labeled or if the ones labeled "full" and "signs/songs" are backwards

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NATURE of PISS sounds like a rejected track from Metal Gear Revengeance

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FlipFlappers is definitely the weirdest show in my anime renaissance. It has a sort of energy that feels a lot like the Cartoon Network shows I watched as a kid. Like each episode just has an insane concept that's only moderately connected to the overall premise. And then sometimes the animators will just be like "what if her rabbit was a green blob with ears that crawled like a slug and was named Uexküll"

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If there's subset of entertainment that relies on a show simply existing for the appeal of its wackiness factor, rather than some quasi-deep underlying theme that begs to be overanalyzed ad nauseam, FF would smack right in the middle of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I found out that the book Megumi Hayashibara wrote about her career was translated last year so I bought it and it is the most baffling ebook I have ever looked at because every page is an image. Makes me wonder if it was a specific licensing demand to include a foolish anti-piracy attempt that kneecaps the ebook quality because I've bought ebooks from Yen Press before and it was always perfectly fine until now.

At any rate it makes it practically unreadable on my kindle, welp!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Srice posted:

I found out that the book Megumi Hayashibara wrote about her career was translated last year so I bought it and it is the most baffling ebook I have ever looked at because every page is an image. Makes me wonder if it was a specific licensing demand to include a foolish anti-piracy attempt that kneecaps the ebook quality because I've bought ebooks from Yen Press before and it was always perfectly fine until now.

At any rate it makes it practically unreadable on my kindle, welp!

Lol, was there not a preview option? Even as a casual filthy dub watcher i kinda wanna read that book, is it well translated at least?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, was there not a preview option? Even as a casual filthy dub watcher i kinda wanna read that book, is it well translated at least?

There's no preview option but when it comes to ebooks amazon is pretty generous with their return policy anyhow (though I might just keep it since I could always read it on my tablet instead, even though that's far from ideal). The translation seems fine based on the few pages I looked at.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

im caught up with attack on titan
god drat it
it's really good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I can’t believe I only learned today that Tanya the Evil is a satire

In my defense, I didn’t watch it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

DoubleDonut posted:

I can’t believe I only learned today that Tanya the Evil is a satire

In my defense, I didn’t watch it

In your defense, the nazis watching it didn't realize either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it took me a while to realize because I saw the main character was a young girl in military dress with a smug smile and my first instinct was "I've seen enough of these profile pictures"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

to be fair it didn't explicitly reveal the premise until episode 2 so a lot of people who do first episode impressions showed their asses with it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's called Tanya the Evil not Tanya the Nice!

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Srice posted:

It's called Tanya the Evil not Tanya the Nice!

Plenty of people like to think of themselves as the Necessary Evil

But also I didn’t assume it was Nazi poo poo so much as I thought “oh, alternate history with wizards, the military history guys will love this” and moved on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the tanya nazis dont really exist tbh. oh no some guys on 4chan got kind of into it, this work is Tainted. who cares

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i watched tanya like 83 years ago and dont remember what the nazi stuff was. what happened?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
no no the premise of this convo is that you didn’t remember it because it’s fake

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
As an atheist I like Tanya because the protagonist is all about trying to expose Being X for the God fraud they are.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tanya is a member of the alan smith institute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember being disappointed when the lady who played Tanya in Red Alert 2 turned out to be super weird